Top 10 Breakfast Places

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/04/18 20:34:01 (permalink)
gotta be the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge, TN for their totally country breakfast with their apple fitters, apple/pineapple drink and their totally wholesome breakfast.

Best in the USA

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/04/18 20:38:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

gotta be the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge, TN for their totally country breakfast with their apple fitters, apple/pineapple drink and their totally wholesome breakfast.

Best in the USA

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

This place is too much like a Cracker Barrel Restaurant as far as I am concerned.
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/04/18 21:34:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7gotta be the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge, TN for their totally country breakfast with their apple fitters, apple/pineapple drink and their totally wholesome breakfast.

Best in the USA

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
This place is too much like a Cracker Barrel Restaurant as far as I am concerned.
NOWI'm sold!
Sera B
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/20 16:58:09 (permalink)
Mickey's diner in ST. Paul, MN they have fantastic omelettes, they're so huge
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10083
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/20 17:28:59 (permalink)
SeraB-
I sure did enjoy my ham & cheese omelet at Mickey's...

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Photo.aspx?RefID=225&PhotoID=9343

but my favorite thing about the place is the beautiful art deco dining car.
timmmahhhh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/22 00:45:20 (permalink)
I've only been there once many years ago, but one of the nicest breakfast experiences I've had was at Cindy's Diner in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. It is a vintage streamline moderne diner where just about every seat in this fairly small place is at the fairly long counter. I believe they have outdoor seating in the warmer months, mannly because the interior is so small. I had the Garbage omelet, yes one of thise everything in it you can imagine onelets, very good. I looked it up and it is still there and getting great reviews.

As for fancy breakfast the best I've had is Mader's Sunday Brunch in downtown Milwaukee. Unbelievable. Salmon, pork, caviar, oh yeah, and eggs! Maybe enev steak I don't remmeber but just about anything you've heard about eating for breakfast they have on their buffet. It was $25/person when we did it so it's not something you do every day, but the days you do, oh man!

I've been to Apple Holler south of the city as someone else mentioned. That is a great place especially good if you want to do some apple picking afterward.

We live in Glen Ellyn, Illinois and recommend the Glen Oak restaurant downtown, good variety. A chain but a good one for breakfast is Grandma Sally's on Roosevelt, love their Gramma's Benedict with corned beef hash, yum!!! In Evanston the Dixie Kitchen has a great brunch. I hope to get to Ann Sather's someday, heard nothing but good things about their breakfasts.
razz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/22 02:38:31 (permalink)
Hooray for places in AZ!

In no particular order:
1. I love Harlow's Cafe in Phoenix, too, but really miss its sister spot, Mae West. This would be my number 1 and 2.
2. I agree--Chompies in Tempe deserves a happy mention!
3. Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles in Phoenix is fabulous, especially if I can beat the crowds!
4. Grill in Tucson, open 24 hours, has mind-boggling pancakes.
5. The Cantina in San Diego for breakfast burritos, and I do love my breakfast burritos!
6. Frontier in ABQ, NM, for all things Mex-inspired breafasty.

And last year, I took my first trip to New England--the land of awesome diners:
7. Chelsea Royal Diner in Vermont.
8. Fillin' Station Diner, Whatley, Mass.
9. 108 Chelsea Station, South Royalton, VT.
10.Bluebonnet in Northampton, Mass.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/22 07:52:33 (permalink)
Big Ed's in downtown Raleigh,North Carolina
WIBEARFAN
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/29 11:55:53 (permalink)
I too love the Waffle house. I only able to get that when
I go down South for a NASCAR race..
airedale2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/29 13:06:25 (permalink)
My faves in no particular order:

Lynn's Paradise Cafe - Louisville
Flying Biscuit - Atlanta
Bob Evans - Anywhere
Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles - Long Beach, CA
Gaffey's Diner - San Pedro, CA
Loveless Cafe - Nashville
Monell's - Nashville
Hash House A Go Go - San Diego
Blue Heaven - Key West, FL
Keo's - Honolulu, HI
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/29 13:37:50 (permalink)
===Keo's - Honolulu, HI===

