Tiramisu

Author
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
2004/05/02 16:39:53 (permalink)

Tiramisu

Anyone else have a "taste" for this marvelous dessert cake?! I haven't had it very often; in fact, I only "discovered" it recently. There's a coffee shop in No. Va. (Rappahannock Coffee shop, in Arlington) that sells it by the slice; I don't know where they get it from but it is so delicious--it melts in your mouth! I've had slices of the cake from other bakeries but so far none can even come close to what I get at Rappahannock. Does anyone have either a good recipe for Tiramisu or (even better for my own laziness ...) perhaps a bakery source in the DC Metro area? :) The latter would indeed be -greatly- appreciated, let me assure you!

thanks in advance,

tarragon
(yes yes, it is my favorite spice.

20 Replies Related Threads

hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/02 16:51:54 (permalink)
    Tarragon... I'm not a dessert fan by any stretch, but I love Tiramisu. If it's on the dessert menu it's almost predestined that I'm going to have a piece. If you're ever in Baltimore, stop by Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop in Little Italy. When I go down to Little Italy for dinner I like to go to Vaccaro's and get four or five pieces and have it at home.
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/02 22:28:15 (permalink)
    Oooh, thanks for the recommendation on the Tiramisu, hungovergourmet! I'm on track for doing a bit of exploring in Baltimore, with Little Itally definitely on the agenda so will be making a stop at Vaccaro's. Weren't they recommended for something else too? A filled wafer cookie maybe? OMG, it's probably a good thing for me that they're in Baltimore and not Hyattsville. Or I'd be there every weekend!

thanks again--I think it's mostly the marscapone cream (is that what that is?) in the tiramisu that makes it for me, btw.

-tarragon
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/03 08:49:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tarragon

thanks again--I think it's mostly the marscapone cream (is that what that is?) in the tiramisu that makes it for me, btw.

For me it's the coffee flavor and the creaminess... I'm just not a big cake or cookie guy.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/03 09:01:12 (permalink)
    I never really saw the attraction here. I always though it was an extreme waste of talent on the part of the pastry chef.

I have had supposedly great tiramisu and really bad tiramisu, just did not do it for me. There is a plethora of truly awful tiamisu out there. Be warned.

I second Vaccaro's as a good pastry shop.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/03 09:38:35 (permalink)
    The tiramisu I had in Italy was nothing like the layered concoction they make here in the states. I believe the Italian-American version does have mascarpone in it. The tiramisu I had in Italy was just two lady fingers dunked in espresso (they were almost black with it), topped with zabaglione (custard sauce with marsala), and topped with a shake of cocoa powder. That's it...simple and pure and delicious. I would love to find a place in the states that served it like that!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/03 11:48:43 (permalink)
    See now that is something that I would enjoy. I knew that the American way was typically overblown.

i actually had it that way in Belgium at an italian place and you're right, i would like to find a place that served it like that too.
    progoddess
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/03 21:35:19 (permalink)
    Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop is pretty good and supplies most of the area places with dessert, so just about anywhere in Baltimore's Little Italy you can find it.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/04 00:38:42 (permalink)
    According to Vaccaro's website ( http://www.vaccarospastry.com/locations.jsp ) they have an outlet at the Metro Market at Union Station in D.C. Their phone number is (202) 371-2855. So you shouldn't even have to go to Baltimore for it!
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/04 11:23:39 (permalink)
    I sense a stop at the Union Station market this coming weekend ... . I wouldn't mind trying tiramisu the "old-country" way.

Thanks for the help and tips, folks! I knew I could depend upon fellow roadfooders to come through for me here. Thanks again!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/04 12:06:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

The tiramisu I had in Italy was nothing like the layered concoction they make here in the states. I believe the Italian-American version does have mascarpone in it. The tiramisu I had in Italy was just two lady fingers dunked in espresso (they were almost black with it), topped with zabaglione (custard sauce with marsala), and topped with a shake of cocoa powder. That's it...simple and pure and delicious. I would love to find a place in the states that served it like that!

Now THAT sounds like a dessert my italian grandparents would eat!! Most of the tiramiso i have seen----none of which was ever in an italian home by the way---never seemed very italian to me----almost english or vienese---most of the dessert i remember eating in homes were more like a peice of fruit and cookies---lots of cookies---pizelles and biscutti and those wonderful little frued batter things you do in deep fry with a dipper---and fritters filled with anything from figs to "Baccala".

so Meowart---if you do find this place that serve it---let us know!!!

