Time Square, NYC

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
BarbPick
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
2003/07/27 17:30:37 (permalink)

Time Square, NYC

We are visiting NYC for 2 days. Staying near Broadway and Time Square. The only place I have been told is a must go, is the Carnagie Deli......can anyone suggest other places? I would really like to have real New York Pizza, or is real NY pizza really a myth?

64 Replies Related Threads

garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/27 18:12:47 (permalink)
    try the Herald Square deli, very good and close. Also, try any Chinese restaurant in the area, most are very good and if it's Greek you want , go to Malfeta's cafeteria(just ask any policeman)
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/27 21:52:49 (permalink)
    There are so many places to recommend, just within a few blocks of where you are staying. Here are a few suggestions.

Most New Yorkers will disagree about who makes the best NY Pizza. My personal favorite is Lombardi's in Little Italy. In your neighborhood, I would recommend John's, which is on 44th and 8th Ave.

New York is a wonderful mosiac of cultures and if you want to eat like a real New Yorker, you should experiment with some of these places. All of them are excellent and near Times Square. Your concierge or local friends can help you with exact locations or you can log on to Zagat.com.

I second the recommendation for Carnegie Deli -- it's a great NY experience
    Chinese - Mee Noodle Shop - 52nd & 9th
    Thai - Pongsri - 48th (B'way & 8th)
    Hamburgers - Island Burgers and Shakes 9th Ave & 51st
    Brazilian - Cabana Carioca - 123 W. 45 (bet 6th & 7th)
    Afghan - Afghan Kebab House - 9th Ave. & 51st
    Mexican - La Cocina - 8th Ave & 47th
    Italian/Pasta - Becco - 46th (bet 8th & 9th)

Hopefully, this is enough to keep you out of Olive Garden and T.G.I. Fridays!

Have fun and eat well!
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/27 22:47:02 (permalink)
    My first piece of advice, as a Manhattanite, would be to get the heck out of Times Square as often as possible. Assuming that won't be the case, though...I think you've already gotten some pretty good recommendations. I would add McHale's at 46th and 8th for a burger, Rachel's at 43rd and 9th for a good, slightly higher-end American restaurant, Manganaro's at 37th and 9th for a good hero (or sub, if you prefer), Baldoria at 48th and 8th for decent Italian, and the Landmark Tavern at 46th and 11th for a cozy pub atmosphere.

Have fun!

PS: I'm typing this without benefit of a restaurant guide. I believe my locations are fairly accurate, but you might want to double-check.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7839
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/28 07:38:07 (permalink)
    Rays Famous (the one and only original) 6th avenue @ 11th Street
    foodguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/28 09:47:51 (permalink)
    There seems to be a lot of Originial famous ray's.
    Lombardis is great and johns in the village is good. Those are far from times square but theres not too much to eat there(unles u like touristy restaurants.)

[|)][|)][|)][|)]
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/28 10:22:32 (permalink)
    All of the above are fine recommendations but I would also suggest a stroll along 9th Avenue from the mid 30's to the mid 50's. This approximately 1 mile walk will give you a true feel for what an international food city NY really is. Phil J and Chumley have already listed some very good possible stops, but the exploration (and maybe finding a hidden gem of your own) is the true reward.
    Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/28 11:41:47 (permalink)
    I second many of the nominations, especially becco. For whatever reason, it's become my celebration restaurant. They serve a great seafood & vegetable anitpasto and all you can eat of three pastas for about $22, which is a bargain for Manhattan. Also, they have a list of dozens of wines for $20/bottle, all of which are quite good. And the breadsticks are fabulous. That an Olive Garden has remained in business mere blocks from this site is testament to why we need roadfood.com. P.S. like many 46th street restaurants, they get very busy pre-theater, so make a reservation or go after 8. It's good for larger groups, too.

For breakfast, I heartily recommend the Renaissance Diner on 9th at about 52nd. They do the basics well, bring a big mug of coffee and a tall glass of water, and even have a garden/skylight space in the back that's wonderful on a sunny day. My particular favorite is the eggs florentine with well done french fries. Good stuff. That said, the Cafe Edison (Edison Hotel 47th between 8th and Broadway, discussed in RF 2d ed. and Eat Your Way) is an experience not to be missed. The Matzoh Brei is first-rate, but be sure to ask for marmalade to spread on it.

If you want a snack, on Broadway near 50th there are a couple of belgian-fry joints. They're great even without the flavored mayo.