I was on the island in November and plan on going there this Christmas. The name sure rings a bell, but I do not know how I missed it. One reason is that I discovered a place in Honolulu called Eggs n Things. I have eaten at some of the places listed. I have won awards for my breakfasts. This place is the best that I have ever been to for breakfast. For me, one of the best breakfasts in the whole nation isn't even on the mainland.

http://www.eggsnthings.com/

mark
aako
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/05/31 19:17:26 (permalink)
Fremont, CA has this great little place called "Country Way" that I have been going to for years.
Huge omelets, awesome biscuits and gravy (when they aren't sold out of them), and quick service.

All the waitstaff has been with them for years and years. They don't have a microwave in the building, it's griddle, oven, or nothing. Neat place.
MissJohnnycakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/06/03 18:06:57 (permalink)
I second the Original Pancake House (the one closest to me is in Denver). Everything made from scratch, top-flight ingredients, cooked perfectly. No other buttermilk pancakes even come close to theirs, and I'm not a pancake fan. I just wish they were open for dinner, that's how good their breakfasts are!

Ditto for Alpenglow in Bend, OR. Great thick chewy slices of bacon from Deschutes Valley porkers are just one example of their "cook local foods" emphasis.

Lucile's, in Boulder, also serves great breakfasts, Cajun-style.

The lines on weekend mornings at all of these places tells the story.

There was an incredible restaurant on the southern NH/northern MA line that specialized in seasonal fruit pancakes, whose name I unfortunately have forgotten. That was many years ago, though...
skrecklo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/06/04 21:58:32 (permalink)
My personal favs:

1. Skylark Diner, Edison, NJhttp://www.skylarkdiner.com/
2. Tokio Weigh Station, Tokio, WA
3. Doug Fir Lounge, Portland, OR [url]www.dougfirlounge.com/[/url]
4. Brite Spot, Echo Park, L.A., CA http://clearwaterst.com/britespot/
5. Aunties and Uncles, Toronto, ON
7. Pancake Pantry, Nashville, TN http://www.pancakepantry.com/
8. Noshville, Nashville, TN http://www.noshville.com/
9. Dutch Wooden Shoe Cafe, Vancouver BC

enjoy!

Steve

http://www.breakfastwithsteve.com
http://nicegrapes.com
rubz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/06/06 09:44:33 (permalink)
Hell's Kitchen- Minneapolis MN Will also be on my top 10 list for 2006- The Porridge and Pepper n Garlic infused Buffalo sausage had my taste buds singing.
PamF
Junior Burger
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/07/14 11:42:55 (permalink)
Thunder Valley B&B - Wisconsin Dells, WI - from the fluffiest omellete I've ever had to the home made bread and jam!

Busy Bee Cafe - Cheyenne, WY - don't even know if it still exists but it was one of the best grills (no tables) I've eaten at.

Lou Mitchell's - Chicago - even the filtered water is good there.

CoCo LaPalm - Negril, Jamaica - just being able to have good coffee and wonderful warm banana bread while awaiting your breakfast while sitting on the beach in Negril, is worth a mention.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3143
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/07/14 12:26:39 (permalink)
PamF, you may remember the old Negril Yacht Club (if you've ever been there, you know how ironic that name is, it was a dump). They once served Lobster Benedict. After fifteen or twenty years, it still sticks in my mind as the single best thing I've ever eaten for breakfast.
PamF
Junior Burger
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/07/14 12:53:35 (permalink)
Yes, I remember the Yacht Club (been going to Negril since 80's). Now you can get Lobster Benedict for breakfast at Xtabi on the cliffs. Everyone faves about it (unfortunately, I am not a lobster lover).
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/07/14 18:27:03 (permalink)
Hoot Owl Cafe in Sandpoint, ID - for the hashbrowns supreme, and biscuits & gravy

Little Pat's Place in Burien, WA - haven't been there in probably 15 years, but I think it's still open. I used to love to go there for scrambled eggs, hashbrowns and a side of 2 teriyaki beef skewers of all things.

