Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/15 13:10:22 (permalink)
stlouisguy, thank you for the commentary on Cassano's. What you are describing sounds like an ideal, one that most of their locations that I tried at various times in the last 15 years never successfully achieved. At its best it is sublime, but I have had better frozen pizzas than the Cassano's I have tried since the early 90s. I've simply given up on them.

>> There was a place on the corner of Far Hills and Stroop on the western edge of Kettering that was pretty good too, but I can't recall the name right now...

Kettering Village Inn. A family run restaurant that was sold and demolished and a Chipotle stands there now.
post edited by donw9876 - 2009/05/15 13:11:48
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/15 14:44:31 (permalink)
Dewey's Pizza is about on par with Troni's, and I agree they would both rate about  7 out of 10 on a scale rating them against a great NY pie.  Dewey's has locations in both greater Cinci and Dayton.   I am still unable to post on this thread despite several attempts to get board management to fix the problem:

Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=379488&mpage=8#511580

Here are Dewey's website and locations in greater Dayton:

http://deweyspizza.com/about
UD Brown Street
131 Jasper St.
Dayton, OH 45409

Kettering
4365 Far Hills Ave.
Dayton, OH 45429

Thank you to all that voted YES on ISSUE 14! We now have a beer permit and are able to move forward in our process to open Dewey's in Kettering. We will keep you updated on when the store will open. Please feel free to contact us if you would like more information.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18889
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/15 15:09:54 (permalink)
donw9876

stlouisguy, thank you for the commentary on Cassano's.

As bad as apizza is in the Columbus area, Cassano's didn't last a year here.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/15 16:02:19 (permalink)
Troni's is imho far superior to Dewey's.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/15 16:19:41 (permalink)
In what ways?
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 637
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/15 16:37:26 (permalink)
donw9876

stlouisguy, thank you for the commentary on Cassano's. What you are describing sounds like an ideal, one that most of their locations that I tried at various times in the last 15 years never successfully achieved. At its best it is sublime, but I have had better frozen pizzas than the Cassano's I have tried since the early 90s. I've simply given up on them.

>> There was a place on the corner of Far Hills and Stroop on the western edge of Kettering that was pretty good too, but I can't recall the name right now...

Kettering Village Inn. A family run restaurant that was sold and demolished and a Chipotle stands there now.

Yep, I think that was it, the Kettering Village Inn.   Not far from that little shopping center, right?

And yeah, Cassano's can be really good, or horrid, depending.....I was fortunate enough to be associated with them during the good days, but that was a long, long time ago.

the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 637
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/15 16:38:36 (permalink)
NYPIzzanut, I forgot all about Dewey's.  There is a location here, in Kirkwood, another suburb of St. Louis.  Excellent pizza, IMO.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/15 16:42:52 (permalink)
stlouisguy

NYPIzzanut, I forgot all about Dewey's.  There is a location here, in Kirkwood, another suburb of St. Louis.  Excellent pizza, IMO.
What I like about them, aside from their wonderful pizza, is that their branch locations maintain tight quality control  - so that each of their locations produce the same product.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/16 15:41:08 (permalink)
Has anyone tried this pizza place:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/restaurants/content/restaurants/lb/leadbelly_joes.html

The Leadbelly Boys Rate Home Page

Joe's Pizzeria

By Leadbelly Boys (Ron Rollins, Ray Marcano and Jim Dillon
More on restaurant
Joe's has been a mainstay for 42 years, perched in the shadow of a Domino's, believe it or not, at Airway and Smithville. Ultra-clean, simple decor makes for an inviting dining room, where you can eat some of the very best pizza Montgomery County has to offer: medium-thick, crispy crust, wired sauce and a heavy blanket of toppings and cheese. Served on a piece of thick foil and looking much bigger than its 14 inches, a Joe's pizza will definitely send you home happy.
Three-item jumbo (14-inch): $13.75; ask about the EB X EB for $19.75 jumbo.
Leadbelly note: They sell unbaked pies you can heat at home.
Ray: As a pizza snob who views Midwest pies as red sauce and cheese on a cracker, Joe's has turned me. Nice chewy crust, zesty sauce, gooey cheese. Midwest pie? Fugedaboudit. This is the real deal.
Jim: I feel blessed.
Ron: For my time and money, Joe's may well be the top pizza in town. It sets the standard. The sauce is some of the best I've tasted. Try the sausage: The coriander busts out of every hunk.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5111
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/16 15:56:25 (permalink)
I've seen many pizza shops all over the country advertise, "New York Style Pizza". However, I've yet to see a pizza shop advertise, "Dayton Style Pizza".
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/16 16:35:24 (permalink)
Twinwillow

I've seen many pizza shops all over the country advertise, "New York Style Pizza". However, I've yet to see a pizza shop advertise, "Dayton Style Pizza".

And the ones that claim they make NY style pies usually make something totally terrible and not even vaguely resembling NY pizza.

Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/16 17:17:51 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Has anyone tried this pizza place:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/restaurants/content/restaurants/lb/leadbelly_joes.html

The Leadbelly Boys Rate Home Page

Joe's Pizzeria

By Leadbelly Boys (Ron Rollins, Ray Marcano and Jim Dillon
More on restaurant
Joe's has been a mainstay for 42 years, perched in the shadow of a Domino's, believe it or not, at Airway and Smithville. Ultra-clean, simple decor makes for an inviting dining room, where you can eat some of the very best pizza Montgomery County has to offer: medium-thick, crispy crust, wired sauce and a heavy blanket of toppings and cheese. Served on a piece of thick foil and looking much bigger than its 14 inches, a Joe's pizza will definitely send you home happy.
Three-item jumbo (14-inch): $13.75; ask about the EB X EB for $19.75 jumbo.
Leadbelly note: They sell unbaked pies you can heat at home.
Ray: As a pizza snob who views Midwest pies as red sauce and cheese on a cracker, Joe's has turned me. Nice chewy crust, zesty sauce, gooey cheese. Midwest pie? Fugedaboudit. This is the real deal.
Jim: I feel blessed.
Ron: For my time and money, Joe's may well be the top pizza in town. It sets the standard. The sauce is some of the best I've tasted. Try the sausage: The coriander busts out of every hunk.

I will try it Sunday or Monday and report back...Russ
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5111
Re:Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza 2009/05/16 21:46:59 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Twinwillow

And the ones that claim they make NY style pies usually make something totally terrible and not even vaguely resembling NY pizza.

Sadly, very true. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1