The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Too many pecans?

Author Message
tmiles

  • Total Posts: 1908
  • Joined: 10/1/2004
  • Location: Millbury, MA
Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 12:42 PM (permalink)
I will be making a pecan pie to bring to Thanksgiving. It has always been a hit, and it has been especially requested by my nephew. My question is there any such thing as too many pecans? What happens if I add 3 or 4 cups instead of 2?
 
#1
    aleswench

    • Total Posts: 686
    • Joined: 2/18/2004
    • Location: Franklin, NJ
    RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 1:28 PM (permalink)
    I always put more in mine, as well. The big difference is that you don't get as much of a pecan-free filling on the bottom. I guess it depends on what kind of texture you want. I am a total nut "nut", so I like a little more. Happy Baking!
     
    #2
      Ralph Isbill

      • Total Posts: 185
      • Joined: 8/25/2000
      • Location: Midwest City, OK
      RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 1:42 PM (permalink)
      I always say "more is better"!
       
      #3
        Jennifer_4

        • Total Posts: 1508
        • Joined: 9/19/2000
        • Location: Fresno, CA
        RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 1:47 PM (permalink)
        I love nuts myself, so I like more than usual.
         
        #4
          Lucky Bishop

          • Total Posts: 1049
          • Joined: 6/9/2003
          • Location: Allston, MA
          RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 3:00 PM (permalink)
          Nope. I'm all about the filling. There needs to be a layer of pecans on the top, then a nice dense caramelly filling on the bottom.
           
          #5
            Sundancer7

            RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 3:04 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

            Nope. I'm all about the filling. There needs to be a layer of pecans on the top, then a nice dense caramelly filling on the bottom.


            The Sundancer agrees. I like the pecans on top and the filling is like candy. It is especially good after the Thanksgiving dinner. Raid the kitchen and have a slice of great pecan pie cold. You could nuke it but regardless, it is good. Unfortunately due to the Atkins thing, my ingestion is limited.

            Nothing like a hot pecan pie with some vanilla ice cream on top.

            Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN
             
            #6
              lleechef

              • Total Posts: 6217
              • Joined: 3/22/2003
              • Location: Gahanna, OH
              RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 8:43 PM (permalink)
              I have always preached to my cooks: MORE IS NOT BETTER!!!!! If the recipe calls for 2 cups and you feel like 2 1/2 cups, fine, but I sure as heck would not DOUBLE the quantity of pecans! Now you're making baked nuts as opposed to pie!
               
              #7
                Ralph Isbill

                • Total Posts: 185
                • Joined: 8/25/2000
                • Location: Midwest City, OK
                RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 9:16 PM (permalink)
                I just said more is better, not to go crazy. There is always the fact,you can get too much of a good thing.
                 
                #8
                  Adjudicator

                  • Total Posts: 5055
                  • Joined: 5/20/2003
                  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                  RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 9:27 PM (permalink)
                  Pecans, in general, are too good to be wasted on just one pie... My opinion; stick to the original recipe. Use the extras to make some toasted Cajun style munchies. Whatever...
                   
                  #9
                    Adjudicator

                    • Total Posts: 5055
                    • Joined: 5/20/2003
                    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                    RE: Too many pecans? Tue, 11/23/04 9:31 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by lleechef

                    I have always preached to my cooks: MORE IS NOT BETTER!!!!! If the recipe calls for 2 cups and you feel like 2 1/2 cups, fine, but I sure as heck would not DOUBLE the quantity of pecans! Now you're making baked nuts as opposed to pie!


                    Hmmm. I thought Justin W. always said "'moe is 'betta"...

                     
                    #10
                      Sundancer7

                      RE: Too many pecans? Wed, 11/24/04 1:07 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by lleechef

                      I have always preached to my cooks: MORE IS NOT BETTER!!!!! If the recipe calls for 2 cups and you feel like 2 1/2 cups, fine, but I sure as heck would not DOUBLE the quantity of pecans! Now you're making baked nuts as opposed to pie!


                      When you cook like the Sundancer does, it is for consumption only. when you cook like lleechef, it is a art form and just as creative. Anticipating what the final result is and watching it materialize is a work of art.

                      Lisa, nice comment on the baked nuts vs. pecan pie. Too many nuts () spoil the pie or something like that

                      Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN
                       
                      #11
                        BT

                        • Total Posts: 3589
                        • Joined: 7/3/2004
                        • Location: San Francisco, CA
                        RE: Too many pecans? Wed, 11/24/04 8:08 PM (permalink)
                        Use more! Eat a few handfulls while making the pies! Give 'em to friends!

