Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior

Author
DWags541
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
2012/03/25 13:51:55 (permalink)

Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior

I've been looking into these lights. They are 12v. The company makes various models and sizes, some even recessed, which seems ideal for my application.
I think I will get 2-4 of the model 746 for my interior.

Has anyone used these lights in their build?

Dave

8 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior 2012/03/25 18:06:19 (permalink)
    give us a link to the lights
    lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior 2012/03/25 18:51:21 (permalink)
    You will be huge bucks ahead if you pick up a small DC-2- AC inverter, connect it to your battery and plug in regular 110vAC lights. Our Walmart has these for under $10 each. They can be linked together ( up to 9 if you use the 8W tube... comes with the very short cord to link them together). I have them, light up quite well. They currently run off shore power but I will use my 700watt continuous/1500watt surge inverter once I get all of the lights in place (over 16 of them all total). This is not for the food cart, but for our bus. I figured it up. With my inverter and ALL the lights, I am saving over 50% over 12vDC Thin lights. BTW, they use the same light tube (light fixture uses expensive 12vDc ballast the florescent tubes are the same for ac or DC). The nice thing about the inverter is you can plug in 110AC signs, fans, etc (as long as you do not overload the inverter). More versatile than 12DC stuff. And cheaper. The low priced 12vDc light we put in our cart cost $14. We should have bought an inverter. I may do that yet. It would be nice to have a light up OPEN sign.

PS. I am very familiar with Thin Lites. Pricey little suckers but if you are going with DC lights, get the Thin Lites. They are well made and will not buRn up like the cheapie 12vDC versions.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2012/03/25 18:58:24
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior 2012/03/25 19:29:17 (permalink)
    Speaking of lights I thought these were pretty cool because they fold out and could be aimed down to the front of a trailer or truck at events. And folded back for travel.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/E...mp;hash=item27c44772a5
    THE WILD DOG
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior 2012/03/26 00:10:32 (permalink)
    Check out this video of a guy who bought these lights off ebay, I think he paid $20 for them, took a bit of time for shipping but worth EvERY penny... I've juggled with LED's and could never find a good one.. Here is all the proof I need to buy these lights...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyUKLKpbafQ
    www.youtube.com

I'll work on the ebay link and have it for ya in a day or so
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior 2012/03/26 01:02:19 (permalink)
    THE WILD DOG

Check out this video of a guy who bought these lights off ebay, I think he paid $20 for them, took a bit of time for shipping but worth EvERY penny... I've juggled with LED's and could never find a good one.. Here is all the proof I need to buy these lights...

I'll work on the ebay link and have it for ya in a day or so

You talking about the reference to the 1157 LED lights? The ones on the interior? The specs on those show they put out 80 lumens when I looked them up on Ebay. The fluorescent thin-lites I mentioned put out 1650 lumens. Obviously they eat more energy.
    I am attracted to his under-carriage light show as well as the band of lights installed externally that seem to brighten up the facade.

I saw some good waterproof LED strips (flexible), made in Hong Kong, on Ebay. They sell them in 5 meter strips. Sorry I cannot post links for another couple days. When I look at power consumption stats, it shows .8 amps per meter, or 4 amps for the whole strip. 48 watts per 5m strip, or 9.6 watts per meter. However, at 840 lumens per meter, it looks like the LED strips pack more punch for the energy consumption than the fluorescent.

I wonder how the 3M adhesive holds up over time and if there are other ways to mount the tape mechanically that would ensure a solid install.

Thanks for the video. Helpful indeed.

Dave
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior 2012/03/26 02:14:11 (permalink)
    Just made a few purchases via ebay. We'll see how long it takes to get here!
    Looks like I might save over half the money if I end up using these versus the florescent. If I can save energy consumption and get more life out of the lights, that is great too.
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior 2012/03/26 21:40:37 (permalink)
    I did buy 2 of those Thin Lights florescents from AA. They are quite pricey, but bright. I have 2 sets of regular RV incandescent that did the job but I wanted the interior of the kitchen to be bright like a regular B&M restaurant. The 2 extra fluorescents did exactly what I needed them to do.

Although, Lorna does have a good point. I already have a beefy inverter and I could've just hardwired 110v models into it. :- /
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Thin-Lite Flourescent lights for interior 2012/03/27 08:47:39 (permalink)
    damn nice lil trailer!! did you build it or have it built? thats a fortune in quilted stainless. is that where your 401k is sitting? if you built it, any source on the stainless? congrats, it would be tough to pack it any tighter than that. luv it,...

also, the only problem i see that i'd have is trying to convince wife that the trailer was just the right size and that the two hooter's girls waitress's that were working with me in the same space was absolutely necesary to the success of the biz.
    post edited by Bistro a go-go - 2012/03/27 08:50:02
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1