Time Square, NYC

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
elltea
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/02 21:47:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndyNYC1

quote:
Originally posted by DaveM

whats evryone's opinion of Virgil's BBQ?

The food at Virgil's is not awful, but it's a giant noisy barn of a place. You're better off at Tennesee Mountain on Spring Street or (if you want to spend a little more) Blue Smoke on 28th Street. I know, I know, it's impossible to find great BBQ in NYC, but Blue Smoke and Tennesee Mountain do an admirable job.

Oh, it's not ENTIRELY impossible! Impossible for someone staying in Times Square with limited time and no grasp of Queens geography, but the new Pearson's location in Jackson Heights has INCREDIBLE Texas-worthy brisket. And the best coleslaw I have ever had at a BBQ place. However, there are so many other wonderful things to eat in NYC that making the venture out to Pearson's is probably something best left to New Yorkers.
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/03 15:50:54 (permalink)
As far as delis go, the Roxy is RIGHT IN Times Square, has wonderful HUGE portions, and consistently GREAT service.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/03 18:44:34 (permalink)
So, did this trip take place yet, Barb Pick?
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/24 10:47:11 (permalink)
How far is Katz's Deli from midtown Manhattan (W. 52nd & Broadway) and how would a family of four tourists best get there and back (cab, subway, etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Chumley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 182
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/24 11:20:46 (permalink)
Katz's is located at the corner of Houston (pronounced "HOW-stun") and Ludlow streets on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

To give you some perspective, your hotel is roughly in the middle of the island on the west side; Katz's is closer to the bottom of the island, on the east side.

You have two practical choices. You could take the subway, the "F" train, or you could take a cab. To take the subway, catch the "F" at Rockefeller Center (50th Street & 6th Ave) (towards Brooklyn) and get off at the "Second Avenue" stop in lower Manhattan. You'd have to walk a couple of blocks over to Ludlow.

At $2.00 a piece for the subway, you might as well just load the family into a cab and enjoy the ride. That's what I'd do!

Enjoy!
i95
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/24 12:06:34 (permalink)
Gracias, Chumley! Just out of curiosity, any idea how long of a cab ride and how much it might cost?

Signed,

A Serious Out-of-Towner
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/24 13:17:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

Gracias, Chumley! Just out of curiosity, any idea how long of a cab ride and how much it might cost?

Signed,

A Serious Out-of-Towner

Since Chumley hasn't had a chance to answer, let me take a shot at it.

The simple answer is, "it's hard to say." That's because traffic and time-of-day are such factors. Generally speaking, though, figure it'll cost about $12-$14 or so, and take around 20 minutes.
i95
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/24 14:12:55 (permalink)
Thanks!
NY VA Honey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/30 16:21:32 (permalink)
I see that the Katz' vs. Carnegie Deli war is still going strong. I must vote...I've eaten at both and although Katz' does have nice tender pastrami, it is cut TOO THICK and that takes away from it, in my opinion. And Katz' has too much going on...crowds all around the deli cases, and no signs of order to the lines...I have to go with Carnegie Deli. The sandwiches are HUGE, they give you the best service, you don't have to fight for a space at the counter and the place is so interesting to look at all the famous faces on the walls. The food--the egg creams--the pickles--the cole slaw...all are WONDERFUL. Forget about Katz'...and it's too far downtown. Go to Carnegie, you won't regret it!
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/30 17:46:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BarbPick

I would really like to have real New York Pizza, or is real NY pizza really a myth?

If you come to Staten Island, I'll take you to Denino's and show you that real NY pizza isn't a myth. But you'd better come soon because Ralph's Famous Italian Ices (across the street from Denino's) closes for the season on October 19, and it isn't a complete and nutritionally balanced meal unless you have Ralph's after Denino's.

From the local paper this week:
quote:

[url='http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1064843190146780.xml']Celebrating a slice of Island history[/url]

A street sign honors both a man and the Port Richmond legend he created

Those who knew him best say Carlo Denino, the late owner of Port Richmond's noted Denino's Pizzeria, wanted nothing more than his family, good food, a pinochle game and a winning racehorse.

But yesterday, on the spot where his cherished Staten Island eatery was born, a small army of people gathered to give him a slice of Staten Island itself.

Carlo Denino's Way, located on Hooker Place at Port Richmond Avenue, honors the late pizzarateur on the corner where his life's work stands.
The establishment started as a pool hall in 1937, but when Denino took it over in 1951, he turned it into a pizzeria with an open-door, open-arms attitude that still exists today.

The first-rate pizza aside, Denino's is the kind of place that people say holds fond memories for families, mostly because Denino made everyone feel at home, but never wanted anything in return.
The phrase "he was like a father to me" was uttered often, and followed by retellings of vivid memories, such as Denino's penchant for picking wild mushrooms from the side of the road, or of the time he brought a laundry basket full of vegetables to a friend's office, or the endearing way he called everyone Grace or Smith because he couldn't remember their names.

"If you were a horse, he'd know your name," Palma Denino joked. (Fittingly, only 10 minutes into the party relatives were asking after a card game.)

