Tonight is the worst night for restaurants.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
2006/02/14 08:35:16 (permalink)

Tonight is the worst night for restaurants.

Valentines Day.

Jerks who eat out w/ their family three times a year will cram your places ( makes me glad to be retired from it).

They will stiff the wait staff.

They will demand extra everything and not touch it.

They will be rude, demanding and offensive.

You will consume w/ your staff at least two stiff ones at the end.

30 Replies Related Threads

garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 09:07:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Valentines Day.

Jerks who eat out w/ their family three times a year will cram your places ( makes me glad to be retired from it).

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother's day is almost as bad!
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1971
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 09:09:49 (permalink)
    I don't understand this (I don't disagree, I just didn't know). Isn't any holiday that fills restaurants on a Tuesday night a good thing? The places around here advertise like they want the Valentine trade.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 09:28:01 (permalink)
    Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that this is the worst day to be a server. I can't think of anything that could be bad for an owner about having a packed restaurant on a Tuesday night.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 09:29:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

I don't understand this (I don't disagree, I just didn't know). Isn't any holiday that fills restaurants on a Tuesday night a good thing? The places around here advertise like they want the Valentine trade.

I think You are looking at it as a the owner of the business wouldd look at it.

I am looking as it as a regular customer.

We just have 2 different opinions and that is what made this country so GREAT!!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6763
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 09:36:05 (permalink)
    It's what we call "Amateur Night".........and ranks right up in there with New Year's Eve. We are completely sold out. One guy called yesterday and asked for a reservation to which I politely replied, "we are booked, I'm sorry". So he says, "If I pay you extra cash, can you get me in?" Now I'm cracking up, thinking ok, the extra cash would be nice, I could put you in the parking lot, in my office or in the employee's bathroom!

Fortunately I no longer have to deal with these nit-wits since I just deal with ditzy flight attendents (don't know which is worse!)
    V960
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 10:02:50 (permalink)
    I think my comment comes from going from the grunt at the bottom to the owner. Ileechef's comment about amateur night is much more accurate than mine.

People who whistle at servers to get their attention. People who ask for ALL the sauces to try them. I want the dessert to be free...it's Valentines day(actually a common request).

My family will visit our fav restaurant on Friday (got to give them some rest) and I will be a pain. Everyone expects it and will have fun.

"I asked for lime, not lemon!!"

"Cornbread...not french bread!!!!"

"This draft beer isn't full"

"The vegies are overcooked/undercooked"
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 10:41:53 (permalink)
    As a diner, it's also the worst night of the year. For some reason, even top notch restaurants put out sub-par fare on Valentine's Day, and the service generally sucks.

A couple of years ago we invited a group of 8 out to one of our favorite high-end Mexican restaurants. The dinner was absolute crap, we barely saw our server, and we were embarassed. We never went back, even though we had had several good dinners in prior visits.

Sounds like a bad night all around. Restaurants putting out minimal effort, poor service, and lesser food for annoying diners.

We're fortunate enough to go to our club nowdays for Valentine's Day. We know the servers, and they know all the members, so it's just like any other night.

porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 11:23:10 (permalink)
    After reading some of the above "professional" comments, I'm not surprised that 29% of us (according to the latest Roadfood survey) chose to celebrate by having a romantic dinner at home. pb
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 11:26:57 (permalink)
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

After reading some of the above "professional" comments, I'm not surprised that 29% of us (according to the latest Roadfood survey) chose to celebrate by having a romantic dinner at home. pb
    [

I stay home know and make my wife a romatic dinner.

Also 20 something years ago, I did the same thing, on New Years Eve. The other different then, that was the only night I didn't go out and drink, I stay home and I let the amature drunks drink on New Year's!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15235
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 12:29:07 (permalink)

I will be in class tonight from 6-9PM...but will stop at Graeters Ice Cream on the way home to get their Two-for-One Sundaes to take home (in a rush). We can celebrate a bit late in the evening and still make it worth while.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 12:40:41 (permalink)
    I lucked out on Valentine's Day. The last 2 restaurants where I was the chef filled up with regulars who always took care of the waitstaff, and the losers were infrequent.( But everyone remember who they were) I got to make great specials and a prix fixe menu paired with wines. The kitchen staff enjoyed the night as well. On the other hand, we started dreading Mother's Day in April! Now I don't cook in a restaurant, so we do parties the weekend before Valentine's Day, but nothing tonight because everyone is going out. I get to stay home with my husband and make a great dinner for the 2 of us.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 13:51:12 (permalink)
    I hardly consider myself an amateur at eating out, and I have gone out on the actual V-day. I have never recieved bad service, nor bad food. In fact I usually pick a new place, and end up going back multiple times during the course of the year.

