Todays butt head customer

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1312
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 21:52:45 (permalink)
Re: Being near a butthead customer...

I may have told this story here before, but...
My wife and I were at an Indian restaurant we hadn't been to before; we had a coupon. There was a woman sitting at a table who was putting out very negative vibes. She also happened to be African American, so when I told my wife that I wanted to sit at a table further away, and she got stubborn, of course I couldn't say "I do not want to sit near this woman." So we sat in the next table, and the woman's boyfriend/husband joined her. They ordered two tandoori platters. They came to the table, and the woman says, "I can't eat that!" The waiter asked why, and she pointed to a couple of shrimp in the platter and said, "I'm allergic to shrimp! I can't eat it!" The waiter offered to remove the shrimp, to which she replied, "But the shrimp touched the other food! I'm not paying for this!" and stepped up, and insisted that the boyfriend/husband not pay (he did manage to slip a $20 to the waiter). That's a slightly shortened version; there was a dispute as to whether or not she had told the waiter she was allergic to shrimp, and, based on the boyfriend's demeanor, I believe that she had not told the waiter.

Well, my wife's and my food arrived, and, after watching that scene, we really didn't want to use the coupon. On the way out, I told my wife, "I would have made them an offer for the two platters, but they really don't reheat so well." My wife told me, "The food we did order would have reheated fine; you should have made them an offer for the platters and then brought the food we ordered home with us!" Duh!

And, yeah, I know the health department would have looked askew at them serving us the platters, even though we saw that nobody except the waiter had touched them.

Bart
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 22:06:37 (permalink)
If walnuts were in the dish...you'd eat it?

What does African American have to do with anything?

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 22:07:40 (permalink)
So African Americans are allergic to shrimp? Who knew?

felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3503
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 22:16:01 (permalink)
As someone with a food allergy, and if it appears on the plate I truly cannot eat anything on it, I can't see how she was being a "butthead customer". Unless it stated on the menu there was shrimp and she ordered it anyway (always a possibility, and then she's an idiot), she could very well have been surprised by it. Me, I'm allergic to melon. It sometimes crops up as a plate garnish, and I have to apologize for not being able to eat anything on the plate (I admit, it does not always occur to me to tell the waiter/waitress that I'm allergic on the off chance they use it). Of course, I'm not obnoxious about it, and I've never had a problem getting a new plate of food sans melon. I've only ever had to pay for one plate of food, since that's all I ordered.

That is, however, a completely different scenario from asking if the chili is spicy, being told that it is, and then complaining about the chili being spicy as advertised.
post edited by felix4067 - 2013/01/14 22:17:06
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 22:20:56 (permalink)
The spicy aside...when it comes to being obnoxious the lady said "I'm so sorry...you'll have to take this back" before anything else followed.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 22:34:27 (permalink)
No mention if there was a word said about paying for it or not paying for it before they were told they would be paying 1/2 price for it...by the owner of the establishment who walked over to the table while they were still eating.

You could always bring the waitress aside and tell her to charge whatever you decide (1/2 price full-price) and wait until the meal was complete to either mention the 1/2 price charge or present the bill and take it from there.

When you ordered your club sandwich and it came without bacon...you called the waitress over to ask her about it...and you got bacon without any charge.

If you asked the waitress about the bacon and the owner saw fit to come over before or while you were eating to tell you there was no bacon mentioned on the menu description...sorry this is not a Diner. If you want bacon you will be charged for it...I believe you'd have something to say.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/01/15 00:06:32
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8365
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 06:04:02 (permalink)
In the case I stated, I bent over backwards to accomodate this woman before making my comment( no, there were no other customers around) i offered her every condiment we had-including yellow mustard and honey.She had an attitude the minute she came to my area, of which I know how to handle.But her ranting and snobbery were over the top. She was looking for a fight. Even the team leader said that-she wouldnt let him get a word in edge wise. I did apologize to her, saying I was wrong for my statement.However, if I go in to ANY establishment and treat people poorly, I would expect to be treated poorly back. And I certainly didnt treat her as she did me. And yes, its Target, folks, not a four star, full sevice restaurant.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 660
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 07:30:18 (permalink)
flyseye

We are talking about a CUP OF CHILI here,right ? OK, I give, I would have set them all on fire.
I have to disagree with this logic.

First, it's only a cup of chili. Next, it's only a hamburger. Then, it's only a filet mignon.  Where does one draw the line.

Chewy (or the waitress) could have offered a small taste. Chewey could have removed the chili from the tab.  The customer could have not acted like an azzhat.

It's my cynical opinion that wherever, and whenever people can suck, they will suck, and Chewey's customer and ann peeple's customer only re-inforce my opinion.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 09:04:12 (permalink)
Exacty, eruby. I have absolutley no control( something I am not used to) at Target. I was wrong with my comment, but she was completely difficult.......

Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 09:09:31 (permalink)
It's my cynical opinion that wherever, and whenever people can suck, they will suck, and Chewey's customer and ann peeple's customer only re-inforce my opinion.
Only 2% of them, 23% are reasonable, 75% are what makes the service industries enjoyable.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 09:11:41 (permalink)
Bartl-probably not the best story, as you kinda profiled.. However, Bob is severly allergic to cucumbers. We make it clear , upon ordering, he cant even have a salad if a cucumber has been in one.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 09:13:43 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man-you are right-we still laugh at my response as i am totally customer friendly.......
Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 09:25:44 (permalink)
Ann, I try to be but sometimes you just lose it.
I'm lucky, I sell happiness, if you are having a bad day Ice Cream makes it better but nothing will help some people. 
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1013
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 09:57:33 (permalink)
I have food allergies too, and I make it a point to grill the server about exactly what ingredients are in/on/around the food I'm ordering. Luckily, I'm not very allergic to many things, so I haven't had any trouble, and I've only had to send something back maybe twice that I can remember in the past 20+ years.

I did have to sign a waiver at a Japanese restaurant once, that I wouldn't sue them if I got sick after eating my meal cooked on the same surface as the shrimp, rice, and eggs, none of which I can eat. And that was only because my then loudmouth girlfriend who liked to cause drama made a big deal about it. I'm not so allergic that it would have bothered me much as long as I didn't actually eat any of it, so it was all unnecessary and a little embarrassing as it held up everyone else at the table from getting served while they wrote up the form.
jman
  • Total Posts : 1364
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 10:36:24 (permalink)
I liken this discussion regarding the shoulda, coulda, woulda advice offered to the OP to watching an exchange of two people on TV, then reading the transcript.  There's a good chance your perception of the exchange will differ when watching/hearing or reading either.  In other words, the reality of the actual exchange sometimes gets lost in the telling. Emotion and inflection are rarely replicated when a written account is offered.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 10:43:04 (permalink)
Employees should be taught that no matter what the "percentage of people that suck" happens to be...they should never become part of that issue. Diffuse it. Don't become part of it....with a rant of your own that any part of the 98% have to endure.
That instruction and example comes from the top (or not) but it usually follows suit with employees or employees will run and it happens again and again.
Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 10:47:35 (permalink)
We have customers that come in and ask us to wash the scoops and serve them from a new container to try and eliminate cross contamination. I find this to be a reasonable request.
I had forgotten about a customer that used to come in regularly but I haven't seen her for a lone time. She would ask the server to remove watches and jewelry. She told me it was the only place she could come that the electricity didn't bother her. She wanted to know it we did anything special with our machines. I always expected her to come in with a foil hat on one day.   
Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 10:52:45 (permalink)
CCinNJ

Employees should be taught that no matter what the "percentage of people that suck" happens to be...they should never become part of that issue. Diffuse it. Don't become part of it....with a rant of your own that any part of the 98% have to endure.
That instruction and example comes from the top (or not) but it usually follows suit with employees or employees will run and it happens again and again.

No matter what you think I won't require or teach my employees to eat **** served by the 2% and in my experience the 98% are on the servers side and say so.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 10:55:35 (permalink)
Yes...there will be people like this. Always. That's part of business.

The solution is to find a way to handle whatever happens so the other customers who have nothing to do with that...don't have to anything to do with that (on your part) and if someone is acting-out...not to join them because those other customers behaving see either one party behaving badly and a good business approach to the matter or are party to listening to both sides go on and on...about some silly things.

What action cause this woman to be the 2%?

She ordered chili and said sorry this has to be taken back.

From there it escalated to the current situation.

If your employees are young people and part of your 2% is much older or elderly many of the customers will just see a smartass kid with no respect for their elders no matter what happens.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/01/15 11:03:16
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2398
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 11:11:16 (permalink)
Think back, a small restaurant in your home town, the owner opens the door, welcomes you and your family. Welcome to my Restaurant he say's, sit, eat, enjoy. No one ever had a customer complaint that wasn't taken care of. The owner came to the table, asked, How is your food, Wonderful we all replyed . The owner was always there to make sure you and your family had a good experience, if not, he/she would make it right.
  In all the Restaurants I have managed/Chefed or owned, I always worked/walked the floor, making sure the guests were taken care of. I would be able to correct a complaint before it became a complaint. If you walk the floor, you see/hear everything. I was able to see someone picking at their food, look as though something was wrong. I could see someone looking at their watch look agitated. I was able to correct the problem in midstream. If you work the room, you control the room, it doesn't control you. If someone has a bad meal, it's to late if you find this out at the register.
 In the past 35 yrs, if it could happen in a restaurant, it did happen in mine. I have seen everything from people bringing in their own flys to put in the mashed potatoes to get a free meal, to my life and families life being threatened my some crazy guy in Hawaii. I have found that 99.9% of the people are nice, want a good meal, then move on. The small amount of people, that are out to make trouble, or think the world owes them something will always be a problem. These people are not your regular customers. I always got these people out of my dining room, talked to them away from my other guests. These are the people that screw it up for the others. Once they know you have them pegged,  can't be fooled, they move on to hook onto other fish......This is all part of being in business, just be happy these people are not your family.............pnwc
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 11:22:49 (permalink)
If your child was there and wanted chili and you decided to order it...and everything else followed (without knowing the owner) and the owner got angry...all you would care about is your child listening to that.

