Helpful ReplyTime for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions

Author
dfed913
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2014/06/29 12:27:05 (permalink)

Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions

Hey everyone!
Been lurking for awhile now and have finally decided to jump in with my first post!  Hopefully, I am posting in correct place.

Okay.  So we are just getting our "ducks in a row" with our new "venture".  We secured our name and are currently in the middle of getting licensing/permits/commissary <---headache, etc.

Here are the issues I am hoping to get some insight on:  Being born and raised in the Jersey/NYC area, I was REALLY wanting to introduce Sabrett's to the midwest however, the person that Sabrett put me in contact with out of Florida - pretty plainly said he couldn't help me (Let's leave it at that). <---Dream Crusher.

So now I am left to decide on a more accessible dog.  In this area, Nathan's are the most readily supplied at Sam's and Restaurant Depot - even Wal-Mart.  Are they good?  Absolutely but not what I wanted.  I was really hoping for the SNAP of the Sabrett at the very least and don't think the natural casing ones are accessible without ordering direct.

QUESTION:  Having said that, which Nathan's does everyone here recommend for best quality and holding time (I will be simmering and then possibly moving to steam pan to hold) Note:  Cart is equipped with a propane grill.

Next Question:  Buns.  Who was have thought THIS would be so complicated :)  Best method?  Thinking of steamed but research shows this is kind of "tricky".  ANY thoughts appreciated.  I do know out of the bag is NOT acceptable.  Also, any brand recommendations? Or any to stay clear of?

And finally:  Our Health Dept (Kansas City) is supposedly one of the more strict ones as far as what can and can't be served.  So far it READS as though they want EVERYTHING in either individual packets or those big dispensers. <---Again, Not what I was envisioning.

NOTE:   We are calling the inspector again this week for more VERBAL clarification and interpretation of the rules.

My concern is Chili - from what I've read, a loophole is to serve vegetarian and the chopped onions. 
I'm hoping they allow these two items....if not,  I feel like we would be handing a customer a hot dog in a bun and saying "Here, Serve Yourself"  :) <---Just feels wrong.  (maybe it's  not).

Trying to nail down our menu and without these answers, I am at a frustrating stand still!

Sorry so long winded but again, this is my first post....I will try to be less "wordy" next time around! LOL

Looking forward to any and all responses if any of you made it THIS far in my post and many more future interactions as we begin our journey!!!

Thanks!!!

dfed913
"Getcha' Dogs, LLC" 

kennyb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/29 17:47:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
they also have Vienna and Chicago red dogs at the depot. the best hd bun in kc is at Costco. the roma hd bun is very good also but doesn't last long.  let me know when your up and going and where your at and i'll come by for a dog. kenny
post edited by kennyb - 2014/06/29 17:48:18
dfed913
Junior Burger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/29 18:21:34 (permalink)
Thanks, kennyb...I didn't see Vienna dogs when I went this time - I'll have to look more carefully next time there. I've never tried one and must say, I am intrigued with all I've read.

Funny you mention Roma hd buns...I just recently tried those and thoughts were the same. I will look at Costco first chance for other recommendation. Thanks!!

Do you have a cart/truck set up somewhere? Would also love to pay you a visit some time!!!

-dfed913

kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/29 18:40:00 (permalink)
the Vienna and Chicago are in the freezer. when you go left along the freezer doors, they are bout the sixth door down. we do festivals on the weekends. we have 2 trailers and 2 lemonade stands. this week we are at corporate woods for the 4th and the Berkley river front park for the 4th. Saturday and Sunday we will be in the west bottoms for first Friday weekends. next week is a biker rally in Missouri.
dfed913
Junior Burger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/29 20:52:14 (permalink)
Yep. Like I thought...I walked right past them! :) But then again, at the time, I was zoned in on finding Nathan's.

Sounds like you stay quite busy! That's fantastic! We still have quite a bit of prep and research to do before we make our first "go" of it but it is coming along.

Will definitely try to stop by on one of the weekends you are out!

Oh and hey...Business name to look for? Is it KennyB's?

-dfed913
Getcha' Dogs, LLC
kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/29 21:45:23 (permalink)
no, it's K & C concessions. white trailers, red letter signage on them and a lemonade/limeade cart next to them.  
dfed913
Junior Burger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/29 22:41:15 (permalink)
Good deal. We will look for you.

Btw, checked out your setup...very nice!

Hopefully, we will work ourselves up to that in time...for now...baby steps!

Thanks again for input...MUCH appreciated!

Good luck with your upcoming events!

Chat soon!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10257
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/29 23:44:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Kings Hawaiian makes a split top bun that's great. More expensive but worth the better taste and durability. Find local distributor so you don't need to pay retail. 
dfed913
Junior Burger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/30 13:33:52 (permalink)
Thanks, foodbme!

Will add it to the "must find and try" list!

Appreciate the suggestion!
BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/30 22:47:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
vienna beef also has buns and Italian beef too

kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/06/30 23:20:33 (permalink)
didn't know that about kings hawaian. will have to look for them. the depot does have the poppy seeded ones.
dfed913
Junior Burger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/07/01 00:29:31 (permalink)
I actually did notice the poppy seed buns at RD. (Probably pretty close to where the dogs were that I missed!)

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the poppy seed buns used more with a "specialty" type dog like the Chicago? Typically not used for a standard dog? If I had to guess they are more expensive too, right? (Sorry...haven't looked into buns as much as dogs yet)

dfed913
Junior Burger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/07/01 00:52:37 (permalink)
I just found the "bun board" here...LOL and researched the HK buns. Wow. Nice looking buns for sure! I can see how they would be more expensive. However; I am a firm believer in putting out quality products especially when it comes to the main event. For lack of better words.

If necessary, You can cut costs in less noticeable places in order to offer a great hot dog experience.

Question: How do they hold up to steaming? Or is there a more preferred method for this brand?

kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/07/01 13:48:44 (permalink)
I didn't ask what size dawgs. if you are using 1/4 pound dogs and sausages, roma has a very good brat bun that works well with that size.
dfed913
Junior Burger
Re:Time for Plan B - New Pushcart Questions 2014/07/01 20:04:50 (permalink)
Kenny...I do plan to use the 1/4 lb as a jumbo sale. Thank you for confirming my thoughts about THAT bun! I have purchased the Roma brat bun for personal consumption and they ARE pretty good.

Btw, I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge and tips!

Hopefully, this will all come together soon and we can make a go of it!
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1