Beth's Cafe in Seattle - I used to go there frequently in my late teens/early 20s and that was a very long time ago. What an experience! The food was ok, made much better by the edge of staying up half the night.

There have been so many good breakfasts on the road, I just can't remember the names of places I visited one or twice.
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/07/15 18:50:26 (permalink)
there isnt 10 good breakfast places in florida lol but

lou mitchells chicago
johnny g lake worth florida
sarkis evanston ill

will always be my favorites
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/07/23 15:43:16 (permalink)
Lou Mitchell's in Chicago is freaking fantastic and the standard by which I judge all other breakfast joints.

But I have to tell you, if you're ever in Muskegon, Mich., check out the Getty Street Grill. There, a quarter-order of homefries is really enough for one. It's sort of an insiders joke when newcomers just ask for eggs, bacon, homefries, coffee. They get the full order, which is a monster pile of beautiful spuds.

Fkostas
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/05 12:28:49 (permalink)
I can only vouch for S. Florida. Here are my personal choices:

Lester's Diner (Ft. Laud and Margate, I prefer Margate location)
Le Trifons, Hollywood. French Canadian, friendly and cosy.
Nick's, Hallandale. Been there forever, great atmosphere.
Jack's Diner, Hollywood. Authentic funky Hollywood place, which is becoming rare due to "Gentrification" and Condo blight.
Stirling Country Kitchen, Hollywood. Great food, but rather dark and gloomy.

Gone but not forgotten:

Bogie's, Hollywood. I went there in early April and it was GONE. It had been there at least 15 years. Just disappeared.
Malibu East, Ft Lauderdale. Food hit or miss, but awesome atmosphere.
Not gone, but not the same:
Coral Rose Cafe, Hollywood. Since Rose sold it, it's not as bright, not as fresh, not as friendly. Used to have the best coffee anywhere, but now you practically have to beg for a second cup of watery crap.

Tourist alert:

Do not fall for the $33.00 Gospel brunch at the House of Blues, Orlando. Cold catfish with OUT cornmeal coating, gravy for biscuits watery and made with a spam-like substance, tasteless sweet rolls, and other mediocre offerings. This is NOT Southern food! The restaurant area it is served in is dark and cold. Orlando was not good for food in my opinion. Go to Waffle House instead.
phlmaestro2000
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/05 13:13:30 (permalink)
Morning Glory Diner a couple blocks off the Italian Market in South Philly serves a great breakfast. I had a fantastic pecan waffle there yesterday. It was one of the more dense waffles I can remember eating with just the right amount of pecans throughout. They served it with whipped peach better and maple syrup.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/05 13:31:36 (permalink)
Ok, I've got one for you. The buffet breakfast served at La Sirenuse hotel in Positano on the Amalfi coast in Italy.
In addition the all the than usual stuff like cereals etc. The selection of home cured meats and Italian cheese was amazing.
All the pastry items were housed baked that morning. And the fruit, melons and juices were all fresh and local grown.
The local melons and cured meats along with espresso alone were worth the trip.
But the best part was eating breakfast on the veranda over looking the town of Positano and the azure blue Mediterranean sea.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/05 14:03:31 (permalink)
Rise and Shine, on Pioneer Parkway, just west of Bowen in Arlington Tx. Any kind of omelet u ever heard of, more than u can eat served with unlimited in house made white or wheat toast and great hash browns or home fries.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/05 15:09:09 (permalink)
In order:
  • E. W. James & Sons in Union City, TN if they're still doing breakfast;
  • [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=116']Lasyone's[/url] in Natchitoches, LA; and
  • the ubiquitous Waffle House!

This just in: they're still doing it! Great meal.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/10 05:29:45 (permalink)
Every time I thought I had completed my list, I remembered another great place and had to bump someone off...!

