The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Tom's Drive-In (Fox Valley, WI)

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
Tom's Drive-In (Fox Valley, WI) Mon, 01/23/12 1:13 PM (permalink)
I'm headed to Appleton this weekend and am thinking about stopping at Tom's Drive-In, a chain of 7 fast-food restaurants in the Fox Valley.  It is what it is but I've never been to one and am a little curious to know how the burgers are.

Brad

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
    Re:Tom's Drive-In (Fox Valley, WI) Mon, 01/23/12 2:42 PM (permalink)
    Brad,  I think Tom's does a nice job w/ the burgers (and fish also) and is very consistent. My first time going was tough as their are no descriptions of the different burgers (Tominator, Big Tom, Works, etc.) so deciding is tough. A single unit JD's Drive In on St John St, Appleton (I believe was started by the same Tom's family) is a true throw back and most people swear by it over Tom's. My family agrees with that conclusion.  A newer place that does an excellent job on Chicago food is the "Taste of the Windy City" on Richmond St , Appleton. Italian Beefs, Vienna Chicago Dogs, and an insane "Windy City" char burger w/ L,T,O,Cheese,Mayo, and loads of Gyro meat on top....a heartstopper. I hope this helps some.
    Chris

ScreamingChicken

Re:Tom's Drive-In (Fox Valley, WI) Mon, 01/23/12 3:28 PM (permalink)
      Thanks, Chris.  If I make it to Tom's I'll probably just have a simple cheeseburger, as I'm thinking about hitting one of the Menasha locations and will have made at least one lunch stop prior to that.  Taste of the Windy City sounds interesting and as some of our group come up from the Chicago area that might be a possibility for one of the open meal slots for the weekend, especially since it's close to where we'll be at.

JD's has sponsored an opposing trivia team in the past so I don't know if I could in good conscience eat there.

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
        Re:Tom's Drive-In (Fox Valley, WI) Mon, 01/23/12 7:35 PM (permalink)
        Brad, Also Windy City does the best version of a Philly Chessesteak in the midwest. My wife is from the Radnor/mainline area of Philadelphia and if you order the Steak and Cheese 12 inch NO lett, tom, mayo....grilled onions,  mushrooms, and cheese only it's very good. Chris

ScreamingChicken

Re:Tom's Drive-In (Fox Valley, WI) Sat, 01/28/12 9:35 AM (permalink)
          I had a Tom's cheeseburger yesterday and for a chain burger it was pretty good, as it came hot off the grill and the bun was lightly toasted.  Not that I make trips to the Fox Valley expressly for fast food but if I was in the area and needed a quick bite Tom's would solve the problem.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
            Re:Tom's Drive-In (Fox Valley, WI) Mon, 01/30/12 2:06 AM (permalink)
            Toms is pretty good. Started in 1960 with a liottle stand and it grew to what it is now. Taste of the Windy City is a wonderful place. There are 2 of them. One on Richmond Street appleton and one in Little Chute on country road N. JDs is an institution also.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com