Top 10 Breakfast Places

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/09 15:26:19 (permalink)
I need to add to this thread. Ordinarily, I am not a big breakfast eater/affciando. Up until Sunday I would say the best I've had were the coconut pancakes at Polly's Pancake Parlor in New Hampshire. However, I just had a Belgian Waffle at a place in Portland Oregon called the Heathman, which tops Polly's. It was the single best breakfast dining out I've ever had. Not much is discussed in Roadfood when it comes to the Pacific Northwest, and probably less is even associated with breakfast, however, for all you Oregonians, I thought I'd share this find with you.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/09 15:35:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cecif

You know, I don't know buffetbuster - do you wanderingjew??
I had always avoided Wilmington when I was up there before (a lot) since it's kinda touristy and in winter chock full o' downhill skiers from NJ etc. (Actually everyone this weekend seemed to have NJ & CT plates!)

[Edit: wanderingjew, have you ever been to the Townshend Dam Diner?? I'll put it in a trip report but I see it's not reviewed on RF...]

Dot's can get crowded, however I've never had a problem finding a seat at the counter. Everytime I go it appears to be mostly locals, as I've yet to see an out of state plate (except for mine)

I've never been to Townshend Dam Diner, I looked at their website and all I can say is "Bison Burgers??? In Vermont???!!!" " />
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/09 15:44:14 (permalink)
tamandmik-
Isn't the Heathman the big luxury hotel in Portland? Is it in the hotel?
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/09 15:50:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew
Dot's can get crowded, however I've never had a problem finding a seat at the counter. Everytime I go it appears to be mostly locals, as I've yet to see an out of state plate (except for mine)
It's like Yogi Berra said about Toots Shor's, "Nobody goes there no more. It's too crowded."
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/09 16:09:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

tamandmik-

You're correct, Buffetbuster. I would have hardly classified my waffle as being in a 'roadfood' venue, that said, there were some breakfast items that were regionally noteworthy, such as salmon infused hash. I saw someone else eating the waffle entry, and decided it was for me. It was a great choice, plus I got to eat some of my cousin's hash, so it was a win-win.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/12 01:18:39 (permalink)
quote:
I've never been to Townshend Dam Diner, I looked at their website and all I can say is "Bison Burgers??? In Vermont???!!!" " />

LOL! I know I know! And a local waiting at the door behind me (popular spot!) was saying that's what they were going to have, they obviously knew the menu!

I should have had the grilled meatloaf sandwich but I had the meatloaf parmesan with pasta, salad & garlic bread. YUM! (Oh whoops this is a breakfast thread...)

So back to Dot's... there were a bunch of out-of-state plates and my (very very nice) neighbors at the counter were from Quad Cities, IL, so we talked food and VT sites.
IansMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/12 04:38:40 (permalink)
10 best in my book...in no order

1. Y. Ben House- SF Chinatown.. Dimsum
2. Lynn's Paradise Cafe- Louisville, KY
3. Noshville- Nashville, TN real H & H Bagels
4. Loveless
5. Towns End- SF CA.. nice place, great food
6. I can't remember the name of the place but... it's across the street from Towns End.. greasy Diner food.. owned by a family named Pappadappolus excellent cheap breakfests
7. South Beach Cafe- SF, CA creamy eggs, great french bread and salad for breakfest/
8. Kibbutz Messilot- Israel, boiled eggs, fried and scrambled, fresh bread, fruit, fresh yogurt, fresh picked veggies, hot milk, and cocoa and tea and coffee... good food..
9. Food Street, Hong Kong... a few bucks walking this street and you were full, the sate man, the dumpling woman.. MMmmm
10. My house

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/12 11:22:17 (permalink)
tamandmik-
Just because it is in a nice hotel doesn't mean it can't be Roadfood. Look at the Hot Brown sandwich from the Camberley Brown Hotel in Louisville. Salmon hash really sounds good! Next time in Portland, for sure.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/12 11:28:05 (permalink)
quote:

tamandmik-
Just because it is in a nice hotel doesn't mean it can't be Roadfood. Look at the Hot Brown sandwich from the Camberley Brown Hotel in Louisville. Salmon hash really sounds good! Next time in Portland, for sure.

I agree, I went to Kaffe Stuga at the Sheraton in Bloomington MN
for their afternoon Scandinavian Buffet back in 1999- now that was real Roadfood
In fact the entire trip was true Minnesota
Wild Rice Pancakes at Rick's Cafe in Minneapolis
Swedish Meatloaf and Swedish Apple Pie at the sadly missed Crabtree's Kitchen in Copas
Walleye and Wild Rice Soup at Tavern on Grand in St Paul and
Pheasant, Wild Rice, Beer Cheese Soup and Sour Cream Raisin pie at Anderson House in Wabasha!
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/24 22:25:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dayle long

wandering chew,
thanks for mentioning the windsor diner..my father owned that diner back in the early
60's when it was called the cherry hill diner.
cherry hill was still deleware township back then.
i grew up in that diner.

