The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

This Ain't Really Chili

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
This Ain't Really Chili Tue, 05/27/03 8:55 PM (permalink)
But it's good. What follows is a recipe I have had for a long time. I got it from one one of those recipe books that are published locally for special events (i.e. author unknown). I have tried it once (I cut the ingredients in half, BTW). It wasn't really that exceptional when freshly cooked. However, if you let the cooked product "marinate" for a few days in the "fridge", yum-yum. As the recipe says, this freezes well, also. Where is that bottle of habenero salsa I just had...?

"It Ain't Chili And It Ain't Beans"

8 (16oz.) cans pork & beans
4 (16 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans
2 large yellow onions
1 stalk celery
2 large bell peppers
4 oz. jalapeno relish
1 1/2 oz. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 oz. black pepper
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 oz. liquid smoke flavoring
2 lb. ground sirloin
2 lb. Hillshire Farms beef sausage
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese
2 pkg. McCormick chili mix

Open the cans of beans and pour contents into a three-gallon pot. Place pot on stove over low heat. Add chili mix, liquid smoke flavoring, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and jalapeno relish. Stir contents thoroughly. Coarse chop/cut all cheeses and add to pot. Coarse chop/cut onions, celery, and bell pepper; set aside.

Precook sausage for 4 minutes on HIGH setting in microwave (optional). Cut sausage into small bite-sized pieces, and then fry in skillet until done. Drain all grease and add sausage to pot. Fry ground sirloin; drain all grease and add to pot. Add onions, celery, and bell peppers to pot; stir thoroughly. Cover pot. Increase heat slightly to bring contents almost to a boil, then cook for 15-20 minutes while stirring contents often.

This recipe freezes well. Any leftovers can be placed in plastic containers and frozen for eating later.

Note: Beans tend to get hotter over a period of time.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: This Ain't Really Chili Tue, 11/2/04 4:52 PM (permalink)
    This looks like a pretty hearty bit of vittles. I may just have to try it. When I used to go camping years ago with a group of friends, we'd all make our own batch of chili, then pour it all in to one big pot, kind of like a big harvey wallbanger of chili,and eat. I always looked forward to that.
    I'm curious though, why is the recipe so hefty? Is this meant for a large group of people?

carl reitz

TheHotPepper.com

• Total Posts: 322
      RE: This Ain't Really Chili Sun, 12/12/04 10:59 PM (permalink)
      Looks more like a southwestern stew.. looks good though, personally I'd leave out the celerey.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com