Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
2005/05/05 19:57:47 (permalink)

Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs?

Here in Atlanta, I've decided Jersey Mike's Subs, is the best of the bunch. I'd like to hear what you think.

We have basically:
Subway
Blimpie's
Quizno's
All in high numbers

I know of a single Baldino's Giant Jersey Subs, but haven't tried it. There is also a local place of legend: The Sub Base It has been around 25 or more year, in the same dumpy location. And only opened for lunch. I plan to try it again, as it's been years.

Anyway, we now have about a dozen Jersey Mike's, and after trying several locations, I have decided of the major chains, I think they are the clear winner.

Blimpie's have never thrilled me. They seem to close earlier than Subways. I had a tuna melt, that was a horrible, goo-disaster of soggy bread. Haven't been back. Subway seems to do a decent job, though they use "packaged" meats, which doesn't thrill me. Quizno's I tried once, and the the gimmick didn't seem to add much, considering the hype.

I have found Jersey Mike's, to make a bigger sub than most others, at just a bit more dollar. The meats and cheeses are deli-sliced. I think the bread is superior, though they seem to run out of wheat way too much. The best thing is that they happily pile on the veggies, without having to beg. I have found the other chains don't understand the meaning of "heavy" onions! The produce seems a bit fresher, as well. I have found their hot offerings, MUCH better than the other chains. Microwaves at Subway may be fast, but as with their method with the meats, it's inferior in taste to me.

I believe I get a bigger, fresher, true deli-style sub, from Jersey Mike's.

81 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/05 20:13:30 (permalink)
    I bought a sub at a Jersey Mike's once. I ordered an Italian sub. It had baked Virginia ham, White American cheese, and some sort of salami that was as Italian as the Himalyas. It also had lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise.

Nuff said!
    mbmusgrove
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/05 20:39:34 (permalink)
    Jersey Mike's Subs doesn't offer an "Italian Sub" on it's menu. What you ordered was a #11: cheese, ham, salami. And you are able to choose what type of cheese and any extras that go on it.

If you wanted a more italian sandwich, the #2, 4, 5 or #13 may have been more to your liking. #13= Jersey Mike's original: cheese, ham, proscuittini, cappacuolo, salami, pepperoni. Provolone is available.
    You may want to give them another try, or make sure it was a Jersey Mike's you were at.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/05 20:56:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mbmusgrove

Jersey Mike's Subs doesn't offer an "Italian Sub" on it's menu. What you ordered was a #11: cheese, ham, salami. And you are able to choose what type of cheese and any extras that go on it.

If you wanted a more italian sandwich, the #2, 4, 5 or #13 may have been more to your liking. #13= Jersey Mike's original: cheese, ham, proscuittini, cappacuolo, salami, pepperoni. Provolone is available.
    You may want to give them another try, or make sure it was a Jersey Mike's you were at.

It was Jersey Mike's, and I said Italian because I ordered it with salami, capacolla, Genoa salami and provolone.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/05 22:45:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ULVER

Here in Atlanta, I've decided Jersey Mike's Subs, is the best of the bunch. I'd like to hear what you think.

We have basically:
    Subway
    Blimpie's
    Quizno's
    All in high numbers

I know of a single Baldino's Giant Jersey Subs, but haven't tried it. There is also a local place of legend: The Sub Base It has been around 25 or more year, in the same dumpy location. And only opened for lunch. I plan to try it again, as it's been years.

Anyway, we now have about a dozen Jersey Mike's, and after trying several locations, I have decided of the major chains, I think they are the clear winner.

Blimpie's have never thrilled me. They seem to close earlier than Subways. I had a tuna melt, that was a horrible, goo-disaster of soggy bread. Haven't been back. Subway seems to do a decent job, though they use "packaged" meats, which doesn't thrill me. Quizno's I tried once, and the the gimmick didn't seem to add much, considering the hype.

I have found Jersey Mike's, to make a bigger sub than most others, at just a bit more dollar. The meats and cheeses are deli-sliced. I think the bread is superior, though they seem to run out of wheat way too much. The best thing is that they happily pile on the veggies, without having to beg. I have found the other chains don't understand the meaning of "heavy" onions! The produce seems a bit fresher, as well. I have found their hot offerings, MUCH better than the other chains. Microwaves at Subway may be fast, but as with their method with the meats, it's inferior in taste to me.

