Things Forgotten

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 18
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18860
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/19 19:15:05 (permalink)
Leather helmets, hip pads and high-top cleats.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8315
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/19 19:36:33 (permalink)
Not owning your own telephone... owned by the provider.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8655
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/19 20:40:28 (permalink)
Oh, Lord, Mar-remember that distinctly. But, my Dad discovered how to have a 2nd telephone( we6-1212, will never forget it!) without Ma Bell knowing. Probably got my life of crime-ordering chocolate milk from the milkman-just added it to the order without Mom knowing.
By the way, I was left handed, as well. While I was taught by ex-nuns to write right handed,beautifully,, I do most of my cooking left handed. Frankly, am pretty ambidextrious. Which explaind my insanity!

post edited by ann peeples - 2012/08/19 20:45:00
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/19 22:14:50 (permalink)
I love mahjong but I think it flies under the radar.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 09:02:24 (permalink)
ann peeples

Oh, Lord, Mar-remember that distinctly. But, my Dad discovered how to have a 2nd telephone( we6-1212, will never forget it!) without Ma Bell knowing.

Ma bell could tell how many phones were in use at a home by how much it took to charge the bell circuit so it was just a matter of disconnecting the ringer in any 'illegal' phone.

What I could never understand was how Ma Bell was able to charge extra for touch tone service.  The switch equipment was far more efficient with touch tone phones than with rotary phones.

Remember push button phones that had a switch that made it either touch tone or 'pulsed' if you didn't have touch tone service?
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 09:09:01 (permalink)
CCinNJ

I love mahjong but I think it flies under the radar.

I  love mah jong but I play it on the computer and on my Kindle. There are about a million different varieties available.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 09:13:08 (permalink)
Busy signals.

Sweet 16 parties! Since nobody here qualified we got our own phone lines way before 16...because we were spoiled...and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd get at least one call a day to remind me.

I've found such beautiful sets of mahjong tiles along the way (or my friends find or end up with them and add to my collection). We play all the time...usually our "season" is from Oct. to Feb. and cards the rest of the year.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/08/20 09:20:21
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5207
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 09:28:47 (permalink)
iluvcfood

How about these guys?   There were quite a few different colors and variations.
You filled the bottoms with baking soda and put them in water and they floated up and down.  
They came in specially marked cereal boxes and they also had submarines and boats as well.
They used to sell for BIG bucks on the Bay but I havent checked the prices of them in a long time!

How about refillable lighters?  I know they're still around but not nearly in the quantity in the days before the disposables were introduced.  Ronsonol, anyone?

kozel

Remember push button phones that had a switch that made it either touch tone or 'pulsed' if you didn't have touch tone service?
Don't a lot of phones still have this feature?  The newest one in my house is probably 10 years old and still allows the tone/pulse choice.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 12:13:43 (permalink)
Dawn,
Dressing "Up" for travel extended back into the rail era (Pre-Amtrak) too. No jeans and tee shirts for this kid...had to be a dress shirt and 'church' pants for the 4 day ride from L A to Detroit. Real Shoes and socks, no sandals for the 'men'.
The Santa Fe RR had a Registered Nurse on each train (Super Chief and El Capitan) that I rode. She was dressed in a uniform like a conductor, but with her RN Nurse cap. She checked on me two or three times a day during the trips and asked the porters to be sure I got to the Dining car ok... I really didn't need her checking up on me...but she was usually a very nice person and gave me someone to talk to for awhile.. I rode alone from age 12 to 16 to see my grandparents each summer.  Travelers Aid ladies would meet my train in Chicago and transfer me from the Dearborn Station to the LaSalle St Station to get on the NYC train to Detroit.
  I can't imagine a 12 year old doing that rail trip in today's world.
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1768
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 13:18:14 (permalink)
chewingthefat

FriedClamFanatic

chewingthefat

Doing Jacobs ladder
Broken shoelaces
Galoches
Catching rubber in all 3/4 gears
Moon/half Moon hub caps
Blowouts
No metal handle pullup metal ice trays
Arm pumping to make truckers blow their air horns
Chinese tag
Getting your cuff caught in your bicycle chain
Zits
Ladies choice slow dance
Coronet magazine
Looking up dirty words in the dictionary
Lighting farts

Damn Chewy................................All 3 gears????????? You da man...........I had a bud with a (parents) Hemmy Station wagon with push-button Gear Shifting..............lol....he could make that sucker squeal at times

VW bugs had sunroofs......not rubber, hard as i tried.........but man....you could run them up sand dunes on Cape Cod for a long way before getting stuck or tipping over! The trick was in knowing when to turn so you still had enough momentum to get back down and not slip sideways or roll.