The atmosphere Denino created in his restaurant has been kept up by his children and grandchildren, who now run the establishment.

Rose Zancocchio, Denino's sister, is known by all who frequent Denino's as "Aunt Rose." At a spry 84 years old, she still plays hostess, a job she calls "the best therapy in the world."

She won't divulge the secret ingredient of the family's success ("If I tell, it won't be a secret!" she said), but Denino's son Michael had a word or two about it.

"We have a lot of pride in this place," he said. "It's hard to live together and work together as a family, but we have a lot of love between each other."

Sounds like Mr. Denino got his way.

Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/30 17:57:05 (permalink)
I've been to Denino's a couple of times, and like it. But, in Staten Island I prefer Nunzio's. I also think I've been too spoiled by the Lemon Ice King of Corona, because Ralph's didn't excite me. BUT...on the other hand, a Denino's/Ralph's combo is still a very good thing.
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/30 18:19:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

I've been to Denino's a couple of times, and like it. But, in Staten Island I prefer Nunzio's. I also think I've been too spoiled by the Lemon Ice King of Corona, because Ralph's didn't excite me. BUT...on the other hand, a Denino's/Ralph's combo is still a very good thing.

I have a very unsophisticated and undeveloped palate so I'd never attempt to do the better/best/bestest sort of thing, so all that I can say is that, compared to the mediocrity that I'm used to and that is the norm, both Denino's and Ralph's (original location, don't know nothin' about the franchises) are exemplary.

I like Nunzio's too, although I've heard it ain't so great since they renovated the place (but people always say that when places renovate or change in any way, no?) I dunno, but certainly the joint has lost its tumbledown shack charm.

Rumors say that Lee's Tavern is the best pizza is the best on SI, but I've never tried it. Also I've heard of other pizzerias on SI that are supposed to be good or "the best." The only one that comes to mind immediately is Joe and Pats.

I'm absolutely looking forward to trying the Lemon Ice King of Corona. Gotta start exploring again.
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/02 11:56:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BarbPick

I have not had a chow mein sandwich since I was a kid visiting the area and went to the world's fair, I voted for the first time for McGovern, now guess how long ago all this was

The NY World's Fair must've been 1964-65, correct? My dad loved it, so we drove over there from NJ at least ten times in the two years it was open
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/02 15:39:24 (permalink)
quote:
The NY World's Fair must've been 1964-65, correct? My dad loved it, so we drove over there from NJ at least ten times in the two years it was open

Yes, the NY World's Fair was 1964-65, although McGovern for president was around 1972 (?) I was about 5 at the time of the fair and it was a magical experience for me.

If you want a hit of nostalgia, check out this amazing web site:

http://www.nywf64.com/

hilldweller
Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/02 16:47:16 (permalink)
To relate the 1964-65 Fair back to roadfood:

All images are Copyright © 2000, 2001 Michael M. Kraus -- nywf64photos.com
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/02 22:38:11 (permalink)
In June 1964 i took my 8th grade homeroom students to the World's Fair. When we got there I turned the kids over to the parent/chaperones and prepared for a great day on my own. But one shy little girl, grabbed my hand and would not let go - her Mom had told her to stick by her teacher so I was stuck with her for the day. She turned out to be a great little trouper willing to go anyplace I wanted. I must have bought her a dozen cokes and lot of rides and hot dogs that day, but I also dragged her into the Japanese pavillion where I had my first taste of sushi and sake and very good beer, and into the Danish pavillion for akavit, beer, and delicious tiny little North Sea shrimp. Also took her to the Morrocan pavillion for a lunch of cous cous only to discover a belly dancer in full exotic action. That kid , besides being a trouper also proved to be discreet - I never heard a word from anyone about what we did that day.
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/03 11:31:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hilldweller

To relate the 1964-65 Fair back to roadfood:

All images are Copyright © 2000, 2001 Michael M. Kraus -- nywf64photos.com

This has nothing to do with Roadfood but please indulge me as I dedicate my 100th post to my dearly departed father. The hook here is that Dad worked for the company that made those futuristic streetlights that were all over the fairgrounds and one of which is seen on the left side of this photo. Dad spent more than a year of his life bending the sheet metal that made up the frames of these lights. Although I thought they were hideously ugly, he rightly took great pride in how well they were made.
Thanks, Dad for all of your hard work that gave me a much better life than you ever had.
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/03 12:17:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz
This has nothing to do with Roadfood but please indulge me as I dedicate my 100th post to my dearly departed father. The hook here is that Dad worked for the company that made those futuristic streetlights that were all over the fairgrounds and one of which is seen on the left side of this photo. Dad spent more than a year of his life bending the sheet metal that made up the frames of these lights. Although I thought they were hideously ugly, he rightly took great pride in how well they were made.
Thanks, Dad for all of your hard work that gave me a much better life than you ever had.

