Hot!Tipping Under Self Serve Situations

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18864
Re:Tipping Under Self Serve Situations 2014/02/27 17:50:39 (permalink)
TTM -- As I understand it from my daughter restaurants now report to the IRS as tip money a percentage of every server and bartender's check, regardless of whether the server/bartender got stiffed. I forget the percentage they report.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
Re:Tipping Under Self Serve Situations 2014/02/27 20:41:38 (permalink)
I could see that at chain restaurants with computerized systems, but not necessarily at the corner diner. I am not naive enough to think that there are more than a few reasons why some businesses operate on a cash-only basis.  I am also sure that most servers pay the amount that they owe the government for their earnings. I also know that there are others who advocate leaving a cash tip so that the server can determine how much they choose to claim, despite the fact that the full amount should be considered taxable income.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3607
Re:Tipping Under Self Serve Situations 2014/02/27 22:55:18 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

TTM -- As I understand it from my daughter restaurants now report to the IRS as tip money a percentage of every server and bartender's check, regardless of whether the server/bartender got stiffed. I forget the percentage they report.

I believe it's 8% of sales, regardless of what tips are actually received. Employees are required to report all their tips to their employer, who then figures taxes and other withholding (social security, unemployment, etc.) on the adjusted amount including tips.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2511
Re:Tipping Under Self Serve Situations 2014/02/28 09:59:52 (permalink)
I'll tip for a smile, a kind word from the heart, from a person that just loves life and does their job. Not everyone is living in the berbs, most people in life work for a hourly wage. It doesn't matter to me, if someone takes good care of my family, I take care of them. I tipped $1.75 at Subway yesterday, Mollie wanted a turkey sub ( she's still young, give her time) the people taking the order were friendly, kind and went out of their way to make her sandwich Just the way she wanted it. They even gave her oil and vin in small cups so the sandwich wasn't soggy when we got home. I've been at other places, when asking for a something special, I'm made to feel like I just threw a wrench in the spokes......I respect their job and what they do. I just what a fair share of kindness and service.................pnwc
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re:Tipping Under Self Serve Situations 2014/02/28 10:03:18 (permalink)
starfire62 i always tip in cash as 1 time i tipped and someone changed a $6.00 to $16.00 on a $20 charge at a airport restaurant and i didn't look as i was trying to hurry to my gate .

When tipping in cash and paying by card, on the "tip" section of the receipt, ALWAYS write "CASH".

Bart
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re:Tipping Under Self Serve Situations 2014/02/28 10:06:07 (permalink)
pnwchef I tipped $1.75 at Subway yesterday, Mollie wanted a turkey sub ( she's still young, give her time) the people taking the order were friendly, kind and went out of their way to make her sandwich Just the way she wanted it. They even gave her oil and vin in small cups so the sandwich wasn't soggy when we got home.

At one time, at a place I was going into twice a week, Subway's $5 footlongs were the most cost effective reasonably healthy choice, so I always ate at one. I got into the habit of, whenever there was a new server, tipping them a buck. The owner appreciated this.

Bart
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 245
Re:Tipping Under Self Serve Situations 2014/02/28 13:19:57 (permalink)
thats for the tip bart thats what i'll do if i tip and use my credit card.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3607
Re:Tipping Under Self Serve Situations 2014/02/28 15:28:26 (permalink)
Of course, that only works if you really are tipping in cash. If you were planning to put the tip on your credit card, you'll have to write a number there. And unfortunately it's very easy to do something like adding a "1" so $6.00 becomes $16.00, especially in an airport bar where they know you're leaving and won't likely be back. An extra ten bucks for most people who can afford to get something in an airport bar isn't worth the hassle...but if they can do that even to one customer an hour, they're pulling down some darn fine money in a day.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1