Today is Poached Egg Day!

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10409
2011/04/05 18:02:37 (permalink)

Today is Poached Egg Day!

Today is Poached Egg Day in honor of Owen Brennan, founder of Brennan's of NOLA. He was born on this day. He is credited with raising the humble egg to new heights with his world famous Eggs Benedict and Eggs Hussarde. This info courtesy of Tom Fitzmorris' "The New Orleans Menu Red Bean Edition." It's a weekly newsletter about all things food in NOLA.
www.nomenu.com   
If you have any special memories of Breakfast at Brennans or any good poached egg recipes or dishes, let's hear about them.

15 Replies Related Threads

stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2346
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/04/05 22:05:26 (permalink)
    Dang. And here it is 9PM. :(
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/04/05 23:06:59 (permalink)
    We ate the Eggs Hussarde and Eggs Benedict at Brennan's last year, and they were both outstanding.
    My writeup is at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=578490
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8404
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/04/05 23:50:42 (permalink)
    I think that it was Eggs Sardou that I enjoyed at Brennan's.

I've been there a couple of times.  Fresh strawberries with real cream, Cream onion soup, Ramos Gin Fizz (AKA Orleans Gin Fizz) and....

Banana's Foster.

My memory is swooning over breakfast.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18954
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/04/06 11:13:16 (permalink)
    Eggs Sardou is still talked about by our kids, both of whom still hang onto their menus from Brennan's.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8404
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/04/06 12:31:37 (permalink)
    Brennan's sister restaurant... Commander's Palace...

That menu is framed and decorates my kitchen wall.
    tymsart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/04/06 13:14:19 (permalink)
    My favorite breakfast is: Homemade Corned Beef Hash w/two poached eggs on top, home fries (crisp) w/onions rye toast, OJ and fresh coffee.  That would hold me for a little bit.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/04/06 13:26:23 (permalink)
    Got some great asparagus and fresh eggs from the lady down the street--think i see them in my dinner--with the eggs over the grass along with a nice pork chop!

missvuster
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/06/13 14:21:56 (permalink)
    tiki

Got some great asparagus and fresh eggs from the lady down the street--think i see them in my dinner--with the eggs over the grass along with a nice pork chop!

I've noticed that a lot of people eat their poached eggs with asparagus. Is that a breakfast thing or a lunch thing?
    I recently poached my first egg...i'm not sure what its supposed to look like but here's mine! We had an iron chef competition :D

and here's my boyfriends haha

post edited by missvuster - 2011/06/13 14:23:37
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/06/19 09:09:35 (permalink)
    Eggs Benedict was always my kids favorite birthday breakfast.  I make my hollaindase sauce in the microwave, so easy.  Now my daughter makes Eggs Benedict for birthdays & is making them today for Father's Day.
    I poach eggs in a high sided skillet.  One Martha Stewart tip I use is to place to poached egg on a slice of bread when you take it out of the pan, best way to dry off egg.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/06/19 10:03:43 (permalink)
    claracamille

Eggs Benedict was always my kids favorite birthday breakfast.  I make my hollandaise sauce in the microwave, so easy.  Now my daughter makes Eggs Benedict for birthdays & is making them today for Father's Day.
    I poach eggs in a high sided skillet.  One Martha Stewart tip I use is to place to poached egg on a slice of bread when you take it out of the pan, best way to dry off egg.

Please post your Hollandaise Recipe.
    I poach mine in a non-stick skillet just deep enough so the water covers the eggs. I add vinegar to the water also. It helps the eggs coagulate. I use a slotted spoon to remove them. Works fine!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/06/19 11:23:43 (permalink)
    Here's my hollandaise- got it off a TV show about 25 years ago - I think I've posted it earlier...

