Tom Sawyer's Restaurant

Author
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
2011/09/06 17:57:19 (permalink)

Tom Sawyer's Restaurant

Does anyone remember (what must have been) a short-lived chain restaurant called Tom Sawyer's?

There was one (briefly) in Bainbridge GA in the early '80s. It was sort of a faux barbeque and burgers place as I recall. Mostly I remember it could not decide if it was a sit down service place or a fast food order-at-the-counter place. It was very confusing and that and the mediocre food led to its quick demise. I think the palce was razed and a Hardee's or maybe a gas station/convenience sotr placed on the site on Shotwell St.

Anyway, did anyone else experience this short-lived chain?  As I say, it was short-lived for a reason.

6 Replies Related Threads

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    Re:Tom Sawyer's Restaurant 2011/09/09 20:42:16 (permalink)
    Sorry

I tried every search engine I could find and NOTHING except a BBQ place in the Phillipines that serves Tom Sawyer fried chicken (and pretty good food at that)

Maybe adjudicator could shed some light on it?

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Tom Sawyer's Restaurant 2011/09/24 12:42:08 (permalink)
    Can't say I ever heard of it.  Didn't get to Bainbridge until 1984 and now I have left there again.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Tom Sawyer's Restaurant 2011/09/25 10:25:23 (permalink)
    Adjudicator

Can't say I ever heard of it.  Didn't get to Bainbridge until 1984 and now I have left there again.

It must have been circa 1985 and I don't think lasted even one year. Sort of like when Lindy's Fried Chicken took over Wendy's and lasted about all of six weeks.

If I am remembering correctly Tom Sawyers took over the closed Hardees the on the corner Shotwell and Sims St. where Woodalls is now.  They pretty much tore down the Hardee's and put Tom Sawyers in its place. Then when it quickly folded, Wooodalls tore down the Tom Sawyers and built the gas station/convenience store that's there today. And Hardees moved a little bit down the street on Shortwell.  

Good career move getting out of Bainbridge, by the way. Baiinbridge seems to have changed so much since we left nearly six years ago and not so much for the better.

Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 448
    Re:Tom Sawyer's Restaurant 2011/09/25 16:38:14 (permalink)
    I bet William "Ort." Carlton would know.  If it was ever sold in Georgia, he knows pretty much everything about it.  I haven't seen him post here in quite a long time, but you can probably drop him a line via Flagpole Magazine.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Tom Sawyer's Restaurant 2011/09/25 17:06:41 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup

I bet William "Ort." Carlton would know.  If it was ever sold in Georgia, he knows pretty much everything about it.  I haven't seen him post here in quite a long time, but you can probably drop him a line via Flagpole Magazine.

I know Ort (my Security guys were in charge of removing him from the UGA Main Libary when we closed at 2am--Ort was/is always the last guy out, typically) but I've never known him to speak of travels to south Georgia (Bainbridge is just 45 miles north of Tallahassee, FL--way south GA).  But I could be wrong.

I'm 99.9% sure the late Tom Sawyer's was a chain---it would have been obvious in Bainbridge if it were local and it Looked like a chain.  It just came and went so fast, nobody evidentally remembers it--even my wife and we ate there several times.

Ackman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:Tom Sawyer's Restaurant 2012/02/10 02:39:57 (permalink)
    There was a Tom Sawyer's in St. Charles,Mo on the outer road of I-70.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1