Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives

Author
justia
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/07/13 01:30:41 (permalink)

Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives

Angie, Is buying her first business and would like to serve the Top Ten favorite Deli Foods.. Also Customer Incentives to keep coming back. She already has the town begging for more Thursdays only Homemade Taco Soup.. It usually is gone by 200pm... What works best in your Delis..

13 Replies Related Threads

salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/13 17:49:37 (permalink)
    I don't own a deli but have eaten in my share. My favorite items are:

1. Double decker egg and salmon salad sandwich. I love this sandwich!

2. Good homemade chopped liver pate served either on rye or with chopped egg and a basket of bagel chips

3. I always loved deli salad plates/cold plate My favorite jewish deli as a child had choice of egg/tuna/chicken/salmon salad served in a big scoop on a plate with a scoop of good homemade potato salad, coleslaw and a fresh bread basket with bagel chips, breadsticks and sliced fresh rye.

4. Good soups Russian borscht, matzoh ball chicken soup

5. Apple Jacks(pastry)

6. Good Pickles, pickled beets and pickled eggs- pickled mushrooms or carrots would be a bonus.

7. Rice Crispy Squares and good cookies. I typically don't want much for dessert after a deli sandwich

Incentives: Buy 10 your next is free. Works for sandwiches, soups, coffee. Definately keeps works to get me to go there rather than picking another place of the same nature.
    AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/15 19:49:19 (permalink)
    Where I live, popular items that tend to sell out are chilled tomato soup and chilled pumpkin soup (especially in the summer), as well as french onion soup and lobster bisque. I can attest to this as a customer because I am often deprived of them for arriving too late!
    As for customer incentives, you can't go wrong with good food and good service and a nice atmosphere appropriate to the ambience you want to project for your target customers --- those are more important than coupons, etc.!

Andrea
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/16 03:11:39 (permalink)
    A huge Corned Beef or Rueben sandwich with Half sour pickles!
    Tangy coleslaw..
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/16 07:48:00 (permalink)
    Sour pickle discs in a bowl put on the table when someone sits down. Top shelf Corned Beef, Pastrami, Hot Dogs, and French Fries on the menu. Must have best available rye bread and spicy mustard.

John
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/16 09:52:27 (permalink)
    As long as your food is excellent and in decent portions, your service is top rate, and your establishment is always clean and refreshing (ambiance); you should have no problems. Stay away from the "reduced price" menu items and most importantly do not offer a child's menu (other than one or two basic choices). Pay your help a decent wage that reflects your pride, also. Finally; don't expand your menu until you are capable of doing so. I would rather have the choice of a few items prepared expertly vs. a miriad of item choices prepared in a mediocre manner. Your customers will appreciate that.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/16 10:22:43 (permalink)
    Depends upon what you mean by "deli". In New York, it has two distinct meanings: A kosher (or kosher-style) delicatessen like Katz's or Carnegie, serving smoked meats, franks, omlettes, soups, chopped liver and sanwdiches of every kind (a dying breed of restaurants); or a "deli" meaning a cross between a sandwich shop and a small grocery (much, much more common). Come to think of it, pretty much any store that sells sandwiches to go is referred to as a "deli" in NY.

My favorites in both:
    The "Katz's" style place- you gotta have great pastrami and chopped liver, and killer rye bread.
    The "local deli" type place- I love a breaded chicken cutlet on a hero roll with melted Aerican cheese and lots of Russian dressing.

As far as incentives, the only thing that keeps me coming back is great food.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/16 10:46:22 (permalink)

Salami sandwiches work for me. Currently, I am having a hard time finding a good salami sandwich using the same great hard Italian salami that can be found in San Francisco. This would be on a hard roll with provolone with mustard. Yummy.
    I went to the deli section of my supermarket asking for their Italian hard salami. They gave me a slice of the Boar's Head brand. I tasted it and said "No thanks...." There are those who will say that kosher salami is important too. I suspect that we could fill up the board with what meats should go between two slices of bread. Any liverwurst fans out there?
    Corned beef and pastrami have received mentions. I love Reuben's and hot pastrami on a kaiser roll.

Here on the East Coast, -everybody- uses Boar's Head. To me, that makes nothing special about most of these delis. They all have the same tasting meat. Try to find another purveyor, it may have a cost benefit as long as you use a brand that does not give the perception that you are cheap, just unique...

Club sandwiches sell pretty well but I hate to cut them into the four little wedges. I would just cut them in half and say that's how you do it.
    As much as I think they are an abomination to the noble tortilla, wraps seem to work well too.

There was a poll taken on the home page regarding summertime salads. I think potato won out, but I am a macaroni salad type of guy. Cole slaw is important too. My mom loves seafood salad which seems to be made with tiny bay shrimp and that mock-crab. It is those side dishes that add on to sales, so it would be wise to consider a variety of them.

Justia...The fact that the original post mentions taco soup says something different about Angie's clientele and location. You don't mention this and about the size, seating and what the kitchen is like.

Are there stoves, burners to make quick hot food dishes? What are the abilities of this place without overextending its capabilities?

mark

sinkiller
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/20 11:27:05 (permalink)
    Senior Citizen discount cards... 10% off. 60 yrs. min age
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6898
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/20 15:09:07 (permalink)
    Your food should be insentive enough. I'd never give anything away......I'd have charged for water if I could have in my restaurants.

For the top 10 deli items, I'd go with corned beef, pastrami, ham, roast beef, turkey, chicken, salami sandwiches (just to name a few). Killer simple soups like chicken noodle or cream of potato/leek. Potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw. Oh, I almost forgot....kosher dill pickles!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/20 18:04:52 (permalink)
    also, have real good charred burgers , and grilled chicken dishes, and "daily homemade comfort food" specials like "homemade meatloaf on Tuesday", "chicken pot pie" on Wed, etc so people can go there one day for pastrami, and then the next day for a "non-traditional" deli item, like a burger. Those rotating daily specials will keep people having something new to look forward to....

But , of course, most important, is great pastrami and corned beef, and matzoh ball soup!
    That's really what a deli is all about.

I just ate at a real good deli in San Diego in their Hillcrest section. It was called the City Deli, and it really strives to be a good fit in the neighborhood.....(and it succeeds!)

Lots of creative sounding menu items, (homemade) besides their good pastrami, that the owner told me he gets special from NY.

That's another recommendation: have your deli try to really be "part of the community".

good luck and enjoy!
    ellen

ellen
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/20 21:13:13 (permalink)
    I'm all for Chili Dogs! But also find it hard to turn away a Po-Boy or decent Roast Beef Deluxe...
    sinkiller
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/21 15:23:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Your food should be insentive enough. I'd never give anything away......I'd have charged for water if I could have in my restaurants.

For the top 10 deli items, I'd go with corned beef, pastrami, ham, roast beef, turkey, chicken, salami sandwiches (just to name a few). Killer simple soups like chicken noodle or cream of potato/leek. Potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw. Oh, I almost forgot....kosher dill pickles!

Justia, asked for incentives, a Senior Citiaen discount card is an incentive.

A repeat customer due to a small discount, is well worth the small hit.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Top 10 favorite Deli Items and Customer Insentives 2006/07/21 15:34:17 (permalink)
    Adjudicator hit the nail on the head. One addition is a NYC trick. Name sandwiches after either good/great customers or famous people. I used to have a sandwich named after me at a deli(now a Starbucks) on Lex and 50th just beside the Lowe's Hotel. I took customers there just so they could see the advertisement.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1