Here are mine in order of "if I could pick any place to go which would it be":

1 Badlands Nat'l Park Lodge, SD. It was a whopping 13 yrs ago now that I stopped at an unremarkable looking park service building for breakfast and was treated to heuvos rancheros on Indian fry bread, easily the best breakfast of my life. I had a friend stop in two years ago and claims it is still there & good. [If anyone is in SD and can re-verify, I'd be eternally grateful!]

2 Cafe du Monde, NOLA. It's all about the atmosphere & location. Gotta go super early morning when it is quiet and the streets of the French Qtr are peaceful...

3 Johnnies Luncheonette, Newton MA. I'll have "The Center", over easy, substitute sweets for home fries, plain bagel instead of toast... mmmmmmmm. [I can fulfill this soon!]

4 Loveless, Nashville TN. Why I hear folks saying the biscuits aren't that great I dunno. I loved 'em!! Jams fantastic, great atmosphere.

5 P.J.s Pancakes, Princeton NJ. Great pancakes, fun college town spot. They used to let us carve on the tables, & there are three that say "Cal". I'm craving their choc chip pancakes with whipped cream. [Another I plan to fulfill soon.]

6 Peets & La Farine, Oakland CA. Non-traditional but a favorite combo: stop at Peets by the Claremont Hotel and then roll downhill to a great bakery for a fresh morning bun, amazing. Very close 2nd choice on pastry is a cinnamon twist from Nabolom Bakery off College Ave, Berkeley.

7 Charley's, Paia, Maui. If I didn't love home & Peets SO much this would rate higher... great great huge breakfasts, no tourists, local joint on Maui. Terrific food.

8 Wildflower Cafe, Trempeleau WI. Truly just a personal thing, I love this little town & the state park here... good breakfast [though heard on another forum this is closed for renovation?].

9 Pear Tree Inn, Whitley nr Melksham, Wiltshire [England]. Apologies for throwing this one in but honestly I have never ever had a B&B breakfast as great as this. Huge spread of fresh cold foods and pastries, yogurt, juices etc, then a full cooked English breakfast of anything you like [incl grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding, all meats etc]. Absolutely amazing.

10 Doyle's, Jamaica Plain MA. A very good breakfast, not necessarily the best in Boston but it's such a great spot - the old Boston feel of the place & liveliness etc, it's a fun outing. Plus I think the Benedict is great.

Cheers Breakfast Eaters!
ccf
FlippyTheRed
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/10 09:52:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Fkostas

Tourist alert:

Do not fall for the $33.00 Gospel brunch at the House of Blues, Orlando. Cold catfish with OUT cornmeal coating, gravy for biscuits watery and made with a spam-like substance, tasteless sweet rolls, and other mediocre offerings. This is NOT Southern food! The restaurant area it is served in is dark and cold. Orlando was not good for food in my opinion. Go to Waffle House instead.

A number of years ago we took my stepmother to the Gospel brunch at HoB in Hollywood for Mother's Day. We wound up being late for some reason and they had already lowered the house lights and started the performance - I was forced to visit the buffet in near total darkness. I learned the hard way that the 'mashed potatoes' and 'gravy' I selected were really grits and tartar sauce - Not a recommended combination.

The performance was good though.
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/10 10:44:22 (permalink)

I just have to keep touting this place because it is so damn good!

Black Bear Diner - 3 locations in Phoenix and many, many more throughout the western states.

My reviews:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20311&SearchTerms=black+bear+diner

DD
dug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/08/13 23:10:50 (permalink)
M henry-chicago

Tweet-chicago

Country kitchen-highland park il.

Egg harbor-lake forest il.

Le peep-evanston il.

The peppy grill-indianapolis in.

Loveless cafe-nashville tn.

Peter pan lounge-ft. lauderdale fl.

Puerta Saugua-south beach miami fl.

The Front porch-south beach miami fl.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to: