The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Things about food that you detest

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
mar52

• Total Posts: 7596
Things about food that you detest Thu, 05/19/11 10:15 PM (permalink)
Trying to get plastic wrap to cling.

Getting burned by spattering grease.

When my egg whites won't hold a peak.

When I open up bread or cheese and find mold.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
    Re:Things about food that you detest Thu, 05/19/11 10:17 PM (permalink)
    Eating old bread or cheese without having looked at it closely first... Same for milk and coffee creamer.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
      Re:Things about food that you detest Thu, 05/19/11 10:20 PM (permalink)
      Breaking the yolk as it goes into the pan.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3292
        Re:Things about food that you detest Thu, 05/19/11 10:53 PM (permalink)
        Trying to get condensed soup out of the new "easy open" pull-top cans.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
          Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 12:19 AM (permalink)
          mar52

Trying to get plastic wrap to cling.

Mar:
          You are using the wrong plastic wrap.  Get "Glad Press'n Seal".  It works every time with an air-tight seal.  By using two pieces (one piece laid flat on the counter "sticky side" up, placing a cut head of cabbage on it, and then pressing one tightly on top "sticky side" down enclosing the cabbage chunk), I have even kept a cut chunk of cabbage several days in the fridge with no discoloration at all.

By the way, I own no stock in the company.  I just have found it to be a superior product.

felix4067

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 12:25 AM (permalink)
            6star...I've found if there is water involved, it doesn't stick at all. Granted, in general it's way better than any other plastic wrap, but if the edge of the bowl (or whatever) is wet, it doesn't stick worth a darn.

6star

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 12:37 AM (permalink)
              Felix:
              I agree with you on the "pull-top" cans.  And more and more products seem to be coming in them.  Hormel is using them for many of their products (chili, Spam, etc.).  I guess that is their way to get people to exercise more (trying to shake the stuff out of the can).

6star

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 12:41 AM (permalink)
                Felix, you may be right on the Press'n Seal.  I use it regularly on cabbage (since being alone, there is no way I can use a whole head at once).  And I guess I just naturally take a paper towel to the edge of any container to wipe off any moisture or grease before using the wrap to seal it.
                <message edited by 6star on Fri, 05/20/11 12:43 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
                  Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 11:52 AM (permalink)
                  For getting something out of a can I've found that an iced tea spoon works well.  The bowl is smaller so it gets those bits and pieces at the bottom and the longer handle keeps my hand away from the can.

That being said, my can opener is the kind that removes the rim as well as the lid and the can is pretty easy to empty then, although I've never tried it on a can with a pull-off lid.

And nowadays it seems that most cans don't have a removable bottom so they can't be emptied that way.

Brad

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                    Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 1:13 PM (permalink)
                    When something drips and ruins my shirt!

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                      Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 1:20 PM (permalink)
                      The absolute worst to me is wet bread. That can be on a sandwhich with too much mayo or gravy on bread. The sogginess is revolting.

I also don't like the pull top cans because I have arthritis in my hands and on a bad day I can't open those cans at all.

felix4067

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 4:58 PM (permalink)
                        ScreamingChicken

For getting something out of a can I've found that an iced tea spoon works well.  The bowl is smaller so it gets those bits and pieces at the bottom and the longer handle keeps my hand away from the can.

That being said, my can opener is the kind that removes the rim as well as the lid and the can is pretty easy to empty then, although I've never tried it on a can with a pull-off lid.

And nowadays it seems that most cans don't have a removable bottom so they can't be emptied that way.

Brad

I've gotten fairly good with a spoon, but it used to be you could just tap on the side of the can and the soup (or whatever) would slide out almost intact (like canned cranberry sauce). But with the pull-top, it leaves a lip there that it gets caught on. I realize I'm losing maybe a half-teaspoon of soup, but it bugs me. I haven't found a can opener yet that works on them, and the bottoms are all, as you said, rounded so you can't use an opener on them any more.

jajarino68

• Total Posts: 152
                          Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 5:24 PM (permalink)
                          Maybe not so much a food thing as a packaging thing. I hate peanut butter jars that have a decorative bottom to them. I can't get all the PB out of the little grooves. Same goes for mayo or any thick product in a jar like that. I feel cheated out of getting all the product out.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                            Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 5:35 PM (permalink)
                            I'm unhappy about the change to the Mary Kitchen corned beef and roast beef hash cans. You can't open both ends. Now I have to take a bottle/can opener and punch a couple of tiny openings in the bottom end to get the hash to slide out in one cylinder.

mar52

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 5:38 PM (permalink)
                              Calories.