Ninth Avenue is terrific. In addition to the previous comments, I would point out that there is a real Mexican restaurant on the west side of Ninth at about 37th street that is so authentic that it has actual goat and tongue, but if you're only here for two days, it's probably not worth the time. (Is this an example of how easily New Yorkers are impressed by competent Mexican food?)

One other point: there are, in my not-so-humble estimation, two real New York Pizzas. One is the thin-crust, fresh-mozzarella variety, of which John's is a fine example. Real New York by-the-slice, fold-it-in-half-lengthwise, pizza has no finer practioner than the previoulsy mentioned Famous Ray's on 11th street and 6th Avenue (that's Avenue of the Americas, but call it 6th, trust me). ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS!!!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/28 15:52:50 (permalink)
    Not a real roadfood place or price, but for a great steak try "Frankie & Johnny's" steakhouse upstairs at 269 West 45th street. Absolutely the best in Manhattan, and will give Peter Luger's a contest for the best in New York.
    jackier
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/31 09:13:43 (permalink)
    If you are willing to spend $20.02 for a prix fixe, 3 course lunch, go straight to Molyvos, across from the Park Central and steps from the Carnegie, where it will cost you almost that for a corned beef sandwich and a drink. Molyvos is high end Greek, in a splendid dining room, very NY-ish. They start you off w/ a great spred and amazing flat bread. Their sauces, roasted meats, wood-grilled fish, pastitsio (Is THAT Roadfood?) and stuffed vine leaves are wonderful. They do a housemade yogurt w/ drizzled honet, crushed nuts, and fresh raspberries on the dessert. The service is perfect. This is not your Greek Diner; it's highly civilized. The food has really deep flavors. In NYC, Molyvos is a STEAL!

If you go to opentable.com, you can see which restaurants are still offering the $20.03 prix fixe lunches.

I think the John's on Bleeker is the best, and there's wonderful gelato just a few steps away.
    jackier
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/07/31 09:19:48 (permalink)
    Oh, yes. This will sound crazy and un-Roadfoodish, but I LOVE the breakfast at Petrossian's little retail shop, one block away from the Carnegie and across the street. There are about 6 tables up a few steps in the back of the shop. They have an $8 or so breakfast that's pure NY, and the best croissants and financiers in NY. Coffee drinkers love their coffee. You CAN go over the top and have their club sandwich with sable, or something with their silken smoked salmon, if you can spare the money, but their continental -type breakfast is just perfect. This little gem is an oasis!
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/03 16:44:59 (permalink)
    If stuck in Times Square, The Edison Cafe inside the Edison Hotel on 47th(?) aka The Polish Tea Room. Neil Simon's favorite place. Good soups. Good atmosphere.
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/03 20:04:35 (permalink)
    Probably not in the Roadfood category price-wise anyway (As if any food joint in Midtown Manhattan is!) but we like the Stage Deli on 8th Ave, 1 or two blocks south of Carnagie Deli as well as Rosie O'Grady's, another block or two south of the Stage Deli on 8th Ave.

Wally
    greymatter
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/09 04:02:26 (permalink)
    For NY Pizza, I would definitely suggest either:

Uptown: Totonno's on Second Ave and 80th St. Very good thin crust, tasty sauce.

Downtown: John's Pizzeria on Bleeker is still a classic, very crisp crust, sometimes "overdone" but, personally it tastes better that way.

Also, Patsy's is nice and has a good atmosphere, there are a few dotted around town: One of note, on 60th St near 3rd Ave. Also one in University Place.

Steer clear of Ray's in-"famous". As the saying goes, if you have to say you're famous, you're probably not.
    schoon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/09 19:29:37 (permalink)
    AndyNYC1 is right on target -- avoid Carnegie Deli: it is overrated and over-priced. Ray's Famous Pizza is awesome!
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/10 17:17:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndyNYC1
    Italian (lunch): Manganero's Hero Boy. Best "sangweech" in the city. The veal parmigianna is to die for.

