Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the

Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
2007/01/30 12:38:27 (permalink)

Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the

Cheeseburger!

Here is Kaelin's, a restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky, boasting of the creation of the first Cheeseburger.

Some years back I had heard that Denver, Colorado was the birthplace of the Cheeseburger. I have no idea who told me this, and mind you, they made no claims as to the origin of the Hamburger itself, only to the notion that someone in the Mile High City was the first to place a piece of cheese on top of a cooked, ground beef patty before putting the top of the bun in place.

I have made numerous efforts to find substantiation for this claim including putting out the call on a Denver based, food oriented radio program for any evidence of the truth of this rumor.

No luck.

So now, with Kaelin's as our restaurant of the day, making the same assertation, I'm wondering if any of you have heard about the Denver/Cheeseburger connection and if you have any information proving same.

Buddy

18 Replies Related Threads

IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 13:00:57 (permalink)
    Kaelin's is ok... more like a place to take your grandmother and her buddies... I've found tons of places here in Loiusville that serve a better burger at a cheaper price.. go for the history.. not the food
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18662
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 13:15:04 (permalink)
    After many years of research I can now say with certainty that the cheeseburger predates even the European settlement of North America.

To find the origin of the cheeseburger you must go back to the days of Genghis Kahn

In 1206 a Mongol known as Temujen, or Temujin, was crowned Genghis Khan, which translates to "emperor of all emperors." His army of Mongols, also known as Tartars, rode out of the steppes of Asia and subjugated some two thirds of the known world.

The Tartar warriors, a fierce and dedicated lot, were known to place pieces of meat under their saddles so that as they rode the movement of the horse under the saddle would help to tenderize the meat which made up the vast majority of their diets. In fact, this is where we get the name Steak Tartare -- except, these warriors did not carry onions, eggs or capers with which to season and garnish their tartare. (That would come later under Genghis Khan's successor, Kublai Khan.)

It seems that one day in 1206 a Mongol staff sergeant, whose name, sadly, has been lost to history, thought it might be a really terrific idea to have some cheese with his meat so he opened a package of Kraft Singles and placed four slices of the dairy product atop his piece of about-to-be burger and then saddled up to ride that day into battle, hoping, of course, to help slaughter the entire propulation of the province into which they charged. We do not, unfortunately, know the name of that province, nor do we know how many inhabitants lost their lives to the Mongol hordes. But we do know that all that riding and fighting really gave the warriors a big appetite.

After the battle and the ensuing rapes and decapitations it was time for dinner. Because the bun had not yet been invented, the warriors were forced to put their meat between slices of toast (and that, by the way, is where Louis Lassen got the idea). When the relaxing soldiers sat around the campfire -- and it was a really big campfire, for there were thousands of soldiers -- some of them noticed the staff sergeant's meal. And many became envious and wished they had thought to add cheese to their meat. Being the sort of people they were, the killed the poor slob before he got a chance to finish eating the very first cheeseburger, which was a good thing considering all the problems he probably would have had with cholesterol.

And that, is the actual history of the cheeseburger. Eat your hearts out Louisville and Denver.

doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 14:46:20 (permalink)

HHmmm,, When did Louis' start putting that cheese whiz on the toast? The claim is that they have been making their burger the same way as Louis did ever since he started. Would you consider cheeze sauce to actually be cheese?

mark

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 14:51:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

HHmmm,, When did Louis' start putting that cheese whiz on the toast? The claim is that they have been making their burger the same way as Louis did ever since he started. Would you consider cheeze sauce to actually be cheese?

mark

Are you sure you meant to post this in this thread?
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 17:58:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

After many years of research I can now say with certainty that the cheeseburger predates even the European settlement of North America.

To find the origin of the cheeseburger you must go back to the days of Genghis Kahn

In 1206 a Mongol known as Temujen, or Temujin, was crowned Genghis Khan, which translates to "emperor of all emperors." His army of Mongols, also known as Tartars, rode out of the steppes of Asia and subjugated some two thirds of the known world.

The Tartar warriors, a fierce and dedicated lot, were known to place pieces of meat under their saddles so that as they rode the movement of the horse under the saddle would help to tenderize the meat which made up the vast majority of their diets. In fact, this is where we get the name Steak Tartare -- except, these warriors did not carry onions, eggs or capers with which to season and garnish their tartare. (That would come later under Genghis Khan's successor, Kublai Khan.)

It seems that one day in 1206 a Mongol staff sergeant, whose name, sadly, has been lost to history, thought it might be a really terrific idea to have some cheese with his meat so he opened a package of Kraft Singles and placed four slices of the dairy product atop his piece of about-to-be burger and then saddled up to ride that day into battle, hoping, of course, to help slaughter the entire propulation of the province into which they charged. We do not, unfortunately, know the name of that province, nor do we know how many inhabitants lost their lives to the Mongol hordes. But we do know that all that riding and fighting really gave the warriors a big appetite.

