This ain't no picnic

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
2003/08/19 08:09:47 (permalink)

This ain't no picnic

I agree with the person who suggested that we have a forum called "subjects totally unrelated to Roadfood". Maybe this is too off subject, but I can't cook until I take care of this, so I guess it's food-related. If you're squeamish, stop reading now.

My new house has an ANT problem of biblical proportions! I've had the exterminators here twice, inside and out. I have spread diatomaceous earth under the house. I wash the counters with vinegar and spray them with Dr. Bronner's soap. I've caulked so much I'm surprised we're not suffocating. I'm going insane. A guy recommended the Chinese ant chalk and I could only laugh in his face. It is so beyond ant chalk...it is like a Japanese horror movie here. Any suggestions? Will this happen every summer?

40 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 08:13:29 (permalink)
    A article was in the Knoxville News Sentinel today regarding ant problems. One indicated that if you use aspartame? (fake sugar) it would driving them nuts and another indicated vinegar.

I had a major problems with carpenter ants and it cost me a heap of money getting rid of them plus the damage they did to my house. I had to replace windows. I called Orkin. They charged me $400 and they reduced the problem, but the bas----- are still around.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 09:45:07 (permalink)
    Just spent $1200 to get rid of termites. The termites are still here, but the ants seem to have disappeared. We had little tiny things you could hardly see until they moved, and we had great big Carpenter? ants that seemed to like our cat's dry food ( wonder how much sawdust is used as filler in that dry stuff?).
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 10:56:25 (permalink)
    Elise, my mother has one of those Chinese chalks. I was laughing at her about it, and then she demonstrated it, and unbelievably it seemed to work!

What kind of ants are they? Hopefully not fire ants!

My father always had success, no matter what the type of ant, bu using the homemade boric acid stations. Here is a link to tell you just what to do.

It always worked for us.
    http://fireant.tamu.edu/materials/factsheets/FAPFS024_2002rev.pdf
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 11:00:57 (permalink)
    Lonestar: What is a Chinese Chalk??

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 11:05:01 (permalink)
    Last summer we had an ant plague of major proportions. We were reluctant to use ant poison spray because of our cats, so I consulted a local health food co-op. They suggested a book called CLEAN HOUSE, CLEAN PLANET, which turned out to have some great solutions. Basically, we did three things: 1)plugged up all cracks we could find with plain ol' petroleum jelly (AKA Vaseline, except I used store brand -- about 99 cents for a huge jar); 2) sprayed any visible ants with a solution of dish detergent in water (couple tablespoons of the soap in a spray bottle, fill with water (it kills them instantly); and 3)put down peppermint oil (find in a health food store, in the "essential oils" section, $3-4) to repel them. IT SO WORKED!! We were amazed. It cut the ants down from hoards to an occasional stray, which I just zapped with the dish soap spray. It was very inexpensive. And I didn't feel like I was poisoning my household environment. Dunno what kind of ants you have (these were tiny black ones), but give it a try.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 12:13:08 (permalink)
    Sundancer, I am not really sure what is in it, but they look just like a regular piece of chalk, and you draw a line, or a circle, and the ants will not cross it.

Here is a story about it

http://www.getipm.com/articles/chinesechalk.htm
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1188
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 12:37:11 (permalink)
    Elise, my wife, Vickie, swears by Borax. She sprinkles some in the corners where the ants seem to be entering, and in the windowsills on the first floor. And down the floor drains, should you have any, if that's a problem too.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 13:41:47 (permalink)
    1. Buy an aardvark.
    2. Sell the house and move.
    3. Although politically incorrect, (and illegal in some areas) get some chlordane and spray it around the house foundation. This will get all ants and termites, although our imperial federal government has declared it toxic. But it works.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 13:45:45 (permalink)
    Elise, my house in Valencia seemed to be on a giant anthill. We wound up subscribing to one of the pest companies who had a program guaranteeing 2 visits a month and extra trips if you needed them. In the summer, we had them once a week and it was barely enough. It's a good way to do it------at least they have the Right Stuff!
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 14:13:19 (permalink)
    I'd be fly with the borax treatment myself - a lot of the commercial baits are borax + sugar (or at least they used to be - the new vogue in baiting is insect growth regulators, which might not be so bad).

Elise, it could be worse; it could be cockroaches....

Eric
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 14:58:16 (permalink)
    Vibration guy, that has been my constant chant. If it were roaches, I WOULD move.

They are plain old little black ants.

I think the ant chalk is mostly boric acid. That works on a small scale, but these SOBs live in the walls and counters. I caulked every possible crevice in the kitchen and now they stream out of the crack between the counter and dishwasher.

