Things I miss (Or why California sucks)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
johnnyblanco
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
2008/03/20 16:15:50 (permalink)

Things I miss (Or why California sucks)

Okay folks, first of all I am not really ragging on California. CA has some of the best weather around and while you do have to search a bit (even in West Sacramento, believe me I know) to find GOOD food.. it's out here

But you know what you CAN NOT find out here?

Wise Products, Drakes Cakes or the red nestle bars.

GOD I would kill for some of those things out here.. once I found in the 99 cent store some of the nestle bars.. the big ones.. I bought one.. thinking they'd have them next time I went.

Wrrrrrrrrrrong.

I also found cheeze doodles out here.. only once. Drakes stuff? NEVER.

Man sometimes I wish I was back in NY

Johnny

57 Replies Related Threads

BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/20 17:27:58 (permalink)
    Why would you want second-rate junk from the Eastern Time Zone when you can find a multitude of great product in California!!!!!!!
    johnnyblanco
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/20 19:09:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BBq King

Why would you want second-rate junk from the Eastern Time Zone when you can find a multitude of great product in California!!!!!!!

Really? maybe it's because I grew up with this stuff when I was a kid?
    NonnieD
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/20 19:32:12 (permalink)
    hi,
    speaking of the dollar store, once they had chocolate covered altoids yum, and I thought, well I just buy one because wasn't for sure what the quilty would be like, and they were just as good as any other store, just much cheaper.
    enjoy the weekend
    Nonnie
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/21 18:51:39 (permalink)
    I feel for you Johnny - especially living in W.Sac - that's definitely as far from the East Coast as one can get even in California.

I see Drakes on occasion in my supermarket here in Sonoma County.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/21 18:57:10 (permalink)
    What are red nestle bars-very curious!!!
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/21 19:19:18 (permalink)
    The red Nestle bars are milk chocolate - like plain Hershey's only Nestle's. They do have those here in California if you go to a well stocked grocer.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/24 12:13:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by johnnyblanco

Okay folks, first of all I am not really ragging on California. CA has some of the best weather around and while you do have to search a bit (even in West Sacramento, believe me I know) to find GOOD food.. it's out here

But you know what you CAN NOT find out here?

Wise Products, Drakes Cakes or the red nestle bars.

GOD I would kill for some of those things out here.. once I found in the 99 cent store some of the nestle bars.. the big ones.. I bought one.. thinking they'd have them next time I went.

Wrrrrrrrrrrong.

I also found cheeze doodles out here.. only once. Drakes stuff? NEVER.

Johnny

Wise potato chips are easily the snack food I miss the most not living in the northeast corridor any longer. Especially the bbq and onion garlic potato chips.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/24 12:21:30 (permalink)
    I've found Red Nestle's out here too.... what I wish we had here was Birch Beer and those eastern type hot dog buns that you can toast the outside of...oh..and real PIZZA! I hate this California pizza...
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/24 12:35:41 (permalink)
    There is good pizza in California - but not very much of it. Mostly California pizza does suck. What part of the state are you in, Jennifer?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/24 13:07:53 (permalink)
    Johnny and others,

Let me preface my remarks by saying I love my new (8 years now) home in Southern Indiana (near Louisville), and find that every time we talk of moving back to SoCal, the advantages of our life here far overshadow the benefits of returning to SoCal.

That doesn't mean I don't miss some of the things we enjoyed in our life on the High Desert.
    1. I miss the long-distance vistas of the 'wide-open spaces'. The San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains stand between our Former home and the Los Angeles Valley. It is roughly 40 miles from home to the tops of those mountains, yet daily we could watch them in detail. Views of 40 to 50 miles and more are common all around the desert area. Not having that 'view' here in the hilly area along the Ohio River is something I miss.

2. I am a Railfan. Watching and studying rail operations interests me. There are very few places within a days ride where one can get the perspective of multi-train operation on the same line here in the east. I can point out several places along old Hiway 66 in the California Desert where you can see far enough to see several trains on the same track going the same direction, with the proper safety interval of a couple of miles between them. Here the woods tend to obscure the ability to see a "whole" train at one time! I will say that the treat of watching Street operation, where a rail line (in operation) runs thru the middle of a town with vehicles sharing the space with the trains, is something I had never seen in the west. That type of operation is a daily happening in nearby New Albany,IN and LaGrange,KY.

3. Foods?- We can't find any BBQ places (or Steak Houses) in this area that do "Tri-Tip". We have a bunch of "fly-by-Night" Mexican Places exploding onto the scene here, but somehow we haven't found some that equal some of the older Tortilla factories or Tamale parlors we had in our desert town in SoCal. We have replaced our SHASTA soda with the Kroger brand. And it is fun taking part in the Bourbon Tours found here. We had a much wider range of ethnic food choices in SoCal than we do in our small town-city environment. Our friends here think we are nuts to consider a hundred mile ride (on-way) to go out to dinner, something we did often in SoCal. It is a very different life-style here, compared to there....Not better or worse...different.

