Today's Photo

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18641
2006/11/26 11:08:12 (permalink)

Today's Photo

That "Horseshoe" thing looks like it's crawling with segmented maggots. It would be great for bait, but I don't think I'd care to eat it.

22 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/26 11:13:26 (permalink)
    It didn't look to appetizing to me, either. The first thing I thought of was a pile of half-cooked french fries loaded with grease.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/26 11:22:13 (permalink)
    Joe,
    See the comments about the Horseshoe on Todd's trip report (the Illinois to South Carolina Trip). At the end of the thread there are a few comments about Horseshoe sandwiches. I thought the same about the "Underdone" French Fries.

BTW Congratulations on reaching 3000 posts !
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1097
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/26 11:38:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

It didn't look to appetizing to me, either. The first thing I thought of was a pile of half-cooked french fries loaded with grease.

That was my intiial reaction too but after reading the description I think the "grease" is actually the white cheese sauce. They still look a little undercooked though.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/26 11:46:03 (permalink)
    I agree. If you enlarge the picture it does look like cheese sauce. Still doesn't look very appealing.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7016
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/26 11:46:07 (permalink)
    It still looks nasty.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/26 12:08:07 (permalink)
    When I first saw the pic, I thought it was grease covered fries. I guess it is a very mild cheese sauce.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/26 12:13:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Joe,
    See the comments about the Horseshoe on Todd's trip report (the Illinois to South Carolina Trip). At the end of the thread there are a few comments about Horseshoe sandwiches. I thought the same about the "Underdone" French Fries.

Al and all,
    Al,
    The French Fries are great at D'Arcy"s and, so are the horseshoes. I don't know where the "underdone French fries" comment came from. But the picture could be better, and that is a white cheese sauce on the fries. All in all, D'Arcy"s is an outstanding restaurant and their annual gross is about 2 million a year. They are the power player in Springfield and have been since shortly after they opened, in 1998. On St Patrick's Day you can't get in the place and on an average Thursday, Friday, or Saturday Night it's packed with a waiting line. The Horseshoe Sandwich is a very big thing here in Springfield and I guarantee you'd love one if you tried it. I find it humorous when many on this forum talk / complain about heart attacks, and artery clogging dishes when this forum appears to be about unhealthy foods. What the heck this isn't the eat smart livelong forum it's road food and to me (IMHO) that means great food that's not necessarily good for your health. LOL I have the recipe for D'Arcy"s Cheese Sauce and it is a closely guarded secret. I just happened to get it from a friend and former lead cook, but here in Springfield D'Arcy"s is a must for your favorite out of town guest. In fact I'd love to have their reputation and following, and my stand is just about two miles straight down Wabash, from D'Arcy"s. They are in my mind exactly (the epitome) of what Road Food is all about a distinct food in a small town, that you can't find in other areas.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/26 17:50:36 (permalink)
    Well stated Doc Q! But I'll have to admit, when I first saw the pic, them fries did look undercooked and loaded with grease...

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 00:04:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

I find it humorous when many on this forum talk / complain about heart attacks, and artery clogging dishes when this forum appears to be about unhealthy foods. What the heck this isn't the eat smart livelong forum it's road food and to me (IMHO) that means great food that's not necessarily good for your health...(D'arcy's is)in my mind exactly (the epitome) of what Road Food is all about a distinct food in a small town, that you can't find in other areas.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    I'm with the Doc on this one. Who are you guys kidding with the whining about greasy French Fries? Admittedly, the picture could have been better, but anyone who has seen an actual Horseshoe sandwich knows what this delicacy is all about.

As the Dr. has stated, the Horseshoe is exactly what Roadfood is all about. It is heartfelt, soulful, simple food that represents a distinct region or town.

It is quite tasty and, despite the appearance in today's photo, requires no "acquired taste". The ingredients are all things that any Roadfoodie would love: Turkey club ingredients in one version, hamburger patties in another, piled high with fries over toast and the whole thing smothered in real cheese sauce. Yup, that sounds pretty awful.

Y'all wanna complain about the picture, go ahead. But I'm still waiting to see any published reviews with photos from the folks who took their potshots at Jim Ellison's posting.

As for the Horseshoe itself, it is a Roadfood classic that has been featured in print and television including a Burt Wolf episode dedicated entirely to Springfield, Illinois.

Quitcher bellyachin' and get over to the state capitol in the Land of Lincoln. Try a Horseshoe; you'll like it I promise.

Buddy
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 00:47:43 (permalink)
    Buddy, speaking of sandwiches, I just discovered that Chickie's in Cicero is for sale(building & business).
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 01:28:48 (permalink)
    The horseshoe sandwich and fries sounds really good but that picture must be the pits. All I see is a mound of greasy french fries. Dry those off with some paper towels and add a shake or 2 of salt.

MikeS.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 10:04:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

The horseshoe sandwich and fries sounds really good but that picture must be the pits. All I see is a mound of greasy french fries. Dry those off with some paper towels and add a shake or 2 of salt.

Mike it's not NOT I repeat NOT GREASY French Fries LMAO
    It's a white cheese sauce! It just didn't come out well in the photo.