I believe I get a bigger, fresher, true deli-style sub, from Jersey Mike's.

The only good thing I can think of, about Jersey Mike's is, We used to have 3 Jersey Mike's in a 20 miles radius of My house, now there is only one!

The Sub was real big, but it was the sub bun part of it that was big,
    very very little meat on them and they were a lot more pricey than SUBWAY or BLIMPIE"S!
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/06 13:51:15 (permalink)
    I've never had a chance to try jersey mikes, quiznos makes a good sandwich but its not what I consider a sub, subway is the same, a good sandwich but not what this philly area transplant considers a sub. Years ago (30+) in Seaside Heights Nj there was a Blimpies, then it was a hoagie shop where 3 sandwichs fed a family of 7.. The local incarnation with its 6inch and "full size" sandwichs is a far cry from that memory, altough as an alternative to ffburgers its a good sandwich. Larry's Giant Subs fits in the same catagory.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/06 17:01:55 (permalink)
    Hey Ulver, try the Baldino's on Powers Ferry near the Big Chicken. IMHO it's far better than Jersey Mikes. Fresher, just-baked buns and fresher ingredients. Jersey Mikes near Town Center closed down.
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/06 17:15:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

Hey Ulver, try the Baldino's on Powers Ferry near the Big Chicken. IMHO it's far better than Jersey Mikes. Fresher, just-baked buns and fresher ingredients. Jersey Mikes near Town Center closed down.

I have a Baldino's even closer than that. On Buford Highway. It must be good, as it's still there, among about 150 taco shacks, and Viet Namese noodle huts. I'm thinking it might get a lot of biz, from the General Motors plant nearby. I'll try Baldino's! Thanks...
    Swilliams
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/12 17:46:44 (permalink)
    Baldino's i have always liked more than subway or Jersey Mike's *YUCK* My grandfather lives in Ga and always took us there for subs. I think the Roast Beef with everything and extra onions is my favorite.
    anselmo1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/12 18:10:42 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, there are no Jersey Mike's submarine sandwich shops in Western New York. It would be pretty hard for them to complete with the likes of Wegman's and DiBella's submarines in our area.

http://www.dibellas.com/

http://www.wegmans.com/pdf/easyShopping/subs/83SubMenu.pdf
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/12 20:02:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by anselmo1

Unfortunately, there are no Jersey Mike's submarine sandwich shops in Western New York. It would be pretty hard for them to complete with the likes of Wegman's and DiBella's submarines in our area.

http://www.dibellas.com/

http://www.wegmans.com/pdf/easyShopping/subs/83SubMenu.pdf

Sorry but I always question sandwiches that have cute names like"the Godfather"
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/13 09:53:56 (permalink)
    Unfortunately in these parts, we are mostly left with Subway (McSub) or Quizno's (toasted - but cold by the time you eat it - yuck). We do have one outlet of Jersey Mike's that I found by accident, and I think it's pretty good. The #13 is the way to go if you want "Italian Sub" (which I always do). Still wish I understood why everyone in South insists on having their subs lathered with mayo - that is a sub NO-NO!!!!! For me, everything but onions, sometimes like a little mustard added. Now I think I know what I'm going to have for lunch....
    halfday
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/13 10:32:32 (permalink)
    Sorry folks but the chain sub shops can't even come close to the Mom & Pop, independent sub shops in my area. Local made sub rolls and good quality meats & cheeses, homemade oil, etc.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/13 10:41:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by halfday

Sorry folks but the chain sub shops can't even come close to the Mom & Pop, independent sub shops in my area. Local made sub rolls and good quality meats & cheeses, homemade oil, etc.

"you are so RIGHT!!!!"
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/13 11:51:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

quote:

"you are so RIGHT!!!!"

I'll third that.

I am jealous of many of you in other area's with access to good Italian Beef sandwiches, the New Englanders with delicious (whole belly) fried clams and lobster rolls, and the good apizza in CT. But I do not suffer for a good sub. You think these chains can make a sub? Come to Rochester and try a real sub at Joey DiBella's.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/13 12:20:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

quote:

quote:

"you are so RIGHT!!!!"

I'll third that.

I am jealous of many of you in other area's with access to good Italian Beef sandwiches, the New Englanders with delicious (whole belly) fried clams and lobster rolls, and the good apizza in CT. But I do not suffer for a good sub. You think these chains can make a sub? Come to Rochester and try a real sub at Joey DiBella's.