Even better is the original Manganero's next door -- it's also cheaper and friendlier.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/14 01:53:52 (permalink)
    Our last trip to NYC, stayed at the Pennsylvania.
    Had a great meal at Carnegie Deli.
    Agree with everyone's opinions of Katz' Deli-just as good or even better.
    Peter Luger was fabulous, even ran into 5 Boston Bruins players that night.
    What is evryone's opinion of Virgil's BBQ?
    Also found most of the "theme" places useless (WWE Zone, ESPN Zone,etc.-more for drinks and entertainment than food).
    DaveM
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/14 08:35:06 (permalink)
    Concur with Stage Deli but for pizza, try Teatro Pizza (see: http://pizzatherapy.com/easta.htm) right off Broadway in the heart of Times Square on 44th Street. Not much room to sit but EXCELLENT pizza including a scrumptious pesto or chicken parmiggian (sp?). Don't forget H&H bagels, too!! [;)
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/14 09:39:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
    Originally posted by AndyNYC1
    Italian (lunch): Manganero's Hero Boy. Best "sangweech" in the city. The veal parmigianna is to die for.

Even better is the original Manganero's next door -- it's also cheaper and friendlier.

I believe that the original Manganaro's -- which I used to frequent -- is either closed or closing soon. Can anyone either correct me or update us?

Lots of good advice in this thread, by the way. I should have mentioned the Edison before. One of my favorite places. Great matzoh ball soup, and great blintzes.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/14 15:03:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.
    I believe that the original Manganaro's -- which I used to frequent -- is either closed or closing soon. Can anyone either correct me or update us?

It was still open as of two weeks ago, because that's when we ate there. It was a bit disturbing that we were the only customers in the place, though...
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7839
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/14 15:27:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

It was still open as of two weeks ago, because that's when we ate there. It was a bit disturbing that we were the only customers in the place, though...

That's because everyone else was at ESPN Zone, Applebees in Times Square, The Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood Etc Etc
    chilidawgguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/14 15:43:39 (permalink)
    What's a trip to Times Square without a Nathan's Famous and an Orange Julius? My bid for the best deli is the 2nd Avenue (2nd Avenue at 10th Street). Their chopped liver is about as good as it gets.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/15 10:23:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chilidawgguy

What's a trip to Times Square without a Nathan's Famous and an Orange Julius? My bid for the best deli is the 2nd Avenue (2nd Avenue at 10th Street). Their chopped liver is about as good as it gets.

I couldn't agree with you more -- on both points! The irony here is that you can't find Nathan's or Orange Julius in Times Square any more. I guess they're not "Disney" enough.
    chilidawgguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/15 12:06:35 (permalink)
    No Nathan's or OJ in Times square? Geeze...I gotta get uptown more. Course, that's an excuse to take the train out to Coney Island to the original Nathan's (please don't tell me it's closed too.)I remember standing in line with two feet of snow on the ground to buy a dog in Febuary. Even though they are now available in grocery stores (I have part of a package in the fridge), nothing beats the taste of one at this unique roadfood stand.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/15 20:14:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chilidawgguy

No Nathan's or OJ in Times square? Geeze...I gotta get uptown more. Course, that's an excuse to take the train out to Coney Island to the original Nathan's (please don't tell me it's closed too.)I remember standing in line with two feet of snow on the ground to buy a dog in Febuary. Even though they are now available in grocery stores (I have part of a package in the fridge), nothing beats the taste of one at this unique roadfood stand.

You can still go to Nathan's in Coney Island. In fact, I think it's hands-down still the best place to go to experience a Nathan's Hot Dog or some Nathan's fries. Orange Julius' are a little harder to come by. You still see them occasionally, usually in suburban malls. I know there's one in the gargantuan mall in King of Prussia, PA. They still taste pretty good, too.
    Richie37
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/15 23:51:59 (permalink)
    Of course the original Nathans in Coney Island is the only Nathans one should go to. But not just for the hot dogs. You have to have the chow mein sandwich. That's right - chow mein on a hamburger bun! I once flew all night from Italy to NYC, arrived at JFK, and drove straight to Coney Island for a chow mein sandwich.
    BarbPick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/27 23:59:50 (permalink)
    I have not had a chow mein sandwich since I was a kid visiting the area and went to the world's fair, I voted for the first time for McGovern, now guess how long ago all this was
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2308
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/28 00:48:43 (permalink)
    I don't know whether it ever re-opened after the fire, but I loved the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/08/28 02:42:49 (permalink)
    Yes, the Oyster Bar is back and better than ever.
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Time Square, NYC 2003/09/02 20:49:26 (permalink)
    Don't forget Grey's Papaya for a great hot dog and papaya drink and it's cheap! Go to Cupcake Cafe on 9th for delicious doughnuts, cakes and breakfast or lunch. Some of the restaurants on Restaurant Row near the Theater District are okay and moderately priced, especidally Danny's for seafood and Thai dishes. Enjoy.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1