Things drinks come in, what difference does it make?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2010/01/14 11:07:06 (permalink)

Things drinks come in, what difference does it make?

What difference does the shape of a cocktail or wine glass make???????? Does a Martini taste any different if served in a Brandy Snifter, a Screwdriver served in a Mason Jar, a fine wine served in a beer glass, I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong, what's your take?

19 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6346
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 11:58:16 (permalink)
    It is just tradition and part of the ceremony of the drink. I like using the proper glass for the drink. Savoring the preparation of the drink is part of the enjoyment.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 12:24:42 (permalink)
    Davydd

It is just tradition and part of the ceremony of the drink. I like using the proper glass for the drink. Savoring the preparation of the drink is part of the enjoyment.

I disagree.  The shape of the vessel has everything to do with the characteristic of the beverage.  With alcoholic drinks, the way the air interacts with the beverage changes how it tastes, and the vessels have been designed to make use of that.  Brandy snifters are designed wide so that the warmth of your hand warms the brandy.  Red wine glasses are wider than white wine glasses so that there's more surface area to allow the red wine to breathe and for the flavors to open up.  Every drink-specific vessel is shaped a certain way for a reason.  I only partake in beer and wine, but I gather there are folks around here with far more expertise who can tell you more.

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 12:44:25 (permalink)
    Beer tastes better from a frosty mug, tankard or schooner. Maybe it's a volume thing. Hell, I don't know.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 13:59:37 (permalink)
    Pigiron

Davydd

I disagree.  The shape of the vessel has everything to do with the characteristic of the beverage.  With alcoholic drinks, the way the air interacts with the beverage changes how it tastes, and the vessels have been designed to make use of that.  Brandy snifters are designed wide so that the warmth of your hand warms the brandy.  Red wine glasses are wider than white wine glasses so that there's more surface area to allow the red wine to breathe and for the flavors to open up.  Every drink-specific vessel is shaped a certain way for a reason.  I only partake in beer and wine, but I gather there are folks around here with far more expertise who can tell you more.

All you are describing is tradition and ceremony. I could guarantee you if you blind tasted a wine or liquor in different glasses you couldn't tell the difference. Breathability, warmth of hand on the drink, etc. is more in the mind than actuality. If you drink from the proper glass your mind will will the drink as better tasting.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18362
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 14:12:41 (permalink)
    Me? I agree with Pigiron.

And then there's the difference between coffee in a poly foam cup and a cardboard/paper cup. I want mine in the latter.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/01/14 14:18:06
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 14:33:00 (permalink)
    Stemmed glasses as a way to keep  a cocktail  cool  that has been shaken/stirred (chilled with ice) strained and goes in the glass without ice.

V shaped glasses keep the ingredients from seperating. 

Even when you get down to tradition it is also a way of not saying "who gives a rats behind...I will have a Goober Grape "Martini" in a Flintstone jelly jar"

post edited by CCinNJ - 2010/01/14 14:38:23
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 14:39:18 (permalink)
    I like my Sambuca in a brandy snifter, or a Welch's Flintstones jelly glass

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 14:54:53 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Stemmed glasses as a way to keep  a cocktail  cool  that has been shaken/stirred (chilled with ice) strained and goes in the glass without ice.

Even when you get down to tradition it is also a way of not saying "who gives a rats behind...I will have a Goober Grape "Martini" in a Flintstone jelly jar"

That reminds me of something that happened in Charlotte Amalie when we lived there. One night at a very, very nice restaurant called Haborview a customer who was a well-known bitch, and thus shall go nameless here, complained loudly about the glass into which her wine had been poured. Felicia (OK, so I named her) demanded to speak with one of the two owners and sheloudly asserted that she'd rather drink her wine from a peanut butter jar. (Clete, her husband, was cringing all through this.)

The co-owner went back to the kitchen and appropriated a jar of Skippy that belonged to one of the line cooks, emptied it out and washed it. Then she brought it out to the table, poured wine for Felicia and took away her wine glass. The now furious woman jumped up and took off, leaving her husband at the table, where he happily finished his meal, had a few more drinks and got a ride home with the couple at the next table -- that was us..

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 14:55:38 (permalink)
    joerogo

I like my Sambuca in a brandy snifter, or a Welch's Flintstones jelly glass

I like mine in a cup of black coffee.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 15:03:34 (permalink)
    Davydd 

All you are describing is tradition and ceremony.

Really?  I though I was describing how the physical shape of the glass changes the actual drinking experience. 

I could guarantee you if you blind tasted a wine or liquor in different glasses you couldn't tell the difference.

How could you guarantee that?  I would tend to agree with you however, as I'm not a serious drinker.  But I could guarantee you that connoisseurs of fine wines, beers or spirits would most certainly be able to tell the difference.  That's why these different vessels exist. 

Breathability, warmth of hand on the drink, etc. is more in the mind than actuality. If you drink from the proper glass your mind will will the drink as better tasting.

Well, even if that were true (and I don't agree that it is), isn't that the point?  For it to taste better? 

Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 17:26:06 (permalink)
    Pigiron,

"Guarantee" is just an expression. I can tell you if my brandy is at room temperature my fingers are not going to warm it up before I drink it.

Maybe a snob or a connoisseur will think the glass will make the difference but I still say it is a mind game of expectations and I am not saying that the proper glass doesn't make that difference as it does to me. I do prefer drinking out of the proper traditional glass but a Martini is still going to taste the same no matter what the shape of the glass.

