Time 2 clean up the membership rolls?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 20:49:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tacchino
BTW, this is the first site that I ever contributed to, and I've felt that my comments were accepted. Even when people disagree, it seems to be done in respectful manner.
Nah: there's a group of us who are saving up for an all-out assault. . . .
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 22:18:58 (permalink)
I lurk, I post on occasion, I ain't never been accused of being a troll, although some may thing I look like one. These forums are my relaxation after a long day on the job.

Being a Judge ain't easy you know.

Besides I love FOOD!

Please Please Please, Let me stay
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 23:34:00 (permalink)

Hey Judge...errrr Yo' UR Honor, Whats the penalty for Lulking under a Bridge in Nebraska?? I mean thats what a troll does for a living, isn't it?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 00:19:01 (permalink)
I think every member is precious-unless, they break the rules.
And, from what I see, very few do.
I say, keep em all.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 05:07:32 (permalink)
Hello All,
I've always thought of Roadfood as a family or community.
Some speak up more than others, some are witty while others serious,
and some are snarly and others sweet, but we, all, enjoy food, sharing
and listening to other's thoughts and experience, and each other's
unique traits. This is truly a cyber home for me. I love and
appreciate each of you, even when we have family arguments.
You have all helped me grow, not just in food matters, but helped me
grow in my soul. I thank you all.
There may be technical reasons to clean the rolls, (I am ignorant of
such things) but even if the rolls were cleaned, I would not lose what
I have received from those less active, and in my heart would still appreciate them.
For example, I miss PapaJoe. By cleaning the rolls, I hope it would not wipe
out all his comments on threads and the ones he also created?
If a person dies, are their profiles deleted?
Stephen and the administrators have been unusually wise, informative, and kind (compared
to other sites) when it comes to administrating this site and introducing change.
Many times I don't understand why people are banned, threads locked, etc., but there
times I haven't understood my father, mother, brothers, children, etc., and times they
haven't understood me. That happens in a family, in a community, and I don't give up
or runaway just because I don't understand everything. I must stop because I don't want
to sound like a butt-kisser. I just love and appreciate everyone here, in good and bad times.
And I have learnt so much!! And loved so much!!!
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
P.S. Oh, sorry if I've offended anyone in any of my postings.
I ask for forgiveness if I have. That's a part of family and
community as well.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 06:37:07 (permalink)
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is but for those lurkers/readers out there...lurk/read on. mickie49, nobody here wants anybody to go away and no culling of the membership database is taking place apart from stephen removing bad information (like email addresses that continue to bounce for example).

Nobody should be uncomfortable posting..especially new members. I think most of the membership here (and the mods) appreciate and welcome new reviews and ideas. What's not appreciated is spam which comes in many flavors and is often disguised as feedback, reviews, or just links in a a users signature. jlobough got it right in his post.

bob in cary and 911mom - At one time I felt as you do and even brought it up to the other mods. I feel however that things have changed to some degree and most new posters are welcomed (unless they spam or say something really dumb ). Can we do more? I think so but if you spend any time in the profiles of members like we do, I think you will find MANY members that joined in the last year are thriving and posting away. It doesn't take long to become accepted in any forum...you just need to read a little, understand the forum rules, and walk into the pool feet first. It helps if you put on your thick skin suit though since posts are so lacking in emotion and voice inflection that feelings can get hurt when that was not the intent. It's just the nature of this type of communication.

I'd like to see more of the lurkers posting but if not..lurk on. As far as I know, everybody is welcome here.

cd348
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 07:29:44 (permalink)
I haven't posted much but I really enjoy this site. I enjoy the pictures, the reviews, the tips and techniques, especially for BBQ because I am a BBQ nut. Living in Florida lets me BBQ year round. I just really enjoy this site.
mickie49
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 08:32:51 (permalink)
Thanks----I really do enjoy the photos and reviews and some of the postings and posters in various threads are really hilarious!
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 08:33:29 (permalink)
Hey Mr. Mayor!

We just let our trolls live under the bridge & call them illegals!

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8481
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 08:41:58 (permalink)
The internet is a wonderful thing, and I am glad for sites such as this.Leave the inactive members on-let them enjoy.As for somewhat negative responses on occasion, like any conversation in life,whether face to face or otherwise,one must consider the person.We all get passionate about a subject here and there, and it may come off the wrong way.I feel 99% of what is said here is fun conversation between people from all walks of life....
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 08:44:17 (permalink)
How right you are Ann. I enjoy the food talk, but more important the posters.

I have to be serious all day (wellllllllll most of the day) and I come here for food, fun, & fine friends!

LL
cheesybellybutton
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 09:12:11 (permalink)
I've never had any problems posting on this site, and have generally found everyone to be quite nice. Of course, I've probably just invited abuse with this post. Hehehehe...

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 14:33:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cheesybellybuttonOf course, I've probably just invited abuse with this post. Hehehehe...

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6442
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 15:08:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LegalLady

How right you are Ann. I enjoy the food talk, but more important the posters.

I have to be serious all day (wellllllllll most of the day) and I come here for food, fun, & fine friends!

LL

Yur Honor,

I could jus see you wearing a big ol clown shoes behind the bench, serious on top, fun underneath.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 16:35:04 (permalink)
I guess I watched too many episodes of NIGHT COURT, My imagined vision of Legal Lady is a Cross between Harry Anderson's sense of humor, Markie Post's Appearance and Judge Judy's courtroom behavior. Please don't spoil my cyber-image !!

