There is evidentally a Wegman's effect!

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/06/09 17:57:39 (permalink)

There is evidentally a Wegman's effect!

Wow, I go to Costco every thursday, today I parked right in front, plenty of spaces, there couldn't have been more than 100-150 customers in the place, about a 1/4th of usual crowd. Wegman's opened in Frederick last Subday, they had 20,000 customers/visitors. All the local Super Fresh stores closed for good, Giant Food closed it's onetime most popular location here and spent $40,000,000 upgrading a store in Worman's Mill, very nearby to Wegman's. I went to Wegman's tuesday, report to follow...In any case other stores must wince when they hear about the new Sheriff coming to town! What's been the fallout in your Wegman's area?

4 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:There is evidentally a Wegman's effect! 2011/06/09 18:03:26 (permalink)
    My description of Wegman's...It's the only store where you can spend 75 bucks, fit it all in one bag, and walk out with a smile on your face.

They are a tough competitor, but they don't compete on price.  Very good cheese and seafood sections.

Plus, they purchase as much local produce and other products as they can, they hire local lawyers and other professionals. 
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    Re:There is evidentally a Wegman's effect! 2011/06/09 18:14:22 (permalink)
    The Wegman's effect, as I have called it for years, is when Wegmans is coming, other stores shape up or ship out and grocery shopping improves in the area. I've seen it countless times. And as a CNY native, I love that grocery shopping has improved here in the Mid-Atlantic. It needed it!

However, in Woodmere Town Center, a Wegmans and a Costco sit side by side. In some ways, they're not competitors, in other ways they are. For example, Costco sells a lot of products not offered in other stores, so, no competition there.

But, Milk is 2.66/gal at Costco, Wegmans is normally 2.94 and they have permanently reduced it at the Wegmans to...yup, 2.66. On the other hand, some items, like Wegmans Paper Towels, are actually less expensive than Kirkland Brand, and same as Wegmans Pull-ups compares to Kirkland Pull ups. But other bulk items, like Wipes and Frozen Fruit and Vegetables are cheaper at Costco - and high quality too.

So, the Costco effect is rubbing off at Wegmans, too in this case. I think they compliment each other VERY well. Right now, my grocery (including household products) bill is 50/50 between the stores. Some weeks I spend more at Costco when I'm not stocking up on Costco items, while other weeks, while I'm stocking up on Wegmans items, I spend more at Wegmans. I've been tracking and it's dead even, except for some CNY products that I splurge on occasionally - but they're more of a treat than regular weekly shopping, and I don't do it every week.

Actually, it's more like 47.5/47.5 with 5% going to Harris Teeter for tiny pick-ups when I'm trying to stretch it.

Still, my weekly run to my Oasis in PG County is blissful. Costco and Wegmans, they're my favorite team!

SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1004
    Re:There is evidentally a Wegman's effect! 2011/06/10 13:12:51 (permalink)
    I've lived with a Wegmans nearby for the better part of 30 years, and I have never seen one close, only the other ones in town.

I stopped shopping there for a long time, because they were too expensive, and had switched to a Price Chopper across the street from the Wegmans I'd go to. Now they're less expensive than Price Chopper for the most part. I don't buy meat there though, I can get the same quality or better at another store for less.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4058
    Re:There is evidentally a Wegman's effect! 2011/06/12 21:17:43 (permalink)
    Wegman's is definitely on my "top 10" list about the things I miss about NoVA. 

In that market, Wegman's in Sterling was noticably lower priced than my Giant in McLean.

Down here in Dallas all we have is Market Street (rather like Harris-Teeter) and Central Market which does have great meats, cheeses, and produce.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1