Maybe I will make up a witches brew of Borax, aspartame and peppermint, then subscribe to that bimonthly service. I am ready to get medieval on them. I poured boiling water on a hill I found outside and I felt so evil and barbaric, yet so strangely satisfied.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 16:40:28 (permalink)
    Oh, when I lived in Georgia, my yard had fire ants, and there was *nothing* so satisfying as that little scoop of Andro and a kettle of boiling water.

There's a product called Delta Dust that people swear by; I've never used it. Gentrol is an example of the regulators that make the little bastards incapable of reaching sexual maturity. Doesn't that sound deliciously cruel?

Eric
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 16:47:42 (permalink)
    Oh my God, they're having sex in my cupboards? I may never eat again!
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 17:35:15 (permalink)
    you want to get rid of insects?....easy enough, down here in florida,we merely get a couple of omelets from waffle house,a dozen krispy kremes and throw em' on the floor, next day all you have to do is vacuum all the dead bugs off the food and feed what remains(a definite improvement over what you started with) to your worst enemy......end of several problems
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 17:48:24 (permalink)
    Is this a new, new house i.e., just built, or is it a new, used house?

If it is a new, new house contact the builder and let the builder know about the problem, talk to your neighbors first and see if they have the same problem. Oft times when new houses go up in a development the eco system (I know, a little touchy feely comment) is disrupted, and the the little critters have to go somewhere. In your case somewhere seems to be your house. My problem has been with coyotes, as there is a new development going in several miles away from my property and the developer took out chuncks of wetland and scrubwoods, etc. I can shoot or trap or bait the varmints, shooting ants though would be a bit of an overkill, although it does work.

If it is a new, used house, talk to the neighbors and see if they have the same problem, or if they know of the previous owners knew of the problem. If the previous owners knew of the problem and didn't tell you, or the realtor knew of the problem. Then you may have a possible cause of action for failure to be notified of a pre-exisitng condition.

In any case you might want to contact an attorney who is familiar with real estate law.

This is not meant to be, nor is it legal advice.

Another possible solution is to catch as many of the untreated little buggers as you can and roast them until crisp. Roasted ants are quite edible and a have sort of a sweet, crunchy taste.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 18:29:18 (permalink)
    First off, I knew without even looking that this thread was started by Roadfood's other resident '80s punk kid. We remember you, D. Boon.

Anyway, I'm having similar problems in our kitchen. We live in an old house (circa 1916) that's in the center of a row of six attached homes, all of which are in the center of Boston University's student ghetto. Ergo: roach central. Doesn't matter what we do, I don't think we can get rid of them. Renovating the kitchen over the spring tore out some favored hiding spaces, but it's done little to eradicate them. I've frankly started to learn to live with them.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 22:18:18 (permalink)
    ( LB: Aaaah, somebody got my vague reference, smile. You know Watt is touring with the Stooges right now.)

CCJPO: It's a "used" house. I wondered about the legalities of disclosure, but my RE agent did not feel this falls under those laws. I'm not very litigious anyways. I just want them to go! I'm going to spend the week doing a serious Lucrezia Borgia on their butts, then I'm going to see if the exterminators have any extra tricks for hard cases.
    TIPPY LEE
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 22:55:34 (permalink)
    Hello everybody! This is my first post,but definately not my last. I have been reading these posts on Roadfood for months now, and feel I know everyone so well. The Mayor, Sundancer, Bushie, Meowzart, ElsieT,Ort. Carlton,and everyone else. You guys sound like one big family! Im from the Mayor's neck of the woods in Eastern Ky. I hope I can add some of my experiences with y'all. It was ElsieT.'s post that gave me the courage to write in. Rock on Minutemen!! Tippy Lee in Ky.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/19 23:04:55 (permalink)
    I am hesitant about posting this but our first house was an old Victorian one that no one except black ants had lived in for 20 years before we bought it. Exterminators kept them under control while we were renovating it but finally an elderly neighbor advised us on what to do. We purchased those PETA-disapproved sticky mousetrap squares and sprinkled them with sugar and set them out all over the house. Hundreds of ants would make a beeline for them and get stuck. We would throw the ant-covered traps out and replace with another group of them. After about 2 or 3 weeks and untold gooey mousetraps, they gave up and departed. Ants are smart. If they know you mean business, they'll go over to your neighbor's house where the livin' is easier.

P.S. No, we did not catch any mice in them.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 00:14:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TIPPY LEE

Hello everybody! This is my first post,but definately not my last. I have been reading these posts on Roadfood for months now, and feel I know everyone so well. The Mayor, Sundancer, Bushie, Meowzart, ElsieT,Ort. Carlton,and everyone else. You guys sound like one big family! Im from the Mayor's neck of the woods in Eastern Ky. I hope I can add some of my experiences with y'all. It was ElsieT.'s post that gave me the courage to write in. Rock on Minutemen!! Tippy Lee in Ky.