BTW---my wife who is austrian---Vienese actually---LOVES tiramisu--no matter how badly done it is-----but then i was once told by her family that Vienese cooking is food that you dont have grow up to appreciate!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/04 12:24:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

See now that is something that I would enjoy. I knew that the American way was typically overblown.

i actually had it that way in Belgium at an italian place and you're right, i would like to find a place that served it like that too.

What is it about Belgium? I've traveled extensively throughout Italy, I have family there! Some of the best pizza, pasta, tiramisu and other delights I've ever had were in.....Belgium!!!!
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/04 12:41:35 (permalink)
    Here's a classic recipe from my stash. What's nice is that you can do it in a bowl or in individual glasses, which is what I prefer:

Ingredients

EGG YOLKS, 3
    EGG WHITES, 1 or 2
    SUGAR, superfine (castor), 3 tablespoons
    VIN SANTO, or MARSALA, or BRANDY, 1-1/3 cups
    ESPRESSO COFFEE, strong, 1/4 cup
    MASCARPONE CHEESE, 8 ounces
    CREAM, 1/2 cup
    SAVOIARDI (LADY FINGERS), 4 ounces
    Directions

Make a zabaglione by beating the egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler until ivory colored.
    Add 1/3 cup liquor and whisk over gently simmering water until the mixture begins to thicken. Let it cool.
    Stir the coffee into the Mascarpone.
    Whip the cream to soft peaks.
    Beat the egg white(s) until stiff. Fold the egg white(s) into the zabaglione.
    Dip the lady fingers into the remaining liquor and line the bottom of a 9-inch bowl or individual containers (wine glasses work well).
    Cover them with half the Mascarpone, then half the zabaglione, then half the whipped cream.
    Repeat the layers, finishing with the cream.
    Refrigerate for several hours before serving
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/04 13:03:24 (permalink)
    I'm not a fan of tiramisu. I think it's too goopy and weird. Maybe I just had "bad" tiramisu the one time I did.

I prefer a good old fashioned New York style cheesecake - with strawberries!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/05 07:34:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

What is it about Belgium? I've traveled extensively throughout Italy, I have family there! Some of the best pizza, pasta, tiramisu and other delights I've ever had were in.....Belgium!!!!

My brother in law said the same for Vienna---awesome Itialian food---he claims its because most Europeans are smart enough to hire Italian cooks!
    Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/05 08:31:10 (permalink)
    Thank you grampy for the recipe. I have never made it that way. But will try it today. Rex in Hot Smoky expensive San Diego!
    lisajocole
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/05 10:15:47 (permalink)
    Kristi -

If you want to try an EXCELLENT tiramisu - go to your friendly neighborhood Publix. It's in the bakery section where the pies and cheesecakes are located. It is to die for - not mushy at all. They are small, but if you cut it into four squares, it makes a perfect sized, elegant dessert with a hot cup o' joe.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/05 14:55:43 (permalink)
    I think belgium is just that kind of country where everything is great. Its obviously not just about Moules et frites over there.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/05/05 16:19:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lisajocole

Kristi -

If you want to try an EXCELLENT tiramisu - go to your friendly neighborhood Publix. It's in the bakery section where the pies and cheesecakes are located. It is to die for - not mushy at all. They are small, but if you cut it into four squares, it makes a perfect sized, elegant dessert with a hot cup o' joe.

Lisa, Will do. I spend all time in the 'Lix and I don't even work there.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2014
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/11/24 14:10:38 (permalink)
    The locally famous version made by Wright's in RI was selling like crazy when I was there this morning. Theirs is different in that it is made in a large sheet cake pan and sold in squares. The "ladyfinger" part is more like a layer of cake. They made a ton but it was almost gone by the time I worked my way to the front of the line by 830AM. That first line in the parking lot was just to get a number to go inside!!!! I never thought of tiramisu as Thanksgiving food. I went for the Boston Cream Pie.
    queenb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Tiramisu 2004/12/15 05:50:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lisajocole

Kristi -

I'll second this; I was really surprised when I picked one of these up last week expecting to be disappointed, but it looked so pretty, and I needed a dessert on short notice. It's as good as any restaurant dessert I've had !
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1