Hot!Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bon Bon Girl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2005/03/11 00:32:35 (permalink)

Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats?

Anyone ever tried toasted ravioli? I've heard that it became famous somewhere in Missouri. Didn't the used to have it at Jack in the Box?

45 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 01:10:49 (permalink)
    Toasted ravioli is a St. Louis specialty. It's cheese ravioli covered with a light breadcrumb coating, deep fried, and then served in a bowl covered with marinara sauce. It's tasty and different, but not one of the world's greatest discoveries.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 05:42:29 (permalink)
    Does sound rather interesting though
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 09:00:24 (permalink)
    Toasted ravioli from St. Louis was featured on "Food Finds" yesterday (3/10)on the Food Network so you should find some info on it on their website.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 14:00:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Toasted ravioli is a St. Louis specialty. It's cheese ravioli covered with a light breadcrumb coating, deep fried, and then served in a bowl covered with marinara sauce. It's tasty and different, but not one of the world's greatest discoveries.

Hmmm...a lot of pizza joints, as da folks in Brooklyn call them, serve the same thing but call them fried ravioli...which seems more accurate. It appears the only thing special about the St. Louis version is the name!
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 14:28:45 (permalink)
    I think the difference is the St. Louis version is served without a side dish of unmitigated attitude.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 14:37:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

I think the difference is the St. Louis version is served without a side dish of unmitigated attitude.

You mean the kind of attitude dripping from your comment?

My point was that it isn't much of a regional "specialty" if is served in a lot of places, sorry if that came across like a display of "unmitigated attitude".
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 14:39:46 (permalink)
    I first had fried/toasted ravioli in Hartford CT. I see it all over in italian joints. It is nothing special...
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 16:02:58 (permalink)
    I've had fried raviolli its generally made from left overs but sometimes as antapasta, peorogi's can also be fried after boiling, served with blu cheese dressing they make great snackers for the non calorie/colesterol worriers
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7685
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 16:58:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Hmmm...a lot of pizza joints, as da folks in Brooklyn call them, serve the same thing but call them fried ravioli...which seems more accurate. It appears the only thing special about the St. Louis version is the name!

Tony,

Being a native New Yorker who spent 27 years of my life on Long Island, three of which were spent in Brooklyn and Queens, I have to relent and say that St. Louis gets credit for this one. Toasted Ravioli like many other regional specialtis (ie buffalo wings) eventually made it's way to the rest of the country, including Brooklyn. Believe it or not St Louis has a signicantly sized Italian population. I've had Toasted Ravioli here on the East Coast and I have to say that St Louis does it best and it truly is a regional specialty indigenous to St Louis even though it's now all over
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 17:27:10 (permalink)
    quote:

Tony,

Being a native New Yorker who spent 27 years of my life on Long Island, three of which were spent in Brooklyn and Queens, I have to relent and say that St. Louis gets credit for this one. Toasted Ravioli like many other regional specialties (ie buffalo wings) eventually made it's way to the rest of the country, including Brooklyn. Believe it or not St Louis has a signicantly sized Italian population. I've had Toasted Ravioli here on the East Coast and I have to say that St Louis does it best and it truly is a regional specialty indigenous to St Louis even though it's now all over

I did not mean to steer the discussion to one of the history of toasted ravioli. As a kid I didn't know people ate ravioli with sauce, as my Sicilian grandmother (in NY) used to buy fresh ones from the local ravioli store and bread and fry them, along with some eggplant and serve them as part of the antipasto. I guess there are a lot of things that are traditional dishes, and grow in pockets around the country. Sometimes she would put powdered sugar on them and they would become a dessert treat, almost like a zeppoli. Yum.

As for Italians in St. Louis, Yogi Berra and Joe Garagiola often spoke about their Italian roots there.

I have to add that I find it annoying how many times comments like "unmitigated attitude" are tossed out when someone says something about NY. If I had said that I believed Minneapolis to be the home of the toasted ravioli, I doubt it would have prompted such a comment. Perhaps I am overly sensitive on that front.

Standing down now.
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/11 17:31:38 (permalink)
    Why is it called toasted ravioli? Sounds dry.

and I like my unmitigated attitude right on top not on the side
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 13:52:32 (permalink)
    If New Yorkers don't like snarky comments they should not start the trouble with their usual claming that they invented everything, and that everything is better in New York. The rest of the United States is very happy for you that you live in your "best of all possible worlds" (wait, that's Westphalia!) and urge you to stay right there amongst all your favorite foods and folks that share your attitude.

Tony, my comment was not directed at you personally. You're quite correct that it's unlikely that Minnesotans would claim that a St. Louis specialty was really from Minnesota. Actually, the vast overweaning majority of Americans are too polite to do something like that.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7685
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 14:10:41 (permalink)
    quote:

If New Yorkers don't like snarky comments they should not start the trouble with their usual claming that they invented everything, and that everything is better in New York. The rest of the United States is very happy for you that you live in your "best of all possible worlds" (wait, that's Westphalia!) and urge you to stay right there amongst all your favorite foods and folks that share your attitude.

