Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006

Author
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
2006/07/08 09:43:36 (permalink)

Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006

Hello, ya'll -

BillC and I will be traveling to the Delta area in September. We plan to be in Memphis 09/10 - 09/12. Then we were planning to move on to Clarksdale, Mississippi to hear some blues at Ground Zero and eat at Abe's, Hick's Superette (for tamales!), and Shamoun's. We're looking for interesting things to do in the Mississippi/Louisiana/Arkansas area after 09/13. We went to the Delta blues and Heritage festival a couple of years ago, and that's a possibility, but we're looking for suggestions for something different. Besides food, we're interested in Black Gospel, Blues, and/or Cajun music. We're free to travel pretty much anywhere in those states or Alabama. Any suggestions?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Sandy

9 Replies Related Threads

BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/08 12:02:22 (permalink)
    Y'all are either too early or too late for the good stuff lol

Here's a link though that might help find ya some cool stuff to listen to. By State or venue http://www.blues-fest.com/

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/08 14:47:33 (permalink)
    Click on "Forums" above, then "Search" for "Louisiana" designating "Subject only". There are many threads, but one on "Cajun Country, Louisiana" probably has the most on the MS/LA/AK area.

Get to the Mammou and Eunice area for Cajun music (my personal favorite group is "Steve Riley and the Mammou Playboys"). Try the Saturday night NPR broadcast, in French, at the Liberty Theater in Eunice for a unique experience. Sitting in the audience waiting for the show to start and listening to the conversations (in Frence) around me showed me just how much the Acadian culture has influenced this part of Louisiana. The Saturday morning show at "Fred's" in Mammou is another 1 of a kind experience.

Go to "Richard's" in Lawtell or "Slim's Y-KI-KI" in Opelousus for Zydeco.

And by all means pick up a copy of "Cajun Country Guide" to serve as your guide to this area. One of the best guide books I have ever used.
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/09 08:49:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

Y'all are either too early or too late for the good stuff lol

Here's a link though that might help find ya some cool stuff to listen to. By State or venue http://www.blues-fest.com/

BhamBabe -

Thanks for the outstanding Blues link! I'd never seen this one before and we will definitely use it for future planning.

Yeah, you're right. Anything that doesn't take place in summer happens Labor Day weekend or in October. We'll have to rethink when we take our vacation. Maybe next year...
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/09 09:04:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

Click on "Forums" above, then "Search" for "Louisiana" designating "Subject only". There are many threads, but one on "Cajun Country, Louisiana" probably has the most on the MS/LA/AK area.

Get to the Mammou and Eunice area for Cajun music (my personal favorite group is "Steve Riley and the Mammou Playboys"). Try the Saturday night NPR broadcast, in French, at the Liberty Theater in Eunice for a unique experience. Sitting in the audience waiting for the show to start and listening to the conversations (in Frence) around me showed me just how much the Acadian culture has influenced this part of Louisiana. The Saturday morning show at "Fred's" in Mammou is another 1 of a kind experience.

Go to "Richard's" in Lawtell or "Slim's Y-KI-KI" in Opelousus for Zydeco.

And by all means pick up a copy of "Cajun Country Guide" to serve as your guide to this area. One of the best guide books I have ever used.

Hillbilly - Thanks for the suggestions. Mammou is a possibility since we really want to include Louisiana in our vacation plans. The Festivals Acadiens would have been the weekend that we will be in the area but they moved it (wisely, I think) to October. We attended the Festivals a couple of years ago and had a great time but it was hotter than Hades. I guess they're hoping more people will attend if it's cooler. I still have the Cajun Country Guide from that trip and will definitely pick up the current one when we get to the area. Thanks again for a great suggestion.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/09 09:09:50 (permalink)
    It's not blues, but if it were me, I would be stopping at the Vicksburg National Military Park and Natchez.

http://www.nps.gov/vick/home.htm
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/09 15:41:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Extreme Glow

It's not blues, but if it were me, I would be stopping at the Vicksburg National Military Park and Natchez.

http://www.nps.gov/vick/home.htm

This was a good suggestion for us since we like to visit historical sites. We have visited the Vicksburg National Military Park on previous trips and enjoyed doing the tour. I have to say that Gettysburg is still our favorite. We'll probably stop in Natchez this time on our way to Louisiana.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/09 16:39:24 (permalink)
    Sandy, when it gets closer to the dates you'll be near New Orleans private message me and we'll try to get together for lunch or something. We are moving down there in August.
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/09 19:20:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

Sandy, when it gets closer to the dates you'll be near New Orleans private message me and we'll try to get together for lunch or something. We are moving down there in August.

BhamBabe-

Will do. Mamou may be the closest we get to NOLA. I'm still working out our itinerary. I'll be in touch.
    mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: Things to do in the MS/LA/Ak area in mid 09/2006 2006/07/10 14:15:48 (permalink)
    Cottonlandia Museum in Greenwood is good. They have a fantastic display of early Indian pottery, among other things.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1