Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/21 12:59:12 (permalink)
Well, yanno so many Subways are also located in gas station/convienience stores now too...
Still, makes me kinda leery... I would rather go to a freestanding Subway/Any FFR than one in a gas station.
I mean so many FFR's are setting up shop in places like that.
Becoming more frequent....
So... maybe I will just peek inside and look around to feel it out.
The sign is huge, and I didnt realize it was a gas station until I looked closer....being new in town, still not used to lots of things here.
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/21 14:42:20 (permalink)
Hey Roosy, it's time for a complete run down on where you've eaten
and what you thought! I know you're still getting around, but you'll find out soon that A LOT of people want info about Myrtle Beach area eateries (16 million tourists a year).
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/21 15:22:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan

Hey Roosy, it's time for a complete run down on where you've eaten
and what you thought! I know you're still getting around, but you'll find out soon that A LOT of people want info about Myrtle Beach area eateries (16 million tourists a year).

I really have not been to many yet.... Basic chains so far (gasp)....one Q joint and one hot dog place.
There are so many restaurants here, one is confused as to where to start.
I do have my eye on a little place here in Conway.
I will put something together in a few weeks after I have been to more, and post it.

I am eager to check your place out, BTW--how is it coming, and where is it?..
Let me know when you open.
I have been so busy, I have not really had a chance to get to that list of places that I got back in January.
I got a job the first week, so it took lot's of time away from me to play tourist.
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/21 20:45:41 (permalink)
We have 2 Jersey Mike's here in Topeka, and they are the best subs in town. Nowhere near Viola's Subs in my hometown of Niagara Falls, or other East Coast sub places, but very good for the Midwest.

Plus the local franchise owner, Keith, is a Jersey boy and knows subs.
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/21 21:12:20 (permalink)
Tell me a little about Viola's. I get to NF about once a year.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/21 21:14:38 (permalink)
Ok, Scorereader, I saw another freestanding Jersey Mikes over by the beach, so apparently, there are several in the area.
I will get the ol' yellow pages out and see....
Then, I will check one of them out.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/22 10:17:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Ok, Scorereader, I saw another freestanding Jersey Mikes over by the beach, so apparently, there are several in the area.
I will get the ol' yellow pages out and see....
Then, I will check one of them out.

you'll know right away when you walk in if it'll be any good. When the guy says "wha-dah-ya-want!?" You'll know it'll be ok. If he/she says "may I take your order," turn around and leave. . There HAS to be NY attitude, otherwise, it'll just be a half step up from subway.
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/22 11:43:42 (permalink)
Signman- Viola's Subs is at 1539 Military Road in the LaSalle neighborhood. There was also one off Pine Avenue by the City market, but I don't know if it's still open or not.

They're famous for their steak & cheese subs, but everything is good.
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/22 23:51:10 (permalink)
I used to eat at the original Jersey Mike's in Point Pleasant NJ and for a while there was a store in Freehold, but I had no idea Jersey Mike's had become a chain until I moved to Virginia. There's two near me, and if I'm dying for a sub and don't have a trip to Jersey in my immediate future JM fills the need. It's not perfect--I resign myself to forking over an extra dollar just so I can get a decent amount of meat and cheese--but compared to other sub places around here it's about as close as I can get to a real sub.
georgiadawgs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/05/03 22:21:37 (permalink)
Jersey Mike's is a chain here in GA. When I first moved here in 2001 I really liked it. Reminded me a lot of this place in East Lansing, MI, Jersey Giants (which is the BEST sub I have ever had!

But the last couple years Jersey Mike's has really gone to downhill. At least the locations around Atlanta. Bad enough to the point I'll go without before I'll waste 9 BUCKS on a sub there. As far as the Atlanta area the only other good sub place is Baldinos, which has surpassed Jersey Mike's by far in this area.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1978
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/05/04 13:30:29 (permalink)
So many chains start off with a good concept and product, but so few chains stay true to their roots. If there ever was a real Jersey Mike, I wonder what he would think of today's product?
caver
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/05/04 19:30:09 (permalink)
Personally I like Jersey Mikes for cold subs. If you want a really good toasted sub in Nashville try the Sub Depot off Donelson Pike. It's in the shopping center with the Kmart just North of I-40. It's the block opposite from where Boos was.

