Things Forgotten

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 18
Author
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 10:43:28 (permalink)
CNW

Does anyone remember the old Heathkit stores where you could go and buy various electronic kits that contained all the parts to build a radio or other electronic device? My dad built one in the 60's that he still uses. I got an AM/FM radio kit for Christmas in the late 70's that I enjoyed putting together. The store in the Kansas City area went out of business in the early 80's. I have a twelve year old nephew that I thought would enjoy a kit like this but apparently no one makes them any more. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

Thanks

CNW

I built a CB radio similar with this one from a mail order Heathkit back in the late 50's

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 12:32:04 (permalink)
Falsies
Mimeograph paper
Hopscotch
riding on your friends bicycle handlebars
Bumper hitching on a street not cleared of snow
Snow forts
Weekly Life magazine
A local guy who was always drunk
Those things you put in cigarretts to make them explode
One potato, two potato, three potato, four...
Want to play 52 pick up?
Odorono [underarm deodorant]
Clearasil
Wax lips
Skipping
Prank phone calls. Is your icebox running? Do you have Prince Albert in a can?
Smoking corn silk
Cocaine nose drops, available with a doctor's perscription
Your fuse box
Encyclopedia salesmen
Superman's mailbag
The Mailman's mailbag
TI-4-2525 WE-6- 1212
Dogs chasing cars
Dice hung on rearview mirror
When Miss America pagent was important
Your out of your orbit
The city where the Coke was bottled, on the bottom of the bottle
Using Baby Oil and Iodine as suntan lotion
Ducktails
White Bucks
Howard Johnson's Tendersweet Fried Clams
Cigarrette holders
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 13:08:44 (permalink)
Body on Tap Shampoo

Now I have to throw a party so we can make our own formula.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18889
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 13:26:09 (permalink)
Things forgotten? I forgot my cell phone when I went to the Waffle House this morning.
edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2111
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 13:32:58 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Dice hung on rearview mirror

Or the NEW  fad of Bumper Nuts, aka Truck Nuts  ...

(visit at your own risk)  ... http://marissaaross.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/picture-53.png?w=420&h=263

Hahaha ... the devil made me do it!  ... ...
post edited by edwmax - 2012/08/25 13:36:05
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 14:33:13 (permalink)
TV Time popcorn.  It came in a two part bag with a stick of shortening on one side and the popcorn and salt on the other side.
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 15:13:33 (permalink)
That was in that hot sealed package with the corn and oil seperated. They came out with a flavor wand or something like that. The butter flavor went into the handle and sort of drizzled down a flat,plastic blade like a butter knife when you squeezed it. You stirred the popcorn after you made it and this wand coated the popcorn. Gee that was so 1960's.

If you bought that on the low end of the scale instead or those bottles of colored corn soaking in the oil already in the bottle, you probably had a family that would only buy those multi-pack boxes of the "cheap" candy bars that had Zero, Zagnut, and several other cheap tasting. The whole box of several wrapped bars cost a quarter....and always had a stale taste.

Your popcorn would go great with a pitcher of a drink made from Fix-A-Drink. Concentrated and colorful bottles of non-carbonated drink mixes/syrups.

Then you would either have rock hard ice pops made in the white mold of 6 cones with the yellow plastic handle inserted on top or have the store or off-brand of cool pops in the long,plastic sleeve. Those always had a chemical taste unlike the real thing...especially the grape.

For snacks, you probably remember the off-brand or store brand oreos that were much bigger and in big, economy packages. They tasted lousy,mushy,and greasy. I think the generic term was Sandwich Creams. Mom's seemed to think it was a great deal. Then there was the store or off brand potato chips. Never crisp and always gummy and had that rancid smell, unlike premium brands.

How about the store brands of peanut butter back then where the oil would seperate from the peanut butter. It would be so stiff, you could barely spread it and rip the bread.

Remember how soft white bread used to be? You could flatten it out with your fingers and eat it that way. The crusts were so bad on the store brands, that many people cut if off for the kids
post edited by DawnT - 2012/08/25 15:16:40
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 15:25:35 (permalink)
Our potato chips & pretzels were delivered in big tins...from the Charles Chips man.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/08/25 15:30:08
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18889
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 15:30:29 (permalink)
You want Charles Chips?

http://www.charleschips.com/
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 15:35:52 (permalink)
The waffle chips are great. Hopefully the same. The man was faster than 3-4 weeks and was a celebrity like Mr. Softee.. We got our soda from the gas station.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8333
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 16:00:48 (permalink)
Wampum

Remember making mosaics?

Monster models?

REAL model glue?

Cracking marbles by boiling them and then putting them into ice water?