I think Elise gives us all courage!

You keep on posting Tippy Lee. Welcome to the "family".

Like all families, we have our spats, but we all get along pretty well.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 04:09:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TIPPY LEE

Welcome! We aren't so scary, are we? BTW, I used to think the Minutemen song "Jesus and Tequila" was actually "Cheetos and Tequila". If you ever saw D Boone, you'd know why I thought that.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15302
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 04:35:01 (permalink)
    What a place to jump onto the bandwagon!!! Sheesch Tippy, Ya coulda made an entry describing the Catfish and BBQ places in Eastern KY..instead of here amongst the dead aunts. (sic)

Anyway , Welcome aboard.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 04:44:30 (permalink)
    I had the grill going down on the dock the other day. It was a Webber charcoal grill and I had it pretty close to a Locust tree. It had been going for about five minutes and I was using the type of charcoal that lites with some type of petroleum base. It flamed real good and the heat caused the exodus of about a million huge black ants from the tree. They left in such a hurry that they were falling like crazy into the lake. I always have a bunch of bluegill hanging out around the dock for the shade and safety. It was buffet city for the bluegill. I love to watch them do top water strikes. They must have called their buddies cause in about a minute, every bluegill for docks around showed up.

If only the bluegill were effective out of the water.. I later cut the locust down due to its proximity to the dock. It was hollowed out in the center and was the home of these huge ants.

I sort of wish I had not cut the trees as the bast---- probably moved to my house.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 09:03:40 (permalink)
    Paul, it's probably good you cut the tree down. One of my neighbors had a huge oak fall on his house last year and discovered the core hollowed out by what the arborist called carpenter ants. Bad thing was it took the power and cable with it for about 8 hours. And all this talk of dead ants but no dead uncles? (Al's inference, see above.)
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 12:16:45 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, I used Windex on ants long before the guy in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" claimed it works on everything! It definitely kills ants in the kitchen area, & it's usually handy, so you don't have to go running to the garage or basement for chemicals, etc. We get the big black ones every spring under our brick front steps. This year my husband had to resort to a product by Ortho called Ant B Gone Dust. He applied lines of it in the cracks of the front stoop/step area & that did the trick! I don't like chemicals, but sometimes you have to succumb so the ants will...
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 21:16:29 (permalink)
    Not to beat old horse or a saw or an Adam for that matter. It really isn't a matter of whether or not one wants to litigate, it is a matter of what is right and fair. I don't know how much you have spent for exterminators and self cures, but my guess is is more then it would cost for a consult with an experienced real estate attorney. If your RE wasn't representing upu, i.e a buyer's agent, but representing the seller, then of course they wouldn't want you to do anything. Talk to your new neighbors and find out if they were aware of they problem, or if they knew if the previous owners were aware of the problem. A pre-existing condition is a pre- exisiting condition no matter how one looks at it. Especially if if they are crawling across your ceiling
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 23:49:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CCJPO

Not to beat old horse or a saw or an Adam for that matter. It really isn't a matter of whether or not one wants to litigate, it is a matter of what is right and fair. I don't know how much you have spent for exterminators and self cures, but my guess is is more then it would cost for a consult with an experienced real estate attorney. If your RE wasn't representing upu, i.e a buyer's agent, but representing the seller, then of course they wouldn't want you to do anything. Talk to your new neighbors and find out if they were aware of they problem, or if they knew if the previous owners were aware of the problem. A pre-existing condition is a pre- exisiting condition no matter how one looks at it. Especially if if they are crawling across your ceiling

Well, she was a buyer's agent. I will consider it. The neighbors are another story I won't go into.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/20 23:51:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I had the grill going down on the dock the other day. It was a Webber charcoal grill and I had it pretty close to a Locust tree. It had been going for about five minutes and I was using the type of charcoal that lites with some type of petroleum base. It flamed real good and the heat caused the exodus of about a million huge black ants from the tree. They left in such a hurry that they were falling like crazy into the lake. I always have a bunch of bluegill hanging out around the dock for the shade and safety. It was buffet city for the bluegill. I love to watch them do top water strikes. They must have called their buddies cause in about a minute, every bluegill for docks around showed up.

If only the bluegill were effective out of the water.. I later cut the locust down due to its proximity to the dock. It was hollowed out in the center and was the home of these huge ants.

I sort of wish I had not cut the trees as the bast---- probably moved to my house.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

OK, so first I start the BBQ...then I flood the house...
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: This ain't no picnic 2003/08/21 13:15:07 (permalink)
    Kill two birds with one stone; flood the house with propane, then light the BBQ.

Eric, Figuring The Place *Is* Insured
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1