Buddy your quote

"It is quite tasty and, despite the appearance in today's photo, requires no "acquired taste". The ingredients are all things that any Roadfoodie would love: Turkey club ingredients in one version, hamburger patties in another, piled high with fries over toast and the whole thing smothered in real cheese sauce".

Was very well written and in fact that was what I was trying to get across to the forum GOOD JOB.
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    PS My favorite Shoe is hamburger and sunnyside up eggs with fries and sauce.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 10:13:46 (permalink)
    By the way it's very hard to take good food pictures, I know from having taken dozens, and dozens in order to get the pictures I put on my web site. You have to contend with lighting, color of the plate, color and texture of the food, and dozens of other minor problems. Photographers that do food pictures are very talented people and charge accordingly. Jim Ellison's posting. was well written and I'm glad he came to our city. Thank you Jim.
    PS did I meet you at my stand?
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 11:55:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog
    Buddy, speaking of sandwiches, I just discovered that Chickie's in Cicero is for sale(building & business).
    Yup, I saw that. According to posters at local foodie site LTHforum, the owner is just "sticking his toe in the water" to see what the response will be; nothing firm about selling the joint just yet.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Buddy
    toddfleet
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 12:47:24 (permalink)
    Hello all, and especially to Dr of BBQ, this is Toddfleet from nearby Decatur to second your comments about the horseshoe. To address those concerned, the fries are prepared just like any other fry, note crinkle fries are often the mark of a better horseshoe IMO. The texture and alleged greasyness are no different than an order of cheese fries anywhere. In fact a good horseshoe is not greasy, just cheesey, and I also thought Jim Ellison's write up was very good and accurate.

To Doc, I always seem to be on the east side when I am in town and need to get to D'Arcys, I have not had the buffalo chicken version. I have always enjoyed Ritz' Little Fryer, and the former departed Red Coach, and on a few occasions the Barrel Head before the tornado. Other than D'Arcys any good ones I am missing? And what is the name of your place? Thanks, Todd
    digger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 14:20:11 (permalink)
    Dr. of Q, I live 4 or 5 blocks from D'Arcy's and you are so right about the excellent quality of their food and service. I was always a fan of Norb Andy's Horseshoes in the old days. By the way where is your stand, your pork loin looks wonderful I must pay you a visit.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 16:40:29 (permalink)
    I have to say, the fries look great. That's the way I like my crinkle-cut fries; not crispy but limp and greasy and seasoned liberally with salt and pepper.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 20:16:51 (permalink)
    Good Lordy, isn't that whipped horse dead yet??? Regardless of how you like your fries; greasy, dry, salty, crinkle cut, shoestringed, cajun seasoned, limp, firm, or whatever; the fries in that picture are covered in cheese sauce. They are not limp. They are not greasy (or at least no more or less greasy than any other typical French Fry). They are just good old regular fries, cooked the way they are supposed to be. They appear to have a greasy gloss because of the cheese sauce. Get it? Cheese Sauce. Not grease. Not limp. Cheese Sauce.

Jiminy gee whillikers, how many times does it need to be said?

Exasperatedly yours,

Buddy

P.S. Cheese Sauce.

B.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/27 22:05:31 (permalink)
    Cheese sauce, dammit, cheese sauce!

::: ok, ok, i know where i belong. i'm off to pork tenderloin sandwiches :::
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/28 09:37:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by toddfleet

Hello all, and especially to Dr of BBQ, this is Toddfleet from nearby Decatur . Other than D'Arcys any good ones I am missing? And what is the name of your place? Thanks, Todd

Todd,
    Yes and it's on the east side of Springfield, Top Cat's on Stevenson Dr. in the Laketown Shopping Center, just before you go under the viaduct. Rich and Betty own Top Cats and he is a very hard worker and takes great pride in his cheese sauce. He makes it fresh every day and when Bun Capitol went out of business in Springfield (he couldn't find the right cheese) so Rich started ordering all his restaurant supplies from a Chicago company. He is as serious about his horse shoe as anyone in Springfield. Try his place you’ll like it very much, please tell him I said hello.

quote:
    Originally posted by digger

Dr. of Q, I live 4 or 5 blocks from D'Arcy's and you are so right about the excellent quality of their food and service. I was always a fan of Norb Andy's Horseshoes in the old days. By the way where is your stand, your pork loin looks wonderful I must pay you a visit.

Wow a lot of central Illinois folks here in the forum. I’m in the Kmart Parking lot across from White Oaks Mall. I’ve been there just two months and waiting for a variance from the city council so I can be there permanently. I’ve already been asked (by other property owners) To move to other locations but I like Kmart with the high traffic count. By the way the Smoked Pork Loin Sandwich takes about ten minutes to (finish it) on the charbroil so if your coming for one call ahead so I can have it Ready.
    217-836-1101.wwwDrofBBQ.com (I hope that's not a forum infraction)
    Jack@DrofBBQ.com
    toddfleet
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/28 09:54:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip Doc, hope to see you soon, Todd
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Today's Photo 2006/11/29 20:11:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

That "Horseshoe" thing looks like it's crawling with segmented maggots. It would be great for bait, but I don't think I'd care to eat it.

Again, you took the words right outta my mouth.
    It was one of the most unappetizing things I have seen. SUrely, the photo does not do it justice...
    What was under those mag, uh, fries, anyway?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1