However, when v-day is on a weeknight, we usually go out the saturday night before. Too tiring to work all day, then go out like that. This year we went to a new place and it was outstanding.

When I was in college, i took my wife, then girlfriend out on Saturday for a great dinner. V-day was on Tuesday that year as well I beleive. We had a late night class on tuesday and were so tired, we just decided to grab a drink and a snack at a chain. It was TGI Friday's. We totally forgot that it was valentine's day and this place was jam packed! We could not believe it.

Anyway, a word to those chefs and servers out there. While you will deal with your fill of amateurs, there are plenty of people who get it when it comes to eating out. They will be out there too. I hope you can differentiate.
    V960
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 14:03:15 (permalink)
    Being stuck in the office today I've ragged a few friends in the trade by asking for reservations. I didn't do it during busy times or be my usual jerk self, just had fun. Everyone is booked w/ 75% unknowns. My fav place knew my voice right off and played me.
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 14:21:43 (permalink)
    I suppose it comes down to the end of the night receipts, and the sound of a ringing cash register. JMHO
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 14:36:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

It's what we call "Amateur Night".........and ranks right up in there with New Year's Eve.

You just took the words right out of my mouth, as a patron, though. We never go out on these holidays. I find it much better making a special meal at home and saving our dining out for not such a stressful occasion.

Tonight we're treating ourselves to a cheese and fruit platter, with a good crusty bread and olive oil for dipping. Chocolate fondue for dessert. Putting on the silky PJ's, starting a fire and cuddling with Bob and the mutt. That's my idea of the perfect V'day. I'm also picking up a couple of bottles of "more than I'd usually spend" wines to sample. Actually, Lleechef, I read where you have recommended a Rodney Strong Pino Noir...it's on my list

Whatever you all do - I hope you have a wonderful night, regardless! Sue
    V960
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 15:16:00 (permalink)
    Roasting a split chicken over cornbread dressing, glazed carrots, Gratin Dauphinois Madam Cartet (from P. Well's Bistro Cooking and yeast rolls. A Kistler Chard may find its way out of the cellar.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 15:27:45 (permalink)
    We're not doing it this year, but several years we have gone to Main Street Grill here in Round Rock on Valentine's Day.

They have a special menu for the night, and it's reservation-only. Pay a set price per person, then choose from the limited menu.

http://mainstreetgrill.citysearch.com/page/1a1xt/St__Valentine_s_Day_Menu.html#

Works out great, and we always had a great meal. It must work for the restaurant, too, because they offer it every year.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/14 19:11:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Valentines Day.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother's day is almost as bad!

Double Amen... Not sure which is really worse, Mothers Day or Valentines Day, But I lean towards Mothers day..
    (and the stiff ones at the end is correct--or more)
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/15 01:25:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

I suppose it comes down to the end of the night receipts, and the sound of a ringing cash register. JMHO

That's true for any business on any given day.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/15 02:01:44 (permalink)
    I'm the son of a chef who owned restaurants while I was growing up, and I certainly sympathize with everyone who works these special days when people's demands can be out of control.

But, I really wonder about that moniker "Amateur's Night." Because quite frankly, I have seen enough "amateur" behavior among clientele on "off" nights in fairly upscale places here in Manhattan. This would include boorish behavior, whining, and unreasonable demands on both waitstaff and chefs from people who have serious issues with "entitlement;" in other words, just because they received that massive bonus at work, or they are "professionals," they expect every little whim of theirs to be attended to.

