Tipping

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jrs155
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2011/11/26 22:36:48 (permalink)

Tipping

I was wondering what people think is the right way to tip.  Sometimes I do pre-tax and sometimes post.  Is there a proper way?

43 Replies Related Threads

ChrisOC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/27 06:51:31 (permalink)
    I usually base the tip on the pre tax total.  I don't know if that is proper it's just what I do.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/27 12:41:17 (permalink)
    I tip on the gross amount including tax and before deduction for coupons and such. But the tip is adjusted according to the quality of service. Sometimes it hard to know if poor service is the fault of the server, the kitchen, or the management, so in that case I hate to make the server suffer for someone else's failures and leave a decent tip anyhow.

Cheers, John 
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6413
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/27 14:46:13 (permalink)
    seafarer john

I tip on the gross amount including tax and before deduction for coupons and such. But the tip is adjusted according to the quality of service. Sometimes it hard to know if poor service is the fault of the server, the kitchen, or the management, so in that case I hate to make the server suffer for someone else's failures and leave a decent tip anyhow.

Cheers, John 

ditto

I tip 20% if service is satisfactory.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/28 00:16:05 (permalink)
    15%, pre-tax
    CNW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/28 03:59:24 (permalink)
    I have spent the last thirty years as a tipped employee working a second job. Tips should be based on a pretaxed and pre-discounted total. Please keep in mind that the minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 an hour with a guarantee that they will not make less then the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour with their tips. Also please remember that at least 20% of the tip you leave is shared with the busboy and bartender.

As far as the percentage that you should tip here are some general guidelines;

1. If you are ordering carryout a tip of 10% is considered normal. Please keep in mind that a server had to take time away from their tables to take, check, and assemble your order.

2. If you are dining at a restaurant where the server busses their own tables and alcohol is not served then a tip on 15% is considered normal as the server is not sharing tips.

3. If you are at a restaurant where there is a separate busboy and alcohol is served then a tip of 20% is considered normal as the server will be tipping out the busboy and the bartender.

4. If you are ordering pizza for delivery a $3.00 tip over and above any delivery charge is considered normal when delivering a couple of pizzas. On large deliveries to parties and businesses 15 to 20 percent is normal. If you are ordering in bad weather where the roads are dangerous to drive an additional 10% is normal. The delivery charge that some stores charge is split several ways. The driver tends to get around a dollar of it as reimbursement for the use of their vehicle and the rest the store keeps to cover the liability of the store should a driver get into an accident.

5. You should never leave a tip of less then $2.00. If you sit down and just order a cup of coffee you are getting the same amount of attention a customer that ordered a full meal.

Many of you may have learned the 10% rule. Unfortunately the price that you pay at restaurants has not kept up with inflation. Therefore, where a professional server could make a decent living ($35,000 per year in 2010) on 10% average tips thirty years ago., they need about 18% average tips today. The amounts that I have talked about are based upon discussions that I have had over the years with fellow servers and delivery drivers. The amount of the tip you leave should be based solely upon the service that you received from the server. If there is a problem with the food, please bring it to the servers attention so that it can be remedied. Your server will address the issue by having it remade, discounted off the bill by manager, and/or offering a free dessert.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/28 11:16:45 (permalink)
    I've read elsewhere where some folks seem to get worked up about tipping on a pre vs. post tax total.  On a roadfood tab for two of say $40, in PA the tax would be $2.40.  The difference in a 20% tip would be all of 48 cents so does it really matter?  I just tip on the total (it's usually the number at the bottom sometimes circled and sometimes with a smiley face next to it) and round up to the next dollar. 
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/28 17:25:40 (permalink)
    worms in can, now open.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6531
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/28 17:32:36 (permalink)
    I usually tip in the 20 - 25% gross bill range.

If the service is really good I will increase it, if the service is bad I will decrease it.  If the restaurant shares tips with the bar and busser I look to see if the busser is doing their job well if not I will tip the server and busser seperately and accordingly.

Once on a bar bill, I gave a BIG tip to the bartender and server because we kept them BUSY.  I will never forget that night in Niagra Falls (or at least the stories from that night )

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3619
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/28 17:49:45 (permalink)
    Scorereader

worms in can, now open.

Exactly. The question wasn't whether or not to tip, or what percentage to tip, but whether to base the tip on pre- or post-tax total.

I usually look at the bottom line and base my tip from there. Tax is fairly often included in the price of an item around here, so it's not always a separate line item on the bill. Which means I'm tipping on the post-tax amount most of the time anyway.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2033
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/28 18:07:21 (permalink)
    CNW

.............. Also please remember that at least 20% of the tip you leave is shared with the busboy and bartender. ..............

My daughter would have liked working with you. She once had a part time job in a fairly high end place where she bussed, washed dishes, and often did the service bar (no direct tips). She was often stiffed by the servers, because she was paid a full minimum wage, and because she was "paying her dues" to get a server job. She never did get the server job and quit, for a better job. Everyone said, on her last day, as she walked out, "What are we going to do without you?"
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2033
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/28 18:11:20 (permalink)
    I have been tipping at 20% or a little less. I don't eat at high end places, but service has been great. I can't say that it is the economy, because I still get plenty of crappy service at other , non restaurant places. Maybe restaurants have just done a better job training.
    fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 02:05:13 (permalink)
    I tip 20% on the total after tax.  I just look for the big bold numbers at the bottom and take it from there.  In my area of NJ/NYC I am used to bad service at about 75% of the places I go to.  So I don't feel bad if I skimp a couple dollars here and there.  I don't tip on takeout and when I get delivery it all depends on how fast I get it.  If I am told my food will arrive in 45 minutes and an hour later it shows up, I'm sorry, but the delivery guy is getting a smaller tip.  
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 07:15:43 (permalink)
    Scorereader

worms in can, now open.

