Top Dog in Rockport, MA

Author
goldwingpapa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/07/07 19:50:46 (permalink)

Top Dog in Rockport, MA

How come this one has not been visited by the Roadfood Hot Dog hunters?? This is one of the tops and should be up near the top on the list. Their site is topdogrockport.com
It's worth visiting the internet site and ESPECIALLY worth a visit to the Top Dog! We visit Rockport once each year and definitely include this as one of our stops.

Gene Mark
Springfield, VA

9 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/07/08 08:09:22 (permalink)
    It's probably due to the fact that that area of the state is pretty barren of hot dog joints. I honestly can't think of a hot dog stand on Cape Ann.
    Rockport is not on the beaten path so to speak, you have to go out of your way to get there. It's not an area for kids, not much there for them other than the small beach.
    Most people traveling to Rockport are looking for a lobster dinner or clams with a great view.
    I've heard good things of the stand though. And knowing the demographics of the area I'm surprised their still in business.
    Chow Jim
    goldwingpapa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/07/08 22:25:24 (permalink)
    Your loss. At least WE get to have a great dog when visiting. As for staying in business, they are very busy on weekends and weekdays.
    I didn't realize kids are the only ones that eat hot dogs. Like I said, your loss.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/07/09 08:29:16 (permalink)
    Actually it's no loss for me at all.
    You asked why it wasn't on the list for a spot to be visited, and I tryed to give you a possible answer.
    And no it's not only kids that eat hot dogs, I had one last year at Saratoga, Nathens, it was good. I may just very well have one this year also.
    The majority of tourists visiting that area are looking forward to dinning on seafood, that's why the lack of barker stands. Also they can achive their quest for a good hot dog anytime much closer to home.
    Chow Jim!
    DandyDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/07/12 23:28:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldwingpapa

Your loss. At least WE get to have a great dog when visiting. As for staying in business, they are very busy on weekends and weekdays.
    I didn't realize kids are the only ones that eat hot dogs. Like I said, your loss.

WOW...I sense alittle defense coming from a poster that just visits the HD joint once a year. Why the nastiness??? Yes I can see LOVING a certain place ie. wing joint, Italian, Mexican, Greek, etc....but come on...I LOVE hot dogs just as much as the next person but hey Goldwingpapa, don't take it personally. BTW...is this your son-in-laws joint that hasn't taken off the ground yet and you're trying to promote it through this site???? Be honest Dude.....
    DandyDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/07/12 23:32:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldwingpapa

Oh, one more thing....it sounds like you work your vacation around this place, either that or you're a stalker....knowing that they are busy weekends and weekdays. Do you do anything else on your vacation or just hang out at Top Dog?????
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/07/13 08:51:44 (permalink)
    They appear to normally be closed from Columbus Day to Easter.

Well, at least the menu boasts that they serve all-meat hot dogs.
    two with the works
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/09/06 08:51:37 (permalink)
    I have visited Rockport in the off season several times and have been repeatedly disappointed that Top Dog was closed. In speaking with a local innkeeper Top Dog was given high marks. Needless to say, my expectations were high. I love good hot dogs.
    My wife and I visited late yesterday afternoon. For my wife, it was just a cheese dog along with some of my order of Chili Cheese Fries.
    For me, a Dirty Dog and an Italian Greyhound.
    Very disappointing. The dogs themselves were bland. The toppings were poorly done. I can only guess that the owners are burnt out. It could have, and should have been so much better.
    I have little respect for those who showered awards on Top Dog. Phantom Gourmet, Best of Boston, etc. "shame on you guys" Your credibility is suffering.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2434
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/09/06 09:40:34 (permalink)
    The folks who do most of the hot dog hunting/tours usually try to maximize on their trips in areas where there are many stands. If Top Dog is the only one in that area, it is unlikely they will organize a trip or get anyone to go if they are only able to hit one place. Especially with the cost of gas these days. Most of the trips end up being in NJ, CT or north of NYC as there seems to be a fairly high concentration of stands in those areas.

If you really want to get people interested in checking out your favorite place, bring a camera, take some sweet pics, do a write-up and post it here so as to whet our appetites for it. Saying that it is good is one thing, but showing us pictures and telling us what it is about it that makes it tops for you (type of dog they use, quality of service, anything unique about it like toppings, etc..) would definitely go a long way towards getting people out there. Some other Roadfooders have posted about hot dog places in MA and gotten people to try them. Just my two cents.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Top Dog in Rockport, MA 2008/09/11 12:57:08 (permalink)
    I was on Bearskin neck yesterday with some friends from out of town.
    As the ladies were popping in and out of the shops the other gentleman and myself were on the corner, lunch time and I was watching this shop.
    Despite the beautifull day and plenty of foot trafick this place wasn't doing that much of a business. It appeared that most of the lunch business was from other shop keepers. I can also say the same for the borito type place that I seen there.
    I would assume that if you had kids in tow it may please them. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1