Tommy's in North Brunswick?

Author
jimmygags
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2005/08/31 17:17:13 (permalink)

Tommy's in North Brunswick?

There's a diner across from ShopRite on 130 in North Brunswick, NJ that's been closed for awhile. Then, a few months ago, a sign was hung up that said something like "coming soon, Tommy's italian sausages, hot dogs and pizza". Does anyone know if this is related to Tommy's in Elizabeth or when it will open? I live about a mile from here, and everytime I drive by I keep hoping I'll see cars out front and an "open" sign.

9 Replies Related Threads

jimmygags
    Junior Burger
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2005/09/26 12:57:10 (permalink)
    if anyone cares, i drove by again this weekend and they have permanent signs up out front and by the road. it also says "tommy's south" and the sign says "since 1969", so i'm guessing it's related to the original tommy's. does anyone know for sure? and does the tommy's in elizabeth have pizza? i don't ever recall seeing that in all the mentions of it i've read on here.
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2005/09/27 20:04:50 (permalink)
    FLASH! I called Tommy's, Elizabeth, to confirm
    if they're opening a branch in North Brunswick. The fellow answered in the affirmative. He said

he expected it to be up and running in one month. Of course, I've learned over the years

to add a little time to such estimates. Eating a Tommy's Italian Hot Dog whilst SEATED INSIDE

a restaurant will be a new experience. It will be interesting to see what they charge for a double Italian Hot Dog.
    jimmygags
    Junior Burger
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2005/09/28 09:36:54 (permalink)
    thanks for the update. is pizza new to the menu? i've never heard anyone talk about their pizza before. i'm very curious to see how this place stacks up to the original.
    ScreenBear
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2005/09/28 19:38:21 (permalink)
    There is no pizza at the Elizabeth stand. Perhaps this will be a new wrinkle.
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2005/10/06 11:12:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmygags

There's a diner across from ShopRite on 130 in North Brunswick, NJ that's been closed for awhile.

Ah, that was once a very run-down, but classic, Silk City diner- The Liberty. http://www.dinercity.com/njDiner/centralNJ.html page down 'bout half way for an interior and exterior view. Then it was either moved or "renovated" beyond recognition, into this:
    http://tinyurl.com/bjx5b which, despite the review, I never found very good- and it was ugly inside, too, all Formica and mirrors.

I work nearby sometimes, and am looking forward to trying their dogs and sausage. We drive by every few weeks, looking for progress. Rt. 130 is getting to be a mini-hot dog tour site- with a truck a few miles south of Tommy's and an Italian Ice place less than a mile at Rt. 1 advertising hot dogs, as well.
    ScreenBear
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2006/04/20 18:19:20 (permalink)
    I'm told this Tommy's has opened. Any reviews?
    The Bear
    jimmygags
    Junior Burger
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2006/07/05 17:25:36 (permalink)
    Sorry, been away from the forum as I've had lots of work/family/health issues to deal with over the last few months......

Sadly, I've only been once so far and I went with the double sausage (hot) instead of a dog. I was going to grab one on the way out but decided against it since I ate too many fried potatoes (both mine and the Mrs'). I tried to get the wife to go for the hot dogs so I can sample, but she went with the single sweet sausage instead.

Not having anything to really compare it to, I thought it was very good. Lots of potatoes, and they were very very greasy. Next time I'll probably skip the potatoes. Anyone know if they're the same way at the original Tommy's?

The table next to us ordered pizza....looked pretty good. I can't imagine going there for pizza, though, unless I had something else. Maybe next trip I'll grab some pizza and a couple dogs.

Also noticed they sell sausage by the pound. I was thinking of getting some for my next BBQ, but I think it was around 15 bucks a pound.

Can anyone else tell us how this compares to the original?
    ScreenBear
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2006/07/05 22:50:06 (permalink)
    I visited Tommy's South (2320 Route #130, North, North Brunswick, N.J.) a few weeks ago and found virtually no difference from the Italian Hot Dogs served at Tommy's, Elizabeth. In other words, both stores serve a world class rendition of the genre.

Only now, because of the restaurant setting, you can actually sit and enjoy your Italian Hot Dog in comfort. Furthermore, because they serve pizza, a few Italian entrees, and some other sandwiches, your non-Italian Hot Dog-obsessed guest isn't limited to a choice between an Italian Hot Dog and a sausage sandwich.

P.S.-- I don't consider either venue's potatoes particularly greasy, at least not in the greater realm of this New Jersey delicacy.
    The Bear
    jimmygags
    Junior Burger
    RE: Tommy's in North Brunswick? 2006/07/06 09:55:45 (permalink)
    Forgot to mention in my previous post they have a website:

http://www.tommyssouth.com

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1