I can't imagine what these people are like on busy nights like Valentine's, New Year's (because I refuse to go out on these nights) because they are bad enough during the rest of the year.
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/15 08:43:11 (permalink)
    Huge lunch yesterday, redhatters and bridge clubs, mostly women who have lost their husbands. Total dinner count was 320 with only one or two small problems, a credit card that was overlimit and a 14oz well done "prime" sirloin that was overdone! A great Valentines Day for the entire house!

Around here we appreciate those "jerks" who eat out with their families three times a year, we try to educate them and make them our "jerks".

Our "hardcore" regulars scheduled early or late reservations and still had great things to say about the evening, especially about the "Specials" that made the volume seem like a normal night. We ran some great wines at a 40% discount, for those who know, and that really made some of the regular diners appreciate a later dining hour.

V960
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/15 08:50:35 (permalink)
    Dogmeat,
    Congrats...some places make it work and it sounds like your V'day was a good one.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/15 10:01:30 (permalink)
    A favorite restaraunt of mine has turned this evening into an event not to be missed. It is by invitation only first come first served type deal, RSVP required. They invite only their better coustomers and have a set menu with wine pairings, small gift for the ladys {rose and small box of Godiva chocolates} and a 3 pc. combo. It's a great take unfortunately I was unable to attend this year, I hope I don't get dropped from the list for next year. Chow Jim
    V960
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/15 10:40:47 (permalink)
    Chow Jim,
    I'm impressed. Keep out the riff-raff, let the regulars eat out on V'day (I haven't been out to eat on V'day in twenty years plus) and fill the store. This owner is a jewel.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1971
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/16 10:37:12 (permalink)
    I went to a local favorite place Racha Thai, Rt 20, Worcester Mass for takeout. We are regulars there, so the staff knows me. I got to wait near the cash register for a half hour or so. They were very busy. The manager (owner?) and her small staff handled the situation with grace and efficiency.

She did not answer the phone. After noting the situation for some time, I started to check the time between calls. It never got over 15 seconds. The crowd in the small lobby remained at 2 or 3 couples the whole time I was there. Most seemed to be regulars. Each was greeted and told "sorry, I'll seat you soon". Several couples quietly left while I was there.

The food was as usual, excellent, and I did not hear a raised voice by staff or customers the whole time I was there. I hope that they did well.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6763
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/16 19:59:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

quote:

It's what we call "Amateur Night".........and ranks right up in there with New Year's Eve.

You just took the words right out of my mouth, as a patron, though. We never go out on these holidays. I find it much better making a special meal at home and saving our dining out for not such a stressful occasion.

Tonight we're treating ourselves to a cheese and fruit platter, with a good crusty bread and olive oil for dipping. Chocolate fondue for dessert. Putting on the silky PJ's, starting a fire and cuddling with Bob and the mutt. That's my idea of the perfect V'day. I'm also picking up a couple of bottles of "more than I'd usually spend" wines to sample. Actually, Lleechef, I read where you have recommended a Rodney Strong Pino Noir...it's on my list

Whatever you all do - I hope you have a wonderful night, regardless! Sue

We had some stir-fry vegatables and some basmati rice, gave the cat some kibbles and said "Happy Valentine's Day".

I find that Rodney Strong makes one of the BEST Pinot Noirs on the planet. Feel free to disagree. But we love it.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/17 08:27:43 (permalink)
    We had the most romantic pepperoni pizza and chicken wings we ever ordered and tipped the delivery boy three dollars...
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/17 13:41:48 (permalink)
    quote:

Fortunately I no longer have to deal with these nit-wits since I just deal with ditzy flight attendents (don't know which is worse!)

from a husband of a 20 year seniority, non-ditz FA, I think it's the cheap pilots you have to worry about. Although not all are cheap, but we've run into enough to not get in the way of them if there is change on the floor.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Tonight is the worst night for restaurants. 2006/02/17 14:08:05 (permalink)

I find that Rodney Strong makes one of the BEST Pinot Noirs on the planet. Feel free to disagree. But we love it.

I was very disappointed that our local discount liquor store did not carry the Pinot Noir - BUT I was able to get the Rodney Strong Cabernet Sauvignon (sp?)- it was excellent! I can't wait to try the Pino Noir - You have awesome taste - I'm sure there won't be any disagreement!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1