Burning leaves with a magnifying glass.  Was I the only one?  Magnolia leaves burning have a wonderful aroma.  (I type innocently)

Individual servings of ice cream that came in a box that you removed to put it on top of the cone.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 16:18:55 (permalink)
Model glue. Snif. Snif. Like Super elastic bubble plastic everyone starts talking slower after a few minutes.

I had a chalk art class.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 16:58:33 (permalink)
Remember the greasy pastels?

I forgot about the elastic bubble plastic.  I think we also chewed it.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 17:19:23 (permalink)
I think they bridged the gap between crayons and chalk. Those came in a nice big box.

I have to find a Spirograph.

No wonder parents took out Gerber Life policies with toy companies like Wham-O
supplying the fun.
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 21:30:24 (permalink)
mar52
Remember the greasy pastels?

They still think they make them Mar. When I used to take the kids to the arts and craft store, they had them at least up to the mid 90's. I used to have a big set during Jr. High that was given to me for a present by a family friend. Big, embossed steel box that was about 12" high and 20"  with three rows. Cray Pas I think was the generic name when they referred to them at school or grease paint sticks. Mine were Italian. The tin it came in was gorgeous. 
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1770
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 21:38:00 (permalink)
DawnT

I got thinking about some of the crap sold to kids last night...naturally whammo comes to mind. These were fad toys I'm thinking about that made you part of an elementary school group.

Silly Putty  boys  came in an egg. It could bounce, lift print off newspaper and i'm not sure what else.

Super Stuff.  Sort of reminiscent of the green slime the boys were playing with when my kids were in school. It came in a pint cottage cheese container as a packet of powder that once hydrated with water turned into a rubbery pink goo that streched and you could blow bubbles into it. It would stick to clothes.

Super Balls. Boys. I think these are still around, but a buck or more was a lot of money for a little ball about 1 1/2" in the early 60's was a lot of money. Point was for the kid to smash the ball on the floor as hard as he could and it bounced real high and could make great marks on the ceiling and the best part was drop ceilings would steal the balls forever. Outside they often ended up on roofs.  Idiot boys never gave any thought to how many times it would bounce in a room and when they hit, they hurt! After use on pavement and rough surfaces, the balls would start to fragment in little,tiny, pieces leaving the ball covered in craters. I wonder how many have been recovered off roofs decades later.

Squirt Rockets. Boys. These lasted a long time in the grand scheme of the 60's, maybe because of the space age. Two plastic rockets that came with a hand pump. There was an extra large version too. You filled them up with water and pumped them up with pressure. Releasing the clip that held the rocket would send it pretty high. Most of the rockets kept the Super balls company on roofs for many years.

Hula Hoops. Girls. Need I say more. At one point they added something inside to make a noise. I think those were called Shoop Shoop Hula Hoops when they first came out. That recurred twice while I was in school. The original and the Shoop one.

I don't remember the name of what was a foam block in three colors white, pink and something else connected to two very long elastic bands. The point was to shake it back and forth. This was a girl's thing. Like boxball or hopscotch, there would be a line of players waiting their turns to participate. 

Squirt gun that came with a huge bottle of red, disappearing ink. Boys. Need I say more.

Frisbees..never went away even through ones that lit up and those that glowed in the dark.

Others I can think of that the CPSC would rather not. Lawn Darts, slip and slide, some idiotic head looking thing that connected to the hose and jumped all over the place and knocked out that loose tooth. Thing Maker sets and Vac U Form. The reason why many 50 to 60 y/o's are missing partial finger prints. Swing Wing cap with rotating streamer. The reason some of the same age group probably have cervical vertabrae injuries.

Mr. Potato Head, later deemed racist. the original's used potatoes. Cooties. Looked like huge ants with removable parts. Lite Brites. Girl's only. You learned to be reclusive a few years earlier. Easy Bake Oven. Duncan then Aladdin YoYo's alternating with tops. Then came those gyrocopic tops from mattel. Hot wheels/tracks  replaced matchbox collecting and electric train sets. Nuclear play set from gilbert...be the only kid on your block. Just kidding, but they did have a nuclear kit.

One thing that shouldn't be forgotten was all of the gun type toys that would freak out the most DHS officers today. Radios that turned to machine guns with a press of a button. Realsitic looking pistols and rifles that took bullets with spring loaded projectiles that took "greenie caps" for the bang. Pop guns based on BB guns. secret agent kits that had more combinations of guns you could imagine and usually a camera too. Lots of bang toys that took caps like a spring loaded booby traps complete with trip wire. I'd love to see the look on someone in law enforcement's face if they came across some of these toys that were common place back then. The toy stores and departments used to look like armory's. Guess boys on Ritalin don't have much interest in things like this anymore.