My mother stands for what seems like hours in the super market reading the calories on items she has no intention of buying...calories or not.

Glad cling!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                Try Saran Cling Plus. I don't think you can find anything in a supermarket that will work as well, and it's the closest thing I've ever found to the wrap made for restaurant use. Now, if you have room in your kitchen for one of those huge restaurant-size wrap boxes, you can find them in any restaurant supply place.

chewingthefat

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                  Michael Hoffman

I'm unhappy about the change to the Mary Kitchen corned beef and roast beef hash cans. You can't open both ends. Now I have to take a bottle/can opener and punch a couple of tiny openings in the bottom end to get the hash to slide out in one cylinder.

What an awful story, makes me cringe, I pray this doesn't happen to Dinty Moore Beef Stew!

chewingthefat

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 8:38 PM (permalink)
                                    Eating food that is temperature wise way too hot, a la roof of mouth 2nd degree burns from pizza cheese @ 750 degrees, 3 day PITA! Or 3 day PITM!

mar52

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                      Scraping the roof of my mouth with crusty bread.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                        chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

What an awful story, makes me cringe, I pray this doesn't happen to Dinty Moore Beef Stew!

Well, they've not changed the cans yet. But it wouldn't be a problem because unlike a can of hash, a can of Dinty Moore will just pour right out. I recommend, by the way, that before you start stoocking the big restaurant-size cans you consider how much better it is when you add some small, whoile, boiled onions and some carrots to the stew when heating it. And oh, boy, some of my wonderful confetti dumplings cooked in the stew add something fantastic.  Yum!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:16 PM (permalink)
                                          mar52

Why not just stop scraping the roof of your mouth with crusty bread?

chewingthefat

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                            Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Well, they've not changed the cans yet. But it wouldn't be a problem because unlike a can of hash, a can of Dinty Moore will just pour right out. I recommend, by the way, that before you start stoocking the big restaurant-size cans you consider how much better it is when you add some small, whoile, boiled onions and some carrots to the stew when heating it. And oh, boy, some of my wonderful confetti dumplings cooked in the stew add something fantastic.  Yum!

Yum indeed, even PNWCHEF's mouth is watering, no doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chewingthefat

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                              Michael Hoffman

mar52

Is that anything like carpaccio?

Michael Hoffman

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:30 PM (permalink)
                                                chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Yum indeed, even PNWCHEF's mouth is watering, no doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daring to risk the wrath of Voss I will say that of course PNWCHEF would love it. He is from Connecticut, after all.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:32 PM (permalink)
                                                  chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

mar52

Did you mean the roof of her mouth or the crusty bread?

chewingthefat

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

mar52

Did you mean the roof of her mouth or the crusty bread?

Michael, this statement by you is going to ruin your courtship with Mar,...God help you...And Mar that was just Michael being Michael..."famous last words"

Michael Hoffman

Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 9:55 PM (permalink)
                                                      Courtship? Last I heard Mar lived somewhere on the Left Coast. I live in Ohio. And I don't fly. Besides, I'm too old to court anything other than a recliner.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                                        • Location: South Daytona, FL
                                                        Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 10:06 PM (permalink)
                                                        changing the original Tang recipe.
                                                               "         "        "    Space Food Stcks.
                                                                "         "        "   Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe.
                                                        and too many more things to mention.

carollwdls

• Total Posts: 86
                                                          • Location: Dallas, TX
                                                          Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 10:13 PM (permalink)
                                                          Spewing carbonated beverages out of my nose because something jangles my funny bone whilst drinking one. Which I would have done several times while reading this, had I been drinking a carbonated beverage. Wine doesn't burn the nasal cavities as much...

CiaoMeOW! Carol

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                            Re:Things about food that you detest Fri, 05/20/11 10:47 PM (permalink)
                                                            Michael Hoffman

mar52

How would I get the butter up there?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com