Tipping

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2398
Re:Tipping 2011/11/30 18:36:14 (permalink)
chewingthefat

PNWCHEF

I think you can over look poor service if you get great food, you can never over look poor food for Great service. That being said the food has to be good, not always great, but good. I agree with Chewy, I always go back to the places that treat my family and myself good. I like when the Manager/owner remember who I am, also when the wait staff care if I live or die. I guess what I like is service from the heart, not just for a tip.
Now to answer the question, why would I want to tip on the Tax, the state didn't do anything to get me my meal faster, they just made my meal cost more...................pnwc

Nope PNWCHEF, it's exactly the opposite, IMHO as Tastebuds, mine, take a hike when the service is terrible, I get so pissed, knowing it doesn't have to be that way, that nothing tastes good and usually isn't as the server lets the food get cold or is so careless as to make me want to leave the place. If I ever saw one of my servers show anything except GREAT, friendly service, they would be fired on the spot!

Nope Chewy, my way I still get a good meal, your way you only have good service and bad food. I'm not out to retrain the staff, I just want to eat..........pnwc
Phottoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
Re:Tipping 2011/12/01 09:42:54 (permalink)
Since there are only two of us, we normally go out to Golden Corral for Thanksgiving.  This year we really received GREAT service from an overly hard pressed server.  Sure, she only has to deliver coffee and clear the table between trips to the food bar, but there were some tables around us that were very demanding.  They wanted the server to bring extra silverware, demanded coffee and water refills, extra napkins, just anything to make her life miserable.  The meal was $30 for the two of us, but leaving her a $6 just didn't seem "right."  I put $5 on the table as we were leaving, then walked up to the server and passed her a ten dollar bill, and thanked her for both the service and the fact that she had to work on Thanksgiving.  If she hadn't been there, the meal wouldn't have been "so great."  I also noticed that two tables close to us only left a couple of dollars for four people at each table.

Cheapskates !!!

Photto
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
Re:Tipping 2011/12/03 15:53:33 (permalink)
All 4 of my kids have been servers at some time.  I know that even in the best restaurants, the servers can sometime either get no tip at all or a very stingy one.
So, unless the server is surly or lazy, I always tip at least 20%, many times more than 20%.  I never deduct from the tip if I am unhappy with the food. 
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
Re:Tipping 2011/12/03 16:22:02 (permalink)
My brother got a $500 tip as a bus boy in a restaurant across from the Indy 500 from J.C. Agajanian, the car owner of the winning car driven by Parnelli Jones in 1963.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Tipping 2011/12/03 17:16:20 (permalink)
Kerry Packard, the richest guy in Australia, once tipped the folks waiting on him at his Blackjack table, $3,000,000. This was at Ceasers Palace in Vegas, he had won over $20,000,000 in a relatively short time. He paid off his drink girls $300,000+ Mortgage! Management was gagging, I read! God love the high roller!

PS. PNWCHEF, nope!
post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/12/03 17:17:22
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5077
Re:Tipping 2011/12/04 00:21:48 (permalink)
Mrs. SC and I went out for lunch today and the pre-tax bill was $50 on the nose (this restaurant prices by the dollar, not by .49, .95, or .99).  Made figuring the tip pretty easy.

(Not that I'm any kind of big spender...we had a gift certificate that needed to be used.)
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2011/12/04 00:24:12
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Tipping 2011/12/04 03:22:33 (permalink)

CNW

.............. Also please remember that at least 20% of the tip you leave is shared with the busboy and bartender. ..............

My daughter would have liked working with you. She once had a part time job in a fairly high end place where she bussed, washed dishes, and often did the service bar (no direct tips). She was often stiffed by the servers, because she was paid a full minimum wage, and because she was "paying her dues" to get a server job. She never did get the server job and quit, for a better job. Everyone said, on her last day, as she walked out, "What are we going to do without you?"

Busboys and Bartenders getting stiffed by Servers is happening less and less these days. Back in the early 2000's the IRS audited several high end restaurants in Washington D.C. and New York City. Owners, Managers and Servers were found guilty of underreporting tips. In many cases they weren't even reporting the tips that they received off of credit cards. Some substantial fines were assessed and a couple of people went to jail as I remember.