After the battle and the ensuing rapes and decapitations it was time for dinner. Because the bun had not yet been invented, the warriors were forced to put their meat between slices of toast (and that, by the way, is where Louis Lassen got the idea). When the relaxing soldiers sat around the campfire -- and it was a really big campfire, for there were thousands of soldiers -- some of them noticed the staff sergeant's meal. And many became envious and wished they had thought to add cheese to their meat. Being the sort of people they were, the killed the poor slob before he got a chance to finish eating the very first cheeseburger, which was a good thing considering all the problems he probably would have had with cholesterol.

And that, is the actual history of the cheeseburger. Eat your hearts out Louisville and Denver.

Are you sure about this Mr. Hoffman? I have it on good authority that the cheeseburger originated in Gary, Indiana.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 18:08:08 (permalink)
    Oh,yes. My research was extraordinarily thorough -- even for me.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 18:08:13 (permalink)
    Kaelin's is OK, I agree with Ian's Mom. Only I don't feel it is worth the effort to visit the place. If I want a 'special cheeseburger' in urban Louisville, I go to Genny's Diner for the Big-Daddy Burger and some "Frickles" (deep-fried pickle slices).
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 18:51:19 (permalink)
    I went to Kaelin's for the first time a little over a year ago. I was disappointed with the cheeseburger. Not much taste to it. Some of the other menu items were better than the hamburger. One thing you should try is the bread pudding. It's listed under another name, but ask the waitress; she'll know what you are asking for. I recommend it because it has to be the most bourbon-soaked dessert I've ever put in my mouth. If you go to Kaelin's, go for the history, albeit one in an ever-perpetual dispute--not for the very expensive (and not very tasty) cheeseburger.
    CoastFan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/30 21:25:04 (permalink)
    Not just Denver or Louisville. Looks like Pasadena, CA has a place also making the claim. Undoubtedly there are others.

quote:
    http://www.culturefreak.com/tale.html
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 07:30:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CoastFan

Not just Denver or Louisville. Looks like Pasadena, CA has a place also making the claim. Undoubtedly there are others.

quote:

If you go by this article, it places Kaelin's as the first in 1934 with Denver and Pasadena in 1935 and 1937 respectively.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 07:52:40 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman that is a great story and I know for a fact every word is true. How, you ask, do I know? When I was a kid in Brooklyn the Kahn's lived on the 3rd floor and I my bestest friend Irving told me they have a picture of Genghis with a sign saying "Genghis Kahn slept here" which he was going to sell on E-Bay. And in the background was the sargent, eating cheeseburger Numero Uno.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 08:30:16 (permalink)
    LOL
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 11:10:56 (permalink)
    That's really interesting, Oh Ancient One. I went to school with a kid named Zezzie Kahn who was a tenor sax player and had his own one-design Zip Class sailboat when he was 12 and living at Bagel Beach (Woodmont) during the summers. Ah, those were the days.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 14:08:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CoastFan

quote:
    Actually, if I'm reading the article correctly, Denver is not the birthplace of the cheeseburger itself, but rather the word "Cheeseburger". Anyone else getting that impression?

BTW, Mssrs. Hoffman and Mariner, very amusing tales. Not much help answering the question, but amusing nonetheless.

Buddy
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 14:10:32 (permalink)
    quote:

That's really interesting, Oh Ancient One. I went to school with a kid named Zezzie Kahn who was a tenor sax player and had his own one-design Zip Class sailboat when he was 12 and living at Bagel Beach (Woodmont) during the summers. Ah, those were the days.

I have never heard of a Bagel Beach. I have heard of a Bagel Sandwich though.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 14:27:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by corabeth

quote:

While I realize that you are merely attempting, unsuccessfully of course, to pull my chain, Bagel Beach was the name used by those of us who summered in the area for a particular stretch of beach and adjacent cottages in one of the Woodmont Beach sections of Milford, Connecticut.
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 14:39:23 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by corabeth

quote:

While I realize that you are merely attempting, unsuccessfully of course, to pull my chain, Bagel Beach was the name used by those of us who summered in the area for a particular stretch of beach and adjacent cottages in one of the Woodmont Beach sections of Milford, Connecticut.

Oh c'mon Mr Insecure, it was just a joke.

Methinks it was successful, because you replied so quickly!

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the 2007/01/31 15:01:04 (permalink)
    I am another one who wasn't particularly impressed by Kaelin's. Not that the food was bad or anything, there just wasn't anything really memorable about the place. There are too many other places in the Louisville area I like much better. Like today's restaurant of the day, The Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen, which is fantastic!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1