Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2006/11/28 16:20:41 (permalink)

Time Out New York

TONY's cover story this week is PIZZA. It covers things like:
1. The "best" pizza in NYC
2. The story on real "Rays' Pizza" (ALL 22 OF THEM!)
3. The next day cold pizza challenge.

I haven't read it yet, but this is an alert to all NYC pizza fans! (and all 22 original famous Rays)

10 Replies Related Threads

FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/11/28 20:33:22 (permalink)
    This should be interesting- TONY's food writing is ok, we'll see who they say is the best pizza in nyc (could it be something besides difara?)- we should receive ours in the mail tomorrow, i'll report back. original ray's = whatever... frankbooth
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/11/29 16:09:35 (permalink)
    Hot off the press (or just out of the oven) Check it out:

http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/583/features/the_upper_crust.xml

"Topping the charts: You can find primo pie all over, but these are the ten tastiest ’zas in town."
    http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/583/features/topping_the_charts.xml

RAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:
    http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/583/features/the_ray_s_parade.xml

What up, home slices?/ "Oddballs:"
    http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/583/features/what_up_home_slices.xml

The Rules of Pizza Judging:
    http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/583/features/how_to_slice_it.xml
    World pieces

Think globally but eat locally with these riffs on pizza—and other pies:
    http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/583/features/world_pieces.xml

Accounting for taste:Readers revealed their habits in our pizza poll
    http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/583/features/accounting_for_taste.xml

The "history" of pizza:
    http://www.timeoutny.com/newyork/Details.do?page=1&xyurl=xyl://TONYWebArticles1/583/features/a_piece_of_history.xml

And so on....

Tasty articles!

Comments?
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/11/29 17:03:20 (permalink)
    they got Difara right! it's just downhill from there anywayzzz... rayzzz whatever... enjoy frankbooth

p.s. the veal parm, the soups (whatever he has that day), and the fiore di zucha (squash/zuchini blossoms when in season) at Difara are all superb- the veal parm is so crisp and burnt and snarky-yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. and dominic is the master no doubt- we tried to convince him once to have a throwdown with Flo from Sally's in New Haven and bring his cheese concept mastery to sally's ovens! he was actually interested (he'd never tried his pies in a brick oven, no less a 100 year old coal fired oven!) but i doubt we'll ever do it- dominic is too busy making the best pies in the city!

p.p.s. for those who are interested, Dominic DImarco (Mr. Difara) once told me the difference between the sauces on his regular and square pies- the regular pies have uncooked san marzano tomatoes for the sauce and the squares have a cooked sauce (which he said he puts a tiny bit of prisciutto for taste). and i do believe he only uses the mozzarella di buffala on the square pies (though the regular pies do indeed have regular sliced mozz, grand pidana, fiorre de late, and parmiggiano reggiano- 4 out of the 5)! long live Difara! king of all ny zza's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/12/01 11:03:17 (permalink)
    We must have caught DiFara on a bad day in July. Even though the ingredients were first rate, the crust was totally soggy from major excess of olive oil. A crisp crust would have made the pie amoung the "best in the 5 boroughs" as clippings on the wall declare.

The most interesting part of the visit was the 1 man show in preparing all of the orders. It is amazing that he still does all of this by himself after more than 40 years in business.

And 1 1/2 hours on a July day in a non air conditioned Brooklyn hole in the wall next to pizza ovens gets mighty hot. Winter time is a much better time to go to DiFara, and make sure you have plenty of time since you can always expect to wait at least an hour to place your order and get served.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/12/01 11:17:44 (permalink)
    NYNM - I'd share a pizza with you anytime.
    Thanks for the links - informative and entertaining.
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/12/01 11:22:21 (permalink)
    Hillbilly - real New Yorkers aren't in town in July. The restaurants are only cooking for tourists, and whadda dey know?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/12/01 17:25:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

NYNM - I'd share a pizza with you anytime.
    Thanks for the links - informative and entertaining.

OK! Meet me at High Noon, in front of Ray's!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1587
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/12/01 17:57:55 (permalink)
    <<Hot off the press (or just out of the oven) Check it out:>>

Damn, that's 3 bucks shot to hell, I bought the mag on the way home today. I thought they only posted past material on thier website.

Anyway, not to get caught in the crossfire, but I've been to DiFara's twice, and maybe I hit it on an off day too. Good, bordering on great, but not #1, IMHO. BTW, if you're driving, it's much easier to park there on Saturdays than any other day, most of the area businesses observe the Sabbath and are closed.

For what it's worth, my current best NYC Pizza is Lazzara's, and I'm kind of pissed that it made the list. It's not as well known, and usually not too crowded at dinner time....until the article that is.
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/12/01 18:04:49 (permalink)
    so here's my gripe with tony. if your located north of 23rd st. it's like your in another state. in all the pizza articles in that issue they mention one place on the upper west side and it's a crappy ray's. there is life north of 23rd st.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Time Out New York 2006/12/01 18:36:15 (permalink)
    WOW, that is a lot of pizza reporting. In my opinion, the list is flawed, because you can't compare brick oven to Neoploitan to Sicilian to bakery pizza. Yes, they're all "pizza", but they're different food items (again, just an opinion). For example, that stuff from Sullivan Street bakery is delicious beyond description, but in MY book, it ain't representative in any way of New York pizza. AND, there's only one Neopolitan pizza in the top 10, but that type of slice joint outnumber the other kind by about 100 to 1 in NY.

I also must agree with Pmrkr2, I think they went out of their way to represent all 5 boroughs, but in the process they ignored some seriously wonderful pizza parlors in Manhattan. I guess it's just the magazine trying to stay hip, and these days, Manhattan ain't hip (unless you're a centi-millionaire).

For the record, my favorite NY Pizza:
    NEOPOLITAN
    Adriatica on 19th and 1st
    Luigi on 88th and 1st
    New Pizza Town on Broadway and 78th
    BRICK OVEN
    Patsy's on 116th and 1st
    Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge
    Lombardi's on Spring
    FANCY PIZZA
    Otto on 8th Street
    Sullivan Street Bakery on Sullivan