Today's Digest Post - Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge, LA

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
2012/04/11 16:00:49 (permalink)

Today's Digest Post - Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge, LA

I'm curious as all get out-----How does she prepare the Stuffed Turkey Wings and the Stuffed Fried Chicken????
I'm not at all familiar with those recipes or dishes. Can't imagine how she does it!!!
Anyone have a recipe???

5 Replies Related Threads

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Today's Digest Post - Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge, LA 2012/04/11 16:21:30 (permalink)
    Foodbme, these are "stuffed" in a slightly different sense of the word.  There's no bulky bread or meat-based stuffing.  I don't know her recipe but it seemed that onions, garlic, peppers, maybe celery, are chopped up and seasoned, then slits are cut into the meat and the vegetables are pushed in with the fingers, kind of like you do when you stuff slivers of garlic in a leg of lamb, for instance, but more so.  The result is flavor through and through.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Today's Digest Post - Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge, LA 2012/04/11 16:42:47 (permalink)

Foodbme, these are "stuffed" in a slightly different sense of the word.  There's no bulky bread or meat-based stuffing.  I don't know her recipe but it seemed that onions, garlic, peppers, maybe celery, are chopped up and seasoned, then slits are cut into the meat and the vegetables are pushed in with the fingers, kind of like you do when you stuff slivers of garlic in a leg of lamb, for instance, but more so.  The result is flavor through and through.

I found a recipe on-line that sounds like what you're describing:

4 Turkey Wings
    1 whole onion
    1 whole bell pepper
    4 cloves garlic
    2 tsp Cajun seasoning
    2 tsp Creole mustard
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp oil
    4 drops Tabasco sauce
    Cajun Stuffed Turkey Wings

Preheat oven; 325F. Bake: 375-400F.
    Chop onion, bell pepper and garlic in food processor.
    Cut slit in wing and stuff with vegetables seasoned with Tony Chachere's.
    Sprinkle wings with Tabasco.
    Make a paste of mustard, soy sauce and oil.
    Rub all over turkey wings.
    Bake in a shallow dish covered with foil for 5 hours.
    One hour before ready, remove foil; bake until well browned and crisp.
    Remove from oven; sprinkle with a little salt.

Serve as an appetizer or with gravy, rice and vegetable. *You can cook this on stove top at low flame for 2-3 hours. Keep turning and watch not to burn. Add water ever so often. This way, they will be gooey and sticky finger licking good.

Re:Today's Digest Post - Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge, LA 2012/04/11 18:35:51 (permalink)
    That sounds like what we had, give or take a couple of ingredients.  I'll bet it's the same idea with stuffed fried chicken (which, I think, sounds like a great way to do fried chicken).

Edited to add: 5 hours seems like an awfully long time, but who knows?
    post edited by Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle - 2012/04/11 18:37:07
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    Re:Today's Digest Post - Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge, LA 2012/04/12 08:41:23 (permalink)
    Bruce and Sue-
    I don't want to make you feel like you personally let me down by not trying the sweet dough pies, but you personally let me down by not trying the sweet dough pies!

Any idea how sweet dough pies are different?  For some reason, it makes me think of fried pies.  Were you able to eyeball any of the desserts while you were at Glenda's?  It sure looks like the kind of place that would have fantastic pies.
    Re:Today's Digest Post - Glenda's Creole Kitchen - Breaux Bridge, LA 2012/04/12 10:53:47 (permalink)
    Cliff, the pies looked terrific but, unfortunately, it just wasn't happening - late breakfast, big lunch.

Sweet dough pies are a big Cajun thing.  You CAN get them as hand pies, but they are generally made full-sized.  The crust is something like a sugar cookie dough - leave it to Cajuns to take food over the top.  Fillings can be any of the classics, but custard, sweet potatoes, and fig are particularly popular.

I see a Cajun pie tour in your future!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1