And OK.i give up...I played TAG....played Hospital TAG (played Hospital too .but that's another story) We played "guns"...never got into the ethnic stuff for some reason..did the rope around 2 guys for "instant alive again".Buck-buck, Simon says.etc........but never played Chinese tag...what is it?

Where you got tagged, you had to keep one hand on the spot where you got it, tough deal if someone got you on the lower leg!

That's what we called hospital tag
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 14:02:43 (permalink)
Gift registries. Yikes. Either people don't know China patterns or they are addicted to having 5000 paper plates in the house to match that many rolls of paper towels. It's sad.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 14:19:29 (permalink)
We still have gift registries.... But, instead of registering at a department store for a few things, they now call Bed, Bath and Beyond and have a computer generated list made of everything in their inventory.

I refuse to get anything on those lists as there is no thought behind them.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 14:52:22 (permalink)
Last summer after having gone 15 years or so without being invited to a wedding, I was invited to 4 weddings, 4 wedding showers, a baby shower and 2 graduations. I got hit with presents up the wazoo. One bride to be admitted to me that it was "fun" to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond with one of those "price guns" and hit everyhting she saw. It was fun! No way was anyone going to buy her a $400 Dyson vaccum! I did buy one gift off the BB&B website because they wrap and deliver and it worked out in that situation. I gave a present to one shower and wound up sending money to everything else.
post edited by kland01s - 2012/08/20 14:58:07
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 17:54:29 (permalink)
With 10 kids (all over 33 at this point in time) and 2 dozen grandkids at various stages of development from newborn/or coming soon, to college students and one w/ a live-in boyfriend who plans on marriage some day soon...We tend to take a more structured look at the gift thing. The grandkids who pay a social call on us sometime during the holiday season (Mid-December-New Years) will find a card with cash with their name on it on our Christmas tree.  Little ones (pre-teen +- ) get  cash in their birthday cards. HS level get cash for Graduation, The adults get treated to a dinner out with us whenever they visit...not too often these days as all have growing and busy schedules of their own.
We have not been faced with an out of family social event (wedding/funeral etc) for a long time.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 18:39:15 (permalink)
God Bless you with 10 children.

Here's a really fun site if you love the ol' Department Stores...

http://departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.com/?m=0
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 23:15:33 (permalink)
mar52
Anyone have one of those pens that held 4 different colors of ink?

On the same trip to Old Navy where I saw the Astronaut Ice Cream, I also saw one of those pens with like a dozen different colors of ink. Hey, it was a slow wait on line.

Bart
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/20 23:52:42 (permalink)
Great find CC. Thanks for posting the link.

earlier today I got thinking about the big hulabaloo they were making while I was in elementary school about Esperanto. We all were going to be speaking an international language one day. All this was timed about the NY world's fair and the real one in Canada around '63-'66. It seemed that every Weekly Reader had something about it and words to learn for a while and then by '69 or '70 you never heard a word about it again. I looked it up and it's still going strong according to Wiki.

During Jr High or early High school when those huge, 12 or 10 color pens were sitting in the checkout lane in Walgreens, there was another weird one that I can't find on the net. It was supposed to be the revolutionary new pencil. It looked sort of like a Bic orange stick pen, but had these little blue cones that had a sharpened pencil point at the end. I don't remember how many, maybe 10 or so stacked in side. When the pencil point got dull, you didn't sharpen it, you simply pulled it off the end and stuck in in the top, pushing out a new point/cone into place. I think it was called a Klock II. Very heavy advertising campaign here and then it vanished just as quickly. I don't know what the status is on mechanical pencils now. I never had much luck with them. There was the type you rotated and the other that by pusing down on the top, it dispensed a bit more. Then there was the Flair's. No big deal, but do any of your remember the all of the book covers, doutags, folders, and general sheets on poster board that were white with black bordered drawings of psychedellic and fantasy scenes meant to be colored in with these markers? Ultimate study hall or class time waster. Yeah, I know, Who's Peter Max or Who's Robert Crumb?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 00:45:47 (permalink)
I so remember those pencils!  If I remember right the lead was a sort of plastic.

Were Pee Chee Folders  (spelling?) a California thing?

DayGlo Paint?  Still made?

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 00:59:52 (permalink)
Did anyone else have to write their finals in blue books?

DawnT
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 01:30:29 (permalink)
You mean the full sized 8 1/2' x 11 , college note rulled pages ? There was about 10 or so pages in between two, baby blue cover sheets you put your name,class, and student number on the front cover for exams. That was the standard when I was in college for midterms and finals separate from the exam sheet so they could use them again. You had to buy your own at the bookstore. We never used those in high school.

