Today's featured restaurant!

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
2004/11/16 09:22:47 (permalink)

Today's featured restaurant!

I am delighted to see that Friendship Cafe is today's featured restaurant. I have been there several times for breakfast when I visit the Portland area and have always been satisfied by their hearty delicious meals- See it just goes to show you that there is life outside of Becky's Diner.

12 Replies Related Threads

renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/16 11:26:00 (permalink)
    When I first read this review I was shaking my head at this:

"Do you want real maple syrup or regular?" the waitress asked when we ordered a stack of blueberry pancakes. Of course we chose the latter, and we appreciated the straightforward approach."

But then one of the pictures indicates that there is real maple syrup so I guess Michael meant to say "former" rather than "latter". Whew!

Anyway, never been there but it sure looks good!
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/16 11:55:12 (permalink)
    My quest is to one day have some corned beef hash that does not come out of a can.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/16 17:38:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

My quest is to one day have some corned beef hash that does not come out of a can.

Lonestar--next time you coming through Oklahoma,let me know---have i got a breakfast for you!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18338
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/16 17:50:34 (permalink)
    quote:

It's really easy to make. All you need is some cooked corned beef, diced; some peeled diced potatoes (my preference if for diced baked russets); diced onion (optional); salt and pepper, (I like to beat an egg to mix with the meant, potatoes and onion as a binder). Mix it up and fry it in a skillet, turning occasionally to brown and crisp on both sides.

For Red Flannel Hash add some diced beets.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/16 17:54:56 (permalink)
    The problem is, I have never cooked corned beef to have any left overs! I will have to make that a resolution for the new year.

Tiki - do you make your own too?
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1029
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/16 18:34:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

When I first read this review I was shaking my head at this:

"Do you want real maple syrup or regular?" the waitress asked when we ordered a stack of blueberry pancakes. Of course we chose the latter, and we appreciated the straightforward approach."

But then one of the pictures indicates that there is real maple syrup so I guess Michael meant to say "former" rather than "latter". Whew!

Anyway, never been there but it sure looks good!

Good catch! Thanks.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18338
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/16 18:34:41 (permalink)
    quote:

The problem is, I have never cooked corned beef to have any left overs! I will have to make that a resolution for the new year.

Leftovers? Leftovers? Who said anything about leftovers. You make the corned beef for the hash.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/16 20:48:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Give it up, LS, if you're looking in TX.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/17 09:41:39 (permalink)
    I about spit my coffee all over the screen this morning when I saw the featured restaurant of the day. The Milwaukee Wiener House in Sioux City, IA. I must have been one of their first customers 44 years ago.

My mother used to take me to Sioux City on Monday nights when all the stores were open. I would wander around downtown while she shopped. I discovered the Wiener House and ate there a number of times. I'd like to say that it was because the dogs were so good (I don't remember)but it was because I had the nasty habit of smoking and I was definitely under age. I could go to the Wiener House and get out of the cold and not worry about being spotted by someone I knew.

Thanks for the memories.

Cakes
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/17 10:32:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Tiki - do you make your own too?

Yes Ma'm i do----as a matter of fact--since moving out here next to you Texans and settleing in Brisket Country, ive got a version of hash addapted to Oklahoma--kindofa Orange Flannel Okie Hash---i add sweet potatoes and use a lb or so of brisket from Smokehouse Bobs instead of corned beef--other then that its classic red flannel hash---i make a suace up---quick version is 2 parts Mrs Renfro's Peach Salsa and 1 part HeadCountry barebque sauce. I cook it in a big black skillet till crispy'D---flip it-make hollows in it and drop eggs in them---cover and cook till eggs are done to you likeing. Serve with the sauce.With bisciuts!!!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/17 10:34:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Give it up, LS, if you're looking in TX.

i got a feeling that if someone in Texas served my recipe for Okie Orange flannel hash---theyd do just fine!!! Heck if like like Brisket and breakfasts---you GOTTA love hash!
    pennypincher
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Today's featured restaurant! 2004/11/17 12:23:27 (permalink)
    quote:

I know that food is subjective but have you ever tried Walmarts Great Value Corned Beef Hash for 97 cents a can? IMHO, it isn't too bad.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1