The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tonali -Great Mexican

steveindurham

• Total Posts: 138
Tonali -Great Mexican Thu, 08/2/07 3:00 PM (permalink)
Went to Tonali in Durham last night with a group of 18. Everything was outstanding. We shared plates so I got to try a little of bit of everything. Very reasonable prices as well. I recommend everyone going and supporting this place. Servings are very large as others have mentioned. Here goes the menu from last night:

1st course
Salad with local farm organic mix greens with jicama, avocado and a papaya chile vinaigrette . An outstanding salad.

The soup was a shrimp and dungess crab meat bisque with yellow queen roasted corn and lobster oil. This bisque was full of shrimp and crab meat and was out of this world.

There were 5 entree choices. I sampled 3 - paella, vegetable quesadilla and chile relleno but I'll list all 5 here.

Did not try but looked great and the people who got it were pleased - Free range chicken breast wih organic mash potatoes with quelites (spinach with beans) and veracruz mole sauce

Also there was a pork special with kidney beans and other vegetables - it was the special so I didn't get the run down on this dsh.

Tried the follwoing which were all great:

Paella with NC shrimp, salmon and mussels with spanish rice and homemade chorizo. This was an outstanding dish in every way.

Chille relleno - poblano pepper with red flannel potatoes and Elodie white farmers cheese in a cascabel sauce (which is a small hot pepper)

Quesadilla de vegetables - Squash blossoms and grilled vegetable quesadilla with requeson (Spanish cheese) and green tomatillo salsa.

The chille relleno and quesadilla were great as well.

Didn't try dessert but they were offering Creme brulee con cajeta de celaya whic can be translated in google. Kind of cinammon mixture from what I can tell.

The other offering was a choclote brioche cake with piloncillo (mexican dark brown sugar)
anglaise and bananas flambe.

It was great evening and I recommend people supporting this place. Andre (the owner/chef) is really putting out amazing food at very reasonable prices.

abowes

• Total Posts: 21
    RE: Tonali -Great Mexican Thu, 08/2/07 3:15 PM (permalink)
    I love love love this place. The menu you list, Steve, is different from what I had there just a couple weeks ago, so it looks like he's getting better at changing the menu frequently (which was his goal all along). I'm going next Thursday, and can't hardly wait.

The food and the chef are both absolute enchanting.

BTW, this is Durham, North Carolina (in case there are others), and Tonali is at
    3642 Shannon Rd # 1
    Durham, NC 27707
    (919) 489-8000

Early on, service was a major snafu, but they've got it under control now.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com