They do some good cold subs, but they're toasted ones are some of the best I've had. Good bread, and the ones I've had hold up well as you eat them, no soggy mess.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2302
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/05/04 21:06:17 (permalink)
Thanks for that tip. I only live a mile or so from there, and will try it tomorrow night after work.
Cheezburger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/03 07:08:57 (permalink)
Had my first and last Jersey Mike's sub in the Cincinnati area a few weeks ago. My wife and I had the worst representation of a Philly cheese steak ever. Will not go back!
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/03 09:13:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cheezburger

Had my first and last Jersey Mike's sub in the Cincinnati area a few weeks ago. My wife and I had the worst representation of a Philly cheese steak ever. Will not go back!

Your first mistake was getting a cheese steak outside of Philadelphia. Everyone knows you eat chili in Cincy.
Cheezburger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/04 19:07:08 (permalink)
Mandalay, unfortunately Cincy chili ranks very low on my priority list around here. I just don't get the precieved hype about the chili or coney dogs in this area. Everybody's taste is different I understand...... but I would not go out of my way to eat at Skyline or Goldstar.
keef richards
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/09 19:36:44 (permalink)
it is good for what it is.(a blimpies, subway chain type) but it is an embarassmentto new jersey deli's. any deli that does not have fresh muzz should not be consider a nj deli. muzz is mozzarella made from fresh curds and pulled by hand usually made on premises everyday. the bread is also not representive of the northern nj area it is like wonder bread shaped in a sub roll. next time you go to jersey mikes ask for soprasetta,fresh muzz,sharp provolone or "gava-gool". they won't know what you are asking for.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/12 16:50:10 (permalink)
quote:

Finally just tried one myself over the weekend.
Probably wont get another one. Menu is bland, I can get a better veggie sub at Subway...
I will stick to making my own phillys or just eat them at work.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/13 11:13:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Finally just tried one myself over the weekend.
Probably wont get another one. Menu is bland, I can get a better veggie sub at Subway...
I will stick to making my own phillys or just eat them at work.

I'm not sure why anyone would order a cheesesteak at Jersey Mike's sub in the first placer. It's a sub shop, not a cheesesteak shop.
If you're going to judge Jersey Mike based on it's cheesesteak, then you should judge subway on it's cheesesteak...or other hot subs, which are just pure crap.

georgiadawgs
Junior Burger
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/13 20:19:40 (permalink)
I tried...I really tried to give this place another chance. Today at lunch I was short on time, desperate, and it was either CrapDonald's or Jersey Mike's. I figured what the heck, up to the last couple times I went there, it actually used to be pretty decent...BOY what a mistake, I think its actually gotten much worse than the last bad experience I had there. I think the price has actually gone up and the amount of food down. NINE and A HALF FREAKIN' DOLLARS for a sub! Barely any meat, horrible service. I think my money would have been better spent being used as toilet paper. Sorry no way, this place is horrible, NEVER AGAIN!

Here in Atlanta there's really only one other place that comes anything close to a Jersey sub, and that's Baldino's. 100 TIMES better than this crap. Not too mention bigger portions, better service, they serve BEER, and $3-4 cheaper for a sub!
Really can't imagine Jersey Mike's being around much longer, just a bad horribly overpriced product!
georgiadawgs
Junior Burger
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/13 20:26:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

So many chains start off with a good concept and product, but so few chains stay true to their roots. If there ever was a real Jersey Mike, I wonder what he would think of today's product?

That is very true. Last year I was at a Jersey Mike's getting a sub, and the owner happened to be in there the place was empty so we got talking for a little bit. Since about 2004 they've made lots of changes with the franchise, mainly that they've been forcing a lot of corporate stuff on the indiv. franchises, making them raise prices, charge for any and all extras, etc. He had actually sold his franchises back to the company or something and was outta there in a couple weeks. He said many of the independants were getting out, and felt the corp. was putting the franchise on a spiral downward. Well I can definately say he sure seems right!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/06/14 10:15:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by georgiadawgs

quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

That is very true. Last year I was at a Jersey Mike's getting a sub, and the owner happened to be in there the place was empty so we got talking for a little bit. Since about 2004 they've made lots of changes with the franchise, mainly that they've been forcing a lot of corporate stuff on the indiv. franchises, making them raise prices, charge for any and all extras, etc. He had actually sold his franchises back to the company or something and was outta there in a couple weeks. He said many of the independants were getting out, and felt the corp. was putting the franchise on a spiral downward. Well I can definately say he sure seems right!

