This Ain't Really Chili

Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
2003/05/27 20:55:29 (permalink)

This Ain't Really Chili

But it's good. What follows is a recipe I have had for a long time. I got it from one one of those recipe books that are published locally for special events (i.e. author unknown). I have tried it once (I cut the ingredients in half, BTW). It wasn't really that exceptional when freshly cooked. However, if you let the cooked product "marinate" for a few days in the "fridge", yum-yum. As the recipe says, this freezes well, also. Where is that bottle of habenero salsa I just had...?

"It Ain't Chili And It Ain't Beans"

8 (16oz.) cans pork & beans
4 (16 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans
2 large yellow onions
1 stalk celery
2 large bell peppers
4 oz. jalapeno relish
1 1/2 oz. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 oz. black pepper
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 oz. liquid smoke flavoring
2 lb. ground sirloin
2 lb. Hillshire Farms beef sausage
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese
2 pkg. McCormick chili mix

Open the cans of beans and pour contents into a three-gallon pot. Place pot on stove over low heat. Add chili mix, liquid smoke flavoring, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and jalapeno relish. Stir contents thoroughly. Coarse chop/cut all cheeses and add to pot. Coarse chop/cut onions, celery, and bell pepper; set aside.

Precook sausage for 4 minutes on HIGH setting in microwave (optional). Cut sausage into small bite-sized pieces, and then fry in skillet until done. Drain all grease and add sausage to pot. Fry ground sirloin; drain all grease and add to pot. Add onions, celery, and bell peppers to pot; stir thoroughly. Cover pot. Increase heat slightly to bring contents almost to a boil, then cook for 15-20 minutes while stirring contents often.

This recipe freezes well. Any leftovers can be placed in plastic containers and frozen for eating later.

Note: Beans tend to get hotter over a period of time.

2 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: This Ain't Really Chili 2004/11/02 16:52:10 (permalink)
    This looks like a pretty hearty bit of vittles. I may just have to try it. When I used to go camping years ago with a group of friends, we'd all make our own batch of chili, then pour it all in to one big pot, kind of like a big harvey wallbanger of chili,and eat. I always looked forward to that.
    I'm curious though, why is the recipe so hefty? Is this meant for a large group of people?

carl reitz
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: This Ain't Really Chili 2004/12/12 22:59:12 (permalink)
    Looks more like a southwestern stew.. looks good though, personally I'd leave out the celerey.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1