Tipping on Take Out

Author
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
2006/03/13 02:23:05 (permalink)

Tipping on Take Out

Do you ?

I used to only when they would set me up with laying the check on a tip tray when I paid but after several different times getting home and something is seriously messed up, I thought why would I tip not knowing whether I received good service ?

16 Replies Related Threads

NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 09:24:13 (permalink)
    If all they do is package my food to go I don't tip as I don't really think it is any different than what someone in a FF restaurant does. Some places offer drive up service where they bring it out to me then I would give a small tip. Sometimes I might stop and have a beer or 2 while waiting for my food but then I'm really tipping the bartender which I would do anyways.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 09:28:45 (permalink)
    In my two years I can only remember being tipped one time on a take out order. I keep one of those need a penny, take a penny cups on top of the register and the lady said "thanks" as she stuffed her change and three dollars in it.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 10:07:24 (permalink)
    If I have to get out of my car, go in, pay, and leave, then I do not tip. A lot of the restaurants in my area, particularly the chains, are now bringing the food out to the car, and I do give them a small ($1-2) tip. Of course, I give a full tip when I dine inside a restaurant.

I get annoyed when I see tip jars at take-out places. Heck, I even see these at the food court in the mall!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 11:28:49 (permalink)
    If I have been going to the same place for awhile and know what to expect, I do tip some amount.

Dennis in Cary
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 14:35:41 (permalink)
    In my restaurant probably 15% of my customers tip on takeout.anywhere from $1.00 to 20% of the order,that usually happens when people use credit cards[20% that is].

Since it is one of our waitresses who takes your order,bags it,makes your change,I feel a tip is in order as this is how these people keep their lights on.Not 20%,something though,as this is taking time away from their seated customers.

P.S.If a customer calls and complains something is missing from their takeout,the Waitress is charged $5.00.Since I started this policy there hasn't been any calls.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 16:26:02 (permalink)
    I rarely tip on take out. Especially at take out places. (Ya know these places, where you walk in and there's bullet proog "glass", no tables, no chairs to sit, just some small holes in the bullet proof "glass" to speak through to give your order, a slit for your money and a bullet proof turn table to grab your food. Some of the best chinese food in DC is at these places. Not a crack at the quality of the chinese food, but most of these take out places are owned and operated by asians. So, the asian food tends to be pretty good actually, but I still don't tip)
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 17:21:06 (permalink)
    Bullet proof glass Scorereader? Do you pack heat when you go to these places?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 18:16:06 (permalink)
    Almost, but not quite, never. And I say that knowing full well that take-out places all over the Bay Area have tip jars next to their cash registers. But I consider a tip payment for a significant service. With takeout, the service is primarily from the cook, but if I tipped I doubt (s)he'd get any of it. Still, there are a very small number of places that I visit regularly; where they know me and welcome me when I show up. At those places only I sometimes tip (cash even when I pay for the food with a debit card)--not every visit necessarily but often enough to keep the welcome mat out.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/13 18:22:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by drsmoke02

In my restaurant probably 15% of my customers tip on takeout.anywhere from $1.00 to 20% of the order,that usually happens when people use credit cards[20% that is].

Since it is one of our waitresses who takes your order,bags it,makes your change,I feel a tip is in order as this is how these people keep their lights on.Not 20%,something though,as this is taking time away from their seated customers.

P.S.If a customer calls and complains something is missing from their takeout,the Waitress is charged $5.00.Since I started this policy there hasn't been any calls.

All I can say is, "You run a different sort of place." Most of the places I get take-out are small family-run Asian places and the person who bags the order is usually the person manning the register who is often the owner or at least the manager. I do not feel it necessary to tip these people.

On the other hand, as I said, when I do tip, whether I am eating at a table or getting take-out, and no matter how I am paying for the food, I ALWAYS tip in cash. I don't know or care how my servers deal with the IRS, but under the "Do unto others . . . ." philosophy, I want to give them every option I would want.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3502
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/14 00:36:32 (permalink)
    I'm actually trying to remember the last time I got take-out other than at a take-out only place...and the only one of those I frequent has two guys working there, who co-own the business. I don't tip them, and they don't expect anyone to do so.

The only thing I can think of is the few times I've gotten food to go from the bar I frequent...and yes, I tip my usual 20-25%.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/14 03:43:49 (permalink)
    felix, I know that you are tipping on your takeout at Z's! My colleague is in GRR this week and I told her to go there and to the BOB to find something to eat and a place to hang out. Don't know if she will follow my advice, but she usually says that I don't steer her wrong, so she might!
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/14 14:55:01 (permalink)
    I generally do not tip for take out. The only take out we get is burgers, fried fish and Chinese.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/14 15:48:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy

nah, it may sound weird, but most take out places, where it's only take out, are designed like this. Even in some decent neighborhoods.

They usually stay open way late, so I'm gathering the set up is good for that. And yes, some of the neighborhoods aren't the best, but many are gentrifying and the take out places still keep the same bullet proof set up.

Most people call their order ahead, and you just walk in and pick it up so that you're in the joint for maybe 2 minutes at the most.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/14 16:44:27 (permalink)
    Sometimes, but often not. If the server checks & verifies the order in front of me, I tip and make sure they know that's why. If I have to check it myself before leaving, no tip.

Tom
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/14 18:08:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy

nah, it may sound weird, but most take out places, where it's only take out, are designed like this. Even in some decent neighborhoods.

They usually stay open way late, so I'm gathering the set up is good for that. And yes, some of the neighborhoods aren't the best, but many are gentrifying and the take out places still keep the same bullet proof set up.

Most people call their order ahead, and you just walk in and pick it up so that you're in the joint for maybe 2 minutes at the most.

This is making me nostalgic for my days growing up in and around Washington, DC; the days when I got all 4 hubcaps stolen off my Dad's car when I foolishly stopped for a red light in Southeast.

Seriously, I have never encountered this phenomenon in San Francisco except at a few gas stations. Maybe it's just because there are almost no "take-out only" places and at other places you generally go inside to the bar or counter where the cash register is to order or pick-up take-out.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3502
    RE: Tipping on Take Out 2006/03/15 03:25:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

felix, I know that you are tipping on your takeout at Z's! My colleague is in GRR this week and I told her to go there and to the BOB to find something to eat and a place to hang out. Don't know if she will follow my advice, but she usually says that I don't steer her wrong, so she might!

I'll be there every night this week other than Wednesday, if she stops in. Tell her to look for the redhead with the limp.

Also, warn her to stay away from the specials...not nearly enough food for the price this week.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1