3 Large egg yolks
    1 stick butter (salted or unsalted) - cold, cut up into 8 -10 pieces. 
    Juice of one lemon ( to taste)
    ( a little ground white pepper)

In a tall plastic cup (microwave safe), place all the ingredients.
    Zap on high power for 10 seconds. 
    Stir vigorously with a chopstick or something similar.
    Keep zapping in 10 second bursts and stirring until thickened - about 40 seconds. Zap, stir,zap,stir,zap,stir.

It is important that you use a container that does not hold a lot of heat - glass or ceramic will keep it cooking too long and ruin the sauce. 

Cheers, John 
    post edited by seafarer john - 2011/06/19 11:28:22
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/06/19 13:57:26 (permalink)
    Seafarer - your Hollandaise is made similar to mine only I add a couple dashes of Tabasco, or a little sprinkling of cayenne pepper to it.

I add a little pat of butter to custard cups, place in a skillet of boiling water to poach my eggs.  I never got the hang of dropping them directly into the water - 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/06/20 00:00:26 (permalink)
    BelleReve 
    I never got the hang of dropping them directly into the water - 

Poached Egg Tip - DON'T "Drop" eggs directly into the water. 
    Use a skillet just deep enough to hold enough water to keep the eggs submerged rather than a sauce pan or pot. Heat the water with a TBSP of white vinegar to a simmer unrtil the little air bubbles form on the bottom of the pan. Break eggs individually into a shallow bowl. Slide the egg in gently holding the bowl underwater until the egg starts to form. Slide the egg out of the bowl. Once the eggs start to set up, slide them around in the pan so it doesn't stick to the bottom. When done to your preference, tilt the pan to drain off excess water. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/06/20 02:37:31
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/06/24 13:41:01 (permalink)
    Fbm - Wrong choice of words, I admit.  I don't know if it was  broadcast nationally, but our local PBS station used to have a Sat. morning cooking show hosted by Michael Roussel (then - executive chef of Brennan's) called Breakfast at Brennan's ... and Dinner Too, and I remember his demonstration of the exact cooking method you describe.  Seems like I also remember reading or maybe seeing somewhere, that when some restaurants do a large volume of breakfast/brunches, they poach many eggs at once, remove them with a slotted spoon, and then gently place them in a pan of ice water, until an order comes in, then using the same method, gently slide them into a pan of hot water, just long enough to take the chill off, I would guess.  That would explain why my eggs at Brennan's served to me were lukewarm.  Or, are they supposed to be that way?  Because at $40 (and that was 10 years ago) I don't get to Brennan's for breakfast very often.  For 1-2 people, I like my method of poaching eggs, so sfwm.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Today is Poached Egg Day! 2011/06/25 10:25:51 (permalink)
    Foodbme

claracamille

Eggs Benedict was always my kids favorite birthday breakfast.  I make my hollandaise sauce in the microwave, so easy.  Now my daughter makes Eggs Benedict for birthdays & is making them today for Father's Day.

Please post your Hollandaise Recipe.
    I poach mine in a non-stick skillet just deep enough so the water covers the eggs. I add vinegar to the water also. It helps the eggs coagulate. I use a slotted spoon to remove them. Works fine!

Here is my hollandaise recipe:
    1/2 c. butter , I use salted butter.
    2 egg yolks
    1 tbsp. lemon juice
    2 drops Tabasco sauce
    Place butter in 2 cup glass measuring cup. Microwave at high setting 1 minute or until melted.
    Combine egg yolks, lemon juice, Tabasco and salt in 1 quart glass bowl; whisk well. Gradually add melted butter to yolk mixture, beating with wire whisk.
    Microwave at medium setting (50 percent power) 1 minute or until sauce thickens, stirring after 30 seconds.
    If the sauce breaks,sprinkle a few drops of warm water, & whisk.  I have not had good luck in doubling the recipe, it is so quick to make, I just make another batch.
    I use the glass measuring cup & bowl for best results.
    By the way I make all my sauces & puddings in the microwave, just make sure you use a deep bowl to prevent spillovers.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1