Tony Packo's

Author
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
2005/04/09 14:16:38 (permalink)

Tony Packo's

What is this joint all about. I bought a can of their chili the other day, and I past a few of their resturants in Toledo,Ohio.

11 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Tony Packo's 2005/04/09 15:54:08 (permalink)
    It is a restaurant made famous by the TV series MASH. Great Hungarian hotdogs, chili and a relish tray. It is considerably more upscale that what it use to be.

Personally, I really enjoy their product. I have only visited their original location.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Tony Packo's 2005/04/11 03:04:42 (permalink)
    The Sweet Hot pickles and peppers are awesome. We have a Bigg's near where I work and I frequently make 3am runs to it for the express purpose of Sweet Hots. (I kill off a jar a week.)
    map822
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Tony Packo's 2005/09/12 10:47:13 (permalink)
    You sound rather stressed.

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Tony Packo's 2005/09/14 06:58:07 (permalink)
    I had dinner last night at thye original location. A really neat place. Open since 1932 it's been a favorite location over the years and was made famous by Jamie Farr, known as Klinger on the MASH TV show. Jamie Farr grew up in the neighborhood and got permission to mention it on the show. Burt Reynolds was first celebrity to show up after this happened. The story is that Tony P was so surprised to see him that he grabbed the closest thing he could find to autograph and it happened to be a hot dog bun. Since then hundreds of celebrities have visited and the walls are covered with autographed hot dog buns.
    I had a stuffed cabbage roll, sausage, and chicken paprikas and they were all quite good. The fried pickles were some of the best I've had. Large selection of beer on tap and Toledo Mud Hens ball games on the TV.
    Antihound
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Tony Packo's 2005/09/28 03:39:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Burt Reynolds was first celebrity to show up after this happened. The story is that Tony P was so surprised to see him that he grabbed the closest thing he could find to autograph and it happened to be a hot dog bun. Since then hundreds of celebrities have visited and the walls are covered with autographed hot dog buns.
    I had a stuffed cabbage roll, sausage, and chicken paprikas and they were all quite good. The fried pickles were some of the best I've had. Large selection of beer on tap and Toledo Mud Hens ball games on the TV.

I asked about the autographed hot dog buns since bread doesn't last forever. They said the hot dog buns are actually styrofoam. That way the autographs last.

BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Tony Packo's 2005/10/04 20:15:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wallyum

The Sweet Hot pickles and peppers are awesome. We have a Bigg's near where I work and I frequently make 3am runs to it for the express purpose of Sweet Hots. (I kill off a jar a week.)

Yes, the sweet hot's are great and the original recipe isn't at all bad either. Another thing to look out for is Tony Packo's Chili Recipe. This isn't the can of chili referred to in waffle's original post, but a jar of sauce that you combine with some browned ground beef, kidney beans and a very small can of tomato juice (and some additional chili powder and/or red pepper, if you prefer). No, it's not as good as your favorite recipe, but it's pretty good. Especially on a winter Sunday night when I don't feel like preparing anything that's not real simple and quick. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in the Cinti. area at all, so I usually pick up several jars when I visit my mom in Toledo.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10178
    RE: Tony Packo's 2006/07/20 08:14:46 (permalink)
    Just about everything I have had at Tony Packo's has been very good. But for me, their standout dish is the German Potato Salad. I usually had two or three sides of it whenever I am there. Quite possibly the best I have ever had, except for my grandmother's, of course. I also appreciate it being so conveniently located right off I-280.
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Tony Packo's 2006/08/21 00:05:40 (permalink)

Hola!

If I was to ever be in Toledo, Ohio, this would be the only place I would go to. What else is there?

Jamie Farr was really from Toledo. He must of loved that place, loved it so much that he gave it free advertising on MASH, even at the end of one episode when Hawkeye, BJ, Klinger chowing down on the dogs in the Swamp.

Senor
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Tony Packo's 2006/08/21 07:25:27 (permalink)
    Packo's is a definate must if you are in Toledo. I was there just a few months ago and I had two of their hot dogs and a bowl of their chili. It is spicy but very good.

This visit was probably about the sixth time I have been there. I have only been to their original location. They have several others. They are probably just as good but the atmosphere could not be.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ashd8516
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Tony Packo's 2006/10/09 14:41:10 (permalink)
    All of the original autographs were on actual hotdog buns but after a few started to become moldy and disintegrate, they switched over to the styrofoam. All of the people who signed an actual bun then volunteered to come back and sign a styrofoam bun.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10178
    RE: Tony Packo's 2006/10/23 08:06:03 (permalink)
    I ate at Tony Packo's for about the fifth time on Saturday night and I have to say once again how much I like this place. I had two chili dogs, which were even better than I remember, a double order of the German Potato salad and a side of the paprikas dumplings with the sauce over them. Outstanding meal! My dining companion, a buddy who is notorious for being a picky eater really liked the place, too, especially the hot pickles. I also brought a half dozen cans of the chili home.

The only complaint, which obviously isn't their fault, was how difficult it was to get there, since portions of I-280 are closed right now.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1