And I'll Fourth that! However, here in Michigan, the veggies during the winter time as so bland tasting, that no matter how good of quality the roll or meats are, the veggies seem to kill it...
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/13 16:05:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

quote:

quote:

"you are so RIGHT!!!!"

I'll third that.

And I'll Fourth that! However, here in Michigan, the veggies during the winter time as so bland tasting, that no matter how good of quality the roll or meats are, the veggies seem to kill it...

UNCLE VIC:

If you, ever get to Kalamazoo, try "The Galley" sub shop. I discovered "The Gallery" approx. 20 years ago , when I was visiting my Sister, at W.M.U., and they STILL SERVE AN AWESOME SUB!!!!!!!!

http://www.galleysubs.com/menu2.htm

http://kzoo.com/asp/membercoupons.asp?id=80
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/15 19:23:35 (permalink)
    I tried the Baldino's Giant Subs last night! I was quite impressed! It was really packed with Boar's Head (slightly extra) turkey breast, and the veggies seemed fresh. Very tasty. The total cost was less than any other chain I've tried.

OK, those who suggested it over my choice of Jersey Mike's, have won me over. I still say a lot depends on who makes it, and the quality of the produce they allow on the sandwich. Results may vary by location and staff.

Anyway...This place also had SIX domestic beers on draft!" /> Anyone seen that before!

The lady behind the counter, had been with the company for 12 years. This location was company owned, while the other lone Atlanta location is a franchise. They have some more locations in Georgia college towns, including one that is 24-hours.

She sadly mentioned that business is poor. The once thriving store, opened in 1991, used to have 10 people working at lunch. The building is near a General Motor's plant. Maybe that explains the draft beer!

Anyway, I have a bit of social commentary. The reason the manager mentioned (bravely so) for the decline was sorely obvious. Illegal aliens were everywhere. On corners, at gas stations, and unfortunately for Baldino's near their parking lot. A police officer walked in, and was privy to our conversation. He couldn't count how many places to eat had vanished. The Pizza Hut was a taco place. The Steak & Shake was a taco place. The Arby's was a Taco Place. The Sonics was a taco place. The Popeye's was a taco place. I asked him if (as he stated) 90% of the people loitering were illegal, why nothing is being done. "The feds" he said..."they just don't give a damn." He mentioned, that the first hispanic officer hired by the city, had been shot and killed by an illegal a couple years ago, directly across the street from the Baldino's.

garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/05/15 23:23:33 (permalink)
    quote:

I tried the Baldino's Giant Subs last night! I was quite impressed! It was really packed with Boar's Head (slightly extra) turkey breast, and the veggies seemed fresh. Very tasty. The total cost was less than any other chain I've tried.

OK, those who suggested it over my choice of Jersey Mike's, have won me over. I still say a lot depends on who makes it, and the quality of the produce they allow on the sandwich. Results may vary by location and staff.

Anyway...This place also had SIX domestic beers on draft!" /> Anyone seen that before!

The lady behind the counter, had been with the company for 12 years. This location was company owned, while the other lone Atlanta location is a franchise. They have some more locations in Georgia college towns, including one that is 24-hours.

She sadly mentioned that business is poor. The once thriving store, opened in 1991, used to have 10 people working at lunch. The building is near a General Motor's plant. Maybe that explains the draft beer!

Anyway, I have a bit of social commentary. The reason the manager mentioned (bravely so) for the decline was sorely obvious. Illegal aliens were everywhere. On corners, at gas stations, and unfortunately for Baldino's near their parking lot. A police officer walked in, and was privy to our conversation. He couldn't count how many places to eat had vanished. The Pizza Hut was a taco place. The Steak & Shake was a taco place. The Arby's was a Taco Place. The Sonics was a taco place. The Popeye's was a taco place. I asked him if (as he stated) 90% of the people loitering were illegal, why nothing is being done. "The feds" he said..."they just don't give a damn." He mentioned, that the first hispanic officer hired by the city, had been shot and killed by an illegal a couple years ago, directly across the street from the Baldino's.