Man, that's too bad. The one in Greensboro, NC I used to go to was pretty damn decent. The owner was from Jersey and it felt like the kind of NY sub shop I grew up on.
Maybe all the recent crappy reviews is the trend, which is too bad. I guess I'll stop defending the place, knowing that even the franchise owners aren't happy about the direction it's taking.
Oh well, I have a few nice places for a sub in DC I can go, so I don't need a chain subshop.

ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2007/03/14 17:33:17 (permalink)
WOW! Been a while since I started this, and I think I have been back to most every sub place three times over. I pretty much have decided the following:

Jersey Mike's has become WAY over-priced. I paid over $9 for a tuna sub that was spotty at best. Not a lot of tuna, and they didn't know the meaning of "heavy" onions.

Baldino's on the other hand, literally had the tuna falling out of the bread. It was packed with tuna and veggies. A little over $6 with cheese!" />

The nice lady that has been there forever, says sadly enough, that business is off 50% now, several months after the GM plant has been closed. Why more of these didn't open way back when around Atlanta, I will never know. Maybe it is just this location that packs 'em heavy, but they have done so, no matter who has been behind the counter.

A close 2nd goes to Publix. They aren't shy about stacking the veggies high as requested, and they also are cheaper than Jersey Mike's. Another great thing is that you can get one made right up to closing. Not only does Kroger's sub completely suck, they close shop at 9pm in the deli, period. Publix has really kicked their butt, locally.

For two chains that have the lead in the market, Subway and Blimpie's are really pretty lame. The last tuna melt at Blimpie's was a disaster, and the last sandwich at Subway was much like Jersey Mike's---little between the bread. No wonder Jared lost all the weight.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2007/03/15 01:03:02 (permalink)
Honestly, I don't think I'd get a tuna-anything (sub OR melt) at a chain place. 1st off, I only like albacore tuna and chain places don't use that. Second, when I think of a Sub, I don't think of grilled, toasted or otherwise cooked as really being a "sub" especially at a chain. (Which may be another reason I hate Quiznos) When I think of a sub, I think of deli meats, cheese, appropriate fixings (like lettuce, tomato onion, oregano, a little oil and veinegar, in a long roll. Of course, there is the meatball sub and philly cheesesteak. But, I don't consider either a "sub" in the deli-subshop sense, since they are specialties that should only be had in a place that specializes in such a sandwich.

californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2007/03/15 01:23:07 (permalink)
out here in food deprived california, blimpies is best; they use real meat , not like the subway synthetics , and if you get yours the blimpie way with the special vinegar you can actually smell an east coast breeze.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2007/03/15 18:12:18 (permalink)
Why would you even waste your money on one of those chain sub shops where the workers don't care about anything except thier shift being over ? Find a local shop or a mom & pop deli for a 100% better sangwich.
SgtHulka
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2007/03/16 10:59:17 (permalink)
I aggree with sk bob. We had a Jersey Mikes here in Akron, OH and it closed. It was better than Quiznos and Subway. However, I go a little ways up the road the this place called Ivans Deli. It's a mom and pop that does catering as well. He has a jar of homeade pickles on every able that you eat until your huge sandwich comes out. I'd much rather give him my money. And the pickles are awesome.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2007/03/16 19:25:20 (permalink)
SgtHulka, love the handle. " TRAINING SIR '
Barbarainnc
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 95
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2007/05/13 19:01:34 (permalink)
I'd rather go to Jersey Mikes than Subway. The bread is better and I love the Original or the Roast Beef the best.
wlaurie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2007/05/13 19:22:59 (permalink)
None of these places can compare to Big John' s Subs. They're a chain, but haven't seen a lot of them around. The closest one to us is in Lansing. Anyway, they put on a lot of meat on their steak and cheese subs and have a great italian sauce. We used to live in Delaware, where you can get a decent cheesesteak and this is the only place in MI that even comes close to a good sub.I don't care for Subway at all and we recently got a Jimmy Johns in town that I've tried twice, but it wasn't good enough that I would reccommend. Same ol problem, lots of bread but not much substance.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1