                        BT (in beautiful Green Valley, AZ where commercial production of pecans is the only real "industry")
                         
                        #12
                          BT

                          • Total Posts: 3589
                          • Joined: 7/3/2004
                          • Location: San Francisco, CA
                          RE: Too many pecans? Wed, 11/24/04 8:11 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by lleechef

                          I sure as heck would not DOUBLE the quantity of pecans! Now you're making baked nuts as opposed to pie!


                          Hmmm. I understand your point, but "baked nuts" sounds like an improvement over the tooth-achingly sweet gunk found under the nuts in some commercial pecan pies.

                          And by the way, I really LOVE a GOOD pecan pie!
                           
                          #13
                            Adjudicator

                            • Total Posts: 5055
                            • Joined: 5/20/2003
                            • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                            RE: Too many pecans? Wed, 11/24/04 8:24 PM (permalink)
                            Another hijacked 'cipe. Don't waste 2 many pecans in a pie. (BTW: correct pronunciation of pecans in southern lingo is "PEE-cans" ;)

                            Cajun Spiced Pecans

                            Servings:
                            2 persons (HA! ;)

                            Time to make:
                            15 minutes

                            INGREDIENTS:

                            * 2 tbsp unsalted butter
                            * 3 cup pecan halves
                            * 1/2 cup light brown sugar
                            * 1 tsp paprika
                            * 2 tsp powdered Chile
                            * 1 tbsp ground cumin
                            * 1/4 cup cider vinegar
                            * Salt

                            STEP BY STEP:

                            1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet
                            2. Add the pecans and saute until lightly browned, about 3 minutes
                            3. Add the brown sugar and cook until caramelized. Stir in the paprika, chile powder and cumin
                            4. Add the vinegar and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt
                            5. Spread the pecans on a cookie sheet and bake in an oven until crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
                            6. (Optional) Before serving, sprinkle generously with powderded cayenne pepper. ;)

                             
                            #14
                              BT

                              • Total Posts: 3589
                              • Joined: 7/3/2004
                              • Location: San Francisco, CA
                              RE: Too many pecans? Wed, 11/24/04 8:40 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Adjudicator

                              Another hijacked 'cipe. Don't waste 2 many pecans in a pie. (BTW: correct pronunciation of pecans in southern lingo is "PEE-cans" ;)

                              Cajun Spiced Pecans

                              Servings:
                              2 persons (HA! ;)

                              Time to make:
                              15 minutes

                              INGREDIENTS:

                              * 2 tbsp unsalted butter
                              * 3 cup pecan halves
                              * 1/2 cup light brown sugar
                              * 1 tsp paprika
                              * 2 tsp powdered Chile
                              * 1 tbsp ground cumin
                              * 1/4 cup cider vinegar
                              * Salt

                              STEP BY STEP:

                              1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet
                              2. Add the pecans and saute until lightly browned, about 3 minutes
                              3. Add the brown sugar and cook until caramelized. Stir in the paprika, chile powder and cumin
                              4. Add the vinegar and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt
                              5. Spread the pecans on a cookie sheet and bake in an oven until crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
                              6. (Optional) Before serving, sprinkle generously with powderded cayenne pepper. ;)




                              Question (since this sounds good and I may try it): the recipe calls for (variously) "powdered Chile" and "chile powder". Is this true powdered (ground) chiles such as New Mexico or is this commercial chili powder (which has lots of stuff in it besides powdered chiles)?
                              At least in my area, pure powdered chiles of various sorts are readily available, but when I see "chile" or "chili" powder in most recipes, I think they mean the commercial stuff for making Tex-Mex "chili". So I'm not sure which this uses and the results could be very different if you use the wrong one.
                               
                              #15
                                EdSails

                                • Total Posts: 3555
                                • Joined: 5/9/2003
                                • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                RE: Too many pecans? Wed, 11/24/04 9:23 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by BT

                                Use more! Eat a few handfulls while making the pies! Give 'em to friends!

                                BT (in beautiful Green Valley, AZ where commercial production of pecans is the only real "industry")


                                They're going in my suffing/dressing too!
                                 
                                #16
                                  Emerald

                                  • Total Posts: 27
                                  • Joined: 4/29/2004
                                  • Location: Bisbee, AZ
                                  RE: Too many pecans? Sat, 01/15/05 12:33 AM (permalink)
                                  I'm considering using agave syrup instead of Karo or brown sugar in a pecan pie. Has anyone else tried that? It tastes a lot like brown sugar but has a nicer after-effect. I look forward to having xtra pecans in it since it isn't called pecan pie for nothing....not a candy pie topped with pecans.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                    Jump to:

                                    Current active users

                                    There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                    Icon Legend and Permission

                                    • New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

                                    2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com