Wine glasses are just more tradition. Since reds are generally served room temperature and whites are generally served chilled the reds can be more forgiving in surface area than whites but a red could still be served in a narrow vessel. The only thing that bugs me with wine glasses are people who hold them by the vessel and not the stem, but then it really only bothers me when clinking for a toast and not getting the ring because they didn't hold by the stem.

Michael Hoffman,

Talking glass to glass here, not polyfoam to paper or even to ceramic for coffee. I can agree changing the material will change the taste. But my Guinness Stout will taste the same whether it is in a small sampling glass or a pint glass, but my experience will be at its height in a proper pint glass, and I can't imagine ever enjoying a Guinness and drinking it out of a can.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 17:43:14 (permalink)
    Use tha right kind of glass if you have one. Otherwise....... :~)

Question, what kind of glass should be used for Sangria wine? And oh, I like mine on tha rocks w/ a squeez of lime.
    Joe
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/01/14 18:19:17
    HPlatz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 18:11:04 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

CCinNJ

That reminds me of something that happened in Charlotte Amalie when we lived there. One night at a very, very nice restaurant called Haborview a customer who was a well-known bitch, and thus shall go nameless here, complained loudly about the glass into which her wine had been poured. Felicia (OK, so I named her) demanded to speak with one of the two owners and sheloudly asserted that she'd rather drink her wine from a peanut butter jar. (Clete, her husband, was cringing all through this.)

The co-owner went back to the kitchen and appropriated a jar of Skippy that belonged to one of the line cooks, emptied it out and washed it. Then she brought it out to the table, poured wine for Felicia and took away her wine glass. The now furious woman jumped up and took off, leaving her husband at the table, where he happily finished his meal, had a few more drinks and got a ride home with the couple at the next table -- that was us..

Outstanding story.  Bravo!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 18:11:15 (permalink)
    Hi Davydd! Hope you are feeling great!

I don't think it has anything to do with being a snob. Maybe because it is not something that you feel is important or noticable.

If I made a Boo Berry BPT and posted a fuzzy picture of it...I would expect to hear from you in short order. I will not do that because I want you to continue feeling great.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 20:15:05 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

Use tha right kind of glass if you have one. Otherwise....... :~)

Question, what kind of glass should be used for Sangria wine? And oh, I like mine on tha rocks w/ a squeez of lime.
    Joe

I don't know about Sangria but some wines are best straight from the bottle. . .like Thunderbird.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 20:33:50 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

I don't think it has anything to do with being a snob. Maybe because it is not something that you feel is important or noticable.

If I made a Boo Berry BPT and posted a fuzzy picture of it...I would expect to hear from you in short order. I will not do that because I want you to continue feeling great.

I'm in a quandary about those BPTs. I just got a notice I have to renew my domain name porktenderloinsandwich.com next month. 

I think maybe I've been misunderstood here. I do drink wines and liquors from the proper glasses. I'm just saying it is more in the mind of enjoyment than any altering of the actual taste. Any perceived altering of taste is much more in the mind than physical. I drink Rieslings at home only in antique German glassware that is over 150 years old that has been passed down in my wife's family. I find greater enjoyment of red wines in expensive wine glasses we keep for special occasions that are nearly the same size and shape of inexpensive Target Store glasses we keep on the shelf for every day use. I drink my Manhattans only in the proper cut glass. I have a variety of shot glasses for my Bourbon neat depending on my mood from very sentimental to topical to the event.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/14 20:46:28 (permalink)
    Davydd

Michael Hoffman,

Talking glass to glass here, not polyfoam to paper or even to ceramic for coffee. I can agree changing the material will change the taste. But my Guinness Stout will taste the same whether it is in a small sampling glass or a pint glass, but my experience will be at its height in a proper pint glass, and I can't imagine ever enjoying a Guinness and drinking it out of a can.

It is my considered opinion that there is nothing that could possibly help Guiness Stout worth tasting.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/15 09:53:56 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Davydd

Michael Hoffman,

It is my considered opinion that there is nothing that could possibly help Guiness Stout worth tasting.

Ah, but that's your loss in my humble opinion.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Things drinks come in, what difference does it make? 2010/01/15 10:55:46 (permalink)
    Davydd

CCinNJ

I'm in a quandary about those BPTs. I just got a notice I have to renew my domain name porktenderloinsandwich.com next month. 

I think maybe I've been misunderstood here. I do drink wines and liquors from the proper glasses. I'm just saying it is more in the mind of enjoyment than any altering of the actual taste. Any perceived altering of taste is much more in the mind than physical. I drink Rieslings at home only in antique German glassware that is over 150 years old that has been passed down in my wife's family. I find greater enjoyment of red wines in expensive wine glasses we keep for special occasions that are nearly the same size and shape of inexpensive Target Store glasses we keep on the shelf for every day use. I drink my Manhattans only in the proper cut glass. I have a variety of shot glasses for my Bourbon neat depending on my mood from very sentimental to topical to the event.

Your wife loves them too? Maybe a bite for the photographer if that will not cause you to be in trouble?

I have a question for you. The concept of the "Martini" as far as ingredients has gone in the direction that makes the perfect arguement for having a few classics to make one forget! 

The vessel has not been thrown out of the window or been revolutionized in the process. Why?
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2010/01/15 10:57:59
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1