Just saw this Dayle-i really like that diner-great scrapple,grilled split sticky buns-vry traditional and comfortable- i wish we had jersey Diners in Miami- alas nothing close but thats why we hit the road!!
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/24 22:42:22 (permalink)
quote:

tamandmik-

yes, my wife and i had a very good dinner in their restaraunt- great seasonal menu w/local farm products and great selection of Wines from OR- YUM PINOT NOIR- not exactly roadfood but i'm not surprised breakfast was very good.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/27 11:41:59 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,
Here's my top 10 in no particulaer order...

1. Bubby's Pie Company, NYC
2. The Friendly Toast, Portsmouth, NH
3. Mariners Cove, Brielle, NJ
4. The Original Pancake House (one of a few chains I enjoy)
5. Versilles Diner, Farfield, NJ
6. OB-CO Donuts, Toms River, NJ
7. Sorrento's Deli, Freehold, NJ (amazing Pork roll and cheese sandwiches)
8. Flavors, the Buffet at Harrahs Las Vegas
9. Hot Krispy Kreme Donuts
10. The Chicken or the Egg, Long Beach Island, NJ
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/27 12:24:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DPuro329

Hi Everyone,

1. Bubby's Pie Company, NYC
3. Mariners Cove, Brielle, NJ
4. The Original Pancake House (one of a few chains I enjoy)
5. Versilles Diner, Farfield, NJ
6. OB-CO Donuts, Toms River, NJ
7. Sorrento's Deli, Freehold, NJ (amazing Pork roll and cheese sandwiches)
8. Flavors, the Buffet at Harrahs Las Vegas
9. Hot Krispy Kreme Donuts
10. The Chicken or the Egg, Long Beach Island, NJ

Nothing in the midwest/south/southwest/west coast or new england??!!- you don't travel??" />
cecif
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/27 17:23:57 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DPuro329

Hi Everyone,

Nothing in the midwest/south/southwest/west coast or new england??!!- you don't travel??" />

WJ... Now I don't live in NH, but if I did, I might be offended by part of that question...
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/27 23:18:25 (permalink)
WJ,
Hello from a fellow Jew, I don't get to travel as much as I would like, nor am I much of a breakfast person. Not counting a stopover in Miami, I haven't been in Florida since 1987 (family vacation to Disneyworld when I was in 3rd grade). I've never traveled to the south south of VA,except for Florida. Another family vacation took me out to California when I was high school, but I don't recall any memorable breakfasts. I did list one Vegas place on the list, the Buffet at Harrahs, a side note being that my first krispy kreme donut was in the Excalibur in Las Vegas, so thats two. Side note part 2, NJ is Dunkin Donut country and the one and only freestanding Krispy Kreme in the state is now closed. Thank you Cecif for noticing that NH is indeed in New England. I have traveled extensively throughout the region, but can't recall many memorable breakfasts, especially 4 years of dining hall breakfasts at UNH. My only experience in the Southwest was a Boy Scout trip to Colorado and New Mexico. Besides camp cooking, we ate mainly fast food/chains, yes I know I'm so ashamed. I guess with a few trips beyond, I've mainly traveled throughout the Northeast, but I would like to travel the US. Someday maybe.

Dave
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6395
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/28 12:02:09 (permalink)
WJ's comment got me to wondering. So I checked back in this thread and see that many confine their choices to one geographical location. There is no absolute 10 best breakfasts mainly because I doubt anyone could find all 10 best or come to a consensus. So the 10 best are those collectively each contributes and the New Jersey centric list of DPuro329 gives one a clue up if traveling to or through New Jersey. Four of the ten were not New Jersey centric.
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/28 12:58:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd WJ's comment got me to wondering. So I checked back in this thread and see that many confine their choices to one geographical location. There is no absolute 10 best breakfasts mainly because I doubt anyone could find all 10 best or come to a consensus. So the 10 best are those collectively each contributes and the New Jersey centric list of DPuro329 gives one a clue up if traveling to or through New Jersey. Four of the ten were not New Jersey centric.
But isn't that what makes such polls enlightening? One day, whether by design or happy accident, one of us will be in, say, Florida. Since someone else posted a list, we can use it then.
cecif
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/28 13:21:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
Originally posted by Davydd WJ's comment got me to wondering. So I checked back in this thread and see that many confine their choices to one geographical location. There is no absolute 10 best breakfasts mainly because I doubt anyone could find all 10 best or come to a consensus. So the 10 best are those collectively each contributes and the New Jersey centric list of DPuro329 gives one a clue up if traveling to or through New Jersey. Four of the ten were not New Jersey centric.
But isn't that what makes such polls enlightening? One day, whether by design or happy accident, one of us will be in, say, Florida. Since someone else posted a list, we can use it then.