Check this out:
[url='http://www.onlinesalem.com/FairLights/index.html']1964-1965 NY World's Fair Lights as installed at Canobie Lake Park in Salem, New Hampshire.[/url]

Also these:

[url='http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000005.html']Pics of WF Lights from Orange County Fair[/url]

[url='http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000084.html']Most Fair lights in a single photo[/url]

[url='http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ExpoMuseum/lst?.dir=/64-65+NYWF+street+lamps+in+Oklahoma+City&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/']64-65 NYWF street lamps in Oklahoma City [/url]

I found this particularly interesting. It's a discussion of whether or not there was any logic to the colors and shapes of the various light designs. Someone even tried to "decode" the cubes.

[url='http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000141.html']The cubes are LIT! [/url]
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/03 12:35:26 (permalink)
Hilldweller:

Thank you. It was extremely kind of you to post those close-ups of the World's Fair streetlights. They brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/04 18:34:43 (permalink)
Howard, I don't remember those lights specifically, but that is AMAZING that your Dad was involved in creating them! I was only nine at the time, but the World's Fair was a magical place. How I wish I could board a time machine & go back there for another visit! I still have some souvenirs from the fair. Wish I'd kept more of them! To this day, every time I'm at Disneyworld, I love going on the Carousel of Progress. It's a real deja vu experience...
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/04 18:53:50 (permalink)
Good NY pizza is not a myth. I agree with almost all the posts. I just want to add one more.

Bleeker Street. Pizza and all kinds of other foods. John's west of Ave Of Americas (Sixth Ave to New Yorkers). Just off Bleeker is Golden Pizza and another good pizza two doors away.

East of Sixth is Pizza Box which is also good.

Take a walk from Fifth Ave. to Seventh Ave. on Bleeker and look at all of the great restaurants, many have been there since the Depression.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/04 18:57:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

How far is Katz's Deli from midtown Manhattan (W. 52nd & Broadway) and how would a family of four tourists best get there and back (cab, subway, etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Since you are going to Katz's you might as well go a block up Houston Street to get a Knish. The Knishes are not the best, but they are pretty good.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/04 19:02:59 (permalink)
Off Topic: World's Fair.

I was also five years old, but that is the first place that I ever remember seeing touch-tone (TM) phones. The dial payphones were not there, they were all touch-tone.
i95
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/13 07:53:09 (permalink)
OK, a fray on this original Times Square thread:

What are the restaurants for dinner to takes
kids in the Times Square area of NYC
??

I've got three elementary school age kids (yes, God help me) and am looking for an affordable but memorable dining experience next month. Skipping the ESPN Zones, Hard Rock Cafe and various chains, are there places y'all would recommend ??

Someone suggested the Starlight Diner I believe @ W. 52nd & Broadway for singing wait staff, etc. Such would normally just about kill me but I'm looking for something for the kids, suggestions ?? Thanks!
i95
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/15 11:11:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

OK, a fray on this original Times Square thread:

What are the restaurants for dinner to takes
kids in the Times Square area of NYC
??

I've got three elementary school age kids (yes, God help me) and am looking for an affordable but memorable dining experience next month. Skipping the ESPN Zones, Hard Rock Cafe and various chains, are there places y'all would recommend ??

Someone suggested the Starlight Diner I believe @ W. 52nd & Broadway for singing wait staff, etc. Such would normally just about kill me but I'm looking for something for the kids, suggestions ?? Thanks!

Should I read the lack of response regarding the above inquiry as that all of you are smart enough to NOT take your kids with you when getting away to NYC ?
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/15 11:32:24 (permalink)
On my end, it's a matter of my belief that eating in Times Square is generally something to be avoided, except for a few higher-end, adult-appropriate places.

OK, here goes: Consider trying Ellen's Stardust Diner, on Broadway and either 50th or 51st. That's fun for kids.
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/15 15:08:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95
Should I read the lack of response regarding the above inquiry as that all of you are smart enough to NOT take your kids with you when getting away to NYC ?

Try posting your question here and you'll probably get some useful advice:
[url='http://www.chowhound.com/boards/manhat/manhat.html']Chowhound's Manhattan Message Board[/url]
i95
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/15 16:29:45 (permalink)
Excellent suggestions. I'll try both. Thanks, friends !!
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/16 13:28:23 (permalink)
quote:

[url='http://www.chowhound.com/boards/manhat/manhat.html']Chowhound's Manhattan Message Board[/url]

Forgot to mention:

And also if you search the existing messages for "times square" and also perhaps "children" or "kids" or "starlight diner" you'll likely find tons of info.

Of course, there's always [url='http://www.mars2112.com']Mars 2112[/url] which kids supposedly love and which adults apparently universally revile.
i95
RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/10/16 13:37:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hilldweller

quote:

Forgot to mention:

And also if you search the existing messages for "times square" and also perhaps "children" or "kids" or "starlight diner" you'll likely find tons of info.

Of course, there's always [url='http://www.mars2112.com']Mars 2112[/url] which kids supposedly love and which adults apparently universally revile.

Thanks, Hilldweller. Ironically, someone on Chowhound DID suggest Mars 2112 as an option. However, there website, alone, is disturbing. Who knows, maybe we'll still check it out. God knows that after my eight-year-old son sees this galactic eatery there'll be no turning back. Heaven help us !!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1