Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/23 17:44:07 (permalink)
Just found this, and it looks like a natural.  Whether on toast or not, I can go for this! 

Chef John Folse's All-Time Favorite Sandwich

4 slices of Creole tomatoes, 1/4-inch thick
2 tbsps mayonnaise
1 razor thin slice of a sweet Vidalia onion
1/8 tsp red wine vinegar
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
2 slices of white bread

Place 2 slices of white bread on a cutting board, topping each slice with a heaping spoonful of mayonnaise. Slather evenly across the bread. Place the 4 Creole tomato slices evenly from edge to edge over one of the bread slices. Drizzle the red wine vinegar over the tomatoes. Top with sliced onion and season to taste using salt and pepper. Cover with remaining slice of bread. Cut diagonally from end to end, wrap loosely in a double coating of paper towels to catch tomato drippings and bite down.  Chef Folse’s Note: I would recommend eating this sandwich alone...after all, it can become a bit messy!

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/24 16:38:27 (permalink)
Great idea..onions go great with tomatoes...we make a tomato salad with chopped tomatoes,onions, oil and balsamic vinegar...and eat it with crusty Italian bread(to dunk in the juice)...but this turns it into a sandwich...got to try it, perhaps even on thinly sliced Italian bread!!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/24 19:28:05 (permalink)
I make it as well. Occasionally I'll use different Vinegars just for variety and I also use Cavender's Greek Seasoning for a change of pace. http://www.greekseasoning.com/
carollwdls
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/24 20:49:52 (permalink)
Uuuummmm, I'm still enjoying the East Texas tomatoes, but have recently been enjoying a new bounty of Tennessee tomatoes too! They are bigger than the ET ones (PERFECT size to fill up a whole sandwich with one big juicy slice!) 

MellowRoast, I just hoped that if I waited long enough someone else would 'fess up to not liking fresh basil! I have felt soooo freakish and solitary in my aversion since I always thought I was the ONLY person on the whole planet that didn't love it. (& Go figure: I love cilantro, which is also a pungent herb that many people can't tolerate. So, why don't I relish basil?) Now I know I am NOT ALONE. Your slaw/tomato combo sounds wonderful; I will have to try it! Play27, I also find that my sandies start to disintegrate before I can finish them, but I DO love the challenge!  And Tiki: EXACT same except for toasted bread? You use Jane's too? 

Besides the sandwiches, I have been working on a Tomato/Hatch Chile savory pie that is turning out to be inspired. Pie crust on the bottom only (baked first so it will stay crispy), equalish components of chopped fresh tomatoes & HOT (Of COURSE!) Hatch chiles (drained in the collandar & hand squeezed to remove moisture), julienne slices of onion sauted until golden brown & whole roasted garlic cloves, fresh chopped Italian parsley & cilantro all mixed together and topped with a combo of creamy goat cheese, shredded Mexican white cheese & toasted pine nuts. My most recent version turned out fabulously! 
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 10:51:48 (permalink)
leethebard

Great idea..onions go great with tomatoes...we make a tomato salad with chopped tomatoes,onions, oil and balsamic vinegar...and eat it with crusty Italian bread(to dunk in the juice)...but this turns it into a sandwich...got to try it, perhaps even on thinly sliced Italian bread!!!

Sounds excellent.   Mercy me.
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 10:59:41 (permalink)
She, BlackQueen:  Coincidentally, you're the only other person I've run across with a distaste for fresh basil.  To me, however, it's just as pungent as cilantro.  Go figger!

There's no way to explain taste, though.   I don't like avocados, but I like guacamole.  When people make fun of that (as if I'm not aware of the connection), I name off all my friends who hate milk but love ice cream.   
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/08/25 12:17:33
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 12:21:55 (permalink)
Here's something else I often add to vegetable sandwiches, and it's great.  I peel a cucumber, slice it lengthwise into planks (similar to Claussen sandwich slices), and add a layer of them to a tomato-lettuce sandwich.  Very good.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/08/25 13:14:21
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 14:05:53 (permalink)
Had cucumber sandwiches in England..By itself a great sandwich with salt and pepper...would be great with a fresh tomato, also.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 16:14:42 (permalink)
MellowRoast

Here's something else I often add to vegetable sandwiches, and it's great.  I peel a cucumber, slice it lengthwise into planks (similar to Claussen sandwich slices), and add a layer of them to a tomato-lettuce sandwich.  Very good.

Same here.  I just did it today and yesterday.  I used honey wheat bread, alfalfa sprouts, good swiss cheese. Grainger county tomatoes, long sliced cucumbers, mayo, salt and pepper.

Great and refreshing and a super summer sandwich.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/25 16:18:32 (permalink)
Today I had a Tomato-Cream Cheese Sandwich. Spread 2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread with Generous amount of Cream Cheese and sliced tomato, S&P. Good Eats!
MellowRoast
Re:Tomato and Lettuce made with Our Garden Tomatoes 2010/08/26 09:22:10 (permalink)
The supply of Grainger County tomatoes here has been very meager this summer.  I really miss them.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1