Shortly after this happened many restaurants upgraded their POS systems to keep this from being able to be done. The new systems run a report for each server as they clock out. It breaks down their evenings sales into alcohol and food categories; and it tells them how much they received in tips on credit cards. The server must at that point declare their total tip income for the evening minus their tip out to the bar and the busser. The tip out is now non-negotiable and you will be let go if you refuse to. At several restaurants that I know of, extra copies of the report are printed and sealed in an envelope with the tip out money for the bar and busser separately. The server must tip out 10% of total tips to the bar and 10% to the busser. The system will not let the server clock out without manager approval if they attempt to declare less then 10% of their sales as tips. Restaurant owners and managers are taking no chances on running afoul of the IRS these days and you better have a good explaination before the manager will okay a final tip report of less then 10%
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Tipping 2011/12/04 03:26:01 (permalink)
Sorry, first time using quote function. The first paragraph is quoting tmiles
GotBaddog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:Tipping 2011/12/04 19:04:26 (permalink)
It really depends what state I am in and what their tax rate is. I am not tipping on a 10% tax.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
Re:Tipping 2011/12/06 13:58:53 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

(Not that I'm any kind of big spender...we had a gift certificate that needed to be used.)

Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Tipping 2011/12/08 15:43:49 (permalink)
20% of the total bill and always in cash rounded up along with all pocket change. If we are with a lot of people I tell the waitress or waiter that it will be 1 check and if the service is good so will the tip. Never be cheap at your local watering hole or family owned restaurant.  Even if I use plastic the tip will be in cash. Pay the Barber in cash as well. If I am in a Bar I always tip huge in the beginning if its busy then you never have to wait. Make eye contact and the Bartender will hook you up no matter how busy it is. If the waitress is happy and good looking she might get more. I am a sucker for a smile, pretty eyes and nice legs......Russ
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2011/12/08 15:45:51
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:Tipping 2011/12/09 13:19:30 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

20% of the total bill and always in cash rounded up along with all pocket change. If we are with a lot of people I tell the waitress or waiter that it will be 1 check and if the service is good so will the tip. Never be cheap at your local watering hole or family owned restaurant.  Even if I use plastic the tip will be in cash. Pay the Barber in cash as well. If I am in a Bar I always tip huge in the beginning if its busy then you never have to wait. Make eye contact and the Bartender will hook you up no matter how busy it is. If the waitress is happy and good looking she might get more. I am a sucker for a smile, pretty eyes and nice legs......Russ

Yes I tend to tip in cash most of the time, when I don't tip in all cash I almost always throw in at least 5 in cash on top of the tip I leave on the card.  

I never tip less than 10 bucks these days even if the total is under 10, that used to be 5 but I am accounting for inflation now. I learned these habits from when I was in grad school and most of my friends  worked in bars and restaurants. I was too broke to take proper care of them back then but I still remember how hard they worked.

I have also been known to be a sucker for happy waitresses who take good care of me , but I try to take care of all my servers regardless.

And I tip on the whole bill incl tax and  including any items that may have been taken off the check (rare ,but it happens especially at a new place)

If I ordered big expensive bottles of wine I might wonder about tipping percentage on those, but since I almost never do so I don't worry.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 660
Re:Tipping 2011/12/12 09:50:07 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

You and I are cut from the same cloth Russ
Some years ago I was at an engagement party where everyone had tickets for free beer/wine.  I had a sawbuck in my hand and ordered a beer.  When the bartender gave me the beer, I flipped over the $10 to show him the ticket and gave him both.  For the rest of night, when the great unwashed was trying to get their drinks, I never had to wait for mine. Money indeed talks.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4531
Re:Tipping 2011/12/12 10:01:44 (permalink)
Russ Jackson
If the waitress is happy and good looking she might get more. I am a sucker for a smile, pretty eyes and nice legs......Russ 

Russ Jackson, I always factor in cleavage......properly presented of course
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1