I think that was Davydd's point.
It's all good & all useful!

(FWIW, my list happened to cover the country both from traveling widely and living many places, but I know there is another thread here called top ten or favorite "local" breakfast places, and then my list would be all MA stuff.)

[Edit: Just noticed this thread is one year old today... Happy Anniversary!!!!]
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6395
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/10/28 13:51:33 (permalink)
I don't have an official list but here are some of my recent breakfasts.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22052&SearchTerms=ruin,breakfast
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/11/13 12:59:54 (permalink)
no particular order:
1. Uncle Bill's St. Louis
2. Polly's Pancake Paror, NH
3. IHOP's seasonal pumpkin panceakes
4. Balaban's Sunday Brunch, St. Louis
5. Zippy's, Hawaii
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/11/13 15:02:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich
  • Frank's Diner in Kenosha, WI, but be warned, it's downtown, and be prepared to wait a while. When you go, get a garbage plate with home made bread,
On November 5th, the Kenosha News performed the ultimate service for its out of town readers by posting the recipe for Frank's garbage plate.

FRANKS DINER GARBAGE PLATE (the do-it-yourself version)

3 large eggs
1 cup hash browns
1/3 cup green peppers, chopped
1/3 cup onions, chopped
1 teaspoon jalapeno peppers, chopped
1/4 cup of any or all of the following: chopped tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, cubed ham, chopped bacon, crumbled sausage

Place the hashbrowns on your heating surface (a large electric frying pan or griddle is what I'd use) and add the green peppers, onions and jalapeno peppers. Mix them up with a spatula, then create a little mound with an indentation in the center (think volcano) and crack your eggs in that space. Mix the concoction around, letting it cook a little before adding your vegetables and meats. Continue cooking until the hashbrowsn are slightly crispy and meats are done.

How did they omit the cheese (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of your choice, and added while the hashbrowns are just getting crisp, based on observation) in Wisconsin? My last Frank's garbage plate was a half garbage plate (about the size of this recipe) with chorizo sausage and blue cheese, and delicious.
cecif
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/11/13 15:45:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Kahuna Kooks

no particular order:
5. Zippy's, Hawaii

Okay, that's a WHOLE state... could you be more specific? (town? island??)
koblak
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/11/13 18:50:45 (permalink)
the Omega Grill in Geneseo NY. Greek, of course.
cameron074
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/11/14 11:47:54 (permalink)
The budd lake diner in NJ, and both the Merrit Canteen and Mr. Mac's Canteen in CT. Love em.
ajp1111
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/11/19 22:49:45 (permalink)
In no particular order:

Shakers Restaurant - Glendale,CA - fabulous breakfast quesadilla
Olympia - Deerfield Beach, FL
Blueberry Hill - LaGrange, IL
Barney Greengrass - NYC - great lox, smoked fish, bagels
Fox and Obel - Chicago - Super specialty food store w/cafe
West Egg - Chicago and suburban locations
Blue Plate - Lakeside, MI - organic specialties
Carnegie Deli - You'll never see such an order of bacon!!
Millstone - Rapid City, SD
Lou Mitchell's - Chicago - terrific french toast and skillet breakfasts
Bigdave125
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/12/01 14:14:59 (permalink)
Once again, I can't speak for the rest of the country, but my favorite breakfast restaurant in San Diego is Adam's Steak and Eggs in Mission Valley, on hotel circle.

The steak in the steak and eggs meal is about 2 inches thick and is outstanding! Man, making my mouth water just thinking about it. As a matter of a fact, my wife and I are getting ready to go there now! Grin!

Bigdave125
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2007/12/03 07:09:15 (permalink)
My travel is limited to New England, NY, NJ, PA & OH...I have to say that the best breakfast that I ever had was in Mars Hill, Maine at a place called the Blue Moose.
A VERY long drive for a good breakfast but if you are in that part of Northeast Maine....check it out.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2008/01/09 13:29:51 (permalink)
cecif...zippy's is a chain that serves authentic local food usch as locomoco, spam mushubi and other island favs. they are scattered across all the islands and even have mail order. their competition is L&L Barbecue which is famous fro their plate lunches.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2435
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2008/01/09 14:08:46 (permalink)
I've got an L&L Barbecue across the street from me here in Lower Manhattan, NYC. Not really my thing, but my gf and a buddy of mine love it! Here's a pic I just took from my balcony on the 24th floor:

quote:

cecif...zippy's is a chain that serves authentic local food usch as locomoco, spam mushubi and other island favs. they are scattered across all the islands and even have mail order. their competition is L&L Barbecue which is famous fro their plate lunches.
cecif
RE: Top 10 Breakfast Places 2008/01/09 21:17:01 (permalink)
quote:

I'll be in Lahaina again in two weeks, don't remember seeing one there but will make sure to check!

LOL on the photo, billyboy!!!!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1