Todays butt head customer

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/10/10 17:23:39 (permalink)

Todays butt head customer

Guy and his wife and 3 kids come in, the oldest child is a little girl 6 or7. The woman asks the waitress is your Chili spicy? My daughter wants Chili. The waitress says yes indeed it is spicy. The woman says ok, give us a cup with cheese and onions. I'm sitting at the computer thinking, spicy Chili with raw onions and cheese for a 6-7 yr. old kid??? The waitress brings it, the kid takes a bite, says it's too spicy, the woman says she so sorry but you'll have to take it back, I say sorry, you were told, it was spicy, I'll take it back but you will be charged half price. This doesn't go over with hubby, and he starts bitching, I told him that were not some chain that can be played like that. I got the old we'll never be back line. they got my old line good, and tell your friends, if you got any, to stay away. I will not be abused by the public, I don't care if he writes 1000 bogus negative reviews on Yelp! Your reaction?
PS. The Chili has a kick, but in almost  11 years, never had any sent back, for it's heat.
post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/10/10 17:26:07

88 Replies Related Threads

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/10 17:45:02 (permalink)
    I admire your resolve Chewey, but one thing I've learned over the years  is a customer scorned can be a nightmare. The buck ends with you and no upper management governace to interfere is great, but the word of mouth and online reputation damage isn't worth it for a compromise. I wouldn't comp it out of principle either, but I certainly would have given them full credit for it towards the rest of their ticket or exchage for something else. Most people woudn't have done this anyways. There a some kids at that age that truly do like spicy foods. I used to be like that and wasn't a picky eater. I realize that it's now PC not to give young kids highly spiced foods, but that wasn't the case when I grew up where you ate what everybody else did and not some kid friendly food.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/10 18:10:20 (permalink)
    Possible Solution would have been to offer a small sample of chili to the kid before placing the order. Would have defussed the whole situation and they would have no recourse if they went ahead and ordered it.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/10 22:08:30 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Possible Solution would have been to offer a small sample of chili to the kid before placing the order. Would have defussed the whole situation and they would have no recourse if they went ahead and ordered it.

Your right! Got bye me!!

DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/10 23:12:24 (permalink)
    RU Serious? Micromanaging and looking over the shoulder of a waitstaff and making a call on the judgement of a customer? If I ordered something off the menu and someone came back to the table and told me that I what I ordered may not be suitable for me and to try a sample b4 they serve it, I'd really be miffed. Suffice to note on the menu or have the waitress mention that it's up there on the scoville scale instead of saying it's just spicy.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/11 03:31:49 (permalink)
    DawnT

RU Serious? Micromanaging and looking over the shoulder of a waitstaff and making a call on the judgement of a customer? If I ordered something off the menu and someone came back to the table and told me that I what I ordered may not be suitable for me and to try a sample b4 they serve it, I'd really be miffed. Suffice to note on the menu or have the waitress mention that it's up there on the scoville scale instead of saying it's just spicy.

Yes, I'm serious! Your intrepretation of what I was saying is way off the mark.
    I was not implying that CTF get involved or micromanage the situation.
    You can train your waitstaff to handle a situation like that in a tactful manner.
    Have them say something like, "Since our chili is on the spicy side, would you like me to bring your son a little sample for him to try to make sure he likes it?"
    You can't do it with every item on the menu but you can with chili.
    Most parents would appreciate that. If they say no, then the Monkey's on their back.
    That way you head off a potential problem.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/10/11 03:33:17
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/11 08:26:50 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I was going to say this as well.  A little condiment cupful as a taste would likely have solved the problem.  Of course some buttheads cannot be satisfied no matter what you do. 

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/11 11:35:43 (permalink)
    Yeah the taste-test would have saved you a lot of hassle ! Like the tiny-spoon ice cream tasters, they help steer the customer to the right decision.   Now, , if you were having a bad day, and wanted a chance to dump on someone other than an employee, then you found the way to do it, Ehhh.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/11 12:07:37 (permalink)
    mayor al

Yeah the taste-test would have saved you a lot of hassle ! Like the tiny-spoon ice cream tasters, they help steer the customer to the right decision.   Now, , if you were having a bad day, and wanted a chance to dump on someone other than an employee, then you found the way to do it, Ehhh.

Al and the rest of you who suggested a sample, your right, it got by me because she was so definitive about ordering it. I give samples every day to lots of people, I have no problem with samples, that said, when I first opened, I did have a problem with samples, I learned samples sell a lot of food. This place however is not a pay if you feel like it, place!
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/11 15:17:44 (permalink)
    chewy, Good deal. So many customer today feel so "entitled". I think more owners need o do like you do and stop kissing their butt's.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/12 03:45:21 (permalink)
    I also agree with the partial portion cup sample...  It also works when a customer walks in asking is you chili good?  We've handed out dozens of samples and a good 90% of them became sales.

Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2011/10/12 09:46:39 (permalink)
    I've been the customer that asked for a sample, but for me it was sauce used on spaghetti.  There are some places that don't know the difference between spaghetti sauce and chilli sauce, and I am NOT a fan of chilli on my spaghetti.  Getting a chance to taste the sauce BEFORE ordering the meal has been a deal saver several times for me.

Photto
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/13 17:11:21 (permalink)
    The downside is customers don't play fair. They will bury you on the internet and you will have no recourse. Should have gone for the sample idea. Did you actually expect the Husband to step up and be a man? He most likely wasn't even the kids Dad. Maybe just the lady's shack-up. NOBODY TAKES RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS! I am amazed they did not want you to comp the whole bill because the little creep burned her mouth. WHERE HAVE ALL THE REAL MEN GONE? WHERE ARE THE FATHERS?...Russ
    Sorry for the rant but I am in the service business and get held hostage by customers all the time.
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/13 20:47:48 (permalink)
    Did you ever stop and figure out how much it costs to get a customer to walk through your front door? More than a bowl of chili,thats for sure. You asked for opinions, and I have to say that in MY opinion you acted rather childish.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/13 21:28:16 (permalink)
    Yikes. It's over a year later.