Tony, my comment was not directed at you personally. You're quite correct that it's unlikely that Minnesotans would claim that a St. Louis specialty was really from Minnesota. Actually, the vast overweaning majority of Americans are too polite to do something like that.

Being from originally from NY, but being able to take a step back and observe, I personally know how egocentric New Yorker's can be.
    For example- quotes and comments throughout the years.

1- I remember when deep dish pizza became trendy in the early 80s on Long Island. Everyone claimed it was invented there.

2- Circa 1992- First Pizzeria Uno opens in Lynbrook NY- Toasted Ravioli was on the menu- I commented to one of my coworkers that its a St. Louis Specialty her comment was "Oh, I thought it was invented in Greenwich Village"

3- Circa 1992-Another comment from another coworker- "NY has the best Mexican restaurants" My response was , tell me which one, his response was "taco bell" he was serious too.

4- Circa 2001- A comment from the young Greek American waitress at a Greek Restaurant in Huntington NY after telling her that Detroit has a huge Greek Population "Really, there are Greek people in Michigan??!!!"

5- Circa 2000- Finally not necessarily food related, but it fits the egocentricy of many New Yorkers- After telling one of my best friends that I was moving to RI and that there was a huge Italian Population (both he and his wife who are both College Educated were surprised- " I thought Rhode Island would be more Kennedyesque"
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 15:04:23 (permalink)
    Tony, NY performs a public service by localizing and compressing the rest of the country's need for a bully to be our whipping boy. LA doesn't inspire much but indifference, everyone loves Chicago, (like my native KC, a great place to be FROM) and that's about it for megalopolises.
    http://www.rowlandweb.com/reuben/history.asp
    My favorite NY moment is still George Brett's Homerun into the 3rd deck of Yankee Stadium.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/25moments/22.html
    George Steinbrenner getting up and leaving in disgust. Priceless!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 20:43:34 (permalink)
    quote:

Being from originally from NY, but being able to take a step back and observe, I personally know how egocentric New Yorker's can be.
    For example- quotes and comments throughout the years.

I think your examples point more to an ignorance of culture and geography that is prevalent in our country (and in other countries) then "egocentric behavior". Is this brand of ignorance a problem in NY?...you bet it is!...but it is most certainly not a disease only found here. I could give you an equally long list of inaccurate generalizations or comments I have heard people make about NY as I have traveled. I met a guy, who was actually a well educated engineer who was convinced everyone in NY was Italian or Jewish (only he didn't say it quite so politely). I also met a guy pumping gas in Cawker City Kansas who was certain gun play in the streets was a regular occurrence in NY city. Then there was a couple in Moscow who were certain large portions of the US looked like a scene from Bonanza. It happens every where, I guess it is just more irksome to some when a NYer makes such comments.

I am genuinely sorry my comments came across in such an offensive and egocentric manner and I regret making a comment at all. I'll make more frequent use of the delete rather than send button in the future.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 20:54:15 (permalink)
    Tony, don't do that. I love your posts, and, as previously stated by me, your name.
    What did you think of the world's biggest ball of twine?
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 21:00:22 (permalink)
    quote:

You are proof positive that NY doesn't have the market cornered on "snarky comments". I am uncertain how my comments on toasted ravioli translated into the nasty set of generalizations you make above.

quote:

Read it again, that isn't what I wrote...and by the way...Are YOU an example of the politeness one encounters when traveling around America?
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 21:16:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Tony, don't do that. I love your posts, and, as previously stated by me, your name.
    What did you think of the world's biggest ball of twine?

In the world of large objects displayed in outdoor pavillions, the ball of twine was far more impressive than Plymouth Rock, but didn't excite me as much as the world's largest hand dug well down south a bit in Greensburg KS! They need to work on the marketing of that ball of string...I almost drove right past that ball of twine pavilion!

I was also in Darwin, MN once, and they too claim to have the largest ball of twine. Personally, I think the one in KS looked bigger.

As to your George Brett comment...I have been a Met fan since I was a child, so George Brett was my hero. Anyone who beats the Yankees is okay in my book. Heck, I even bought a Red Sox cap this year!

Really sorry to have veered so far from the original topic.