Another reason that their sales are down, could be, because they are close to a GM plant! GM Sales are down, overtime hours are way down for workers and also there are workers Laid off! If workers aren't geting overtime, they cut back on spending and if workers on laid off, they cut down on spending.
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/06/04 18:05:10 (permalink)
    WOW! I have had three subs this week, from three different Publix grocery stores. I think they have been the very best I've tried so far! I was amazed...

They really dressed it out, just as I asked. HEAVY onions, means a lot...something Subway just can't seem to comprehend. Everything here was fresh, including the bread. Really a well-made, hardy sandwich.

Seems the local cops agree. Several having lunch there, while the Subway was empty.

Anyone else have good luck with Publix?
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/06/04 18:31:45 (permalink)
    Publix is ok, if you get the Boar's Head, but to get back to the original topic, Jersey Mike's is better, also a better value.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/06/05 10:41:33 (permalink)
    I posted the same question on Jersey Mikes' a while back under the sandwich thread. Below is the response I got
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Originally posted by QFan

A Jersey Mike's has opened up down here in Ft Myers. Obviously, we are a long way from the heart of cheese steak and hoagie country in the northeast. Can any of you Philly-area experts tell me whether Jersey Mike's makes a reliable CS or hoagie when you can't get the real thing. I seem to remember some earlier posts that were pretty favorable?

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

Jersey Mike's is an abomination. I've never heard of one having cheese steaks, but then I've never looked. Their so-called Italian subs, at least in the franchises here in central Ohio, have baked ham, bad salami, cheap cheese and disgusting bread. Other than that, they're terrific.
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2005/06/14 12:31:09 (permalink)
    We finally got several Jersey Mike's in Memphis. I am originally from Jersey and know a good sub when I have one. The interesting thing about Jersey Mike's in Memphis is the difference in quality and service at the different locations. I can get a very good sub at one location and it is almost as good as a one in Jersey. Fortunately there is a real authentic Italian deli in mid-town Memphis. It is called Fino's and is a true mom and pop kind of place. They use real good Italian bread that is freshly baked and load the subs with good meat and cheeses. All of their ingredients are quality and take charge a very fair price.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/20 16:26:43 (permalink)
    I am glad I searched and read this, as there is a Jerseys Mike's close to me. I am glad I didnt waste my money. I would rather stick with Subway veggie sub after these reviews..Thanks!
    (I know its an old post, but that is what searches are for!)
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/20 16:58:15 (permalink)
    quote:

ULVER - you still need to check out the Baldino's on Powers Ferry in the same area as Harry's market. We go there once a week on the average. Let me know if you're in the area on a Mon. or Wed. around 11:30 AM sometime and I'll let you buy me lunch.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/20 17:13:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

I am glad I searched and read this, as there is a Jerseys Mike's close to me. I am glad I didnt waste my money. I would rather stick with Subway veggie sub after these reviews..Thanks!

I went to one in Greensboro and it was good. Better than subway and Quiznos. The owners of that franchise were from the NYC area, and were great to talk to. They put together a nice sub back when I lived there.
    I went to another one in Raliegh area, and it wasn't as good. SO, it really depends on the franchise owner. The quality varies widely from one Jersey Mikes to the next.
    So, give it a try, and report back...or not.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/20 17:44:55 (permalink)
    Bobs, I couldn't agree more! Most of the Jersey Mike's around Nashville aren't worth a second glance, but the one at 100 Oaks is one of my favorite sandwich spots around town.
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/20 17:56:26 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete- I hope you and anyone else going through Memphis has an opportunity to try Fino's in mid-town. This is a real mom and pop operation with the same people making the sandwiches everyday. The sandwiches are authentic Italian with high quality ingredients. I have never been disappointed and truly like everything on the menu. They are closed Sunday and Monday and stay open until 6pm.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/20 19:32:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

I went to one in Greensboro and it was good. Better than subway and Quiznos. The owners of that franchise were from the NYC area, and were great to talk to. They put together a nice sub back when I lived there.
    I went to another one in Raliegh area, and it wasn't as good. SO, it really depends on the franchise owner. The quality varies widely from one Jersey Mikes to the next.

Well, I will.. Kinda scary, as it is located inside a gas station/convienience store.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Thoughts On Jersey Mike's Subs? 2006/03/21 08:06:14 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

Well, I will.. Kinda scary, as it is located inside a gas station/convienience store.

oh, well, you didn't say that! maybe forget it then. The Jersey Mike's in Greensboro was its own place.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1