Thinking of using a new self service POS system

Author
paulregan86
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/08/21 21:18:11 (permalink)

Thinking of using a new self service POS system

Hi, I work at a pizza restaurant and in the staff meeting an idea was brought up to move towards the concept of a self-service ordering system in restaurants (via something like an iPad), where you place your own order, at the table.

I would like to hear what you think on the matter, especially:

• What you look for in a restaurant experience, and whether this concept would fit
  • Would you be willing to try such a system
  • Your perceived pros and cons of such a system
  • What features you would like to see in the interactive, self service menus
  • What restaurant environment, if any, do you think it would be best suited to
  • Any further comments you care to add

Thanks for your time, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will try to answer as quickly as I can.

11 Replies Related Threads

cracker75
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2011/08/22 01:54:49 (permalink)
    It's something I intend as well. I've gotten both positive and negative views on it, I think some will choose not to use it, others will like not having to wait. 

If I get my program together, and open what I'm imagining, I'll let you know how it goes...lol. 

I have some pretty clear ideas of what I want from a customer-compatible-POS system, and after contacting a few companies, the overwhelming responses were "wow! what a great idea!"....So If I can find the money I probably be paying someone to build an app for me.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2011/08/22 10:13:32 (permalink)
    > Any restaurant with a drive-thru pick-up window would probably be interested.
    > Obviously, the less menu options available, the easier this would be to initiate.
    > This would probably be welcomed by shops serving breakfast. (Perhaps, to start off, have it only available at breakfast, or just breakfast and lunch.) 
    > It is very possible you would need to offer lower prices at first, since there would be the perceived idea the customer is getting less service.
    > There could very easily be problems with tipping the server, for the above "less service" reason.
    > The fancier the resturant, the less likely it would work.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2011/08/22 11:12:13 (permalink)
    I think it's a very interesting concept, and may well be the wave of the future.

However it's success may depend on the average age of your customers. Young customers would never think a thing about something new like this.

Older customers may not feel comfortable with the concept, because  there is less service/customer contact.

I'm amazed daily by the number of people that I hand a menu too that throw it in the passenger seat and ask "What do you have?"

And you need pictures.... fast food restaurants have ruined a large percentage of our population and they only half read menus and look for pictures.

What would you do when a customer orders something and is served their food and then claims that's not what they ordered? Would you have a way to show them (some proof) that it was indeed what they ordered? With a server the server gets a confirmation by repeating the order back to them before turning it in to the BOH.

If your the 1st and you do the app well I think you'd make more money on the app that you'd ever make in the restaurant business. I have a friend that has done something very similar before and he is working on a system that would work like this.

good luck
    Jack

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1293
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2011/08/25 22:57:00 (permalink)
    OK, here are a few things I see:
    1) They had better be cheap; customers can be hell on touch devices (they will be covered with pen marks very quickly).

2) Will they be able to answer questions? Some, such as allergy questions, can be vitally important to a customer.

I can see it as an "express option", but I don't see it replacing live waitstaff.

Bart
    Norman E. @MenuDrive
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2011/09/07 17:39:30 (permalink)
    • What you look for in a restaurant experience, and whether this concept would fit.
      • Consumers want a new experience when they go out and do anything from eating to shopping at the mall. If you give them something new and exciting you have to market it just as much to get the clients to understand the product your introducing to them. In this case a new mobile or online ordering system that allows customers to order pizza when they are walking three blocks from the restaurant or sitting at home and decide they want your product!
    • Would you be willing to try such a system
      • Would I try a new online ordering system, Absolutely! I have seen favorable revenues from those restaurants that barely increase their clientele and their restaurants sales increase dramatically. Still being able to pay off their monthly subscription to online ordering companies and with more income at their disposal.
    • Your perceived pros and cons of such a system
      • Too many positive attributes that link online ordering with social networking (ultimately leading to brand recognition and loyalty). The only Con I can think of, would be setting up on online/mobile ordering system and not telling any of your fan base about it. (the idea is you want to be just as excited about the new feature you offer to convey that passion to your customers/guests/fans).
    • What features you would like to see in the interactive, self service menus
      • Some features that should be included would be website links that help connect and market your pizza shop to web browsers in the surrounding areas. Another feature should send promotions to the customers via email, who used the online ordering system and haven't used it in a while to try and get them back on the convenient path. Some sort of tangible object (like a card) that will help promote the new feature of your restaurant. Last but not least, a trendy and favorable brand logo and color scheme for the online ordering menu system!
    • What restaurant environment, if any, do you think it would be best suited to
      • I don't think an online ordering system is better in one environment that another. In the city if you feel like ordering pizza and you want it by the time you leave and get to the restaurant, a mobile ordering system will be useful. If you live in the middle of a rural area and nothing is close, using a online menu to look at and order from will be convenient and by the time you reach the restaurant you will have your food ready.
    • Any further comments you care to add
      • All around this service is truly innovative and I haven't heard of it till late. Now that I hear more and more about this mobile ordering system, I personally feel if restaurants do not adopt to this new method of ordering they will fade like blockbuster did when Netflix understood the importance of convenience.
    post edited by Norman E. @MenuDrive - 2011/09/07 18:29:05
    stevetamer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2012/05/16 21:47:21 (permalink)
    A excellent restaurant Point Of Sale software for your business can allow you to concentrate all of the significant information related to your restaurant in one whole integrated system. This can lead to an increase in effectiveness and diminish waste related to provisions and manpower.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2012/05/17 04:34:24 (permalink)
    There would need to be a two step phase in.
    CoCo's Restaurants have hand helds for their waitstaff. You give your order, they punch it in. Customers are curious and ask what it is. They show them how it works. Won't be long before they just hand it to customers and the customer places the order.
    P.S. Our 60+ year old waitress had mastered the process.
    So can you! 
    Here's what I think they're using:
    http://www.triniteq.com/handheldpos_waiterpad.asp
    stevetamer
    Junior Burger
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2012/05/20 16:24:51 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Thanks for the info, if your 60+year old waitress do it, anyone can do it too,LoL
    There would need to be a two step phase in.
    CoCo's Restaurants have hand helds for their waitstaff. You give your order, they punch it in. Customers are curious and ask what it is. They show them how it works. Won't be long before they just hand it to customers and the customer places the order.
    P.S. Our 60+ year old waitress had mastered the process.
    So can you! 
    Here's what I think they're using:

Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2012/05/21 21:57:10 (permalink)
    My concern would be, that it would have to be something that only works inside your establishment. Otherwise, you'd have dozens of kids sit outside the restaurant, download the app on their phones and order up hundreds of $ in food, then drive off to the next place.
    That being said, I agree with the person who said that an iPad is probably best, because people "eat with their eye's" and want pictures. Cost prohibitive though, if you have a 30+ person place. Plus the maint on them, wiping/sanitizing/charging them after each use, needing 3,4,5+ per table.

I could see a "tablet" type that stays at the table, that goes into a docking station after use. Again, they would have to be pretty sturdy, drinks spilled on them, kids drop them, get used as a coaster.
    Maybe a touchscreen monitor at the table? I think its a great idea, it will take some time though to integrate it into our culture.
    jimmysmoot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2012/05/24 16:14:42 (permalink)
    I feel like it is asking the customer to adopt too many new concepts at once. You'll PROBABLY never fit the whole menu on a single screen so you will have to get them to navigate through the menu which will slow down and confuse people.
    stevetamer
    Junior Burger
    Re:Thinking of using a new self service POS system 2012/05/29 16:51:13 (permalink)
    I have seen a new solution which is called Eat Online which seems to be even faster and eaiser than others, have you seen it?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1