Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43
KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Thu, 12/26/13 8:28 PM (permalink)
Our motto in our vending trailer is

"We have nothing to hide so the sauce is on the side"

And I don't understand the vinegar based sauces, we were in rochester mn over labor day weekend and ate at two BBQ places that have good reviews, both were terrible but the second one was so bad I dunked my fork full of what they called brisket into the sauce expecting a sweet BBQ sauce but was suppressed with the strong vinegar taste, I spit it out right away, the second place had good root beer though.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
    Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Thu, 12/26/13 8:39 PM (permalink)
    Okay, Atlanta is THE top barbecue city in the United States of America.

It a fact!

Can someone define what Atlanta-style barbecue entails?

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
      Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Thu, 12/26/13 11:28 PM (permalink)
      MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

Although I'm a Texan who normally eschews the use of sauce with well smoked BBQ, I do enjoy a small amount of sauce to accompany my BBQ as a "condiment". I enjoy both sweet ketchup based sauces and a good vinegar based sauce when available. Vinegar based sauces are somewhat uncommon in Texas but The Slow Bone BBQ in Dallas offers both. A really good vinegar based sauce that I enjoy for dipping their superlative corn bread and hushpuppies in and a very good cumin infused ketchup based sauce. But, I won't eat any BBQ that comes smothered in sauce. Of any kind!

Same with me, I use sauce as a condiment. 

And, I had some business in The Canyon recently and made a point to try The Slow Bone for lunch.  As it was around 2 when I got there they were out of ribs, but the pork tenderloin was wonderful. 

And, indeed, Eastern Carolina-style sauce is a wonderful dip for hushpuppies & cornbread!

Jim, glad you finally got to Slow Bone and acknowledged my tip regarding their vinegar based sauce for the hushpuppies. I think their beautifully smoked brisket is the best in Dallas. Especially the more "moist" cuts. Far superior to Pecan Lodge's over rated and over smoked brisket. Next time get there earlier and enjoy Slow Bones terrific pork ribs.

Twinwillow

Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Thu, 12/26/13 11:30 PM (permalink)
        Big_g

Sauce ain't the boss...its all about the meat and the TLC to get it smoked.

Big_g

Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 12:31 AM (permalink)
          As a KCBS judge, it always kills me when the turn in box is presented to us and it looks like all of the meat has been shellacked to a fine color and you have to go through a roll of paper towels after each bite.   Yes it looks pretty, but a lot can be hidden by sauce...and the flavor profiles the cooks are trying to achieve usually suffer.
          I'll take one of Louie M's naked beef ribs, or Kruetz's brisket any day or Smitty's Ribs...with white bread, a jalapeno sausage link and some dipping sauce on the side.

rexfullerupperville

• Total Posts: 7
            Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 1:35 AM (permalink)
            MetroplexJim

Here's my five BBQ Cities, food-wise:

1)  Goldsboro, NC
            2)  Greater Austin, TX
            3)  Kansas City, MO
            4)  Memphis, TN
            5)  Lexington, NC

This is a good list! Definitely tasted the best barbeque in Texas!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
              Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 8:11 AM (permalink)
              JRPfeff

Well, according to Cook's Country "Atlanta brisket" involves braising in onion soup mix and Coke...

Twinwillow

Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 10:35 AM (permalink)
                ScreamingChicken

JRPfeff

Well, according to Cook's Country "Atlanta brisket" involves braising in onion soup mix and Coke...

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 409
                  Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 10:44 AM (permalink)
                  JRPfeff

Okay, Atlanta is THE top barbecue city in the United States of America.
                  It a fact!

Nope.  In fact, I'll have an article appearing at Taste Trekkers next month arguing that there is no such thing, as I can easily find five Atlanta-area BBQ joints that don't taste a blessed thing like each other.

You could easily argue that Atlanta represents the point where Memphis-by-way-of-northern-Alabama -style peters out, going east.  You have a number of Alabama transplants like the Williamson Bros. and a few chains like Jim 'n Nick's that bring that style.  

You've got some of the homegrown "classic Atlanta" style of dry, coarsely-chopped pork, as seen at Old Hickory House, Mr. D's, Georgia Barbecue Co (former owner of the chain Jilly's, apparently), and Glenn's in Conyers.  This style seems to be slowly dying out.

The western 'burbs have the Hudson's-style sauce, seen in nearly a dozen places, with the meat served drowned in blood-red, thin, vinegar-pepper-Worcestershire sauce.

You have some of the competition circuit champions setting up shop.  There's one impressive family tree that stretches from the original Sam & Dave's to the two, now solo, and their three locations, to Community Q and Grand Champion.  And you musn't discount Ziegler's and The Oink Joint, also competition regulars.

Oak has supplanted the more expensive hickory in a lot of these places.  Southern Pride smokers are increasingly common.

I am second to nobody in my love and admiration for the celebrated barbecue in Texas, Memphis, North Carolina, and so on, but the genuine truth, for anybody willing to spend some time and energy here instead of rushing through to more press-worthy places in other states, is that some of the tastiest barbecue joints on the planet are right here.

(And while my earlier post seems to have been eaten, I'd like to add that Urbanspoon lists 268 open barbecue restaurants in the Atlanta metro area, and that number does *not* include wings and soul food places, because I myself edited them all out.)

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                    Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 11:27 AM (permalink)
                    Heartbreaksoup - Thanks for the info. It does make sense after thinking about it. Why wouldn't there be good barbecue in Atlanta? It being the melting pot of the Southeast would lead to several varieties being available.

Have you posted any Atlanta barbecue reviews at Roadfood? That may the best way to get ATL BBQ on the Roadfood map. I'd consider driving down some weekend for a tour of the best of the restaurants.

Jim

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 409
                      Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 11:37 AM (permalink)
                      Not here.  I have my own site, Jim:

http://marieletseat.com/barbecue/

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                        Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 1:54 PM (permalink)
                        Twinwillow
                        ScreamingChicken
                        JRPfeff
                        I just checked the TV listings and this episode is actually going to be on Create TV tonight at 7:30 CST.  The brisket is described as "succulent"...

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
                          Re:Top 5 BBQ Cities in U.S. Fri, 12/27/13 7:24 PM (permalink)
                          Heartbreaksoup

Not here.  I have my own site, Jim:

http://marieletseat.com/barbecue/

Nice website, Marie. Too bad you didn't join us at the Brick Pit for the Glee Club meeting----I think you'd have been a welcome addition!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com