If my sometimes brash communications have offended anyone -- new or old-- I do apologize. We do run into some 'problems' with a very few members, but the vast majority of all of "us" seem to get along pretty well. If ever you feel that an Admin or Moderator has 'leaned on you' when it wasn't deserved, email the person and ask for an explanation. Many times things turn out to be small breakdowns in communication and can be resolved between the two people easily.

Linda Gebhardt
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/13 16:55:59 (permalink)
I don't post in here very often, but I come here at least once a day to read the new posts. I very much enjoy being a foodie and have found this site useful when traveling with my hubby.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 06:36:33 (permalink)
Could you possibly imagine if all the members posted here on a regular basis? We wouldn't be able to get a post in edgewise.
This is a busy time of year here, it's reflected in the Where should I eat thread. People are planning their summer getaways and come here for the suggestions.
It's great that we have regular posters that can steer them to a previous thread for an area that might be of intrest to them. The new trip report thread is a real plus for anyone planning ahead. I like it because I'm getting ideas on some areas that I might have never thought of.
The only thing that I get somewhat dissapointed in is the one or two time posters that don't report back and tell us about their experiance or visit to a restarunt. I would like to know if they enjoyed it as much as I have in the past. But that being said, the more the merrier. Chow Jim
KIMMYJ1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 08:35:14 (permalink)
I don't post very often and when I do, my posts don't have a lot of substance but this is my absolute favorite site! I would consider it a great "loss" if I wasn't welcome here anymore.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 08:43:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KIMMYJ1962

... my posts don't have a lot of substance but this is my absolute favorite site! ...

Don't sweat it...there are actually only 11 people on here who add any real substantive material to the forum..and I'm not one of them.

You can hang out with the rest of us.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 09:03:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Everyone who registers on Roadfood.com has access to the forums, monthly e-newsletters, bookmarks, ratings, review contributions, etc., but only a minority of the users post on the forums. So while they might not post on the forums, they may be very active on other areas of the site. During our last newsletter only 3% of the emails didn't reach the intended recipient. That puts our "inactive" list around 1,500 of 50,000.

There's actually a Roadfood newsletter!!?? I've been a member for several years now, and I've never received one. Maybe my anti-spam software filters it out. Or maybe the e-mail address that you have for me is incorrect. And maybe there are others like me out there, and your "inactive" list is actually less than 3 percent.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 09:29:42 (permalink)
RB
Yeah there is a newsletter. It was being "anti-spammed" on my computer until I happened to see it in the "junk list" one day and grabbed it. Now I receive it on a regular basis.

Your comment on accurate email addresses is a good one also. Several times we have tried to contact a new poster to assist in a problem--like wrong forum or something simple like that-- by sending a note directly to them, only to have it returned as 'dead-email'. AND sometimes folks forget that when they change an email address they need to update their profile with the new address. So YES Everyone. Be sure the email address on your profile here at Roadfood.com is accurate. Thanks for reminding us, RB.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 09:35:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

RB
Yeah there is a newsletter. It was being "anti-spammed" on my computer until I happened to see it in the "junk list" one day and grabbed it. Now I receive it on a regular basis.

Adding this address:

emails@roadfood.com

to your address book should keep the newsletters from being screened as spam or junk mail.
euclid
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 10:41:39 (permalink)
I have eaten well by using this forum while planning my travels. Like my food, I judge dialogue by quality, not quantity. Most, if not all, of my Roadfood visits while travelling have been recommended by this very forum. Indeed, all of the recommendations have proven to be excellent. What purpose does it serve for me to report what all already know.Should I discover something that is worthy of a post, I shall post. And as a low poster (go Cavs) I shall continue to monitor one of the most unique, informative and satisfying sites until I am booted. Been kicked out of better places. I trust these words exceed the etiquette threshold.
moneypenny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 11:42:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by smturnmire

I am one of the 50K that rarely contributes to the forums, but enjoys this site VERY MUCH!!! I go on Roadfood each night and enjoy reading others posts on food, places to eat, life, etc... I have learned about so many people and feel this is a fun and safe site. I will have to post more often. You all seem so friendly.

roadfood.com is one of the first three sites i check in the morning when by butt hits the chair. w/o roadfood.com i wouldn't have gone to the big apple bbq this past weekend which was amazing.
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 221
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 11:59:39 (permalink)
I am a daily reader and occasional poster. I like reading about and enjoying food. Doesn't that describe us all?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 12:33:11 (permalink)

Participate as much as you feel good about! Some folks spend a lot of time and expand the social life here , and others use the site as a reference for their own personal reasons. AND there are thousands of "in-betweens" who come and go as their own needs are met. All of the above are a plus in my book.

Personally I have made some great friends here, and I am happy to be involved in the operation of site. Life is too short to get caught up in "cyber-frustration", so find your comfort-level here and hang in there!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 12:36:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KIMMYJ1962

I don't post very often and when I do, my posts don't have a lot of substance but this is my absolute favorite site! I would consider it a great "loss" if I wasn't welcome here anymore.

This exactly what I mean't when I stated, "every member is precious and we should keep them all"
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 12:46:26 (permalink)
"Breaking bread" is the oldest ceremony of friendship between men (and women). And, symbolically, that is what we do here every day. Why would we want to exclude someone from our "table'?
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7016
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 12:49:25 (permalink)
Simply stated, this is a GREAT site and don't change a thing. Just bring Ort. back!
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 331
RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/14 13:55:34 (permalink)
I got the following reply from Pwingsx in response to my first posting recently on another forum:

Welcome to the wild word of posting, Ivyhouse! Please join in some more. It was a good first post!

Pwingsx

It is this type of kind welcome that makes me enjoy participating in this site, even if my participation up to now has been largely reading what everyone else has posted and researching restaurants! Thanks, Pwingsx!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1