Time 2 clean up the membership rolls?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
2007/06/10 13:04:26 (permalink)

Time 2 clean up the membership rolls?

I think so. Too many inactive members. What's the deal, Stephen?

92 Replies Related Threads

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2124
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 13:34:28 (permalink)
    Everyone who registers on Roadfood.com has access to the forums, monthly e-newsletters, bookmarks, ratings, review contributions, etc., but only a minority of the users post on the forums. So while they might not post on the forums, they may be very active on other areas of the site. During our last newsletter only 3% of the emails didn't reach the intended recipient. That puts our "inactive" list around 1,500 of 50,000.
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 18:10:48 (permalink)
    Interesting question, interesting response.
    Adjudicator, not being critical, what do you see as the problem with "inactive members"? Maybe you have a point which I simply don't understand. My thought, folks may look in on occasion, perhaps tell friends about the offerings of this site, hence we move forward. As stated by Stephen, the membership is approx. 50K, less a few.
    As I see it, the more the merrier.
    respectfully,
    Rouxdog
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 18:34:23 (permalink)
    As of this writing, of 47,977 members only 9,403 have made any posts.

I also don't see the Adjudicator's concern.

Obviously many members see the virtue of the site -- while keeping silent.

QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 18:46:31 (permalink)
    Unless it's slowing down the site, I don't see the problem either. BTW, proud to be one of the 50k!

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    smturnmire
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 18:58:13 (permalink)
    I am one of the 50K that rarely contributes to the forums, but enjoys this site VERY MUCH!!! I go on Roadfood each night and enjoy reading others posts on food, places to eat, life, etc... I have learned about so many people and feel this is a fun and safe site. I will have to post more often. You all seem so friendly.
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 19:01:58 (permalink)
    I do not write often. I am sorry. What does it matter on this board?
    911mom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 19:21:19 (permalink)
    I enjoy visiting the site and reading the forums and have posted a couple of times. I am hesitant to post though because I have seen where a person posts something and other members jump all over that person ie call them a troll, be rude to them etc.
    rouxdog
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 19:57:43 (permalink)
    WOW!! Thanks to our good and loyal friend Adjudicator, I believe a positive new insight regarding this site has welcomed and encouraged long time friends to contribute! Thanks Adjudicator!

Hope to hear from each of you real soon!
    Jump in, the water's fine!!

Ole Rouxdog
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/10 23:27:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 911mom

I enjoy visiting the site and reading the forums and have posted a couple of times. I am hesitant to post though because I have seen where a person posts something and other members jump all over that person ie call them a troll, be rude to them etc.
    911mom ... Thank you for being here.

There is an odd tendency by some members to jump on people with few posts who herald anything ... That is unfortunate ... Sometimes I think those who jump on new posters habitually should be slowed down a bit.

Welcome to RF.

rouxdog
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 01:00:48 (permalink)
    911mom, I completely agree with wheregregeats. I'm sure you have much to add, please tell us your thoughts!
    Ole Rouxdog
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 01:17:15 (permalink)
    I spent a couple of years here before posting, I think. I wasn't "lurking," nor was I a "troll" except according to my children. I just didn't really have anything to say. (And there are those, I'm sure, who would contend that that is still the case!) But when I began to get involved--and, if I remember rightly, it was by calling Bushie and Mayhaw Man names!--, I never looked back.

I say let 'em be. When it's important to them, people will post. And like others I am always ready to learn from those friends I have yet to meet.

As far as friends I already know, scrooml.

Rick
    jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 03:12:15 (permalink)
    I post where I feel I can contribute. I'm far from informed, but I've learned a great deal here and hope I've helped some folks along the way.

I am more than happy to read about the experiences of the "major players" (I won't go into names, but I enjoy many of your thoughts) and their generally informed opinions. I see a fair number of new folks get jumped on. In reality, it's usually some owner of whatever place they own or someone who has a have a vested interest in a given place (just promotin', but still not in place here without a decent impression or opinion). Some others are just newcomers who don't know how to approach using the forum (we've all been there). Overall, I feel most experienced users are very respectful of the newcomers and are helpful. Cleaning up the membership roll is not a good idea. If there's a lot of spam and a lot of people who don't utilize the forum properly, I can see it. Beyond that, I would hope we're all thankful that enough people love the site and like hearing some of our opinions.

Just my two cents...

John
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 03:35:04 (permalink)
    I got nothing to say either.........Just try to boot me out of roadfood.
    I will hunt you down and BBQ your butt over a Spit..............!
    Have A Good Day.........LOL
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6622
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 03:40:47 (permalink)
    As an "old poster" here, I have no problem with the current old membership rolls. Maybe a lot of these people read the info here but do not post.

About new posters......wow, I can remember very few times when we bashed a newbie.....and that was because of rudeness, inconsideration and just plain being mean. We encourage new people to post! And while you're at it, go to a Maryland Crab Fest or a Memphis BBQ Fest or any of the other Roadfood get-togethers.....we're quite a happy bunch of roadfood-loving folks!