Or do you mean those hardboard covered books that had numbered and ruled pages so you couldn't remove one without it being noticed? Those were our standard lab books we turned in after completing a lab. Those were smaller and they used them as standard lab books in the lab that I worked in too.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 07:34:53 (permalink)
My pleasure Dawn.

The little black book. Poof. Gone. Forgotten.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 07:51:35 (permalink)
Dawn
   The Light-blue Essay Exam Booklet was smaller in dimension than the standard 8.5 x 11 inch pages.  In the college it came with the test We didn't have the students buy them. I used them for finals right up to the time i retired... except for my on-line classes where email was the format for communication.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1177
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 13:09:01 (permalink)
To go with those aluminum ice cube trays which I hated trying to open, those aluminum tumblers that came in bright colors, that every family in the 50's had, and no one liked drinking out of because of the condensation, and that metallic rim.  A few years ago my mom and I had a good laugh over them since they are now selling in catalogs as a retro item - $40 for a set of 4.

There was a laundry detergent that came with a small plastic juice glass in every box, and then there were saltines sold in tins, and some brands of coffee and teas (Luzianne)  that were sold in tin canisters you could reuse. 
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 13:51:53 (permalink)
BelleReve

To go with those aluminum ice cube trays which I hated trying to open, those aluminum tumblers that came in bright colors, that every family in the 50's had, and no one liked drinking out of because of the condensation, and that metallic rim.  A few years ago my mom and I had a good laugh over them since they are now selling in catalogs as a retro item - $40 for a set of 4.

We used to get those with our milk delivery. They had cottage cheese in them.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 14:03:19 (permalink)
Dr. Scholl's original exercise sandals. Wooden with denim strap and buckle...raised grip crest. Very loud. Won't sneak up on anyone while wearing those. Recent comeback means they were not forgotten. Not comfortable when I was 8...but not forgotten.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/08/21 14:04:22
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1177
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 14:10:59 (permalink)
CCinNJ - saw them in a recent VermontCountryStore catalog for $69.99.  In the 80's there was a local drugstore chain here that carried them for $9.99. 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 14:20:58 (permalink)
Macy's too! My how times have changed.

They made some noise when they were in a big bin. I always tried to distract my Mother from seeing them...and especially buying them. That meant I would be barefoot of pavement for a good part of the summer. They were hard to manage for an 8 year old. Ohh...it's good for you! So was the foot soak.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 14:54:07 (permalink)
The light blue books like Al described.  I hated them as much as I loved my Lab Books.  (Science/health minor)

Colleges accepting locals.
DawnT
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 15:43:42 (permalink)
Maybe the mind plays tricks. I recently came across a box of files from my undergrad studies, so there should be plenty in there. Maybe our's were larger. We could only use the ones they sold in the bookstore with the university's logo. They didn't sell anything else and this wasn't something that you'd find in a stationary store.

Those tumblers. Gee I remember them. The had sort of a flared top and sort of squared of towards the top too IIRC. Metalic Red, Blue, a sort of orangish yellow and green. I remember them, two sizes,  but we never used them either. They had scratches through the anodized finish..I think it was because of the look. I think all of that went into the aluminum junk bucket after my grandparents died. They were sort of horders...depression mentality.

Anyone remember the first plastic curtains for windows and showers? That strong smell and they got sticky after a while. How about the early Scotch tape that came in the white and plaid metal cans. It turned yellow shortly afterwards peeled up and cracked leaving everything below orange brown.

Which was worse. Girls soaked in Jean Nate' or Guys soaked in Brut a few years later. Add to that Irish Spring and Woodruff when they first came out.

Tooth powder cans with the little metal caps.

For that matter everything came in cans or glass instead of plastic.

The soda crackers came in sheets of 4 back then too and then wrapped in a stack of 8 or so. We still have metal cans around here, but the old cans I remember were square like the boxes now, embossed, and some had a hinged lid.

Penny Loafers, Suede saddles, saddle oxfords. Remember that reddish brown color polish called Oxblood. Cat eye glasses. Beehives. French Rollls, Pixies.
Kneeling on the floor for the ruler measurement to see if your dress was too short. Guy's hair couldn't touch the collar. Chewing gum,passing notes, and whispering in class were the considered the major behaviour problems in schools.

Local colleges and universities don't accept locals anymore? Still do here with fixed percentages like before. Naturally the communitiy colleges are all local, but the universities AFAIK still have the same policies they did when I was at university.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Things Forgotten 2012/08/21 15:56:35 (permalink)
There's a fragrance that's here today...

Dry shampoo in a metal bottle.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 18
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1