Then there were the insider toys. You had to collect box tops, tokens, or buy (pester in children't currency) an expensive pair of shoes to quality. Code Rings, Pop Rockets. This was a new toy of the season.  

Dawn brought it up.......I remember my 007 attache case....I could do all sorts of mayhem with that!

On a slightly different note, I was in Greece last September.  In the street areas, I saw lots of young men with these "heads" made out of some form of silly putty type substance that they were selling.  The idea......as demonstrated over and over by them.....was to throw them onto a plank where they would splat.  Eventually they would re-form.  In this politically correct day and age I won't mention my guesses as to the ethnicity of the young vendors, but it was a bit disconcerting to watch.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 21:38:07 (permalink)
I learned some techinques for making skylines. I am old enough to graduate to a nice Italian model!!! Woohoo!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 21:38:30 (permalink)
I'm loving this.

Batik

Tie Dye

Macrame

CC, I think a friend of mine has a Spiralgraph up on ebay now.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 21:43:00 (permalink)
Latch hook! I always took the little strings out of the plastic wrapping and I paid for that when I had a pile to sort through to find the right color. I couldn't resist.

Ohh...Spirograph!!!
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/08/25 21:44:19
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 21:43:45 (permalink)
Darn.  She sold it last week:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/V...mp;hash=item53ee30d530

You could probably find another there.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 21:46:28 (permalink)
I will keep an eye out. Thanks. I could use some dinner theme suggestions. What are some of your favorites? Sounds like fun and the indoor season of entertainment is on the way.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 22:05:43 (permalink)
Pearl Drops Tooth Polish

Vintage Village Lip Lickers. I wanted a strawberry one so bad. I got a bubble gum one for my birthday. My auntie had a vanilla one.

Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew Mysteries

The Boxcar Children

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 22:22:10 (permalink)
Dinner themes?

I've done Hawaii, Germany, Italy, Greece, Latin, Korea, Caribbean, New Orleans, France, a whole bunch others and next year I'm thinking about Brazil, Thailand, Vietnam or Southern.

Don't think I have the strength/energy to decorate like I have in the past. 

When  was just out of high school friends did a Beast Feast.  Served things like spaghetti, mashed potatoes, soup and no utensils were served.

My favorite them party was a Tacky Party.  Swanson TV dinners and Bologna sandwiches were there for you to make yourself.  You entered through the back door, laundry was hanging in the bathroom, the host was dressed in curlers and a house coat (we called them dusters) and it was her birthday.

Gifts followed the theme... she received a half of bottle of wine, used socks, used golf balls and scratched records.  There were a lot of other things both theme and gifts, but I don't remember them.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 22:34:38 (permalink)
I love the tacky party idea!

Green mud masks from the 70s and Dippity Do..after dessert. The kids will run as fast as they can.

I have my Mother to advise and enough old cookbooks to throw together a bridge night...complete with homemade mix & tacky food from the times our Moms and Grandmas used to play. I remember lots of bottles but not much food. It was more like gin nights.
stricken_detective
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 23:21:35 (permalink)
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/25 23:46:57 (permalink)
If all goes well we can fly That Girl kites and spin around Times Square...before mussin' up the hair.
stricken_detective
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/26 01:15:36 (permalink)
Line from a John Candy movie, Summer Rental:

Your wife's on my Wham-O.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/26 10:45:54 (permalink)
Whenever you see a macramé friendship bracelet the question is what's her name?

Cologne vending machines. No bottles or samples. A spray nozzle that dispensed a few shots of a choice of three scents. Choices for men were usually Jade East Old Spice or Brut. I don't know what ladies choice was...maybe they were better prepared with scents for the day or evening to count on a vending machine in a restroom. Especially with all those beautiful atomizers that were part getting ready for a day or eventing out.

Pencil vending machines.

I just read Chanel No. 5 was one of the perfume choices. That's a bargain.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/08/26 11:26:59
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1343
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/26 12:14:04 (permalink)
Although tops from launchers are all the rage, it is difficult (albeit possible) to find the old hand-thrown tops. I got a couple for my grandsons a year or two ago.

Bart
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/26 13:16:08 (permalink)
bartl

Although tops from launchers are all the rage, it is difficult (albeit possible) to find the old hand-thrown tops. I got a couple for my grandsons a year or two ago.

Bart

Located just kitty corner from that Roadfood favorite, Fred's, Home of the World's Greatest Hamburger, The Spinning Top and Yoyo Museum is also a nice visit in Burlington, Wi.
 http://www.topmuseum.org/
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 18
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1