We have made many, many friends from this website, some we've met and some we haven't yet. We look forward to meeting a lot of other Roadfooders!
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 10:12:37 (permalink)

Just a few thoughts. First off, I want to say that today marks my first anniversary on this site. I love it here and I feel that my contributions have made me part of this community. I want to thank all of you for your patience, insight and increasing my desire to hit the road for broader horizons.

There are many of you whose comments, attitudes and just what you are doing in real life to be my main reason to be here. I have always had ideas for what I would like to do in the future and from you folks these dreams seem possible.

As for the troll comments, it seems odd. My understanding of trolling is someone who says that New Haven pizza sucks and Dominoes rules. It is someone who tries to stir up trouble. If you want to see REAL trolling go to: AICN.com ...and there you can see real pros sniping at each other.

mark
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 10:20:30 (permalink)
    I have to agree, unless it is slowing down the site, the more the merrier. You never know who can teach, show you something you did not know about.

I love this site and what it offers to improve my food choices. And I also agree everyone is very nice and helpful.
    eggsactley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 10:25:13 (permalink)
    What's the issue? Not everyone who uses this site as a resource wants to post here. So what?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 11:04:14 (permalink)
    I was here almost 3 years before I posted regularly and used the site to find great places to eat when I traveled to Tucson and the midwest. I almost always enjoy the posts of newbies and I have found the recommendations of roadfooders to be spot-on almost all of the time. Sometimes I think we forget what a great resource this site is when looking for places to eat in a strange city or unknown stretch of highway.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/11 12:46:20 (permalink)
    If I've said it once, I've said it almost 2000 times. I have nothing to say to you people.
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 17:33:58 (permalink)
    quote:

...I am hesitant to post though because I have seen where a person posts something and other members jump all over that person ie call them a troll, be rude to them etc.

In my brief stay I saw this many times. I'm sure that the inhospitable behavior of the older members has driven many people away.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 17:39:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bob in Cary

quote:

...I am hesitant to post though because I have seen where a person posts something and other members jump all over that person ie call them a troll, be rude to them etc.

In my brief stay I saw this many times. I'm sure that the inhospitable behavior of the older members has driven many people away.

Usually, a ong time poster can spot a "troll" a mile away and I am thankful for this. It is not being inhospitable as you may think. It is getting rid of someone who is disrupting the foruns. The old time posters are a great group of people.
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 17:45:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

quote:

Usually, a ong time poster can spot a "troll" a mile away and I am thankful for this. It is not being inhospitable as you may think. It is getting rid of someone who is disrupting the foruns. The old time posters are a great group of people.

The old time posters are often too quick to call troll.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 18:31:46 (permalink)
    quote:

Interesting observation...............would you care to cite one incident of this having happened?
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 18:32:01 (permalink)
    I don't want to be 'deleted' - even though I don't post too often I know I'm able to if I so choose. I always visit this site whether I throw my 2 cents in or not.

mickie49
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 18:52:30 (permalink)
    I'm a "lurker" too, but.....I'm a loyal "lurker". I'm here almost daily, but if my not posting poses a problem, I suppose I could withdraw.....just let me know.
    Big Frank
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 18:55:37 (permalink)
    I agree with smturnmire. I had been reading and enjoying the Roadfood forums for several years before finally joining the ranks in February. I may not have much to add to the discussion but I certainly enjoy reading the thoughts of those who do. This is just a great website.
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 19:47:11 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Interesting observation...............would you care to cite one incident of this having happened?

I quit posting and reading here a year or so ago because of the unfriendly attitude many of the old members and admins have toward new members, so I don't have recent examples. If you will read back through the responses from people with low post counts, who were brave enough to voice their opinion in this thread, you will see that I'm not the only one with this opinion. If a restaurant treated new customers the way new members have been treated here, then it wouldn't last long. I doubt that anything will be changed, but I'll check back in in a year or two. Maybe I'll be surprised.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 20:27:56 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

I quit posting and reading here a year or so ago because of the unfriendly attitude many of the old members and admins have toward new members, so I don't have recent examples. If you will read back through the responses from people with low post counts, who were brave enough to voice their opinion in this thread, you will see that I'm not the only one with this opinion. If a restaurant treated new customers the way new members have been treated here, then it wouldn't last long. I doubt that anything will be changed, but I'll check back in in a year or two. Maybe I'll be surprised.

This is the most unwelcoming board I have ever been on.

Cakes

tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Time 2 clean up the membership rolls? 2007/06/12 20:28:45 (permalink)
    I guess I was not even motivated to join the site until I read a request for dining info for my hometown. I think I had "lurked" around here for a year before that. Since then, I post sporadically, but always check the site. Interesting contributions abound from all kinds of folks, and it is nice to sense the genuine warmth that people seem to have for each other, and this is demonstrated in a particularly poignant manner when longterm contributors have gone through troubling experiences in their lives.

BTW, this is the first site that I ever contributed to, and I've felt that my comments were accepted. Even when people disagree, it seems to be done in respectful manner.

Then again, I have sworn not to participate in further off-topic political debates, or debates on Rachael Ray's contribution to the American food scene. Guess my emotions can get the best of me on these!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1