The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Top 64 Pizzerias in the country

collinf

• Total Posts: 159
Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Tue, 02/16/10 5:16 PM (permalink)
Via Slice.com, Ed Levine, Adam Kuban and a few others sampled pizzas from pizza restaurants in four major regions of the US to find out who had the best pizza.   Posted on Adam's Slice website, and on Rachael Ray's magazine website, here they are:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/02/pizzeria-bianco-wins-rachael-ray-pizza-madness-bracket.html#comments

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/every-day-living/trip-advice/food-trip-advice/the-search-for-americas-best-pizzeria
<message edited by collinf on Tue, 02/16/10 5:19 PM>

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
    Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Tue, 02/16/10 11:07 PM (permalink)
    Well.....I am just not sure about these being the top 64 in the country...they sure are not the midwest finest.   As for Rachael Ray....enough has already been said about her.

collinf

Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 9:28 AM (permalink)
      This is all subjective, of course.  Who's to say which place has the best pizza?  For starters, you are looking at 2 main judges plus some fill-in judges, and not all of the pizzas were the same.  You had margherita, plain cheese pizza, white pizza, etc., and it was certainly not a blinded taste-test, either.  The judges were apparently all looking for a certain "something".  Witness their final pick in the Midwest region. Great Lakes may serve a great pizza, but it sure is not indicative of the kind of pizza typically found in the Midwest.

So, with all of that, take the final judgment with grain of salt the size of Rhode Island.  But in any case, I still find the critiques and comments fun to read.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
        Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 9:36 AM (permalink)
        If Rachel Ray says its Yummo then it is...Russ

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
          Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 10:56 AM (permalink)
          Yawn. Not at your topic, collinf; it was good for you to post it, because it deserves to be yawned at.

This sort of thing is the very antithesis of what we are trying to do here as participants in Roadfood. The concept of rating and ranking pizza, burgers, or anything like this is flawed, and wrong. It is OK to say that this one is good and that one is bad; that is obvious. But to play them off against one another is a lazy writer's game, one that insults the reader and reduces the chef's/cook's/bakers art to a number.

Eat and enjoy your food. Don't play with it. Don't make it less than what it is by trying to make it more than what it is; don't make it less important by trying to make it more important.
          <message edited by Mosca on Wed, 02/17/10 10:57 AM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
            Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 2:47 PM (permalink)
            Eh, it is just the opinion of a few people. Take it with a dash of garlic. That's no different than say, wanderingjew ranking his roadfood eaten at the end of the year right here on Roadfood.com. It is just a snapshot take by someone willing to take it on and with the resources to find a reasonable sample. If the judges are experienced food critics they may have more cred than most people. There is also luck involved and a little bit of savvy promotion by the owners. To get culled down to 64 you probably had to have gotten attention prior, like being frequently reviewed, made news, gotten on cable food shows, etc.

Of course, the closer you are to some of the main areas the more nitpicky you might be. I know Minneapolis and also know debate would go on forever about Punch Pizza being on the list as its best. I've read that debate online. Me, I am still sampling and forming opinions. I disagree about 2Amys in Washington DC being the best representative from there as I prefer Pizzeria Paridiso on Dupont Circle. Yeah it can go on and on. However, if you lived in Mooseantler, MN or some such off beat place you might be happy to get the chance to sample any one of the 64 pizzas and be happy.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
              Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 2:55 PM (permalink)
              I figure if it puts me on to new places I haven't tried or even heard of, then it's an education for me and an opportunity for new and delicious adventures when (and if) I travel!

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 4:11 PM (permalink)
                billyboy

I figure if it puts me on to new places I haven't tried or even heard of, then it's an education for me and an opportunity for new and delicious adventures when (and if) I travel!

Restaurants Recipes Digest Forums Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Nothing wrong with writing about great pizza; it's the pairing them off in brackets and rating them against each other that is wrong. Based on the methodology used, you would probably not go to the restaurants that lost the first round, on the assumption that the differences between them and the winners were large, and your time in the area and budget for pizza and desire for variety limited.

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                  Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 4:46 PM (permalink)
                  I love these things!
                  A lot of fun.

collinf

Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 5:25 PM (permalink)
                    billyboy

That's how I tend to look at it.  It's too subjective to begin with.  Of course, if  Rachael Ray's people paid me to do this for their magazine, I go along with it.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                      Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Wed, 02/17/10 10:42 PM (permalink)
                      This is a "hot" topic right now at the Dallas Morning News Eats Blog.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                        Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Thu, 02/18/10 1:37 AM (permalink)
                        Naming Pizza Bianco the best in the USA just frosts my Pumpkiin. I live in the PHX areea and have eaten their Pizza on several occasions and it's nothing special. Just an overhyped, overpriced Pizza. I've eaten many other Pizzas from other areas that put Bianco to shame. It's a product of an excellent PR Firm.

Gumbo191

• Total Posts: 71
                          Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Fri, 02/19/10 10:56 PM (permalink)
                          What has been your experience?

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                            Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Sat, 02/20/10 12:02 PM (permalink)
                            What a shock that three out of the  S & SW bracket are from Dallas, the corporate home of Pizza Hut:  Coal Vines, Campania, and Olivella's.

When we moved here five years ago Dallas was a pizza desert.  Now there are many really good pies to be had.   The free market is alive and well in Texas! 

Frankly, I don't understand how Olivella's didn't get past the first round; they serve a magnificent Neopolitan pie.  At least the Atlanta pie that beat them got to the final eight and then was beaten by the eventual  "champion".

I agree with Foodme, I've seen Pizza Bianco all over T.V. - even the major networks.  They must have a fantastic PR firm.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                              Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Sat, 02/20/10 2:59 PM (permalink)
                              MetroplexJim

I agree with Foodme, I've seen Pizza Bianco all over T.V. - even the major networks.  They must have a fantastic PR firm.

I have not found a PR firm connection, but I have found a Ed Levine connection. Back in 2004, Ed Levine wrote this "feature" in the Dining section of The New York Times:
                              http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/07/dining/07PIZZ.html
                              He also proclaimed Pizza Bianco's pizza the best in the US in his 2005 book, A Slice of Heaven. Vogue's Jeffrey Steingarten  also wrote about Pizza Bianco back then. Next thing you know, lots of TV shows, blogs, and magazines with no proof of having sent anyone to Phoenix in advance start raving about Pizza Bianco.

This latest "Best of" list came about because Rachael Ray's magazine
                              commissioned Ed Levine and Adam Kuban to find 64 good pizza restaurants. Any surprise who the winner was?

If Chris Bianco had stayed in New York City, he could have received a similar ranking. You can the boy out of the Bronx.....

On a sad note, Chris Bianco is not making the pizzas himself at the present time on doctor's orders:
                              http://www.azcentral.com/business/news/articles/2010/01/27/20100127chris-bianco-gone.html

<message edited by David_NYC on Sat, 02/20/10 3:01 PM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                                Re:Top 64 Pizzerias in the country Sat, 02/20/10 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                PR builds on itself. Martha Stewart gave Pizza Bianco a big boost on TV and once you've made publicity by plan or luck it grows on itself. Maybe that is lazy journalism with others following suit. It even happens here on Roadfood.com.

The wood-fired Neapolitan style pizza is the hot commodity. The best ingredients are so well known that I think you can find good ones now all over the country. What separates them is the publicity and maybe the ambiance of the place.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com