I tip 13.45% if I have to open the can and 17.98% if they open the can for me.  2% less if they use an electric can opener.  Pre-tax of course.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5216
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 08:56:43 (permalink)
    I tip pre-tax.  Why should I pay the server for being a revenue generator for the state?

Brad
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 09:15:31 (permalink)
    RC51Mike

Scorereader

worms in can, now open.

I tip 13.45% if I have to open the can and 17.98% if they open the can for me.  2% less if they use an electric can opener.  Pre-tax of course.

nice. LOL.
    I actually came back to re-write, because I failed to type what the mind was thinking
    what I meant was...

can open, worms everywhere.

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 13:58:20 (permalink)
    Our tax is almost 10%.  I just double it and round up or down depending on service.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 700
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 15:08:16 (permalink)
    "I don't tip. I don't believe in it."  -  Mr. Pink

Usually 20% with a round up to the next dollar.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 17:34:55 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

I tip pre-tax.  Why should I pay the server for being a revenue generator for the state?

Brad

Isn't that a little bit nitpicky? The state doesn't get a bigger cut of your bill if you tip more. I calculate the tip mentally and the most convenient way. That is easiest just looking at the bottom line, move the decimal point (i.e. 10%) and double it rounded up BTW to even dollars. Wait staff in most restaurants are at the bottom of the economic ladder and generally work hard. They earn every penny.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 17:49:08 (permalink)
    As an owner, seeing so many very generous people, at the same time knowing a few are creeps when it comes to tipping their waitstaff, knowing how hard they work, I usually tip 30%after tax. If the service was horrible, and I do mean horrible, I will stiff them, with a note on the credit card receipt, which the manager will see, explaining the no tip reason...tough love!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 21:57:53 (permalink)
    So what percentage of you tip cows or have tipped cows before?
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 22:45:35 (permalink)
    I have never tipped a cow, but once I did Tip O'Neill!
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1512
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 23:14:07 (permalink)
    I know what most would say but I was thinking about a local place that doesn't do a very good dinner business, in fact a few nights when I have driven by there was only 1 or 2 cars in the lot. Recently they did a big promotion offering a full rack of ribs for $11.99 (normally $18) and the place was packed. Judging by the full parking lot I would say the server made much more in tips even if everyone based their tip on the lower amount. Wonder which scenario the server would prefer?
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/29 23:32:57 (permalink)
    6star

I have never tipped a cow, but once I did Tip O'Neill!

TMI
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/30 09:20:48 (permalink)
    Davydd

ScreamingChicken

Brad

Isn't that a little bit nitpicky? The state doesn't get a bigger cut of your bill if you tip more.

It doesn't, but I prefer to tip the server based on the product and service I received and the tax I'm charged doesn't count as either.  My standard rate is 20% or more plus a round-up and in many cases this meets 20% of the post-tax total anyway.

Brad
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/30 10:46:11 (permalink)
    Brad and Chewy,

I noticed you both lumped in product and service. I guess I only tip in regard to service. You can't blame the wait staff for the product can you? My reaction to product is never to go back and my mistake for going there, but I like that idea of writing a note on the credit receipt for the owner/manager.

Last night we ate out and I tipped very, very generously. Also, the manager came around and asked about the service and I told him Amber was a great waitress. I didn't tell him she was my grand niece.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/30 11:32:17 (permalink)
    Davydd

I guess I only tip in regard to service. You can't blame the wait staff for the product can you?

That's a good point.  My experience has been that the larger restaurants usually have kitchen and wait staffs that are definitely separate and discrete while in some smaller operations they can be a bit more blended, so the impact the server has on the food might vary.  I worded it poorly, though, by making it seem like product and service are on equal footing when it comes to the tip.

Brad
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/30 12:33:23 (permalink)
    Davydd

Brad and Chewy,

I noticed you both lumped in product and service. I guess I only tip in regard to service. You can't blame the wait staff for the product can you? My reaction to product is never to go back and my mistake for going there, but I like that idea of writing a note on the credit receipt for the owner/manager.

Last night we ate out and I tipped very, very generously. Also, the manager came around and asked about the service and I told him Amber was a great waitress. I didn't tell him she was my grand niece.

No, actually I didn't mention product, as the product is important, an inept, lazy waitperson can ruin a delicious meal or overcome a forgettable one. A national stat I once read said 48% of people go back to a restaurant because of the way they we're treated, 12% because of the food.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2524
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/30 13:29:22 (permalink)
    I think you can over look poor service if you get great food, you can never over look poor food for Great service. That being said the food has to be good, not always great, but good. I agree with Chewy, I always go back to the places that treat my family and myself good. I like when the Manager/owner remember who I am, also when the wait staff care if I live or die. I guess what I like is service from the heart, not just for a tip.
      Now to answer the question, why would I want to tip on the Tax, the state didn't do anything to get me my meal faster, they just made my meal cost more...................pnwc
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Tipping 2011/11/30 17:20:59 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

I think you can over look poor service if you get great food, you can never over look poor food for Great service. That being said the food has to be good, not always great, but good. I agree with Chewy, I always go back to the places that treat my family and myself good. I like when the Manager/owner remember who I am, also when the wait staff care if I live or die. I guess what I like is service from the heart, not just for a tip.
    Now to answer the question, why would I want to tip on the Tax, the state didn't do anything to get me my meal faster, they just made my meal cost more...................pnwc

Nope PNWCHEF, it's exactly the opposite, IMHO as Tastebuds, mine, take a hike when the service is terrible, I get so pissed, knowing it doesn't have to be that way, that nothing tastes good and usually isn't as the server lets the food get cold or is so careless as to make me want to leave the place. If I ever saw one of my servers show anything except GREAT, friendly service, they would be fired on the spot!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1