Tipping on Buffett's

Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
2006/04/11 01:15:10 (permalink)

Tipping on Buffett's

I know this has been discussed before, but I searched and could not find the thread.
I was watching Rachel Ray's $40/day show.
I noticed while she was in Hawaii, she did not tip -0-, on her breakfast buffett.
I wish I could have found the original thread.

Clarification:
This was a buffett where, the server comes to you and refills drinks, cleans the plate. Not the kind in hotels where you eat and run, and clean your own area.
She really is a cheapskate. She does send the wrong message out to people as far as her tipping goes.

5 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3763
    RE: Tipping on Buffett's 2006/04/11 01:51:38 (permalink)
    Rachel Ray is a hack. By sticking to the $40/day, she stiffs people who work hard for a living to provide good service. I remember hearing at a very young age that if you don't have the money to tip, you don't have the money to go out to dinner. Either she should go someplace cheaper, places that do not require a gratuity or call the show $40/day plus tip! Right now, it is not exactly the right message to send to diners on a budget.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3601
    RE: Tipping on Buffett's 2006/04/11 01:54:15 (permalink)
    This was the most recent buffet tipping discussion:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12049
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Tipping on Buffett's 2006/04/11 03:24:00 (permalink)
    I'm confused. In the hotels I've used that have breakfast buffets, they are complimentary. In some of them, you even bus your own table--deposit your tableware in some sort of a collecting bin as you leave. For what would you be tipping? And since you paid nothing, what would be the appropriate amount? Personally, I don't usually eat much at these affairs. Maybe a cup of coffee and roll or some fruit (I usually sleep fairly late and, when I'm travelling, I'm already looking forward to a good-sized lunch). At market rates it's worth maybe a couple of bucks. Assuming I wanted to tip, even $1 would seem kind of extravagant for the minimal service and I'm not sure where I would deposit the tip anyway (like I said, I often leave the table bare and there's no one circulating in the room to collect any money I leave on the otherwise bare table).

IMHO, this is really a different situation than the buffet-style restaurants discussed in the other thread where someone clears off your table, brings your beverage and generally facilitates your meal. As I said in the other thread, at those I usually tip 10% since I figure I'm getting about half the service I do at a regular restaurant (and the servers cover--and thus benefit from the tips of--a far larger number of tables).
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Tipping on Buffett's 2006/04/11 12:21:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by felix4067

This was the most recent buffet tipping discussion:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12049

Thats the one I was looking for. That is where I wanted to post this.
    Thanks, Felix.
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: Tipping on Buffett's 2006/04/11 13:13:19 (permalink)
    Oh, how horrible!

Do you guys honestly think that that is all Rachel Ray tips? Do you even think that she actually pays for a meal at any of these places? Get with it, it's television/entertainment. The low tips are just to keep it under $40.00 in order to meet the theme of the show.

My wife met Rachel Ray at the food show in Chicago last year. She had a good laugh with her about the "crappy" tipping. Her understanding is that the servers are well-taken care of, plus the restaurant gets a decent amount of free-advertising. Rachel (and probably some of the crew) get a free meal and they are able to film a show. It's a win-win-win situation, as opposed to a whine-whine-whine situation.

The show is about finding good, reasonably priced restaurants in different locales. If people aren't sensible enough to know how to tip, or if they are using Rachel Ray's tipping as the penultimate example from an entertainment food show, then they are idiots anyway.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1