4. Lots of folks from this area say they are very afraid of the threat of earthquakes, so they would never live in CA. We experienced several major quakes in SOCAL..living less than 10 miles (as the crow flies)from the San Andreas Fault and find the experience less fearful than the constant Tornado Warning Sirens/TV alerts here.

All in All, There are always plus's and minus's to living anywhere. If you are really dissatisfied with Sacramento (I have a brother in Granite Bay) then head east again. Life is too short to be unhappy about something as important as where you choose to live..
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6644
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/24 14:28:03 (permalink)
    I have spent the better portion of the last 8 winters in SoCal and so far I have found nothing about SoCal that sucks! Especially when you're coming from Alaska and are greeted in Palm Springs with blue skies, palm trees, flowers and great weather!

1. Yeah, yeah, you have HILLS in SoCal, we have REAL mountains in AK.

2. First thing on my agenda in CA is buy as much fresh, lovely produce as I can....not hard to do in the Palm Springs area. I usually start with artichokes, green beans, peas, all the lettuce, broccoli rabe, eggplant.........I go crazy in the produce market.

3. Right off of our back patio are 2 grapefruit trees, a lemon tree and an orange tree. Rosemary plants growing like shrubbery. Hummingbirds darting in and out of the feeders.

3. We have many earthquakes every day in Alaska.....going to SoCal is a reprieve for us!

4. Let's not forget about the hiking, having cocktails and meals outside, and THE POOL!

I could live in SoCal year round, I don't care how hot it gets in the summer.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/24 14:51:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples
    What are red nestle bars-very curious!!!
    You're a Cheesehead, so this could work.

Around Memorial Day, the city of Burlington, in that keystone part of Racine County, hosts Chocolate Fest, which is an excuse to listen to some music and celebrate the presence of Nestle's in the city. Come on down. It starts on May 23 and runs through Memorial Day.

http://www.chocolatefest.com/
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/25 08:45:00 (permalink)
    I was in L.A., many years ago, in a hotel, sleeping.
    An earthquake, big one, started shaking the place, then it stopped.
    I got up, calmly put my blue jeans on over my pajamas, picked up my duffle bag and told the others get dressed cause I'mn getting the hell out of L.A. I love NY.
    Big Ugly Mich
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/25 15:52:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fabulousoyster
    I was in L.A., many years ago, in a hotel, sleeping. An earthquake, big one, started shaking the place, then it stopped. I got up, calmly put my blue jeans on over my pajamas, picked up my duffle bag and told the others get dressed cause I'mn getting the hell out of L.A. I love NY.
    My mom got caught in San Francisco in 1989. My aunt still lives in the apartment building that the quake reduced to a pile of junk. Obviously, it was since rebuilt.
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/25 23:24:02 (permalink)
    Hey Al the Mayor (railfan) my hubby works for the railroad. He's only been a conductor since november 2003; he's come across many areas where people are just hanging around taking photos etc. He LOVES his job, even it takes him away for a few days at a time.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/26 17:01:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by uncledaveyo

There is good pizza in California - but not very much of it. Mostly California pizza does suck. What part of the state are you in, Jennifer?

100% agreement. The classics >>>> Cali fru-fru
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/29 11:55:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by uncledaveyo

smack in the middle.... I was lucky enough to grow up in a small town that had a pizza joint run by an Italian family from New York.. they've since died out and whoever's running the place has Pizza Hut sensibilities.. I've searched and searched here in Fresno and haven't found its equal, even in the places run by Italians...
    tmizerek
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/03/29 12:14:04 (permalink)
    Here in So Cal we have a chain called Philly's Best. They bring in everything for their cheesesteaks from Philly. They also sell Wise, Tastycakes, Birch Beer from PA. and Rolling Rock. Taylor Pork Roll is also on their menu.
    Check their web site for franchise info. http://www.eatphillysbest.com/

Ted
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/01 10:12:57 (permalink)
    It works both ways... I grew up in California and live on the east coast and there are LOADS of things I grew up with but can't get here! Either my mom sends my favorites or I mail order. (i.e. See's chocolate suckers, Mother's "pink & whites") Thankfully we can now get Red Vines, but they weren't available east of the Mississippi when I first moved here.

People who don't like CA pizza have never had Zachary's. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I have even frozen it to bring it back east!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/01 10:48:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cecif

It works both ways... I grew up in California and live on the east coast and there are LOADS of things I grew up with but can't get here! Either my mom sends my favorites or I mail order. (i.e. See's chocolate suckers, Mother's "pink & whites") Thankfully we can now get Red Vines, but they weren't available east of the Mississippi when I first moved here.