Ice Cream Man
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 11:51:45 (permalink)
    flyseye

Did you ever stop and figure out how much it costs to get a customer to walk through your front door? More than a bowl of chili,thats for sure. You asked for opinions, and I have to say that in MY opinion you acted rather childish.

It's over a year old but still very relevant.
    I know exactly what it costs to get a customer but not only that to keep a customer.
    It takes an excellent product. Chewy did the right thing, kick the bad ones out they are only 2% of the people who walk through the door, the good thing about C T F's action they will not likely walk through the door again. I say not likely because even though you tell some of them their not welcome they still come back.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 12:34:43 (permalink)
    My thought is that the guy wasn't coming back no matter what. Might as well let him know you agreed that it was for the best, I say.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 17:08:29 (permalink)
    Ice Cream Man

flyseye

It's over a year old but still very relevant.
    I know exactly what it costs to get a customer but not only that to keep a customer.
    It takes an excellent product. Chewy did the right thing, kick the bad ones out they are only 2% of the people who walk through the door, the good thing about C T F's action they will not likely walk through the door again. I say not likely because even though you tell some of them their not welcome they still come back.

On the money ICM, exactly!

flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 18:20:40 (permalink)
    We are talking about a CUP OF CHILI here,right ? OK, I give, I would have set them all on fire.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 18:43:12 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson
     He most likely wasn't even the kids Dad. 

Wow. This seems like needless inflammatory commentary. How on Earth would you know if the man was the children's father? And, for that matter, why would that be relevant to the story?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8484
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 19:13:06 (permalink)
    I work at Target in the food area.It is basically a make and serve area-pretzels, hot dogs, french fries, etc. You get the picture. We do make ham and turkey ciabatta sandwiches, and two types of salads, but minimal.I had a very snotty guest one day who wanted honey mustard for her sandwich.I am sorry-we didnt have it( at the time). She went on, and on, and on how we should provide said condiments.I am bound by a corporation-if I have ANYTHING in my dept not approved by Target, I am in big trouble.Point being, her rant led me to make a comment-I said, politely, we are not a full service restaurant. God, she went on and on again about how people would die for my job( not really) and there are people out there that could be better at this job.....anyway, she complained to my team lead-he laughed after she left.I never get complaints as I am a people person, but she pissed me off.Chewy was right in his response. Yes, I offer samples( is the popcorn fresh, etc), but sometimes enough is enough.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 19:13:09 (permalink)
    Are there other customers in the area...when these things happen?

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4198
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 19:28:23 (permalink)
    I know it's over a year ago, but it is an excellent topic.

Referring to your menu (nice web-site, BTW!): the item in question (which is in a COGS sense high-margin) was $5.25 - around 10% of the total tab. 

Step 1:  COMP IT AND SMILE!  "Oops!  Seems like your server told you the truth about the chili.  Check the kids menu and let's get this wonderful child fed"!

Step 2:  Take the $35 gross profit on the total ticket to the bank, -ing all the way.

To borrow the words of Mario Puzo:  "This is the business (you) have chosen".

"These days" when every a-hole is "empowered" by the internet, I would kiss every wallet.  

(The beauty of this is that those arrogant fools mistake this for their a$$es being kissed and will go out of their way to write wonderful reviews on the "net").
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/01/14 19:49:53
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 19:37:52 (permalink)
    I guarantee if anyone here went out to a nice Roadfood lunch or dinner and did not know any of the participants but started a thread about "this is what happened while I was just minding my own self trying to enjoy my meal"....nobody would really pick a side.

I think I'd go run over with $5.25 and maybe that would make it stop.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/01/14 20:03:39
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7017
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 20:12:16 (permalink)
    As sure as the sun comes up, those of us that deal with the general public in one way or another are going to come across butt heads.  It's inevitable.  You deal with it according to the situation.  The trick is turning a truly obnoxious, rude, nasty customer into a loyal patron who loves your product. 
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 20:16:14 (permalink)
    I wonder what a customer should do if they don't like the taste of something served, grin and bear it?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7017
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 20:26:52 (permalink)
    Nope.  Tell the person that handed you the food that you just don't like it.  That could be a server, person at the window of a food truck, chef, etc.  Then I would expect that the customer be urged to try another item.
    Ice Cream Man
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 20:46:21 (permalink)
    First you can't fix ignorant people.
    Second the customer isn't always right. (no matter what your T.V. told you).
    Third A good business doesn't need that 2%.
    Fourth these people don't write good reviews.
    Fifth I have told these people to get lost and the rest of the customers are happy to see them go because the bad customers interfere with their enjoyment too.
    Behave yourself or you get no soup today.  
    Ice Cream Man
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 20:51:56 (permalink)
    ces1948

I wonder what a customer should do if they don't like the taste of something served, grin and bear it?

Not the same thing, if C T F told you it was hot and it was suck it up. If it was just not good I'm sure you would get a new one unless you jumped up on the table and started to scream.
    To all, remember were not discussing the average customer here.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Todays butt head customer 2013/01/14 21:00:38 (permalink)
    Other customers don't care who is right or wrong about the chili. They're not rooting for anyone or making a case. They are there to enjoy their meal.

What other customers may see are children sitting there through the whole silly mess and just feel bad that adults can't manage themselves in a better manner.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1