This is not a rant but...

Author
Rubyshaveice
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
2012/02/21 18:31:10 (permalink)

This is not a rant but...

Not to go off on some political diatribe about over regulation and unfriendly business environments for business, but...
anyone think it's kinda crazy that the health department requires FOUR sinks if you want to sell a 99 cent cup of coffee from a concession trailer. Really health department. Four sinks.

15 Replies Related Threads

reese77
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 18:53:52 (permalink)
    Some of the regulations suck and it is really just the city covering their asses but it is for the best. Without the regulations we could have vendors out there like the one middle Eastern dude in NY that was using the bathroom in a bucket on his truck. Who knows what else he had going on....lol
    Rubyshaveice
    Junior Burger
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 18:55:44 (permalink)
    I'm all for sensible regulation, I'm just saying, four sinks to sell a cup of coffee. I can't get over it. four sinks.
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2420
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 19:15:46 (permalink)
    Ruby is one sink for washing hands and the other three for dishwashing. How would you clean the coffee maker & pots ????? How can you afford to have a truck to sell 99cent coffee.............
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1998
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 19:40:18 (permalink)
    If it makes you feel any better, I have five sinks in my trailer, some areas require six.
    Rubyshaveice
    Junior Burger
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 19:50:39 (permalink)
    All you need is good split sink. We are talking about cleaning dishes, not creating a sterile field for  open heart surgery. Use hot water, wash you hands, clean your sink, use soap, use clean and dry towels, a hygienic scrubbing medium. This isn't difficult folks. It's really not. You don't need 4 sinks. Well, let me rephrase, I don't need four sinks. It's overkill.  It's make work. It's dumb. Yes, I have four sinks to play along. But...
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 19:56:21 (permalink)
    Technically, in Massachusetts, you need 7 sinks: 3-bay dishwashing, handwashing, mop sink, and (new last year) a 2-bay produce washing sink.

I guarantee 99.9% of restaurants in this state (including mine) are not in compliance with the produce sink requirement. I actually just learned about that new requirement at my ServSafe renewal class last week.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2420
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 20:11:19 (permalink)
    Ruby, this isn't a play along site, it's a site new food vendors come to get help  from others who have already taken the plunge. You need to take a course in food handling, you may get a better understanding of the reasons why these sinks are needed. Then you may be in the position to run your business in a nice, clean, sanitized way..............
    chefbuba
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 20:24:09 (permalink)
    Take the food handlers course, then you will learn why you can't towel dry your dishes, why you need four sinks, and a drain board to drain your washed, rinsed and sanitized dishes on.
    Food service, in any capacity is serious business with the health dept. They will not play games, or bend the rules. Some may seem incomprehensible to you, but there is a reason for them.
    Rubyshaveice
    Junior Burger
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 23:20:18 (permalink)
    Ah so if the health department says so, it must be true right?
    Amazing that people all over America get by with one sink in their homes. You'd think people would be dying in the streets. Sometimes you have to let common sense be your guide, not what the health department tells you  -- they have fiefdoms to protect.
    4 sinks for a cup of coffee. Think about it.

chefbuba
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 23:52:54 (permalink)
    You obviously have no prior experience in food service, or else you would have a different view on the requirements and why they need to be followed.
    Ask all these doggers on here how many have 4 sinks on their hot dog cart.
    Why do they need them? they are only reheating cooked meat....because that's what the health dept requires, and they want to sell dogs, so they comply with the rules.

I have been drinking the health dept's kool aid for over 30 yrs, some of the requirements are a bit out there, but are designed to protect the public.
     I work a border area, licensed in both states,  gloves required on one side, not on the other.
    There are different rules and regs for every city, county, state, but the one constant is that you need to have a 3 bay sink to wash dishes, and a separate hand sink to wash your grubby paws in.

Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/21 23:57:39 (permalink)
    What item on your trailer do you need to wash? Nothing? If so, I'd agree with your plight. If you have spoons, carafes, airpots, filter baskets, etc... then I'd agree with the HD. 
    Although, in some areas for smaller "cold" trucks w/ coffee or "hot" trucks with limited menus, the HD's will clear them that they don't need a sink. Or, only your commissary needs a sink.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/22 00:15:04 (permalink)
    Maybe it was because you already sell ice and you are going into another additional category (hot) and with that the x amount of sinks you needed to satisfy the ice requirement is now much greater because even though it may only be coffee you crossed the "hot" line and are no longer just ice.

Maybe check with the HD to see if this new requirement would also afford you a way to also serve other items to go with the coffee...and grow with a little extra equipment.
    apul
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/22 06:04:23 (permalink)
    Get used to it. Regulations are a part of doing business and are for the greater good and aren't going away. Don't complain, just put your head down and keep working. Is it a drag? Of course, but, hey it's the biz.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/22 06:44:27 (permalink)
    I quit debating this a long time ago in many different forums, but I firmly believe this hyper clean mania and fixation that is going on in the states has had a huge detrimental effect on the overall health of Americans.   I'm a firm believer in general common sense hygiene in commercial environments but... well, here's the details on why I believe all these over the top efforts are a bad path to follow:
    http://www.hygienehypothesis.com/
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:This is not a rant but... 2012/02/22 20:56:25 (permalink)
    I think the "commissary" deal is ridiculous. If you have a self contained food cart, then why do you need a commissary? But does my opinion count Nope. We just follow the rules and don't vend in states with commissary rules.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1