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 21:51:05 (permalink)
    Tony, are you my long lost brother? Geez, The second part of that sentence was about the hand dug well, but following the "new" Tony Bad stylebook, I eliminated the reference as TOO obscure. Were you in the Army at Ft. Riley or something?
    Tony, you're welcome in Southern Oregon anytime. We can have a picnic with WJ, Peachpie, Mr. Chips, Dr. Chanterelle, BbqKing, ExtraMsg and anyone else who wants to come. My treat. You gotta like lamb, salmon,Thai, Baklava, and Mexican Food though.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 22:07:19 (permalink)
    Well to get back on topic, I love the stuff..... I used to make it at home as a matter of fact.. when I was in my frying phase....yum!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 22:10:42 (permalink)
    You can come too, jen. It's not that far up 99/I-5. What is a Fresno Sandwich, by the way?
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 22:32:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Tony, are you my long lost brother? Geez, The second part of that sentence was about the hand dug well, but following the "new" Tony Bad stylebook, I eliminated the reference as TOO obscure. Were you in the Army at Ft. Riley or something?
    Tony, you're welcome in Southern Oregon anytime. We can have a picnic with WJ, Peachpie, Mr. Chips, Dr. Chanterelle, BbqKing, ExtraMsg and anyone else who wants to come. My treat. You gotta like lamb, salmon,Thai, Baklava, and Mexican Food though.

I was not in the army...I worked for a company that had me on the road a lot (too much). When I traveled I used to try to always cram in a tour, going as far as time would allow. I would often bring back a rental car after two days with 800 mile on the odometer. The trip thru Greensburg KS was part of a business trip to OK City...I had a meeting Friday, and didn't get a flight until Sunday, so Saturday was ROAD TRIP...first NW toward Dodge City, then east across southern KS, then SW back to OKC. Saw a lot of places I would never have gotten to see.

Sadly, I haven't spent much time in your beautiful state. I will, however, remember your invite!!
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2005/03/12 22:57:40 (permalink)
    Years ago, I had toasted ravioli for the first time at Charlie Gitto's. It seemed deep fried rather than toasted. I was perplexed. Somewhat gummy in the center, surrounded by that curious sweet red sauce that many St. Louis places love. Not too far in the future I tried it at Rigazzi's. Deep fried, somewhat gummy in the center, with the sweet red sauce. A little farther on down the time line, Zia's toasted ravioli entered the picture. Definitely breaded and fried, vaguely gummy in the center and the sweet red sauce. Still perplexed. But for some reason I enjoyed them all and would probably order them again for a nostalgia fix. Little kids seem to love them, I know mine did.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2012/10/22 14:05:26 (permalink)
    I am a little hesitant to revive this 7 1/2 year old thread that I found while searching the phrase "toasted ravioli." I was looking for a home for my picture and recommendation from my discovery this past weekend in Saint Louis. The banter above is priceless, though, and would hate to ruin it with a food recommendation! :)

Still, I may have found the best toasted ravioli (T-ravs, apparently, to the locals) in all of St. Louis. This place, believe it or not, wasn't even open when the snark on this thread was happening back in 2005!

I can't say that Stellina Pasta would meet many folks' definition of "Roadfood," as it is more of a modern Italian restaurant, as opposed to the classic red sauce joints found on The Hill. That said, I am thinking, in particular, my friend zataar would love this place. Cutting to the chase....

Like most places in St. Louis, Stellina is not particularly expensive. I believe that the toasted ravioli were about $8 for the plate of five, with a small salad. The menu at Stellina changes every day, and I was told that they make the filling for the toasted ravioli just about every other day, so there are never any frozen ravioli being served. This filling included mozzarella, ricotta and basil. I should have taken a cross section photo, but got caught up in the eating and not in the photo-taking. I assure you, these were not gummy in the middle at all. The filling binded together, for sure, with the help of the melted mozz, but I would never call these gummy. The sauce was the previously described "St. Louis sweet." I am thinking that this may be a MO/IL thing? My ex-wife was from the Peoria area and she sweetened her red sauce with cinnamon. This tasted very similar - and I like it.

I would heartily recommend Stellina Pasta for their Roadfood-approved, regionally-appropriate, made famous in Saint Louis, toasted ravioli - and to try some of their other, more eclectic modern takes on Italian food.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2012/10/22 15:06:48 (permalink)
    Did I ever mention my arrogant, egocentric grandmother used to make these for me when I was a kid? 
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2012/10/22 15:43:54 (permalink)
    Tony Bad
    Did I ever mention my arrogant, egocentric grandmother used to make these for me when I was a kid? 

Typical New Yorker

I wonder what our banned brother would say if he met some Pittston people?

ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2012/10/22 15:46:05 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

Did she put the unmitigated attitude directly on them or did she leave it on the side?
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2012/10/22 15:48:14 (permalink)
    I was going to ask if that was sugar on the rav's, but TTM usually doesn't answer me.  Sometimes I think he doesn't "like" me
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Toasted Ravioli... Good Eats? 2012/10/22 16:06:16 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Tony Bad

Did she put the unmitigated attitude directly on them or did she leave it on the side?

It depended on whether she was feeling arrogant or egocentric that day.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1