Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love

Author
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
2013/07/26 14:42:38 (permalink)

Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love

Even fancy pants chefs love a good nosh at a fast food joint. The overall winner was In-N-Out. Never have had the pleasure, but I'll remedy that one of these days. 5 Guys got a mention, but I've grown rather tired of their burgers. They just don't taste that good. Frankly, I'd rather have a Double Rally Burger with cheese. It was nice to see the love being handed out to some small regionals, though!

http://www.delish.com/coo...=1445_13415670#slide-1

13 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/07/26 19:03:39 (permalink)
    That may be the dumbest list out of all the lists ever posted on here. I'm glad 
    I know almost none of the chefs on there. Looks like the author's buddies or something.
    Jeez.

Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/07/26 20:48:43 (permalink)
    You've seriously never heard of Tyler Florence, Alton Brown, Guy Fieri or Rick Bayless? I'm not familiar with many of the chefs they listed on there, but even I am familiar some of their restaurants. Just the ones I mentioned are well known right here on RF. It's not a list of RF joints, just their fav fast food places, some of which are local chains or just joints. Shoot a couple might even qualify as Road Food.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/07/27 00:16:49 (permalink)
    Nope. Never heard of them . :)
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/01 13:15:50 (permalink)
    No suprise there is love for In-n-Out.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18664
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/01 14:08:37 (permalink)
    Thank you Dean Fearing. I didn't know you could still get Pearl beer.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7030
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/01 14:10:11 (permalink)
    If In-N-Out is good enough for Thomas Keller, it's good enough for me.  There's one not far from Desert Hot Springs, CA.  I ate there a couple of times and thought it was pretty good.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/01 15:08:15 (permalink)
    The owner of the famous Inn at Little Washington declares that his favorite stop on his day off is at a Burger King.  I would not stop there if they were giving food away!
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/01 15:27:59 (permalink)

I still "don't get" the In-N-Out craze.  When out in CA, I tried them a few times, at a few different locations, just to make sure the first time or two weren't a fluke.   The burgers were a slight notch better than BK or McD's.  Not nearly as good as Five Guys, Shake Shack, or even California's other chain  ...."Fatburger".    The only part that made In-N-Out slighty better than McD's or BK is In-N-Out's generous portions or fresh lettuce and onion on the burger.   The burger meat itself was a blah, plain 'ol FF style burger.   ... And the fries ...yuck!    I tried them at 2 separate locations, again... to make sure it wasn't a fluke, .....and they were near the worst I have ever had. 

I think their not-so-secret   "secret menu"  makes people think they are getting some sort of insider special meal, when all they're getting is marketing hype with added condiments.

Would I go to In-N-Out again?  Sure, if I lived ear one, and I wanted something quick.  But never for their fries,  And, I wouldn't pass by a Five Guys or Fatburger to go to In-N-Out.  

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/08/01 15:31:24
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/01 15:55:55 (permalink)
    Hint: you have to ask for them well done. That said, I trust my own instincts enough to not care what celebrity chefs are eating.
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1422
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/02 08:34:36 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

I still "don't get" the In-N-Out craze.  When out in CA, I tried them a few times, at a few different locations, just to make sure the first time or two weren't a fluke.   The burgers were a slight notch better than BK or McD's.  Not nearly as good as Five Guys, Shake Shack, or even California's other chain  ...."Fatburger".    The only part that made In-N-Out slighty better than McD's or BK is In-N-Out's generous portions or fresh lettuce and onion on the burger.   The burger meat itself was a blah, plain 'ol FF style burger.   ... And the fries ...yuck!    I tried them at 2 separate locations, again... to make sure it wasn't a fluke, .....and they were near the worst I have ever had. 

I think their not-so-secret   "secret menu"  makes people think they are getting some sort of insider special meal, when all they're getting is marketing hype with added condiments.

Would I go to In-N-Out again?  Sure, if I lived ear one, and I wanted something quick.  But never for their fries,  And, I wouldn't pass by a Five Guys or Fatburger to go to In-N-Out.  

Glenn

My sentiments exactly!!
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/02 12:06:35 (permalink)
    5 Guys, FatBurger, Sonic, Jack-in-the-box...  I put them all a level above in-and-out, which is still above McD's and BK.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/02 13:14:14 (permalink)
    I really don't eat at fast food places, in large part because I don't eat burgers. 
    I'd never heard of Capriotti's.  Just looked it up online, and see it is a Las Vegas-based chain.  Looks like the nearest locations to me would be in Iowa or Wisconsin. Anyone ever tried it?   They claim to serve fresh roast turkey and beef.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5158
    Re:Top Chefs Tell All: The Fast-Food Restaurants They're Not Ashamed to Love 2013/08/02 14:34:13 (permalink)
    I think the 2 Madison locations have been around awhile but I haven't visited either.  It seems like a pretty good concept and according to the company website the turkey is actual roasted turkey and not turkey loaf.  Hopefully that's true of the beef as well. 

It's based in Vegas today but the first shop opened in Wilmington, Delaware.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1