People who don't like CA pizza have never had Zachary's. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I have even frozen it to bring it back east!

What about artichokes and avocados? Do you get California ones or Florida ones?
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/01 16:37:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss
    What about artichokes and avocados? Do you get California ones or Florida ones?

Me? Or johnnyblanco?

We get a random assortment of both. I adore both btw. We get a lot more Florida (& Mexico) avocados, which are okay, and mostly CA artichokes but not enough, not nearly enough!!!!!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/06 13:33:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
    Originally posted by fabulousoyster
    I was in L.A., many years ago, in a hotel, sleeping. An earthquake, big one, started shaking the place, then it stopped. I got up, calmly put my blue jeans on over my pajamas, picked up my duffle bag and told the others get dressed cause I'mn getting the hell out of L.A. I love NY.
    My mom got caught in San Francisco in 1989. My aunt still lives in the apartment building that the quake reduced to a pile of junk. Obviously, it was since rebuilt.

Aw, that's nuthin'. I got caught in San Francisco in 1982. My apartment building is a pile of junk still but I just keep livin' there anyway.

To quote a poem I rather like ( http://content.cdlib.org/xtf/view?docId=hb4j49n9wb&brand=oac&doc.view=entire_text ):

"From the Ferries to Van Ness you're a God-forsaken mess,
    But the damndest finest ruins - nothin' more or nothin' less."

I live on Van Ness. And I can walk to pretty much all the good food one fat dude needs.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/07 07:11:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by johnnyblanco

So do we natives.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/07 07:42:03 (permalink)
    The things I miss about living in So. Cal.. cause I live not tooo far from Al the Mayor now.. been in Louisville for 9 years and I miss good dimsum, It's Its, the open air cafes, the beach and weather from CA.. BUT Louisville's food culture is exploding.. we have the highest per capita of restaurants per person in the nation... you can get anything from African to Vietnamese and everything in between.. yes we have our share of chains (Papa Johns gag) But we also have a fair share of local mom and pops.... so it's give and take...
    Catracks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/08 14:20:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Johnny and others,

Let me preface my remarks by saying I love my new (8 years now) home in Southern Indiana (near Louisville), and find that every time we talk of moving back to SoCal, the advantages of our life here far overshadow the benefits of returning to SoCal.

I would miss the good Mexican and Chinese food, the San Gabriels, the desert (Lucerne Valley, Apple Valley, Victor Valley, etc) and the beach. Other than that, Southern Indiana is the best for food and scenery. It is a cross between Southern and Midwest. I can ride a horse without the namby-pamby restriction places by California stables.

Say hi to Brown County for me should you pass through. Bartholomew County is okay too. Sigh ... apple butter and fried biscuits.
    Big Ugly Mich
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/09 17:50:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt
    quote:
    Originally posted by johnnyblancoMan sometimes I wish I was back in NY
    So do we natives.
    And you honestly can't figure out why we in Flyover Country think California sucks? I got more good karma wearing my Cubby Blue in U.S. Cellular Field, or even my Packer regalia at Soldier Field, than I ever got in California, no matter how I looked or what I did, so we'll keep our water and let your farms rot like they should have 90 years ago. Remember the water corruption side story in the movie Chinatown? It's based on very real happenings that, among other things, left 700 bodies in the Pacific Ocean when the aquifier gave way.
    BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/09 20:51:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt
    quote:
    Originally posted by johnnyblancoMan sometimes I wish I was back in NY
    So do we natives.
    And you honestly can't figure out why we in Flyover Country think California sucks? I got more good karma wearing my Cubby Blue in U.S. Cellular Field, or even my Packer regalia at Soldier Field, than I ever got in California, no matter how I looked or what I did, so we'll keep our water and let your farms rot like they should have 90 years ago. Remember the water corruption side story in the movie Chinatown? It's based on very real happenings that, among other things, left 700 bodies in the Pacific Ocean when the aquifier gave way.

Oh where do I start. California does NOT steal water from the midwest. They take it from Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon as well as from it's own Owens Valley. If California farms didn't exist the rest of the nation would starve for fresh fruit and vegetables. The Saint Francis Dam disaster was as much a result of faulty geology as it was of corruption. And one last thing you Wisconsin yokle. California is the #1 dairy state in the nation. Better cheese, better milk, better cows.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/09 21:19:47 (permalink)
    I can't even get Drake's Cakes in Chattanooga or Atlanta. I have to order the darn things online.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6324
    RE: Things I miss (Or why California sucks) 2008/04/09 22:20:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

BBq King

http://www.healthydairyindustry.org/dairy.html#cheese

Still not number one in cheese.

So, the California dairy industry "misspoke"?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1