Again...where is the trouble?

I'm sorry you'll have to take the chili back. Let them eat their meal without an announcement that they are charged whatever for it. Offer samples or that the next time so there are no more issues in the future that cause a rant in the middle of the dining room on your part

If they didn't say anything about the charge while eating...you are part of the problem. I don't know anyone who would not have a problem with an owner showing up at a table in the middle of a meal not to find solution but to tell someone they made a mistake and will be charged for it.

Especially if no mention was made about charge...just a request to have it taken away. That's a request made by parents all the time. It's too hot...take it so we won't revisit the chili in the mind of a 7 year-old throughout the meal. No problem...if they didn't mention anything about the charge when the request was made.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/01/15 11:48:45
Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 11:50:35 (permalink)
You can say it as many times as you like but it doesn't change the fact that most owners will draw a line in the sand.
Nor does it change my belief that as owners we have to eat ****.
Believe it or not it doesn't hurt our businesses at all, it just allows us to sleep a little better.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 11:53:16 (permalink)
SeamusD

I have food allergies too, and I make it a point to grill the server about exactly what ingredients are in/on/around the food I'm ordering. Luckily, I'm not very allergic to many things, so I haven't had any trouble, and I've only had to send something back maybe twice that I can remember in the past 20+ years.

I did have to sign a waiver at a Japanese restaurant once, that I wouldn't sue them if I got sick after eating my meal cooked on the same surface as the shrimp, rice, and eggs, none of which I can eat. And that was only because my then loudmouth girlfriend who liked to cause drama made a big deal about it. I'm not so allergic that it would have bothered me much as long as I didn't actually eat any of it, so it was all unnecessary and a little embarrassing as it held up everyone else at the table from getting served while they wrote up the form.

Very jealous! There is a place here in town I frequent, that serves mixed fruit with one of my favourite sandwiches. I always substitute chips because of the melon. One day the manager asked me why, and I explained. Whereupon she told me they only mix the fruit just before serving, and it lives in separate containers until then. She went back to the kitchen and had them take my fruit out of the containers they hadn't yet used in case of cross-contamination, using tongs fresh out of the dishwasher. It was wonderful! About 30 minutes after I got back to work, I started coughing and wheezing and my throat started closing. Luckily, I was carrying Benadryl and it mostly took care of it, although my voice was two octaves too low for a couple of days. Turns out they used the same knife and cutting board to chop the fruit in the morning, something that honestly never occurred to me.

The next time I went, she asked me if I wanted fruit, so I explained what happened. She was mortified and wanted to comp my lunch. I refused, because seriously...she had bent over backward to accommodate me, and it was totally my fault for not thinking of it. Luckily, mine isn't a life-threatening allergy, I just break out in hives wherever the melon or its juice touches me (which gets interesting to say the least if I eat something). But if I didn't already love this place, I definitely would  now! Customer service is an understatement for what they do.

Still completely different from being told chili is spicy, and then complaining because it actually is.
post edited by felix4067 - 2013/01/15 11:54:17
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 11:55:32 (permalink)
That's fine with me. I just don't know where the line is when someone decides to order something and it does not work out. If someone does not mention anything about being charged and just says this did not work out...that's the line. Ok. Got it. Time to go over there.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/01/15 11:56:38
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4531
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 12:00:39 (permalink)
 What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 12:03:44 (permalink)
I'm so sorry. I didn't know I'm so sorry you'll have to take this back was an egregious offense by a customer that warrants a visit.

At least it will cut down on the complaints here when people are dining out themselves.

Eat that chili Suzy or put it in your Hello Kitty bag. I knew you were gonna be trouble for us since the day you were born.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/01/15 12:13:46
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 12:06:00 (permalink)
joerogo

What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4531
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 12:28:16 (permalink)
felix4067

joerogo

What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?

Huh? I... I don't know that.

Auuuuuuuugh!!!
flyseye
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 470
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 13:42:55 (permalink)
Nevermind, not worth the effort.
post edited by flyseye - 2013/01/15 13:44:20
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/15 14:01:32 (permalink)
Ok CC, how do you handle a customer who complains that his Sprite is too cold, as I had happen a few years back. My answer to follow.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1